Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
On the topic of "Hugest car you've ever driven", I recently had a 2014 Taurus as a rental car, 202 inches long, zero visibility out of any window except the front one, with a ride height that puts the seating position at roughly the same height as a F-150 cockpit. It's basically an SUV that looks like a sedan. I could see the entire roof of normal-sized cars (Altima, Accord) while seated with the seat as low as it would go. I don't know how it felt so much bigger than the late 70's land barges I grew up around but it does.

I do have to commend the backup/parking sensor as there's no possible way you could ever parallel park it without that. I honestly believe a 1980's Lamborghini has more rear visibility.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Are you from Lancashire? Nice car/plate combo, that plate must have cost a bit with "V8" on there.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Ormy posted:

Thanks; it was actually very cheap! I'm from Cumbria, close enough. Are you on some UK forums?

Yeah, a couple UK BMW forums.. but mostly, "Ormy" makes me think of Ormskirk, Lancs so thought you might be from the area.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
My car's not blue, it's gray.

Have some audio of a cold starting 4 liter V8 to atone for my sin.
https://vimeo.com/124575684

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Heh, it's all good, the ladies love a power bulge and a CF roof and you can't order either of those from Cobb :v:

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
On the up side, if both of you smoke the tire next to each other, it'll look like a proper set of elevenses :lsd:

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Gonna need some video of that! How much does a set of tires run you?

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Replace it with a ///M badge to really wind him up.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Bape Culture posted:

Painted and front looks high. Idk.
A friend had the same thing, turned out the paint shop was doing burnouts for forum cred and raised the coilovers in the front to get better squat in the back, maybe ask them if u can post the video ??

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Kepler 452b called, they can see your badge is acceptable from there

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Number of burnouts in the last 300 posts: 0

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

kimbo305 posted:

Part of the problem, I see.

eyebeem posted:

YOUR MOVE, SHITLORD

Cage posted:

a dustout

Well this backfired.

So I ripped it UP in my parking garage at work while it was empty last night to create wicked-burnout.jpg for you guys. #shmokeshow #yolo #etc

My clutch, my diff!!!
:smuggo:

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
I'm just teasing buddy :v:

Any burnout is a good burnout.

edit: unless your $100k car has a stripe on it

edit 2: and of course one wheel 145 series FWD burnouts from 1980's shitheaps are the sexiest burnouts ever omg have you seen how gorgeous this Tercel is??

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
I think I like the color version better, I like how the (upper portion of the) sky is the same hue as the car, but a slightly different tone - they complement each other nicely.

Great pic either way.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Das Volk posted:

Same here, makes driving around at low speeds a bitch since it's below idle speed <10MPH

My first gear only goes to 41 mph because :scrubtier:, but throttle sensitivity/engine braking in the M3 is so absurd (as I'm sure you know) it's impossible to use 1st gear beyond about 25ish mph speeds anyway unless you like having your face fly off and hit the windshield every time you lift 10%. Plus, 2nd is Bavarian Freight Train Mode so it's pretty fun to 'ease' it into 2nd at about 7000 and then just go hog wild.

I can only imagine what those 'rolling takeoff' pulls are like in the Viper/Murcie. Insanity.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Comrade Flynn posted:

Isn't there a 4 door 4 series as well? BMW has gone full retarded with their naming schemes.

It was massively retarded how they changed the M3 to the 4-door version and the M4 to the... not-4 door version.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Das Volk posted:

Are we still doing burnouts? I decided my old tires needed to go before the race this weekend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBnSwYyhO68

Finally. A burnout. Tremek's really going to have to up his game at the Hillclimb launch to compete now.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Nicely done.

I'll have to come next year with a little more planning, I didn't have time to get my oil changed/get new tires/figure travel & lodging out sufficiently this year once I got the wild idea to come up at the last moment. In Scott's words from last year though, "I'm not doing thaaat."

In other news, we're getting a GT4 friend at work soon, she just got notified that it arrived on the boat today. Hopefully they tow that mostly-stationary yellow piece of poo poo and clean up the superfund site underneath it and she can park there.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Das Volk posted:

There was a bit of confusion from this year's event, between Hooniverse reporting the P1 won (it was shoeish in his GTR again) and the Smoking Tire / Motor Trend crew. I asked Jonny to bring his choice of car and a film crew to the hill this year, so there will be an MT video forthcoming as well as MT/Roadkill articles.

