Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

david_a posted:

Humanoids is an immensely sleazy movie. Roger Corman was the executive producer. After the director finished the movie, Corman had a second unit guy (who went on to direct Deathstalker) film a bunch of gratuitous nudity and fishman-on-woman rape scenes that were shoved in the movie (without telling the director anybody else who had worked on it). It’s... pretty obvious in places.

I've heard that one, and I've also heard that Corman talked with Peeters before filming asking if she was okay with filming the rape scenes and she said she was, only to later double down on the violence happening to guys and not filming the rape scenes. It makes me really want to see the version she turned in just to see how it compares.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Sorry, playing catch up in the thread.

K. Waste posted:

I didn't mean the people who were making it weren't clearly racist fuckholes, that's self-evident.

I'm saying that the catches are that:

1) They're also a bunch of babies who blame political correctness for the fact that nobody wants to fund their garbage exploitation movies that nobody heard or cared about before this;
2) and that they then hired out a bunch of hacks that nobody knew or cared about except for one screenwriter (the least important part of filmmaking), whose name is only there to get attention for what otherwise would have been on nobody's radar;
3) because their whole objective is to target a niche market that's already awash in this superficially 'politically incorrect' content but is implicitly pacifying and self-contained, because the business model is only profitable by keeping budgets low enough and distribution specifically targeted in such a way that they almost automatically make their investment back. That's even the entire point of buying Fangoria, to use it as a platform for advertising reactionary bullshit, which is more or less what it already was.

drat, I'm getting flashbacks of all the arguments I had online with Palumbo's shill army back in the day when they were pushing Murder Set Pieces and insisting everyone calling it a piece of poo poo were a bunch of pussies and not true horror fans. I think I argued with the August Underground people too about their lovely films.

It's sad if this is what's happening with Fangoria.I'd been a steady subscriber from the start and only stopped when money got tight in the '90s. I was thinking of resubbing next paycheck, but it sounds like I'm better off not bothering.

And as far as sympathizing with the slasher/monster, it really depends on the slasher/monster. I don't see Freddy Kruger or original version Michael Myers as sympathetic, but Hoax from 976-Evil, May, Karloff's Frankenstein, Carrie White, Angela in the first Sleepaway Camp, Willard, Norman Bates...they're sympathetic because they're misfits we can relate to.

edit: Yes, Salva is a loving piece of poo poo.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Origami Dali posted:

Holy hell, there's a name I haven't heard in a long time. I remember him pimping Nutbag to the horror site I was writing for as some return to the glory days of Maniac and sent us a screener. What a turd that was.

It was either Fangoria's forums or Dread Central's that they got so tired of Palumbo's shills that they set the filters to change 'Murder Set Pieces' to 'Murder poo poo Pieces' and when Palumbo showed up to bitch, it got changed to 'That piece of poo poo film no one cares about'.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Sat through The Dead and The Dead 2. Both are definitely worth a watch, but Dead 2 let me down with nothing about zombies from the Ganges.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

I've already started my October/Halloween viewing. It's the only way I come close to watching all my picks.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Basebf555 posted:

I've done that before where I start super early but what ends up happening is I burn out by mid-October, which is big downer because that's when I save all my go-to all-time classics for. Sucks to wait all year for October and then it's the week before Halloween and you're not really feeling it anymore.

Pacing's what helps me with potential burnout. I used to go chronological, but would hit points where I was all 40s or 70s out. Same with organizing by genre and getting all slasher or possessioned out. Last year I went with pacing so on a day off, I'll go through all the Friday the 13ths or Halloweens with remakes and switch the next day to something like the entire Universal run for a monster or go Corman-palooza so if I'm feeling a bit crispy on a theme, I'm through it for now and onto the next. Only pauses in the viewing schedule is sleep, work, or Androidvision's movie night.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Neo Rasa posted:

Wow I was expecting mediocre to bad but See No Evil 2 is aggressively badly executed.

The best part is definitely how Kane is impaled through his left eyeball at the end of the first movie but then after he wakes up in this one it's his right eyeball. Then about halfway through the movie it's suddenly his left eye again. The movie is called See No Evil about a psycho killer with one good eye. You had one job guys. :laffo:

With those, they did well casting Kane as a lumbering killer, they did drop the ball on See No Evil 2. I rolled my eyes at them doing CPR on a guy who'd been impaled on an iron fence.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

CelticPredator posted:

Dead Shack is a decent zombie movie. But that was also my biggest issue with the film. Zombies are beyond boring now unless you do something like Slither.

