Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Killer_B posted:

I am going to guess probably not, I am on a grandfathered (no longer available) plan, "The new Verizon Plan Single Smartphone 5 GB" plan, that's 5GB/month for $47 before fees/taxes - Ends up being just under $60/month.

I'm not sure it's worth upgrading to the lowest tier unlimited plan, am I correct?

If you're not using much data then I wouldn't think so. My main phone is on a grandfathered Verizon Prepaid plan that also has 5GB per month and, after loyalty discounts, I pay $26.25 per month. I've been kind of half-assedly looking at postpaid plans, but with my usage they just don't sense. I miss out on visual voicemail, and maybe another feature or two they gate behind postpaid plans, but it's hard for me to justify spending at least twice as much as I do now for very little benefit.

That said, I got into the habit of buying unlocked phones outright, so the only thing I pay for is my service.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

The Demilich posted:

It's this a good thread to ask for information about phone accessories such as chargers? Or is there a more apt thread?

The general Android thread might be better-suited? https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3689060

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Kild posted:

Is the Pixel 6a for like $300 the best deal I can get for around that price range?

Pretty much - it's going to be hard to beat in terms of power and features. Personal preferences (like if you want a bigger screen, stuff like that) are going to make a difference, but in terms of the hardware it's hard to beat Pixels dollar for dollar.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

One problem with the 5a is that the support window is closing on it - Google only guarantees security updates until August 2024. The 6a is guaranteed to receive them up to July 2027.

https://support.google.com/nexus/answer/4457705?hl=en-GB

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

The 6a I got for my dad was so nice I almost gave him my 6 and kept the 6a for myself. The better cameras on the 6 were pretty much the only reason I kept it. From what I understand the 7a is similarly nice.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I didn't realize the OP of the thread is from 2008. :stare:

I wonder if a brief primer on the basics of the US cellular market might be helpful, or at least a link to same? I feel like a lot of people don't realize how weird and artificial the market is here, and don't realize we're down to 3 carriers (well, 3.5 if you count Dish, maybe) and that every other service is an MVNO. Or how few phone options we get compared to the rest of the world because of carrier subsidies and agreements. Or the difference between carrier models and unlocked phones. Stuff like that.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Mr. Mercury posted:

It's a good OP, actually! Really, the only thing I'd change outside of the formatting to make the instructions more explicit is context of the market RE: features/the disappearance of ports/the end of performance stratification

That's a good point - frontloading the fact that SD cards and 3.5mm jacks are almost gone, and that SIM cards might be next, could be useful.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Duckman2008 posted:

Edited in 2012 !

I read the first page and yeah, it’s crazy looking back and seeing the differences.

I can make a new OP in the next few weeks, it would be pretty straight forward , but to the other persons point, do we need a new OP / thread or not ? I’m pretty 50/50, but happy to re make one.

By it's nature I think the thread works okay as it is, so I'm also inclined to think it's a lower priority. I do think having some educational/explanatory resources in the OP could be good, but they could always be edited in to the existing OP. I do have some personal bias because the last few years have been a crash course in phones and carriers for me, and I feel like a lot of people are in the same boat I was before that rude awakening.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I have a Pixel 4XL

I am looking for a cell phone with better cameras, and physically smaller. What are my options that wont break the bank?

I'm on US Mobile

Both the Pixel 6a and 7a are slightly smaller than the 4XL, and will have better cameras while still being way cheaper than other options.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Shine posted:

Alrighty, same as before except now the G Power is the one feeling slow. Specifically, it slows to a crawl when connected to Android Auto, which is annoying because I usually mess with my phone for a minute or two before I start driving, and having my phone bog down and freeze up makes that frustrating. It also sometimes hitches while both navigating Gmaps and playing music, which annoys me while I'm driving.

Anybody have a rec for a midrange Android phone with a large screen, preferably under $400? I need something that doesn't go to poo poo when connected to Android Auto.

In terms of bang for your buck it is going to be hard to beat a Pixel. A Pixel 6a will have a slightly smaller screen but a lot more horsepower than the Motorola, and it's currently $349 from Google. A Pixel 7 is closer in screen size to the Motorola, and is currently $599. Sales might be coming up soon, too, as the Pixel 8 is coming out next month.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Shine posted:

Update: I just picked up the Pixel 7a, and this thing loads Slay the Spire almost instantly! Good poo poo; thank you for the recommendation. :cheers:

Glad to help!

