Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
May I ask about non-MZR motors in here? I really like the Protege 5's handling, looks and interior and I read somewhere else in AI that the motor is the same between the turbo (FS-DET) and nonturbo (FS-DE) Protege sedans.

How hard is a turbo swap into a Protege 5? I've seen the turbo kit on the Mazdaspeed website, but it doesn't seem like that kit comes with anything else I need (manifolds, intercooler, oil lines). I haven't been able to find any prepackaged plumbing kits, but I haven't been looking very hard - I'll have to phone up my local turbo install shop and get a quote if I decide to go ahead with this, although it looks like buying a (probably high miles) used P5 and installing the turbo kit will be as much or more as a used bugeye WRX. Pretty much all the examples I can find have their (metric) odometers in the low six digits.

It doesn't look like the engine block/head on the 5 and the sedan is any different.

If anyone here has actually done the swap, what's the driveability like? I don't want huge monster horsepower - something like 50-60 extra horsepower and the ability to tune it would be enough to keep me very happy with the car. I was under the impression that the MSP is kind of uninspiring, but I'd prefer a small speed boost to torque-steer craziness.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Jun 23, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Partycat posted:

The vehicle feels like it "hauls rear end" quite a bit more as the engine is warming up. It warms up to half way up the temp gauge pretty quickly, within a few minutes most of the time, but before it gets there and for a while after it arrives, if you are rolling from a stop in first and keep it until 3500 RPM it just takes off. Not that that is the best thing to do with the cold motor but it certainly goes.
Most cars will "cold start" in this way - I think the technical term is fast idle. Basically, the ECU is trying to figure out a good fuel/air equilibrium, so it starts off super rich and then chokes it down.

It's perkier because you're using more fuel - this is what a lot of performance mods for turbo (and otherwise) cars do.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

destructo posted:

I wasn't aware that running retardedly rich was an easy way to make power :v:
Are you kidding? It makes that burbling sound - that's good for like an extra 50 horsepower. 100 if it pops between gears. :v:

That was pretty stupid of me to say - obviously the ECU tweaks do a lot more than just throw more fuel at the problem. I hadn't thought about the intake temperature either. Duh.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Jun 30, 2009

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Battle Cattle posted:

Is the Speed3 rear bumper different from the regular Mazda3 rear? I'm going to need a new one :(
My buddy just threw a used Speed3 bumper cover onto his normal '08 Mazda3 GT, so no problems.

PM me if you have any questions about the install and I'll give you his email address.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Dec 1, 2010

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

MetaJew posted:

Well, I'm going to buy/pick up a black 2009 Speed3 GT from a local guy that I asked about several days ago.

Do any of you guys have an oil catch can installed in your cars? I'm concerned about the accumulation of oil/carbon buildup in the intake that I've read about with the VW/Audi owners (and other people with DI engines). And if a catch can will extend the life and reduce maintenance on my car I'm all for installing one.
This is unrelated, and may not even concern you at all, but here we reportedly have a problem with air-oil separators (as well as the stock PCV) freezing solid at extremely cold temperatures and causing an oil starvation issue.

It's something you may want to look out for if you regularly drive the car in very cold weather, though I've never seen it myself and think the problem may be overblown.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Protege 5s rust in ways that I didn't even think was possible. Make sure you go over it with a fine toothed comb.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Rhyno posted:

So 3000 miles ago I was busy so I had a nearby shop do an oil change. I find out today that they didn't change the oil filter. This is why we do everything ourselves right?
If I have to use a shop, I always ask to see the old filter. I would imagine that could piss them off if they have to pull it out of the bin of oil they just dropped it into, though.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Rhyno posted:

I wouldn't worry, it's not like their cars run reliably, they can't beat you up if they can't make the drive to your home.
Most of them have bus passes.