Oooh, zombie filmtalk :eng101: I promise, no footnotes and sorry if I mis-spoiler.

The big problem with zombie films is people get nervous about stepping out of the usual boundaries set by Romero with NOTLD. Pick any half dozen of standard zombie films and they tend to be in the format of early in the outbreak, focus on a set group of living dealing with the situation, group will infight and either all die or one survivor, and society regresses to something out of Mad Max. Zombies will either be fast or slow, and go down with a headshot. That gets as tiring and bland as a cafeteria hamburger day in and out fast. Now look at the films that deviate from that formula. Fido's a 1950s post-deadrise society that's adapted to the new norm. Let Sleeping Corpses Lie is a situational reanimation. Warm Bodies is from the zombie perspective and is reversible. Undead, outer space influence. Zoombies, zombie animals. Children Shouldn't Play with Dead Things, reasonably intelligent zombies that might not be killable. Contracted, the experience of a patient zero. I, Zombie is another from the perspective of the zombie. Wyrmwood, with fire breathers and the telepathic control . The Returned, post-deadrise society holding on to things by a thread. If we expand the definition of zombie, we've got the Templars from the Blind Dead films, and the reanimated carriers in Night of the Creeps. The only time we get something new added to the standard formula is when something exploring outside the box is a hit such as Return of the Living Dead, but holy poo poo it's like pulling teeth with no anesthesia to get anyone to take creative risk.

Even looking at the book World War Z, what made it compelling for me was that it went past the standard formula and showed all levels of society as well as other countries dealing with the outbreak and adapting to the new norm. Disappointment that the movie was, I'd still like to see it adapted into a series. I want to see the Battle of Yonkers, dammit. Same goes for the RPG All Flesh Must Be Eaten allowing for a variety of settings and zombie types. Walking Dead had me at the premise of 'let's see something more than an initial outbreak setting', but lost me on the 'here's the latest serving of poo poo happens again'.

There is so much more that can be done with zombies, but everyone sticks to the formula which makes the sub-genre feel played out. I want to see more from outside the formula box. I want to see more of the traditional zombie in the style of White Zombie. I want to see more post outbreak societies that haven't all gone to warlords and rapegangs. Humanity has civilization because we're a social and co-operative loving species dammit. I want to see more variety of zombie other than headshots to kill and focusing on brains. I'm tired of there being no awareness of anything horror genre, poo poo.. Dead Snow had it, so did ROTLD. It's not a guarantee it's going to be useful, but some awareness helps the setting. Let's see more variety in reanimation beyond disease or radiation. Dead & Breakfast was cursed item, Burial Ground used magic text, Toxic Zombies used contaminated weed, and Redneck Zombies used tainted moonshine. What about exploring any commentary other than 'mindless public consumerism'? The Dead 2 touched on the possibility of Brahma's plan and reincarnation. With the zombie film I was involved with, we touched on factoring in rigor mortis' effect on zombies, so why not explore avenues of decay more?. I'd think zombie adipocre would be just as contagious as a bite. Same goes for any other zombie material remains. Why not explore potential reanimation reversal and what impact that would have?

I'd type more, but typing with a broken wrist sucks.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

The Soska Sisters aren't that bad, they also did American Mary. I get the vibe SNE2 was extremely a "paying the rent" kind of movie for them.

I feel they're more overrated than awful. Nothing they've done so far really clicked with me and the only thing I disliked was that Helevator show they did.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Drunkboxer posted:

Helevator was so bad.

I don't say this lightly, but I was ticked off that I wasted time out of my life watching the episodes I did.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

married but discreet posted:

Oh dear, Lake Placid is adorable. A giant X movie where none of the cast dies, and they don't kill the animal cause it's a miracle of nature!

Betty White's character was so much like my Mom. She would be the one feeding the man eating gator while feeling bad she had to use a cow to do it.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

TheKingslayer posted:

I've only ever seen bootlegs at conventions.

And you get teases like this: https://www.amazon.com/Freddys-Nightmares-Complete-Robert-Englund/dp/B00MENPNBC

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

K. Waste posted:

Italians don't do metaphor.

Speaking as an Italian-Sicilian, we mostly don't. When it comes to gialli titles, you just have to keep rewatching until you understand the title choice.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

CelticPredator posted:

I just watched In the Mouth of Madness for the first time. Holy moly that was dope.