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Glorified Scrivener posted:

Thank you! I double checked and we're still getting a discount from a job I left a few months ago, so that will go away sometime.

I think we'll give it a try, like you say, worst case we switch back.

If you own your phones, or plan to buy unlocked phones, then have you considered prepaid? I'm on a grandfathered Verizon prepaid 5GB plan that now, after loyalty discounts, costs me $26.25 per month. With your usage and current plans you could be spending $70 for 2 lines with 15GB of data each: https://www.verizon.com/plans/prepaid/

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Outrail posted:

I really liked the pixel 5a but the screen has died twice now when it was dropped less than two feet in a decent case. Like black screen of death. I need it for backcountry work so the weak rear end screen isn't acceptable.

The new pixels have poo poo batteries and no aux jack. Is there a phone that's basically the pixel but has the older features that made them worth owning?

Battery, Aux jack, robust, Android. Is this asking for too much?

I can't speak to it directly yet, but apparently my next work phone is going to be a Samsung Xcover6 and from a glance at the specs it looks okay: https://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_xcover6_pro-11600.php

I lobbied for a Pixel but I guess we standardized on these because other people are clumsy. :shrug:

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Outrail posted:

Gonna buy Bluetooth-3.5 adapter and glue it to the back of my phone.

Just attach it using the grip tape. :pseudo:

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Trauts posted:

Looking to upgrade my POS Samsung A01. Not looking for flagship or current gen, and am mostly looking for bang for buck. I don't need 5G, 4G is fine and actually has decent coverage where i am. A midrange camera would be fine. SD card is a must. Mostly concerned with speed and battery life. Being able to see the screen outside is a big pro too since I work in the field a lot. On straight talk right now, prefer to stay with prepaid but might be willing to sign a contract if it's a really good deal.

What price range are you looking for?

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Tricky Ed posted:

Yeah, I know you used to be able to just bank minutes on T-Mobile as long as you topped up every 12 months, but they retired that plan and I haven't been able to find anything similar.

Tracfone still has rollover data, although I believe they are now only using Verizon towers or soon will be if they haven't switched over already.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Duckman2008 posted:

One part of this answer is simple: Motorola is terrible dear god do not exchange for a Motorola.

:hmmyes:

Seriously agreed - it is hard to overstate how bad Motorola is.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Fozzy The Bear posted:

I pay $70/month for two lines, 10 GB per line, I never use more than 1GB, so we could probably just use 10GB total. Pre-paid MetroPCS, not the best coverage around town, we've always just bought our phones unlocked and connected them.

I'm willing to switch to a new carrier, Verizon, AT&T, etc.
Any plans that are comparable to my current situation?

My main phone is on Verizon Prepaid (grandfathered plan that with autopay and loyalty discounts is down to $26.25 per month with 5GB of data) and it's been great.

My secondary phone is on a Tracfone plan (using Verizon towers) and I pay around $20 per month for I think 3GB of data that rolls over, and since I never use that phone it has over 41GB of data banked. I also have my dad's phone on Tracfone on a similar plan, and as far as I can tell it's been just fine, though he barely uses any data and also has an absurd amount of data saved up.

One thing I would say is that Verizon Prepaid has a better website and autopay. Tracfone is workable, but their site is kind of inscrutable and as far as I can tell I have accidentally paid both lines on my account way the hell into the future because autopay chokes on my dad's line (I think because he is in a different ZIP code from me) and I get paranoid about it accidentally getting shut off and him not noticing or telling me.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Have you looked at prepaid plans?

Verizon Prepaid has decent deals, and you can use a credit card to get the autopay discount - you don't have to give your bank account info. I mostly use credit cards for autopay for that very reason - I hate having my bank account info out there anywhere.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Fozzy The Bear posted:

Recently bought a Pixel 7a, its wonderful, more than enough for my needs.

I am going on an oversea trip, and I would rather not bring my new phone. What is the cheapest smart phone I can buy, unlocked, to put a SIM card in when I get to my destination? Basically just needs to run Whatsapp and not be a total piece of crap.

