Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
It makes his remake of the first Halloween look like Jacob's Ladder. Michael's mom appears as a ghost showing which people he has to get revenge on/kill/etc. Also Michael's secret hideout barn in the woods is a few days away from town or can be walked to in a few minutes depending on which scene in the movie you're watching. Everything is deadly serious. I was willing to give Zombie the benefit of the doubt after The Devil's Rejects since it was so much better than House of 1,000 Corpses, but after these two Halloween movies I don't think I'll be watching anything directed by him again.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Nov 4, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

CobiWann posted:

Along those lines, maybe, as a direct-to-DVD line, how about "Puppet Master?"

Yeah, I'm stretching with that one, but the first one has a spot in my heart...and a Jester doll on my bookshelf.

Edit - check that last one, apparently there's a new entry in the "Puppet Master" franchise.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puppet_Master:_Axis_of_Evil

It's technically late seventies, but I wouldn't mind seeing a remake of Phantasm. I love the original, at one point Don Coscarelli himself supposedly had a reboot in the works with MGM or whoever owns it now but nothing happened. :(

Phantasm is probably one of the most imaginative horror flicks ever made, just because it doesn't try to shoehorn itself into a genre. It's probably the most Lovecraftian movie ever made too (even considering the movies actually based on Lovecraft's works) with the way it ends. I'd like to see a remake less because I think it needs it and more because even in today's horror genre I think there's still stuff to learn from it. It'd be more interesting than retreading every slasher flick.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

I have made so many people watch The Evil Dead over the past month. It's bizarre, like I thought everyone I knew saw this movie when we were in high school or something. :wtc:

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

caiman posted:

Twitch of the Death Nerve is the best.

I was hitting quote to type this before I read it. Incredible.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Everblight posted:

It's just tough to take a literal flying saucer in a pop-culture world where Monsanto, the Umbrella Corporation and Genestealers exist. By explicitly throwing that ten-second shot of a 50s flying saucer crashing, you take away the exploration of the team, the discoveries they make and the horrible reveal of the saucer outside the Norwegian camp. You could be asking "Is it a mi-go from the Mountains of Madness? Is it Norwegian gene-splicing gone awry? Mass Cabin Fever? What is going on?!"

Instead, from the first shot of the movie you know, "yep, it's aliens." :geno:

Totally man, I walked out of the theater the minute I saw aliens were involved meaning the movie would not have a twist ending of them only thinking that aliens are around. :wtc: Like if they became aware aliens were a thing it wouldn't have effected the story at all.

The mi-go is a weird example, many of the creatures from Lovecraft's and Howard's works are explicitly aliens from another planet, the mi-go included. I always thought of The Thing as one of the most Lovecraftian movies ever made because it's a truly alien life in that we have no idea how it works or lives beyond what they can piece together during the movie.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Nov 12, 2014

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

I'll never forget that shock from when I first saw it either, because I and I'm sure most other people were expecting little grey men, so when the dog starts changing it was pretty crazy. Especially the first time I watched it, I didn't think the entire team was particularly doomed until the blood test scene starts to go crazy. The movie is very similar to Alien in that respect in that it doesn't matter if the thing is an alien, it came from the center of the earth, it's a living virus, whatever as far as the team is concerned because their primary issue at that point is survival.

They were also smart in being secretive about how the different forms of the creature would look, and this was before you had massive internet spoilers dissecting everything before hand, so just the mere information that aliens are around wasn't really a linchpin plot point for the movie since it was a given compared to general tension between the characters and the extreme level of gore. The discovery aspect is instead made more light and is there to provide relief and some dark humor ("Maybe we at war with Norway?" Wilford Brimley's awesome grossout reactions to sticking his hands into the remains, etc.). They discover the wrecked ship fairly early on in the film, the big deal at the end isn't that there is a saucer or aliens are a thing, but that Wilford Brimley's character pieced together a new ship via some tunnels while they thought he was locked up.

I think the movie still works in that respect since it was never really about where the thing is from, and that's not really something the team tries to figure out either beyond the most immediately relevant information to help them survive.

I forgot this was a thing for a second and briefly envisioned a special edition of the Evil Dead films wherein Bruce Campbell is digitally removed or replaced. :downs:

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Hollismason posted:

I am really curious how the Evil Dead is going to work out as a Half Hour horror / comedy on Starz. Like what?