Those creature effects during that one scene...my goodness.

I held off watching this for years for whatever reason. Finally watched it a few years back and it's one of my Carpenter faves now.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Franklin’s the most likeable character, everyone loving abandons him because he’s inconvenient to cart around everywhere.

Doesn't help that he's a bit of an rear end in a top hat.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Tolkien minority posted:

TCM is the best horror movie period don’t @ me

I'm not sure I'd consider it the best, but it is drat good. Being that I have a TCM reprint poster hanging in my kitchen, I might be a bit biased.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Fart City posted:

The greatest compliment I can give Psycho is that I had the privilege of seeing a restored screening awhile back, and the two high school-aged kids sitting in front of me leapt what felt like five feet into the air when Norman rushes Arbogast on the stairwell. And that was watching it in the jaded year of 2016. Good filmmaking remains evergreen, no matter how the medium evolves.

Seeing any old film on the big screen's an experience. Some years back when the had Frankenstein and Bride of Frankenstein making the rounds, for as many times as I've seen both, seeing them on the big screen was like seeing them for the first time again. So many nuances I never noticed only showed up with being on the big screen like the guy doing the introduction for Frankenstein does look like he's gazing down at the audience.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

While I've mentioned my Mom having been president of Christopher Lee's fan club back in the day, I mostly never went into detail because of possible internet detectivery. But with how introspective I've gotten with being down with the broken wrist, and digging around for what I can share, here's some stuff I have with some reminiscing. Sorry for the state of the pics, I don't have a scanner so it's making do with my tablet camera. Once I get a scanner, I'll be able to post more. My Mom's the one who got me into horror films, pretty much had me watching them from when I could sit up in the playpen. There were also plenty of times her and my Dad would take me with to the show when they couldn't get a babysitter, so I got to see The Exorcist, House of Psychotic Women and Jaws when they first came out.

I was really young when my Mom was club president, like around kindergarten age. Naturally I was drafted into helping along with things like open the fan mail kinda stuff, prep the fanzines for mailing. For as crazy as we think fandoms are now, they were crazy back in the 70s. Because of the Hammer Dracula films, we did have someone mail in a vial of their blood, and another person who was so lonely they were willing to sacrifice animals to Satan to have Dracula acknowledge them. Needless to say, this resulted in some discussions most kindergartners never had with their parents. It was also no big deal for Christopher Lee to call the house, which had me thinking it's a perfectly normal thing for actors to be calling people's houses until I learned otherwise.

Here's one of the few fanzines from then that I still have. I remember Mom typing up the original on her typewriter, pasting the fan art and photos in to get taken to the printshop. Member fees pretty much paid for the bulk of it, but there were some times that Mom paid for some out of pocket. Fandom was way more of a community back then. My Mom was besties with the Leonard Nimoy fan club president and we had someone high up in the Bruce Lee fan club staying with us for a while. Everyone shared memorabilia and meetup info happily. My Mom also struck up correspondence friendships with a lot of the fans. This led to interesting conversations years later such as when Children Shouldn't Play With Dead Things was on the midnight horror movie and my Mom commenting that it was nice that Alan finally made a movie. Turns out he'd write her about all these ideas he had and she kept telling him he should make movies with all these good ideas.

She was good friends with Forry Ackerman, got printed in Famous Monsters quite a bit. I credit Forry with showing me that you don't have to outgrow horror films. Did get to wear Imhotep's ring, and my Dad got to wear Lugosi's cape and ring.

One of my big fanclub memories was meeting Christopher Lee at O'Hare Airport for the promo tour for Man with the Golden Gun. Despite how many times I'd seen Christopher Lee in the Hammer films, it was seeing him in a plaid suit that scared me silent. I was also weirded out by Herve Villechaize because he was a grown up but my height.

I used to have more memorabilia, but my ex-husband felt I had too much attachment to things and trashed a lot.

Here's one of the few Peter Cushing things I have left, and here's the back of the photo with name blocked out.

Note reads "May God's blessing be with you always in all sincerity."

Funny story behind this pic was we'd gone to a Charleton Heston film fest where they were showing all the films he had at the time. My Dad had gone to get snacks but came back emptyhanded telling us we had to get to the lobby NOW. Mom grumbled a bit since we had good seats, but we got up and there was Charleton Heston waiting in the empty lobby, so I got the pic signed.