Going used would probably the cheapest option. Your description of what you want is so vague it's hard to be really specific. If this is going to be treated as a disposable device then I'd say avoid anything new with less than 64GB of storage, and check the radio bands to make sure it will work in your destination country. This is about the only situation I might consider Motorola to be a semi-reasonable option, because you definitely don't want one of those as a long-term device, but as a temporary throwaway it might be worth it. Maybe.

Motorola really, really sucks when it comes to software support and updates, so I generally recommend people avoid them like the plague.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Banzai 3 posted:

I think I know my path forward, but wanted to solicit feedback generally and on the order of operations for the plan I'm hoping to execute. Please let me know if I'm missing anything obvious or miscalculating here.

I have two lines on AT&T postpaid in the US. We're paying $100/month before taxes/fees for 4GB of data per line and both phones are fully paid off. I found this to be expensive, so have been evaluating options including MVNOs and prepaid plans. We typically don't exceed monthly data, and if we do, it's by no more than 1GB. Generally when we're using mobile data, we need it for some reason, but would not benefit from unlimited plans for the cost.

For where we live and travel, key considerations are 1) local area coverage, 2) keeping decent data priority, and 3) having some kind of international option where 1GB of international roaming (typically in tourist destinations) is $30 or less. AT&T is a known quantity and reliable, T-Mobile is not as well-covered but would likely be okay, Verizon likely fine.

It seems the AT&T 5GB prepaid plan is a good split-the-difference option. It should cut our monthly bill in half while giving more data, keep us on the known network with the same data priority we have today, and the international pass is available for when we travel.

In this process, I am looking to upgrade one of the phones to a Pixel 8 Pro. I plan to buy this outright because of a discount I can get from retail separate from the phone plans.

Because I'm on AT&T postpaid, I think I need to go into an AT&T Corporate store to migrate/port the numbers. I think what I need to do is 1) get the new phone unlocked and unactivated, 2) go into the AT&T store to start the prepaid plans and get the number migration process going with the existing phone that will move across plans and the new unactivated phone, 3) pray. This is where I'm least certain - should I start the plans sooner, or is this the right order?

Personally, I would avoid AT&T prepaid. I briefly used them while I was navigating the shutdown of the Sprint towers following the T-Mobile/Sprint merger, since my provider at the time was Boost (which used the Sprint towers at the time). AT&T prepaid had the worst customer service of any carrier I had dealt with, and porting my number in and out was a massive pain in my rear end. I went from them to Verizon prepaid and it was a vastly better experience.

Edit: While on the phone with AT&T prepaid customer service the agent had an accent I couldn't quite place but sounded Eastern European, and clearly had no idea how US addresses worked. I have never had just giving my physical address be that difficult or oddly disconcerting.

CaptainSarcastic fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Dec 27, 2023

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

uguu posted:

What's wrong with motorola? I've been using their phones for ten years and back then they were touted for their lack of bloat, good update policy and great price/quality ratio.
Incidentally, I'm looking for a new phone with as much camera as possible for around 250$ and a headphone jack. Performance and screen don't matter to me. I do like the moto gestures, where you can shake your phone to activate the flashlight and twist to open the camera. I could pay more for a more durable phone, as my last five motorolas all gave up the ghost after a year. I drop them on the daily and they get very wet.

Since they were acquired by Lenovo they have consistently had worst-in-class support. Their phones often release an Android version behind where they should be, and they almost never catch up. They only do security updates every two months, and are often behind on those. They lie about Android version updates coming to a phone, and will string people along until the phones drop out of support, which is generally only 2 years. They are perhaps the worst company when it comes to actually providing information about when to expect any updates they actually do roll out, and there's also the aforementioned problem with outright lying.

