Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Electric handbrake? How is one supposed to perform handbrake turns in the snow with one of those?

In other news, I found the first body rust on my '09. Paint chips on the roof.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I think they sorted out the paint issues with the final year of the Gen1 Mazda3, I have zero body rust on mine here in the frozen salt-covered hellscape of SW Ontario.

Though I have noticed my roof has more pockmarks than a 14 year old boy, little rust spots everywhere. I'll have to take a stone/touch-up paint to those in the summertime.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Has anyone ever replaced the front suspension on a 1st gen Mazda 3? If so, how tough it is to do?

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

:stare:

I live in SW Ontario. The GTA to be specific.

I have a set of jackstands and no air tools.

...I'm taking this to a shop aren't I.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I couldn't find any place to hook bow/stern lines on for a canoe.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I would think having an AWD Mazda3 would cut into sales of the CX-3, would it not?

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Cabin air filters on the 1st gen are annoying too. Drop glove box, drop electrical panel, disconnect battery...just dumb.

I've had Ecopias on my '08 since about 35k (km), they're going to need replacement and I'm at 180k km. But I do have snows on for 5 months of the year.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Wibla posted:

To and from work in the daily I mostly just steer, adaptive cruise does the rest, so I guess that's pretty accurate :v:

I'm trying to decide between manual and auto in my next car, considering I do 100km per day on Canada's most congested highways I'm leaning towards auto...but man I miss having a stick-shift.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

AWD turbo Mazdaspeed 3 with a DSG, take all my money.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm at 180k km on my '08.5, hit a pothole last week on the loving 401 and now there's a loud-rear end clunking whenever I hit a bump on the front right, and a wicked shimmy over 90km/h.

Rust is starting to pop up too, rooftop is all pitted and there's the start of bubbling in the wheel-wells. I'm tempted to trade in.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

THE CURSE. BEWARE THE CURSE

Farewell to thee '08.5 Mazda 3 sport. Canadian Winter has finally taken it's final toll, putting your face into a guardrail and wrecking the BRAND NEW loving SUSPENSION.

Dicks.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

:stare:

I have no idea why my insurance company gave me so much money for a ten year old car with 185k km but I am not complaining.

Just bought a 2018 Mazda3 Sport GT with the premium package. The HUD is baller as gently caress.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Martytoof posted:

Should I be plowing my 08.5 into a guard rail, is this what I'm hearing?

Please don't. I miss my old car even though this new one is superior in every way.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

It feels like an extremely well put together vehicle, the ADD is really nice for keeping your eyes on the road. Infotainment system is a little laggy.

The soul red colour is gorgeous.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Can confirm soul red is in fact bitching awesome.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'd like to see Android Auto and Carplay support because man the infotainment system leaves much to be desired.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Crossover utility vehicles are where the money is for car companies these days. When I was shopping for my 3 the dealer didn't have a single new CX5 on the lot, the waits are apparently pretty crazy. Same with XV Crosstreks, I was looking at around a 3-4 week wait if I ordered one new.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

The dampening is significantly better as compared to Gen1 Mazda3, but not as good as what you'd get in a civic or corolla.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Really? I honestly find the 2.5 to have plenty of balls, plenty of oomph compared to other stuff in the market that isn't turbo'd.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I honestly don't even remember if a manual on the 2.5 was even an option or if it was automatic only for the Mazda3. Can the standard handle that much extra power?

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Fabulousity posted:

:confuoot: Well, there's probably a tray for it even if they didn't put one in there... We're talking about a '06 3 here?

Also found the paper: Front brake linings are 8mm, rears at 6mm.

Gen1 Mazda3s absolutely have a cabin air filter. And it's absolutely an iron-clad bitch to get to.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Note:

You cannot mount a canoe to the roof of a 2018 mazda3 sport without the roof rack

The yoke chewed two holes thru the paint down to the metal because of the roof arch.

RIP paintjob

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

eddiewalker posted:

You can buy foam block kits meant to raise the boat a few inches and provide some give for ratchet straps to cinch onto. (Though the ones I tried kind of baked themselves onto the paint so I went and bought a rack anyways)

I used foam blocks and ratchet straps. Keeping the boat tight on the roof caused the roof panel to deform enough for the yoke screws to grind against the paint.
I've mounted canoes before on my old '08 mazda3 with no issues at all. I think the roofline is curved enough that there's no way to do it without a rack.
Guess I"m getting that repainted.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Does anyone here use an aftermarket roof rack? Any recommendations?

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

If they tell me it's a 600 dollar update on a 6 month old car I might just flip a table.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Focus ST, RS and fiesta ST

They only make SUVs, trucks and the mustang now.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

MotherFUCKER it has AWD

Why couldn't I have waited a goddamn year to drive my old 3 into a guardrail!

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

The Aardvark posted:

Same for the 17 with the Dunlop tires. Oh god I can't wait to replace them.

I was pretty goddamn stunned when I got my blizzaks put on that they're QUIETER than the Dunlops

What the gently caress how is that possible

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

dissss posted:

The 3 has always had an AWD version (as have pretty much all Japanese cars since the 90s). Has it been confirmed they're going to export it this time around?

The 3 has never had a North American AWD version. I believe the last compact car with AWD Mazda made for north america was the Turbo 323. Neither Gen 1/2 Proteges or Gen 1/2/3 Mazda 3 had it. Mazdaspeed6 had it but Mazdaspeed3 did not.

This will be a helluva competitor for Subaru up here in Canada.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Considering you can probably go on eBay and find a gently-used or aftermarket replacement for 10% of that cost, absolutely.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I took a seat in a 2019 3 the other day at the dealership, god that interior is slick. And they rectified one of my biggest peeves, there's a charging port underneath the HVAC controls.

Blind spots are not ideal though.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Boy oh boy is the cabin air filter in the Gen3 Mazda3 ever easier to change than the Gen1. Don't even need any tools!

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

MetaJew posted:

Quiet you! I've had a new filter in a box in my garage for probably a year that I've been meaning to replace in my gen 1.

Prepare for contortions. As far as I remember, it was;

Remove glove box
Remove electrical relay assembly
Remove center console cover panel
Remove bracket

Then you get to wedge your arm up behind the HVAC controls to make sure the filters are stacked properly.

On the Gen3 it's

Open glovebox
Squeeze sides of glovebox to drop it down
Remove cabin air filter
Install new.

Took me literally a minute.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Ended up getting Mazda to install the android auto/carplay update. Having Waze on the screen is really good, android auto is much better than the stock infotainment system.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Anyone have a suggestion for a roof rack? I need something for moving a canoe/cargo box. '18 MS3

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Charles posted:

We were talking about this in the Subaru thread actually. Both Yakima & Thule are good.

edit: what's weird was the mounting holes were hidden under the roof rails on mine. Why did Mazda do that? I put in new rails with removable clips, which is an OEM part. :iiam:

Yeah I just saw those are available with the Mazda OEM roof rack. Weird design choice.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm curious about this cheat code for the E-brake. What does that mean?

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Yeah I have a bunch of chips on my 2018 soul red

But that's because I do a lot of back-country driving for camping and cottages and poo poo. 100% need to repaint the thing if I'm gonna sell it.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Take her to your nearest dealership. Something had gone quite fucky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I would bet you could swing it. Or if it's still under warranty call Mazda roadside service.