I hope it's like Aeon Flux where Ash/friends all end up dying in horrible ways at the end of every episode but are just back again next week anyway.

Babe Magnet posted:

Maybe it's like when there are too many deer or crocodiles so a bunch of rednecks get paid money to just kill as many as they can for a few weeks?

Too many humans, so we're being culled by Space Rednecks

I always like the fan theory that the predator home world is full of a peaceful race of hyper-enlightened advanced technology folk and we've only ever encountered their stupid weekend warrior white trash.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Basket Case is also one of the great "New York City.....what a shithole" movies up there with C.H.U.D. if that's of interest.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

The VHS thing "made sense" to me because film is a much more tangible process than digital. So it was easier for me to imagine that a powerful enough spirit could somehow be imprinted on the film the same way a normal image is. Ghosts and digital just don't seem like a natural fit to me, but I guess I'm old school.

That reminds me of the mega-awful Karen Allen flick Ghost in the Machine. It's one of the greatest "we don't know how computers work" movies ever. The "imprint" happens because lightning strikes a hospital as a serial killer is getting defribulated. So now he can travle effortlessly into computers, arcade games, hand dryers, washung machines, etc. A true must see.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Witchery is so bad. I had it on VHS in the 90s and is one of like two or three movies ever I just gave away.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

The Mangler 2 and The Mangler Reborn on the other hand.........

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Glamorama26 posted:

Castration....revenge....the 70s

Let me tell you about a man named Alejandro Jodorowsky.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

The 90s can easily be either the fear of serial killers decade or the fear of disease decade depending on which half of the decade you're looking at.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Hollismason posted:

What are some good Cosmic Lovecraftian horror films , kind of in the mood for that and people talking about X The Man with the X Ray eyes makes me think of cosmic horror . I've seen prob the majority.

This can go pretty broad honestly, and you've probably seen/been recommended most of these, but my favorite movies that evoke Lovecraft's work in a more out there way to me are:

Altered States
The Beyond
Brain Damage
The Church*
From Beyond
Galaxy of Terror
Horror Express
In the Mouth of Madness
Phantasm
Prometheus
Shadowzone (haven't seen this one in forever so it may not hold up well but Altered States fans may dig it)
The Video Dead**

Also check out the black and white Call of Cthulhu silent film. It was made in 2005 IIRC but other than the film quality they kept it really simple with basic stop motion animation, lots of fake snow, like it could have been made in the late 20s. A great and fun adaptaion because its creators knew what was up and only made it about 50 minutes long, so unlike Lovecraft's writing it doesn't outstay its welcome.

*This movie is loving AMAZING don't let anyone tell you different. A simultaneous deconstruction of both Catholicism and our lust for various awful things in horror movies to happen told via a fever dream investigation of an old church that results in a bunch of "70s/80s horror movie stuff" happening to everyone in a unique way. Like I can't believe the basic Italian cinema concept of "just throw in every cool thing you saw in any movie trailer in the past few years" is used to such a meta effect here. It's also a sort of loose remake of Prince of Darkness in that respect (which itself was a sort of attempt to make an Argento-ish movie according to Carpenter). Argento didn't direct this but his protoge did.

**This movie is poorly acted, cheap, and goofy as hell, but out of nowhere it has a couple of scenes that redeem it and get pretty unique with regards to how stuff works in it. So it will at least click as a goofy 80s movie.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Nov 3, 2016

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

This might sound stupid but have you seen Prometheus? Thematically it has more to do with Galaxy of Terror than any Alien film. It actually follows a very similar plot and of all the times people on CineD say "___ is actually a remake of ____," it's very very similar. Partially because it's sort of a (like The Church) conversation with what we want and expect from sci-fi movies and from Galaxy of Terror being loosely inspired by Alien anyway, but I wasn't kidding when I listed it earlier among movies that really nailed that cynicism about how worthless humanity is that we call "Lovecraftian" now.

I want to love Lords of Salem, it's the best looking of Zombie's flicks, everyone's really point, it works both as a satanic horror movie and there's a surreal tragedy about being trapped in a self-destructive situation because of enablers at different extremes of thinking that think they're doing what's best for you, but the movie really peters out at the end. It felt like a it ended like half an hour before its running time was up.

I still need to actually watch Zombie's takes on Halloween and Halloween II. The initial word on both had me so skeptical I totally skipped out on them. The Devil's Rejects really is awesome.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Nov 4, 2016

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Stryder posted:

When watching Lords of Salem, I kept thinking I just wanted a regular drama about 3 small-town DJ's shooting the poo poo and dealing with life. I'd say it's probably Sheri MZ's best performance, hands down.

