Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

davebo posted:

I hate how you're always a slightly better version of myself. I've got a Corvette but yours is better, I got a blue Optima SX but yours is newer and now looks better too (aside from the turbo badge I still hate).

I'm not interested in lowering mine because for me it still has to be very utilitarian and I have the C5 if I want to go fast on a stiff ride, but I was interested in getting new wheels for it. I've never actually bought aftermarket wheels for a vehicle though and there's just too many options out there. Any recommendations on what you think looks good on a blue optima?

I sold the vette and now only have the Optima :ssh:

I also hate the turbo badge but whatever, I'm not going to bother trying to switch it out.

Honestly I think aftermarket wheels look bad on Optima's unless the car is lowered. It just looks awkward to me. I also really like the '14 turbo wheels so I haven't really looked into new ones much at all. Though I don't think you could go wrong with a set of TSW nurbergrings or something similar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

Larrymer posted:

20mm spacers? It must have had bread truck wheel offset.

eh, the stock wheels are 18x7.5 +46 and they look like every other non performance sedans stock fitment.

This is what it looks like stock

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

kimbo305 posted:

Did you not like the vette?

I loved it, but I only have one parking spot and can't park on the street overnight at my current place. I also had a slow second half of last year work wise and decided that if I wasn't going to have the extra money to do trackdays with it then I may as well get something I can drive during the winter without having to worry about the weather as well as have something more practical.

Ideally I'll get another one down the road but for now the Optima will have to do.

I was also hoping they would go forward with the gt4 stinger and I would be able to lease one of those when my Optima lease is up.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

real_scud posted:

drat I'm jealous because I wanted a blue SX but couldn't find one anywhere. Also I could've sworn that all SX's come with LED fogs

The SX-turbo has the regular fog lights, the SXL (limited) all have the quad led fog lights. I don't like the quilted leather or the chrome wheels on the SXL so I went with the regular SX. I do wish I had the black microfiber headliner that comes in the SXL though. That makes the car feel nicer for sure.

The corsa blue isn't really that rare, we generally get one in every month or two. I just checked the dealer stocks for the north east region and there are 54 blue SX turbo's available compared to 68 black, 45 Titanium, 70 satin metal (this sort of blows my mind because we almost never get these in stock), 48 white, and 52 red. Fairly even production counts across the different colors.

After having the car lowered for almost a week I am super happy I did it. It feels much better going through turns to the point where its the tires that give up before the suspension. The car used to feel floaty and unhappy going through any turns at speed. Now it feels a lot more composed and planted. Its almost a fun car to drive now.

kill me now fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Jun 18, 2014

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

BrokenKnucklez posted:

They look great, I just openly poo poo on the underpinnings is all. I just felt like it was a little rushed

The underpinnings are fine. They ride nice and handle just fine for what they are shooting for. With a bit of work (like nearly any car with an aftermarket) you can make them handle well. I used to track an SRT8 Magnum and with the coilovers and sways that were on it I had no trouble putting down respectable times with it.

It would be great if they could make the next gen Challenger lighter and more handling focused but its funny when you say the chassis is a generation behind its competition when they literally just switched the mustang over to IRS for the 2015 model year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjfJntYph_4

god drat do i miss that car.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

You guys seriously love to bitch about visibility. Its really not as a bad as you complain about. If you have side windows and mirrors you shouldn't have a problem parking it in any situation. Backup cameras and sensors are nice but absolutely not necessary even with modern cars like the charger or Taurus. I've driven 5th gen Camaro's and you get used to it after a drive or two and that's about the worst offender visibility wise.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

Adaptive cruise control is super cool and great for commuting. Pretty much set it and chill.

It feels creepy the first time you try it but once you get used to it you'll never want to go back.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Used with one owner and under 17,000 miles. The PO traded it in for the 3.8.

was it a CPO car? If it wasn't you would only have the balance of the 5yr/60k basic warranty

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

bird with big dick posted:

Lane keep assist but no adaptive cruise control? That’s bizarre.

Lane keep assist is camera based and piggybacks off the same hardware for the forward collision alert. It’s a nearly no cost feature to add for the mfg.

Adaptive cruise on the other hand uses radar sensors that have to be added. That means more cost and more chips.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

Head Bee Guy posted:

Not always. Subaru does adaptive cruise based solely on their eyesight camera system.