Tremek got a nice shot of me taking the big decreasing radius turn before the straight:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xb19dkZiyI

Nice. That car sounds great, and that blue bonnet stretching out in front of you looks perfect under the Nevada sky on the in-car footage. Clever plan getting the media to do the writeup for you.

I'll see you guys next year.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Bill Dungsroman posted:

2007 GT, got it used (one previous owner, and only 6000K miles on it!), love it, want to do things to its engine.

6000k miles? I hope the previous owner's round trip daily commute to the sun was "all highway miles"

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Red is the best E46 M3 color, by far. Great pics, whoever got those for you.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
I had a 2014 Taurus for a rental for 3 weeks last year. It was surprisingly nice/refined, but yes, it's the yugest sedan I've ever been in and when I looked over at SUV drivers and realized they were sitting at the same height as I was, it struck me that it's not really a sedan, it's more of a 4-door SUV that looks like a sedan. Luckily it had a backup camera because there was zero chance of seeing anything out the back window that wasn't 5 feet above the ground. Wasn't gutless, wasn't fast. Bodyroll Ahoy. I found it to be a lot nicer than I anticipated, but it was enormous and barely fit in most city parking spots. As you can see it's actually wider than that Jeep a couple spots over, and just a bit shorter.

To add some actual thread-title-related content, here's a picture of my roof after not washing my car for like 3 weeks, because California.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Yeah, those "fast" mustangs had the same amount of power as a FR-S and weighed 300 pounds more.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Agreed. It's just that the V8's of the same era (once tuned/worked on) had a lot more room to improve.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

blk posted:

Is that a reference I don't get or do Alfa Spyders really work on coeds?

Here's to you, Mrs. Robinson

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Skipped work today, took the wife for a drive instead.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Raluek posted:

That he has a job, and is married to an E92? To each their own, I guess.

Ahem, the E92 is my mistress.
You can see a tiny section of my wife's hair in the rear view mirror on the last one. I HAVE A WIFE GUYS, REALLY

(After re-reading the wording I used in the post I did wonder how long before someone made this joke though.)

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Yep - that's exactly what we did. Great day out. One of my favorite roads, it's all 2nd and 3rd gear twists and acceleration/engine braking until suddenly midway through the scenery turns incredible and you have to slow down and observe a bit -- and when the weather cooperates it can really be amazing when you break over the final valley and suddenly there's the Pacific and the sky is that great deep blue you usually only get in January/February after the rains.

I feel like as homage to the late great Paul Walker, it's required to say, out loud, "MORE THAN YOU CAN AFFORD, PAL" as I leave Decker onto the PCH for the last 2 miles or so to the 'Net.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Nice. I like the white ones a lot. Did you go straight from a Toyobaru to this?

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
The hottest hatchback, E92

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
I got a Donald Trump Wig and an external mic for my GoPro, wired my M3 for sound and then drove through some tunnels.

https://vimeo.com/150190642

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Washed and waxed my car. :toot:

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
My wife legit does the V8 salute at the M3. And in other situations, as needed.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Here's my car history in chronological order, with potato-era being the only era for the first two (which are actually different cars)

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
:hf: I get lots of comments about the color and have rarely seen any twins - it also stays looking clean in between washes a million times better than black.

The only other color I'd consider is that Interlagos blue like you had in the UK, looks so good in the california twilight/orangey light.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
A little late for nose-chat but I took this picture when I was in Phoenix a couple weekends back.

And the trip back to LA. #fueleconomysalute

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
My mom's 2006 Avalon has a square tire setup and let me tell you, it handles like a dream.

Firefox also doesn't autoscale images.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
I realize it's super critical that we see that literally 30 inch wide picture of some crap you took with your cellphone, but unfortunately this theory that tables aren't broken by 5000px wide images is sadly untrue, at least in archaic and unused browsers like up to date Firefox. All you have to do is put a lowercase 'l' (that's an L) at the end of your imgur link.

Here's a picture I took yesterday with my cellphone that takes 60" wide pictures :smug: