Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

cormac posted:

I have a 160gb Ipod classic with about 120gb of music on it. I want to transfer all of this music to my new windows 7 pc.

I've had a look at sharepod and it seems to be the right tool for the job, but can anyone with firsthand experience tell me if it will import album art and tags correctly, or am I going to be stuck manually editing thousands of broken files? I'm not bothered about play counts or ratings, just Album/Artist/Title and cover art.

It's been a long time since I've used SharePod, but if I recall correctly, it does a pretty decent job with all of that (except, like you said, play counts/ratings). I'd test it by copying a few files to the new PC first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

benisntfunny posted:

This has been fixed.

A few scattered matched songs of mine are still censored. Is there an easy fix for it?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Polo-Rican posted:

I know I'm 6 months late but I was just forced to update to iTunes 11 (just so I could put photos on an iPod touch, ugh) and wow, what a mess this thing is. Why is the "Songs" tab a traditional column view yet "Albums" must be a grid view yet "Artists" must be a ... different kind of column view? Since all three simply involve browsing music, shouldn't / couldn't they be the same? Why introduce so many drastically different paradigms? The previous box on top was outdated - the green tint mimicked the screen of a 1st gen iPod - but why the new blue to steel grey gradient? What does that mimic, what is that saying? Why have that little round arrow button suddenly appear next to every song title on hover when all of the actions in that menu are available in the right click menu? Why, if you click "Go To [album or song]", does it pop over to the album tab if you're in the songs tab (but not if you're in the artists tab)? Why only show 4 shared libraries if your screen real estate allows for more (i'm in an office where there are like 15 shared libraries)?

I apologize because I'm sure these complaints have been raised much earlier in the thread, but I just upgraded and every element of this is baffling. The previous version was bad too but at least its badness was consistent with previous versions that users were used to.

If you do View -> Show Sidebar, iTunes 11 becomes a lot more usable.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Polo-Rican posted:

It's not about "looking different," it's the fact that none of the labels make sense. When I click "Songs," this is what I see - mostly artists and albums.

By default, "Songs" just shows a list of songs. You can further narrow down songs by enabling the column browser. It makes sense to me.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

lord funk posted:

Dammit iTunes just let me hit the spacebar to start / pause the music I DON'T WANT TO SEARCH ANYTHING.

If you're on a device screen you can't even tab out of it there is no actual way to resign the search field from being first responder gently caress.

I can tab out of the search field from the device screen just fine? :confused:

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Kenny Logins posted:

Cross posted from the Apple TV thread as I think this could be an iTunes issue:

Just bought a new PC with Windows 8 (Home) on it, installed the latest iTunes. Previously, had Apple TV 3 working just fine Home Sharing over wi-fi from the old PC with Windows 7 (Pro) and iTunes 11. Both rigs have the same ethernet connection to the router.

Now, I find that I get the spinning circle on the Apple TV when trying to start a show or movie Home Shared from Computers unless I just recently quit and restarted iTunes. Also for reference we were watching an HD movie last night streamed over Home Sharing and the movie would cut out about every 30 minutes (that is, 30 minutes of content had loaded, and when it hit the limit, end). Restarting iTunes would allow us to get another 30 minutes of content or so.

Previous to that I was able to start say one 10-minute show, watch it for a minute or two, but switching to another show would give me indefinite spinning circle. I believe one time a show started up after the spinning circle was showing for over 10 minutes.

So far, I have tried rebooting the Apple TV, toggling Home Sharing on iTunes, rebooting the Windows 8 machine, checking to make sure Bonjour was whitelisted in Windows Firewall and running automatically as a local service, uninstalled Bonjour, installed Bonjour Print Services 2.0.2 for Windows, uninstalled that when it didn't work at all, reinstalled Bonjour from Bonjourx64.msi (from the iTunesx64 package), then checking to make sure it was running automatically and firewall whitelisted again. I've also explicitly whitelisted iTunes in the firewall at this point and setting the rig to never sleep.

Any ideas from here?
Someone earlier mentioned running iTunes as Administrator in Windows 8. Try that maybe?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Mister Macys posted:

Can someone clarify iTunes Match for me? :downs:

Specifically, can I drag & drop (or whatever) cloud songs into my Shuffle, or is is strictly computers and IOS devices?

If you download a song from the cloud (not just play it, but click the cloud download-icon-thingy) it becomes a part of your library like any other local song.