I was wondering about this myself, I wonder if someone's ever played with making a fan cut where it just follows them hanging out/etc., she gets addicted to drugs again and has a lot of hallucinations, and no one cares enough to help her out.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

Watching the Arrow release of C.H.U.D. for the first time ever. Despite being such a cult film, I honestly have no idea what to expect.

Not only is it an awesome film all around to me, but there are two shots/quick scenes in this movie that James Cameron absolutely totally ripped off, one appearing in The Terminator and the other in Aliens, can you spot them? :D

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

Ha, that does sound entertaining actually. It seems like forever since I've listened to a commentary track too. The only extra I've seen so far is the 'Extended Shower Scene' which is presented on its own, and should more accurately be titled 'Hey we cut boobs out of this movie, and you should totally check them out'.

It's the opposite! The producer got suddenly adamant that a nude scene be added into the film, so they agreed but instead rolled with making a surreal hallucination scene about whether or not she wants to get an abortion, which ended up being too controversial to put in the movie until later releases. :haw:

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

They totally should've put together a documentary or something, because it feels like everything surrounding the film is a lot more interesting than the actual movie itself! I'm so conflated as to how I feel about it now, ha.

It's true everything about the production itself is awesome. There used to be a site called chudfacts.com or something that one of the people involved maintained that seems to be gone now. :( It had like everything you could possibly want to know about the movie. Another anecdote I remember from it is that during the flame thrower and a lot of the other sewer scenes if you look carefully you very very faintly see what looks like frescoes on the wall?

This is because they were filmed in these underground storage areas that were built under the Brooklyn Bridge, originally meant to be a stopping point for transporting secure funds/gold/etc. to and from the Federal Reserve. But when that fell through it was being very briefly floated as a place to store biological/radioactive waste before being moved to proper treatment facilities and that IIRC inspired the movie.

Anyway when that fell through the facilities were then used by "Italian wine importing companies" (i.e., the mob would store their drugs there) hence the assortment of generic renaissance stuff slapped onto the walls. That was shut down like right before the movie was made, then storage rooms themselves were demolished and sealed off because there was no need for them, so the only evidence of their existence in the modern world is C.H.U.D.!!!!!

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Nov 4, 2016

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

DeimosRising posted:

If this is even sort of good, I forgive 90s nostalgia for all its many crimes

Are people really excited for this though? I mean...

Poduced by M. Knight Shyamalan.

No Crypt Keeper because the character is in rights hell.

Crowdsourced stories inspired by internet creepypasta.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

So I watched Anthropophagus: The Grim Reaper for the first time in ages and it's like, almost really good? The last third of the movie the soundtrack, the shadowy interiors, everything comes together and it really grabbed me. But unfortunately the first half is a whole lot of bad acting and people not really caring much about stuff like finding a body with its face eaten off in the place they're staying for the night and stuff. I ended up liking it a lot more than I was expecting too, there's some striking imagery throughout it.

Seeing it again now it's crazy how much the original Resident Evil game cribs from the music and shots of just this movie specifically.

Of all the flaws of this movie though hoo boy, towards the end our group is divided and one of them is exploring a catacomb. This whole part is awesome, suspenseful and it's literally just some guy walking around in a dark area and observing the mix of both ancient and recently interred bodies there, it's so well done. And then what looks like a super fake bat swoops by are you loving kidding me :wtc: like why would you even think to do that.

I like the brief flashback towards the end that for like a split second as it starts almost makes you think something sympathetic is going to happen, but nope, George Eastman is just a stone cold irredeemable psychopath.

There's a loosely connected (basically George Eastman plays the killer again) sequel to this movie that's been released under the name Horror and also under the name Absurd. It's pretty lame since it's set in a suburb instead of the way out there estate home/crypt of the original. But it also gives a little more background to the crazed killer, he underwent an experiment that makes his blood coagulate super fast so it's almost impossible to kill him. His scabby look in the original sort of retroactively makes sense, crazy.

When I was watching this I was surprised there wasn't a remake of it attempted or something like with a lot of other horror flicks (this one was the original Video Nasty so it'd have some reputation to get a low budget thing going) but apparently it did! A German remake called Anthropophagus 2000. I haven't seen this but reading about it now it's probably pretty awful.