We did do the convention thing, but what pics I have look awful with the tablet camera, so those'll have to wait for a scanner.

Last pic to share is from the letters section of the fanzine.

Christopher Lee was true to his word, he didn't retire.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

flashy_mcflash posted:

I saw Scream on opening weekend, and it was such early days of the internet that nothing was spoiled. It was a real shocker for the audience and that was a time when stunt-casting someone like Barrymore wasn't done nearly as often as it is now.

I don't think anyone had the impression that Scream was a thriller rather than straight-ahead horror though? I certainly recall the marketing making that explicit, and when you see Wes Craven's name on a poster you don't assume anything but horror. We all went in with the expectation of it being a horror movie.

e: that Christopher Lee post owns

There is that trend of Hollywood not liking to promote a horror film as horror, even though horror movies do put asses in the theater seats.. Arachnophobia was pushed as a 'thrill-omedy', Silence of the Lambs was pushed as a crime thriller or they pushed the 'from the best-selling book'. Whether those campaigns were actually successful in making people think they weren't sitting through a horror film's debateable.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Hollismason posted:

Me watching movies

"This looks like total trash Imma watch it"

Also me

" This was a terrible idea"

Also Also Me

"Well I have invested 30 minutes of my life may as well finish it"

I wish I could laugh at this, but I'm guilty of it too.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Choco1980 posted:

Oh even today people like critics have trouble admitting Silence is horror-especially since it won so many drat Oscars, and horror never belongs there with those snobs.

I will never forget or forgive Siskel & Ebert's reaction to Friday the 13th with not only spoiling the film, but doxxing people involved with the film.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

The Senator Giroux posted:

What’s the story with this?

Here's a pretty good overview with links.

https://uproxx.com/hitfix/siskel-and-ebert-vs-friday-the-13th-a-brief-scathing-history/

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Looks like Simon Pegg's dipping into the horror comedy waters again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QI7kBD6hoKw

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

lizardman posted:

I find the pearl-clutching about him "doxxing" the filmmakers amusing: these were not anonymous internet people, they're Hollywood producers and actors who put their names on the film. If they hadn't anticipated that getting hate mail came with the territory, they should have.

It's one thing to have hate mail come through the usual avenues of the studio or agency, it's another thing to publish where someone lives to invite that to possibly involve their personal lives and families.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

lizardman posted:

It's absolutely fair to disagree and take issue with his chosen form of protest regardless, but the general attitude I pick up from folks disgruntled with the whole slasher controversy (and I sense some of this in your post) is that they were mostly prudish, disingenuous stick-in-the-muds who were overreacting because they were just so stuffy they couldn't handle that a lot of people loved something that they really hated.

Maybe there was some of that going on, but the alarm over the slasher film transcended political ideologies and personality types, and you can definitely tell Siskel and Ebert weren't just doing this because they simply hated it, they legitimately thought that major studios investing millions into (what they saw as) simulated snuff films that were topping the weekend box office charts was a portentous social problem.

A few pages back we had some posters encouraging others to skip the next Phantasm flick because it sounded like it was going to be an obscene race-baiting exploitation fare. I have a feeling if I were to doxx the filmmaker's home addresses and invited goons to write them nasty letters there wouldn't be the same sympathy that folks are giving the crew of Friday the 13th.

"But that's different," you're thinking - and you're right. The difference is that we find that to be a disgusting and alarming-enough thing worthy of such a provocative reaction. Whether or not the higher-profile members of the Friday the 13th crew deserved to get hate mail sent to their personal mailboxes rests entirely on if you think they were doing something truly reprehensible and socially reckless - Siskel and Ebert genuinely thought yes, what they were doing was that bad and yes they deserved to be heckled for it.

(This is of course giving them the benefit of the doubt that their primary motivation was to get filmmakers to reconsider and stop what they're doing rather than just getting petty revenge, but Siskel and Ebert seemed flexible enough I'm comfortable granting that).

To preface slightly, I'm anti-doxxing in general because I did once have a self-published wannabe horror writer who insisted he was the second coming of Poe and Lovecraft get pissed off at me enough to go tracking down where I lived. He never right out said my address, but he listed off quite a few places that were within a couple blocks of my home. That was enough for me since the dude is known to have severe mental issues and capable of who knows what, my kids were still little, we had pets, and my then husband is crazy/drunk enough beat someone bloody and not care about jail time. All that for calling someone a no talent hack.