If you want a jumping off point to find out more, this Android report card is a good place to start - go back to previous report cards to see the pattern that emerges: https://www.computerworld.com/article/3687640/android-13-upgrade-report-card.html

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Yeah, Boost is why I tell people there are only really 3.5 phone carriers in the US, with Boost being the fraction. Boost was acquired by Dish as part of the Sprint/T-Mobile merger deal, and they were required to build out their network to certain milestones of coverage area, and I believe they've been struggling with that. Also, T-Mobile was supposed to carry them as an MVNO for a while, but reneged on that promise pretty quickly, if I recall correctly. In some cities they might be okay, but I would look sideways at them as a carrier in general.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

loquacius posted:

Not sure where to ask about this, but we're trying to cut recurring expenses while getting our kids through preschool and our phone plan is a big one. I keep seeing/hearing ads for cheaper plans like Mint Mobile etc which use bigger carriers' networks but cost less. What is the general experience with them? You can't really use searches for this stuff these days because it's all sponsored content

The main things are which carrier they use, what area you live in, what their customer service is like, and how data deprioritization might affect you. If you own your phones and they;re unlocked, then it's just a matter of deciding if a cheaper provider works for you.

My main phone is on Verizon Prepaid, because here in the Pacific Northwest they have the best coverage. I get unlimited talk and text with 5GB high speed data per month for $26.25, including fees.

I have two phone on Tracfone, also using the Verizon towers, and I pay $20 per month on each with unlimited talk and text, and like 3GB of rollover data (so they both have huge banks of unused data).

I have yet to experience a time when I could look at my phone and tell my data was being deprioritized - with my usage in my area it just doesn't seem to come into play.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

This is one of the reasons I started to favor getting unlocked phones and putting them on prepaid plans in the first place. Not having to deal with uninstallable bloatware is another.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Ham Equity posted:

Not exactly a phone question, but our internet is currently out. For the future, if I wanted to buy a hotspot to use as a backup internet connection for my housemates who work from home, would that be a good way to go? Is there one you can buy and then just turn on for a handful of days when you need it, then just not have service the rest of the time?

EDIT: I'm currently on a Verizon post-paid plan with 5 lines.

Why not just do it with a phone? I keep a secondary phone that gets rollover data on a Tracfone plan in case I need to hotspot for any period of time.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

BONESAWWWWWW posted:

Apologies if this is a super common question, I try to stay out of the phone game as much as possible so I really just don't know anything.
I've had Pixels/Nexus phones exclusively. Currently my Pixel 5 is dying - dodgy battery, screen on the fritz, camera oddities, and have had issues with cell service now for a bit. It's time.
I love having free unlimited photo backup to Google Photos and the rear dedicated fingerprint scanner is in use 100% of the time I use the phone. And the screen size is nice, maybe a little bigger than I'd like though. Are these features all extinct nowadays? If so, is there any real benefit to sticking with Pixel phones? I kind of never liked the Galaxy series but if they are really just "better" or have less wacky issues than the Pixel phones I may need to jump ship. Would love to not have my phone cripple itself after two years of use.

Does anyone have Pixel or other major-brand recommendations? Are those Z Flip phones any good? Every phone I look at seems to have some bizarre compromise - the latest Pixels look like they use a garbage under-screen fingerprint sensor and have weird battery problems. I just need a normal phone!

The under-screen fingerprint sensor on my Pixel 6 has been great, and my partner has had no problems with the one on her Pixel 8 Pro. The under-screen sensor on my 6 outperforms the rear sensor on my Motorola back-up phone and the power-button sensor on my work Galaxy phone by a mile, too.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Spagghentleman posted:

My iPhone 11 is toast after letting my toddler learn how to plug the charger into it. She apparently thought it was a twist lock. I’m currently only able to use wireless charging on it which absolutely sucks.

Not a lot of money to go around right now and I’m not die-hard with the Apple platform.

The Pixel 7a is pretty cheap on Amazon ($399 Canadian). Would I be making a mistake here? I really don’t want to dump almost twice that into a new iPhone and I don’t use my phone much for anything beyond basic poo poo anyway.

As long as you don't rely on an app that exists on iOS but not on Android then I think you should be fine - the Pixels are good phones, and hard to beat dollar-for-dollar.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Maldraedior posted:

after years of abuse and several major surgeries my S8 Active has decided to die and I think instead of resuscitating it I should probably let it go. The main selling point when I got it was the smaller size and the fact that my coworker dropped his 20 feet off a ladder onto a sidewalk and it lived. The Pixel looks like it might be what I want to go with but how sturdy are phones now? Can I grab one off the internet and just move the SIM or do I need to let AT&T know? I rarely use it for games anymore it's mostly for music and youtubes.