Anyway the original has some intense atmosphere towards the end along with a pair of infamously gross scenes.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Dec 4, 2016

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

So Rob Zombie's Halloween is pretty good. I can see why it got so much hate at first now that I've finally seen it, a lot of that hate was towards scenes that aren't in this "unrated director's cut" whatever I saw. It has the sexual assault escape scene instead of the prison transfer scene, and the better ending instead of the shootout, but also has the extra character development for Loomis/etc. that wasn't in the first unrated release. The theatrical version still sounds pretty awful.

Halloween II, drat. I'm impressed Rob Zombie made a film where the only explanation for its events that works is that the Michael Myers we see come back to life is a psychically augmented puppet of Laurie Strode's distant infant memories of her mom's frustration with her family. I was reading some people say that Michael doesn't exist in the second one but there's no way since there's way too many parts where other characters clearly perceive both of them at once except for the very end so the guy is physically there.

That said, is there more than one version of Halloween II? In the theatrical Halloween 1 Brad Drourif's sheriff is around for when the cops mass execute Michael, but in the version I saw it seemed like he got completely stabbed to death, did I mix him up with another Brad Dourif with a beard-esque character? He's like a major character in Halloween II.

It felt a bit long at times, and like Halloween 1 it had an instance or two where someone basically has Michael dead to rights but just sort of lets him do his thing to them instead, but I liked it waaaaay more than I was expecting to.

I do agree with the general criticism that Michael shouldn't talk. Even during the flashbacks in both movies I felt like they had him say too much. Like you can't have Loomis give a speech about how Michael's favorite color is back because it's not actually a color but rather a lack of ALL color and then right after have a scene that tries to make us feel bad that he can't go home after establishing that he's completely nuts. I liked it but it felt like Zombie was lacking confidence with whether or not to try to portray Michael in a sympathetic light and sort of doesn't really commit one way or the other. Instead of being ambiguous it felt half-baked. I was impressed with how much the movie got to be about Michael just through the eyes of everyone around him, they may have made it more effective.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

I agree with all of this, except in that that Loomis isn't in the version of Halloween 1I saw. Instead he seems closer to Donald Pleasance, someone who genuinely tried to work with Michael for a long time and grew cynical and harried from his inability to make any progress, only becoming a bloodsucker when there was nowhere left to go, the book is almost important as a coping device for him as it is for lining his pockets. Reading about the theatrical cut differences this more ambiguous sort of sympathetic Loomis was intentional.
By Halloween 2 of course all of that goes out the window and Loomis is practically the best part of the movie.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Is Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Beginning any good? There's a 2013 movie called Texas Chainsaw 3D, is it official?

Hollismason posted:

I'm not wrong. I know my Giallo. A majority of the Bava films and the Argentos films are the dubbed cut US release or UK release. Deep Red is one of them.

They were recorded and Dubbed in Italian and those are the usually original cuts.

Ahaha I literally came into this thread now to ask about this also because I was thinking of subscribing to Shudder. I appreciate this heads up. :)

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Dec 10, 2016

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Return of the Living Dead 3 is loving awesome.

Hollismason posted:

The majority of Bava films are the uncut originals. Shudder is actually good about always doing the uncut most of the time. Just a few of the Argento are not and a few of the other giallo aren't.

You should subscribe to Shudder. It's just a no brainer as a Horror fan.

They have the largest collection of streaming giallo of any service.

Okay that's awesome, I'll probably sign up soon then. :D

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Dec 11, 2016

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

So I saw this slasher flick called Savage Weekend. It's an interesting combination of a lot of the dumbest things about 70s and 80s horror movies. This movie was originally made in 1976, but wasn't actually released until it was picked up by Canon Films and brought out in 1979 (I'm assuming to capitalize on Halloween coming out the previous year). It's interesting in that the pacing is so weird, like they were in the middle of making a lurid sexual discovery about a bored housewife movie but then during production decided they were making a slasher movie instead and added all of that into the story with only the barest connection between the two.

Anyway, characters in slasher flicks can be pretty stupid, but this, like, drat. Okay so there's this character named Otis. Otis is a sullen, incompetent, lazy, soft-spoken, greasy psychopath that kidnaps women, ties them up in his barn, and brands them with an "H" for wHore. Everyone knows that this character does this, yet somehow this guy is just sort of walking free and willingly employed by one of our main characters? When he tells the rest of the group about this guy everyone is ambivalent or think it's funny, like, huh?