So to me while writing a letter to call someone a piece of poo poo for making a particular movie is on the low end of the scale, once that home address is out there, you really don't know what someone will do with it. People have been stalked to the point of needing police protection or needing to move, some have to change their phone number multiple times, others have lost jobs or worse. As far as the Puppet Master example goes, go ahead and write a letter on paper to the studio. They get enough physical letters they can't excuse as bot written emails, they're going to have to take things serious, and there's my favorite of hitting them in the profit line of spending no money on it.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Franchescanado posted:

I've never seen the Snoop Dogg film Bones because it has a reputation for being terrible, but it has the same director of Demon Knight. What's the deal?

If you like the old Blaxploitation films, you'll like Bones.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Casimir Radon posted:

Is it Apt Pupil or did he write another story where a kid shoots people with a rifle?

Rage is the one most people think of since King had it pulled after Columbine and so there's a mystique about it. I read it years ago and barely remember it. As far as King's works go, he's always been great with short stories and novellas, but novels tend to be hit or miss. He has issues when it comes to endings.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Untrustable posted:

Also The Thing is the best Carpenter movie.

I saw that at the show. What was funny was it was playing in theater one while E.T. was in theater 2 so you had your choice of love the alien or fight the alien.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

FreudianSlippers posted:

Why hasn't anyone made a Polybius movie?

Like the Ring and/or Videodrome except with a arcade machine.

There's been some short indie films on youtube about it.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Hollismason posted:

Puppet Master the Littles Reich is garbage.

That's still being too kind.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Choco1980 posted:

Yeah, we screened the new Puppet Master last night in the discord. I apologize for those of you who watched and didn't realize that when I host a film there it's never a good time for anybody. The direction (which took two people) was incredibly flat and dull. The writing was just as racist if not more so (The scene some reviews mention where a pregnant woman of color gets her fetus ripped out of her, was done by a puppet whose design was straight out of The Protocols of The Elders of Zion. Yes, really, a racist Jewish caricature stealing a baby.) The gore was indeed decent. Also the cast was way too good to be sleepwalking through the racist tinged zingy script. Also, it ends on a "To be continued..." because the movie wasn't loving over the audience enough yet.

Even if they took out the racist parts, it was still a pretty lovely movie.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Spatulater bro! posted:

Have you seen the original Village of the Damned? Really good stuff.

The book it's based on is very good too.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

I can't think of a theme to go with. I've got stuff going back to the late 1890s on up.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Hollismason posted:

I'm probably gonna do thirty one foreign horror films. One of which I hope to be the nineteen thirties Spanish Dracula

It's very good. Surprised you've not seen it yet.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Franchescanado posted:

And Grave Encounters, if that's still on

The first one yeah, the second one was a bit lacking I thought.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

CelticPredator posted:

also here's a bit from an interview on BMD, where one guy there loves the film and doesn't see the weird comments the effects artist makes

Someone should tell him he did a poo poo job on the puppet redesign.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

COOL CORN posted:

Wow, if you have any affinity for Stephen King at all, Castle Rock is incredible. Just binged the first 6 episodes today. The references are rapid-fire as hell, but not in a fanservicey way.

I have to say I hate it because most horror shows I like and get really into get cancelled within the first season or two.

R.I.P.: Reaper, Warehouse 13, Carnivale, Dresden files, Eerie Indiana, Brimstone, Dark shadows with ben cross, Kindred the Embraced, Poltergeist the Legacy.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Choco1980 posted:

So does that mean Full Moon is just going all in on this whole alt-right thing? :smith:

Or they're hurting for money enough anyone's cash is green enough.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

el oso posted:

Watched Hell House LLC. It was cool and good.

As most other found footage movies it owes a good amount to Ghostwatch so I'll pay this tax:

Ghostwatch is also a fascinating bit of media history being one of the earliest if not the earliest fauxcumentory/found footage show. From what I've read people did freak out to some degree over it, and there is a written sequel/followup for it that was written by the guys behind the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Kvlt! posted:

i can't remember what the first HGL movie I watched was I think it was Gore Gore Girls, but there was like a 30 second cut of some dude just mashing a pile of wet red makeup and I thought that mustve been like the most extreme thing 1972 had ever seen

For me it was Joe Bob hosting Two Thousand Maniacs. By later standards the effects are silly, but I figured that's what was top notch back then.