Isn't the RX8 engine bay even shorter and narrower than the Miata one?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Laranzu posted:

Could a failing front drivers side control arm cause an MS6 to crab really hard when hitting potholes/sewer covers on the left side? Its crabbing from the rear to the point that sometimes traction control kicks in and cuts power. I'm pretty sure its the cause. Just feel like asking a stupid question.
Failing in what way? I had a bent control arm on my WRX producing bad caster that resulted in crabbing on certain road surfaces.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
How practical is doing an MS6 swap on one of those? I assume the engine is straightforward. Does the underbody have the appropriate clearance for the AWD driveshaft, etc?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
We use Rotella pretty heavily over in Subaru land. You can get lucky and get T6 really cheaply especially when it's on sale.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Rhyno posted:

Every time someone posts their Blackstone results I giggle a little bit. They're located in the absolute worst part of town. It's like a slice of Detroit was dropped into the city.

It's not like anyone's going to break in and steal gallons upon gallons of used motor oil.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
T6 is 5w40. It actually slowed down some of my oil leaks in the beater Subaru.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
If there's some Samco replacement try talking to jamal and see if he can order it in for you.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

BiRD BoY posted:

9 hours, 5 coats of black, and 2 of gold metalizer later.

That looks pretty good. I think I'll steal that colour when I go to get my wheels repainted eventually.

Also, since when do people in Toronto have recently-administered Alberta plates? :v:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

BlackMK4 posted:

I live in Arizona, I've never seen a car with rust. ;) I'll keep that in mind though.

You will. These cars could rust in a room purged of oxygen. They'd rot in the vacuum of loving space. They'd find a way.

Check around the hatch badges (Mazda drilled through the e-dip/galvanized metal to fit them) as well as the rear fender liners (classic salt/moisture trap, combined with classic Mazda spot welded seams and inadequate rocker drainage) and all exposed body seams.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Kraftwerk posted:

Did they fix that with the new ones? The dealer keeps reassuring me that those problems are old news but I dont trust them.

I've only seen one Mazda 3 on the roads with substantial cancer and it was an out-of-province sedan that looked like someone had poured airplane remover all over it before kicking it into a salt bath for a month. Every panel had enormous surface rust. Most of the rusty ones have a little bit of rear quarter rust or nastiness on the seams near an obvious rear-end repair. For some reason the sedans seem to be worse than the hatchbacks, anecdotally.

I'd say if you keep on top of washing it you should be fine, or at least not worse off than if you bought some other car in the same class.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Geoj posted:

This is happening. My father-in-law is on first-name basis with every scrap yard, salvage yard and auto recycler in the tri-county area and just sourced a 2.3 Duratec with a broken valve cover (something that has to be replaced anyways) for $300.

This is twisted and I love it. I can't wait to see someone else take this to the logical conclusion and jam an MZR from an MS3 into a Zetec Focus wagon.

e: Or a T5 from a C30 into a manual transmission last-gen Fusion.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I've seen DBW throttles freak out on Subarus, Saabs and Deltas before. Sometimes cleaning them with cleaner works. They usually have a self test mode to check function and if it's gummed up it throws codes.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

air- posted:

Intake is good power for the price. I have the Mazdaspeed (AEM) one configured as SRI after I hydrolocked.

E: oh oh, almost forgot. Car just got towed off to the shop. An S2K decided to make out with the back of my parked car on New Years :toot:

Holy poo poo, Mazda and S2000 curse of the same colour in the same post.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Rhyno posted:

It was DESTINY.

I'm just surprised the resulting collision didn't wipe out the entire block.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Once the t-case is replaced I imagine the rest of it will be fine. The damage is probably localized to that and I can't really imagine what else would be affected by running mismatched tires. Maybe the front/rear diff might have had its lifetime shortened but I doubt it'll be that dramatic.

IOwnCalculus posted:

What size tires are on the car and what size is stock? I wonder if there really is a significant difference in size.

It only takes like a quarter inch difference in rolling diameter on the Subarus to cook the viscous centre.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I've seen a CX-3 on the road and I just don't get it.
I sat in a (preproduction) RHD model at the auto show last weekend. It actually seems really nice, the Mazda 3 inspiration with the chunky centre tach is welcome and the overall package seems easier to drive and park in a crowded urban environment/soccer-mom hell than the CX-5.