The main thing that might require a new SIM card is 5G. AT&T is pretty obnoxious about maintaining a whitelist of phones, but something standard like a Pixel should be fine. Pixels are relatively sturdy, and finding a ruggedized phone in a smaller form factor is probably going to be difficult. My work phone is a Galaxy Xcover 6 Pro, which is mildly ruggedized, but it's also bigger than I would like - it is way bulkier than my personal Pixel 6.

Swapping a SIM between phones isn't usually a big deal, but like I said above about AT&T and some of their obnoxious policies, I can't swear to that. Aside from the possible need for a 5G SIM, though, I doubt you'll see a hassle unless you somehow manage to get a phone they don't have on their whitelist.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

CommonShore posted:

Phone rec please. Ideally under ca$300 but I could grumble and go up to $400 if it meant a boost in how long I can expect the phone to last me.

Canada. Need an unlocked android phone that's rogers network compatible because gently caress contracts.

My priorities are that I hate bloatware, and I rarely use my phone for anything other than IM/texting, listening to podcasts over bluetooth or the phone's speaker, and having a web browser handy if I need it, with the camera as a secondary function. I have virtually no apps installed. I'd probably like something that has about 32gb of storage on top of OS just so I don't get annoyed with messages about running out of space if I queue up a bunch of stuff. I also value durability and battery life. Something that I can open up and repair would also be nice but I know not to hold my breath for that one anymore.

About a year ago someone told me about OnePlus phones, and they sounded good, but since then I've heard that they're not as good as they once were. If there's another brand that fills that "is phone, does smart phone things, no other nonsense" slot, I'd be interested.

Basically I want something that will run smoothly for a few years before I have to upgrade again.

It looks like right now Best Buy Canada has the Pixel 7a on sale for $400. It's unlocked, and while I am not familiar with Rogers it would have to be fairly odd to not work with a Pixel.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

zenguitarman posted:

This thread is very helpful, but I'm still kind of a luddite when it comes to some things. Please help me understand.

My Pixel 3 is getting old. It's time for a new phone. Usually my wife and I just get whatever is on sale and a 2GB plan with Verizon. We pretty much always use all our data by the end of the month.

Is a prepaid phone just paying the entire price of the phone up front and you determine how much data you anticipate using that month? Is this generally cheaper?

Is an unlocked phone a phone that isn't tied to a carrier like Verizon and doesn't come with all the preloaded Verizon apps on it? We would then have to bring it to Verizon to activate it (for a fee)?

We really liked the Pixel 3 and were thinking about the 7, but we're not married to that idea. On consumer reports, the Pixel battery life scores lower. There is an unlocked Samsung on sale, which scores higher than the Pixel, but what we're primarily looking for is size (comparable to Pixel 3) and storage (more than 64GB).

1. Pretty much, although you will be unable to change carriers for some period of time until the prepaid carrier unlocks the phone. In the long run, yes, prepaid usually works out cheaper but depending on the carrier you can miss out on some features, like wifi calling or visual voicemail. Note that this varies from phone to phone on the same carrier, so one phone on Megacorp Prepaid might have wifi calling but another phone might not have the option. This is pretty arbitrary.

2. Yes, an unlocked phone doesn't come with any carrier apps. You don't generally need to do anything special to activate them aside from buying an appropriate SIM card and going through whatever process the carrier has set up. It also makes changing carriers easier, although getting your number ported can be a pain (I'm looking at you, AT&T Prepaid...).

3. I'd consider 128MB a good floor, especially since SD cards are becoming more and more rare on modern phones. The Pixel 8a should be coming out soon, so you might want to check it out, or the 7a, which I believe are going to smaller than the base models.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Roxors posted:

So my current phone is running Android version 9 which I recently realized has been dead for 2 years. Probably a sign I should look into a new phone. My current phone is a cheap android, a Blu G5. I do a little bit of gaming and web browsing, but nothing particularly intense. I have seen a lot of recommendations for the Pixel 7a which is $350 new. Any other solid options for a mid range android worth looking at? My phone still works fine, so I am not in a particular rush to replace it if there is a reason to wait.

The 8a should be out pretty soon, projected at $450 IIRC, but a 7a should be just dandy. I got my Dad a 6a, converted it to wireless charging, and he loves it.