I’m specifically talking about Hyundai/Kia. Though it does apply to the majority of mfg’s

Subaru and Tesla being two exceptions to that.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

Traded in my 2020 MINI Cooper S for a 2023 JCW that I factory ordered

Its a manual JCW with the red multitone roof with moonroof delete in Nanuq white

https://i.imgur.com/0HLtazl.mp4

Immediately put the lowering springs/swaybar/intake/JB+ from the old MINI on it and I love it.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

Those HRE’s look fantastic on your car.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

New wheels for the JCW

I had to get a set of camber plates to dial in a little bit of camber so the front wheels wouldn't poke out from under the fender but I'm really happy with how they came out.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

Thanks,

The wheels are a dark bronze color, I think it goes well with the red to sliver transition in the multitone roof paint.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

Not dissing your ride, it's pretty sweet and I bet it's a goddamned hoot to drive, but I had an ex who drove a Mini and we used to joke the JCW version was a "buy two get one" special.

I'm not sure I follow

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

For the price of two ( base models)you get one (JCW)

That’s where you lost me I guess

A base Cooper starts at about $26k and the JCW starts at $36k

It’s not any different from just about any other brands base model compared to the top performance sub brand version.

Anyway, it does in fact rip

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

Imperador do Brasil posted:

Picking it up on Monday to replace the boy’s troubled Volvo V70.

2003 Z4 2.5i 5-speed , about 112k miles.

The story is the shop owner had this car sitting in a garage bay for a while to use it as a parts car but didn’t take anything off it, so he had his daughter use it as an art project. He just put new brakes on it along with some other stuff, and brought it to Carlisle to sell. It’s getting inspected Monday. Needs a good interior cleaning but we plan on keeping the paint as-is and getting a matching custom plate. Suggestions are welcome.

congrats on the purchase but
:chloe:
https://www.npr.org/2022/03/09/1085471200/the-letter-z-russia-ukraine

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

Ah yes, I am clearly supporting the Russian invasion of Ukraine by buying a Z car with Z’s on it.

Why must goons always ruin things?

We know you aren't, but the people who see you when your driving around might not.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

Nissan had better change that new sports car name. It’s got FOUR HUNDRED Z’s

Did you know that the swastika is actually an ancient hindu symbol, therefore...... :goonsay:

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

You know this is literally not the point I’m making.

I mean you do you, if you want to be "that guy" go for it.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

dog its literally 1 of 26 letters in the Latin alphabet. it's not some foreign ancient symbol

So is "S" but you can bet I wouldn't want to drive around in a car plastered with "SS'" "SS" "SS" "SS" "SS" "SS" "SS" "SS" "SS" "SS" "SS" "SS" all over it.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

chrisgt posted:

i don't run front plates on most of my vehicles and in the last 15 years i've had a cop give me poo poo about it one time.
i guess they have bigger fish to fry than a missing front license plate.

Cops typically don't care about the front plates. Its parking enforcement that you have to worry about.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

chrisgt posted:

Where can parking enforcement give you tickets for equipment violations when you're not driving?? This seems insane

At least in NY parking enforcement can give tickets for expired inspection stickers, registrations, and missing or covered license plates in addition to actual parking violations.

If your car is parked on the street or in a public lot its fair game for them to ticket. They can't ticket if it is on your property.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

Arishtat posted:

I, uh, did a thing.

Mini Cooper John Cooper Works GP

Awesome, did it also come with the original GP wheels? And has it rattled all the fillings out of your teeth yet?

Welcome to the JCW club.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

I have a handy dandy google sheet for my car history that is color coded

So

Harvest gold, Midnight blue pearl, Bright silver metallic, Cyber Grey, Corsa Blue, Snow White Pearl, Soul Red metallic, Caribbean Blue metallic, British Racing Green, Black Sapphire Metallic, San Remo Green, Nanuq white w/red multitone roof, Black Sapphire Metallic

now try and guess the cars

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

Arishtat posted:

Did someone say BEEEEES?

BEEEEADS?

love the GP3

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

Full Collapse posted:

WeatherTech uber alles

because they are super chuds?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

bird with big dick posted:

Weathertech is crap compared to Maxpider (and others) anyway. After you have both weather tech will just seem like hard thin cheap plastic (because they are). I also preferred the factory more rubbery winter mats that were an option in my F150.

This is the actual reason to not get weathertech. They are very slippery and there are better nicer options.