Not sure if you can drag it to your iPod without downloading it first. All I know is that you can't burn songs to a CD (yeah, yeah) without downloading them.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Unless you re-rip as ALAC or something.

Did this a few times a long time ago :shepface:

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Kobayashi posted:

loving iTunes. I was listening to a song the other day when someone interrupted me. I paused iTunes, but now whenever I try to play the song, I get the following message. The other tracks on the album work fine. Entering my credentials just brings up the same dialog. My computer is already authorized and goddammit iTunes you were just loving playing the song. Anyone ever seen anything like this? Restarting iTunes didn't help.

E: Apologies for the image size; I forgot I was on a Retina display.

I think your Apple ID is glitched, it's all weird and spotty...

Just kidding, but I had this issue a while back with some point release of iTunes 11. Are you on the latest version of iTunes?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Shaocaholica posted:

This is probably a common itunes match question but hypothetically, if I have 1000s of lovely quality songs and I buy match and re-download 256kbps AAC DRM-free(?) versions of all those songs and then cancel match(or let it expire), I get to keep all those 'better' versions after match has expired? Even if its right up there at the limit of the match (25,000 songs)?

I don't see why not. If you go through the matching process, you can download matched drm-free tracks that download to your iTunes Media folder and won't go away.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Shibawanko posted:

I just want to be able to move files quickly and without having it clutter my windows startup processes with poo poo and it should run fairly fast. Any ideas?
It sounds like you might need to upgrade your computer.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

took R4H7XFXFFYER for the Elvis Costello song.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

IUG posted:

So here's something I should know but don't. With iTunes Match, can you have iTunes installed on two computers but have the same library on both?

My boss went cash-spend crazy and bought a 27' iMac, and keeps his MacBook Pro in the office. I synced up his iPhone with the iMac, but he wants to listen to music from his MacBook in the office. If he subscribes to iTunes Match, will he be able to access his music library from the iMac at home from his MacBook in the office? Even if he can't sync the phone from the MacBook, he's just fine by being able to listen to his music in the office without getting an iPhone dock.

Also, I want to know this for myself, because this should be something right up my alley.

Yes. What you described is exactly what Match was made to do.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Been (somewhat shamefully) using iTunes for Windows since 2003 and it's worked just fine.

Never had to gently caress with it much except when moving libraries to new computers. Nowadays that's a non-issue with iTunes Match.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Hey I've been having problems with lots of duplicate music in iTunes with the Cloud. This makes a lot of albums unplayable since there are duplicates online and will play all of them instead of just ones that are on local hardware as well. How can I delete albums from my icloud account and reupload them? Or can I just wipe all the music off of my iCloud account and start over? I don't mind having it run in the background overnight while my music is uploaded to Apple's servers again.
Do the duplicate tracks have similar titles? Can you just do View -> Show Duplicate Items and delete them?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

I would just use iTunes Match if you want to maintain playcounts and such over multiple devices. It's sort of a godsend for me when I get new machines and reformat old ones all the time-- don't have to worry about copying library files or importing them anymore.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

I guess that's true. I don't really manage any videos in iTunes, but having iTunes Match enabled for my music is still handy if I need to reformat. I just deauthorize the iTunes account, reformat, download iTunes and sign into iTunes Match again.

No need to worry about making sure the paths in the iTunes.itl or xml file are correct, etc. It's just something that I've felt has been "solved" by Match for over a couple years.

But yeah, no videos/podcasts.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Got 99FLPNJWEWNK thanks

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Choadmaster posted:

An OS upgrade shouldn't affect how his phone sees the same iTunes library... I guess you're assuming he wiped out the library and started a new one, but then he'd have an empty library with no music to sync (other than the one cd). In that case, syncing would wipe everything off his phone and just leave him with the few songs off that cd. I hope that's not what's going on but without further info who knows.

An OS upgrade wouldn't do that, but "flattening" or reformatting a machine would. Like the post said.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

I don't think iTunes Match does anything for videos, however.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Anyone else never have major problems with iTunes? I've moved the same library around since 2004 and it's still working fine. I just get confused when people have so much trouble with it. :psyduck:

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

It's still there in iTunes 12

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

iTunes 12 working great for me.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

for what it's worth the "playlists" tab also has your music library and can be viewed in album mode:

Last Chance fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Oct 20, 2014

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

decypher posted:

Is there anyway to prevent iTunes(12.0.1.26) from switching to the lovely 'Artists' view when you search for something while in 'Songs' view? I just want it to be 'Songs' view always and forever. All other views can suck my dick.

Searching while in song view keeps things in song view for me?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

decypher posted:

It does if you click on the song result, but say you're in song view and you want to jump to a specific artist and click on the artist result, it takes you to the artist view. It's pretty lame in my book.

Is there a better way to jump to an artist while in song view?

Ohh I see what you mean. Yeah I don't think there's a way around that

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Sometimes iOS will "auto download" a purchase from iTunes if that option is turned on in Settings and then there will be a duplicate version from iTunes Match. It's happened to me before and I hate it.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Apple probably has signed agreements that disallow easy sharing because the record execs forced them to during initial content negotiations for iTunes waaay back when the record companies were deathly afraid of digital music sales. Same thing with DRM, which Apple had to wriggle out of in stages (remember iTunes Plus DRM free songs?).

Other music stores that came along later had the luxury of piggybacking off the obvious success of iTunes and probably didn't need to negotiate agreements like that.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Adding the ability for artists to selectively do that really should be Apple's next move, though. Good call.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Share music they've made

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Well there you go

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Boris Galerkin posted:

How the gently caress do I get iTunes to stop starting itself when I turn on my computer and when I plug in my iPhone? I never gave it permission to start up on boot and I don't want it associating itself with my phone on this computer. Also why doesn't it remember my password because if I have to put in my password every time I start up iTunes to listen to apple music then well gently caress that.

Windows 8.1, latest version of iTunes

First step is to stop crying like a little bitch

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

smr posted:

This has been my favorite feature of trying to recreate my playlists, too. Thanks to Apple fuckery, I have a mixed-up mess of songs stored locally and in the cloud. So if I'm trying to select from an artist with, say, 11 albums, and the 3rd and 5th albums plus a random scattering of tracks across the others are "in the cloud", and I want to download them locally because gently caress trying to sync mixed cloud/local songs to a phone, that's just a recipe for heartache... so I tell iTunes CTRL-A and tell iTunes to make everything available locally, the super-clear way you have to know means "download" in today's iTunes.

The little loving download circle starts filling up, and after EACH loving one finishes downloading, iTunes will bounce the album view back to the top. Even if you're picking and choosing other tracks in that view from lower down to drag to playlist, gently caress you, iTunes doesn't care, it needs to SHOW you that each song has loving downloaded as it loving happens.

What? You think that simple audio cue it gives you when all current downloads are done is enough? gently caress you and your stupid needs, iTunes doesn't give a gently caress what you're doing, it's going to take control and show you what IT'S up to, over and over and over...

I seriously haven't hated an application this much since like Lotus Notes 4.6. I ever meet somebody from the iTunes team in person, I will happily spend a night in jail for punching them in the jaw.

It sounds like you need therapy more than a better piece of software. Sorry to hear about your troubles.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

I have 71gb of music in the cloud and never really had any issues with it. I even tried selecting a bunch of albums in album view and clicked "Make Available Offline" and it didn't bounce me around at all. No idea what your issue is.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

The Modern Leper posted:

Seriously, dude. There are well-documented, pervasive issues with Apple Music. I'm honestly happy that you're not experiencing them, but that doesn't mean they're some idiosyncratic "the problem is between the keyboard and the chair" issues.

And?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Yeah? And I tried recreating your issue in iTunes in order to see if I could see if there was a setting or something to change, please don't start hitting me or your loved ones.

Last Chance fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Aug 25, 2015

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

terre packet posted:

Is gapless playback dead? I don't see a single reference to it in iTunes 12.3.0.44.

Huh? I think even Apple Music is gapless at this point. It is for me anyway

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

terre packet posted:

I experimented some with both Apple Music and with external MP3s. Sometimes iTunes recognizes an album as gapless and plays between tracks with no pause. Sometimes it doesn't. This behavior varies even between different tracks on the same album. I can't figure out what causes the behavior, which is frustrating.

I tried it on Pink floyd's dark side of the moon on Apple Music and it worked okay. Maybe it depends on whether or not iTunes has had enough time to cache the next song.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

iTunes Match uploads are limited to 100,000 songs iirc. Buying music from the iTunes Store or adding them to your library from Apple Music doesn't count against your limit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Sometimes my iphone's lightning port gets a little gummed up from cum and I have to clean it out with a q-tip. Maybe try that?