Otis exists so that we think he's the masked killer that pops up later on. He's not and if you're paying attention to the movie you won't have any problem knowing who it really is, but this was such a weird character concept. Like they just literally took a hillbilly rapist psycho killer type character who already is that and he's just sort of around?

Impressively, the movie opens up with a montage of almost its entire climax, but then when the full scene actually happens the movie....ends instead of showing any more and ends on a note glorifying Otis despite what happens? :wtc: No wonder Golan Globus era Canon picked this up.

I do think it's almost worth seeing for the awful script and some of the :wtc: performances. I don't even know if "bad" is the right word to describe it as much as "baffling." You know how due to bad planning sometimes a face to face or phone conversation is filmed on two different days in two totally different places and it's very obvious? A lot of this movie is like that except somehow the actors are in the same shot.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

fat bossy gerbil posted:

I'm looking for good horror movies set in space, either on a space ship or a different planet. I've seen the Aliens franchise and Event Horizon. I suppose Sunshine and Europa Report would also count.

Besides what folks suggested check out Planet of the Vampires and Galaxy of Terror also.

I know that, technically, Galaxy of Terror should be trash but it just looks awesome, some great sets and the story actually gets pretty out there towards the end. Some of the kills are creepily executed too, there's a lot more to the movie than the infamous worm scene. The sets were so good they were reused in tons of trashy Alien ripoffs since even in stuff like Forbidden World/Mutant. Planet of the Vampires is slow paced but just awesome and is a really nice pastiche of European comic books of the time it was made in.

If you do decide you'd like something campy please check out Dead Space from 1991. It's unrelated to the video game franchise but is coincidentally quite similar. Two very important things to know about this movie:

1) It has a running time of 67 minutes.
2) They made a cool looking big monster not realizing it was too big to move in the hallway sets, so there is more than one part where an actor has to make a deliberate effort to move towards it so that it can kill them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aE5Npasp4vI

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Reading about it now, it seems the US cut version of Deep Red was supervised by Argento and is literally his "director's cut" whatever you want to call it preferred version of the move. However there was one release that keeps the full extent of the violence that was removed for the US while still cutting out the subplot he removed (something like 20 minutes of movie) so I guess that would be the "best" version of it?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

What subplot did he remove?

Most of the comedy and romantic scenes are removed along with anything about the screaming kid's home.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

LOL When people say that about Spader Supernova is the example I always give that proves otherwise beyond a doubt.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Halloween Jack posted:

By the by, speaking of Ghosts of Mars, I found it to be way too Generic 90s Action Movie to even have much in the way of so-bad-it's-good appeal. I was asking about this in the general questions thread, but I've seen several bad 90s action movies over the past year--Waterworld, Super Mario Bros, Galaxy Quest, Ghost of Mars, Wild Wild West--and despite some of these being legendarily bad, I was mostly struck by how similar they were. I'm not qualified to analyze the technical aspects, but they just looked very samey, and there are certain required cliches for all the action scenes. I'd rather see a bad movie that's gloriously weird.

NSFW:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Yz3HlM9XXw

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Irony.or.Death posted:

You ever have one of those days where you can't even remember which of the Nemesis films you saw when you were a teenager renting trash from Blockbuster so suddenly marathoning them starts to sound like a great idea?

The first one at least is legit awesome so do this. I believe the entire series is on YouTube.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Lost in Space has Gary Oldman chewing scenery as a total treacherous fucker and features Mimi Rogers and Heather Graham in like fetish body armor outfits but is somehow absolute dogshit. What a lovely movie. There's a shot where we see spider-Oldman at the end and the CG has got to be some of the worst in a big budget movie. And this was a movie that actually had some large sets and effects and stuff going on but their big finale was this sub-Scorpion King walking around imagery.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

No I think you're right, I remember it being in like January or something?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Follows Ex

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

I run into so many people that dislike Horror Express. Am I an outlier? Is this somehow a bad movie?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

I've always loved it. The way the monster works in it is so nuts and amazing for the time. The way the actual creature is inside the eyes of whatever it takes over and it's just been her absorbing anything it can run into? I mean that they go 100% all in and are like yeah so it absorbs memories on site and touch therefore you can literally "view" its memories in the fluid like the fluid is a liquid film strip or bubble memory or something is so crazy. Also I love the crazy priest, he just completely sells it. Then just when it can't get more awesome Telly Savalas swaggers in. :aaaaa:

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Dec 17, 2016

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

I liked Train to Busan quite a bit.