If you think of it as "a version of the Mazda5 that will actually sell to North Americans," it's going to hit it out of the park IMO. Probably sell better than Honda's damp squib of an HR-V release any second now.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Yeah that sounds like a dead battery. If you can only thump the starter relay and can't spin the starter you probably don't have enough zoot to make it start to crank.

You did get some spin out of the starter, so try to get back to that state. Can you turn the engine by hand or is something jamming it?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I didn't know you moved to the Island.

God it's weird seeing those cars without holes in the body. It's like my brain is expecting detail in the rear quarter and disappointed at how plain it is.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Throatwarbler posted:

Just landed a couple of days ago. There's also a couple of Ecotec Cavaliers in the >$2000 range that I'm looking at but I would prefer a hatch or wagon. :unsmith:

Don't get a J-body, by the time they were Ecotec they were still way out of date.

In that price range I would go for an LW200 Saturn; still Ecotec, but could be available in a nice wagon.

Last time I was there (last weekend), they had a selection of minty Japanese classics that made me salivate. There's probably no bad choice in Japanese, manual, pre-2000.

edit: use UsedVictoria and Craigslist, not Kijiji. BC doesn't use Kijiji as a rule of thumb.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Feb 20, 2016

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
In Victoria I would not buy any car with a single speck of rust. You simply do not have to put up with it there.

http://www.usedvictoria.com/classified-ad/2001-Mazda-Protege-4-cylinder_26929776

This looks like another ad from the blue car: http://www.usedvictoria.com/classified-ad/2003-Mazda-Protege-5_26926981

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Feb 22, 2016

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I'd rather see a new Mazda6 than a V6 AWD Cadillac CTS which is what my last realtor drove.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Rhyno posted:

Because last year we had several windchills well below zero and if my car was outside it was a huge pain to start it.

Windchill doesn't affect cars, only humans, since cars aren't generally covered in skin.

Maybe your battery is getting weak?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Rhyno posted:

Holy fuckin hell, getting these new exhaust hangers on is not working. I just about knocked the car off the jackstands trying to wiggle this fucker on.

Try dish soap yet?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

MetaJew posted:

Welp, the girlfriend hates it. Apparently it sticks out far enough to touch her legs. I guess I'll see if I can make or modify the bracket to mount on the seat rail behind the driver seat, but the seats in the 3 only bolt to the floor on one side, on the inner rail, they bolt to the exhaust tunnel.

Fabricate a legrest extension.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
As a person who lives in a place that gets ice, I really want to punch whoever keeps pushing Tesla-style door handles for concept cars.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

MC Hawking posted:

Shortening studs

Nice job all around there.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

IOwnCalculus posted:

For those screws holding the drum on, get one of the hammer-style impact screw drivers. This is a job they are perfect for.

And if you really, really want to punish those screws, let me introduce you to the Shake 'n' Break:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pwz-NXj5ZIk

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

azazello posted:

Yes, literally the plunger from my toilet.

Get a PDR shop to work on it. They are way cheaper than you think, and will produce magical results.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Those are called speed nuts and they are definitely not supposed to spin (they are just tack-welded on and the tack weld breaks from rust and also probably impact guns).

You can get them from any car parts store, they are a generic part that tons of cars share. I think Dorman has a few of them in their HELP! line.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I am looking really seriously at a '19 Mazda3 hatch right now. Are there any show-stopping nightmares with the 2.0L in the new gen of 3s?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
The demo car only had a rattle in the rear view vanity mirror. I figured the engine was a carryover from the previous gen so that's good to hear.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

When I went on the Mazda tour in Hiroshima this summer, they were punching out a poo poo ton of CX-30s and anniversary NDs on the same line.

Really happy with the '20 Mazda3 hatch so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Radar cruise keeps disabling on ours on the highway when it gets covered with snow. Kind of annoying to have the cluster flashing an error screen for a few hours drive, and you can't do "dumb cruise" while the radar mode is not working.