K. Waste posted:

What are some other great "train horror" flicks? There's Night Train Murders and Night Train to Terror, I guess Midnight Meat Train counts though that's technically subway horror.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yY62yl8zEYY

Night Train to Terror NEEDS to be seen. I agree with Hollismason it's not even so bad it's good it's just, like, unbelievable. Three half-baked unreleased films edited into an anthology framed by God and Satan discussing where the souls of the people who die in the movies should go while riding on a train that according to the conductor "some refer to as the Heavenly Express, others...SATAN'S CANNONBALL!" while this ridiculous band plays a song between each segment and are also the train's only other passengers.

Oh man these movies though. IIRC only 2/3 were being directed by the person that ended up directing Night Train to Terror, while the other is just some lovely 70s movie that may have even been released briefly.

So the first movie is about how this pair of evil doctors wants to perform experiments on people and then sell their organs. So they kidnap and brainwash some random guy and program him to seduce women but, instead of bringing them back to his place he roofies their beverage and brings them back to the doctors' office/mansion where Richard Moll sexually assaults them before cutting them to pieces. That's it.

There is a single moment, a sort of quiet panning shot around a bloody room where we know parts are stored, it's almost good, but don't worry, just when it almost is creepy we pan to like the most obviously fake mannequin limbs ever. Richard Moll is just this total berserker that has no dialog and just runs around the whole compound in a rage raping or killing anyone he runs across. Great experiment guys. IIRC there's two different bootleg cuts of the whole movie that circulate around, one much rarer than the other.

The second movie must have been unwatchably bad in its full form, oh my God. So some woman is like a porn actress but then not, her and her total goober boyfriend join a group of folks where they get a thrill out of paying a guy to devise deadly games of chicken for them to play where one of the group will almost definitely die. Double checking it did actually get released! It had quite a few titles in life, including The Gretta Connors Case, The Dark Side to Love, Death Wish Club, and Carnival of Fools. It also, somehow, was released in 1984 but for real when you see this segment it was clearly sitting on the shelf since the 70s.

The third one is the best it involves the anti-christ as a long lived Nazi dude with a Robert Z'Dar caliber chin named Lu Sifer* and the film attempts to be The Omen and The Sentinel and Poltergeist simultaneously but surprisingly it ends up being not quite as good as any of those three movies! It also has some of the worst stop motion animation in any professionally released film. The whole thing is like a weird b-side/extended trailer to a film the same two directors released called Cataclym in 1980.

Anyway I believe the entire Night Train to Terror film is available on YouTube but there should be a very cheap blu-ray out too so if you love poo poo buy all means buy that. Just editing this to be clear, this is absolute must watch movie it is so loving bad. If you want to see a bad horror movie watch Night Train to Terror. A movie with a similar premise and a few actors playing the same characters, but some different ones in roles that are in both films as well!!!

I still have to watch Midnight Meat Train.

*This film predates the 1987 thriller Angel Heart wherein Robert De Niro players a character named Louis Cyphre.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Dec 17, 2016

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

I watched Nail Gun Massacre and The Video Dead. The former is pretty uniquely amazing in its goofiness, the latter is pretty uniquely amazing in the direction its zombies take. Loved them both.

The Video Dead REALLY stood out to me though, partially because the first fifteen minutes or so are almost not even worth watching awful. But that TV being a portal to other worlds, the "Garbage Man" character we see briefly, the reasoning about zombies hating mirrors and their behavior in general? That was a pleasant surprise for what started out like it was going to be an awful flick.

Nail Gun Massacre man, the killer has a pun(s) to say about the circumstances of every single character's death. They really nailed it by giving the killer a reverberated super echoy voice to hammer home the killer's sense of humor.

I also respect a movie that doesn't waste any time, I mean not even like five minutes in the Nail Gun Massacre begins! 75 minutes of people getting shot with a nail pun!!!!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Hollismason posted:

"Why don't you stick around"

"Gonna nail you"

"When I'm done with you you'll be deader than wood"

"Hammer This!" <- Said to someone with a hammer

This'll be a gas! -Said to someone at a gas station.

Aaaah falling in love! -Said as a victim collapses onto her already dead boyfriend who was killed in mid-gently caress.

Hang around awhile! -Said to victim pinned to a tree and left to bleed out.