Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
Picked up my shiny new mazda 3 G25 evolve at the start of April but wanted to give it a bit of time before I posted about it. Stepping out of a MY10 3 sportsmaxx its been a bit of a breath of fresh air cause the cabin and driving position is so much more comfortable than the old one.
Only real complaints are the fuel needle doesn't always move in a linear fashion and on one tank it didn't move for the first 350Km's but seems to be ok now and the other is with the auto box it doesn't seem to know exactly which gear to sit in when doing 80 km/h. It seems to pick a higher gear every time and is a little sluggish to pick up when you want to overtake slower traffic which wouldn't be a massive deal expect that 50% of my commute to work is spent at 80 km/h and the trip home is uphill the whole way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010

Franco Caution posted:

For some reason I don't see too many Soul Red CX-30s driving around. Always seem to see blue. That's looks awesome! Congrats!

the red paint is nice in the flesh but not $500 AUD nice. When I got my 3 12 months ago I ended up getting the dark blue cause it was the nicest colour that didn't cost more

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010

kefkafloyd posted:

Weird that it costs less in AUD than USD. Both Soul Red and Machine Grey are $595 USD charges. I’m not sure why Machine Grey has an upcharge—it's fine as far as dark grays go. AFAIK it doesn’t have a special paint process like Soul Red. There's a ton of allocations for them though, so maybe it's just Mazda's way to secure more money.

Of all the CX-30s in the Northeast US at the moment (in transit or inventory), the ratio for red seems to be 1 out of 8 overall. But when it comes to the higher trim models red seems rarer.

Deep Crystal Blue was my second choice. I just can’t buy a white/grey/black car; I need an actual color.

Yeah, I’ve been looking into PPF for the front end and hood.

That’d be closer to $800 here if it was a direct comparison. I see plenty of red ones over here and since they took most of the badging off their models it’s hard to tell the trim level outside of the size of the wheels.
Having had my 3 for a full year now I really like it apart from the auto high beams and the low battery warning starting super early when I’m cleaning it. I thought at one point it was not happy to sit at 80km/h but that turns out to be because it chucks itself in 6th which is the very bottom of the gear when driving up hill which is 90% of my commute home in the afternoons

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
Frequently for me they are the worst as they switch on and off like a strobe on the road I drive and I am aware that I can turn them off but shouldn't really have to. My girlfriend drove my car just before christmas and didn't know how to turn them off till she picked me up and she didn't like the experience at all. The beam also seems to be narrower than the standalone high beam bulbs on my old 3.

A mate did today diagnose the low battery level problem and its very much to do with how much power the dash and everything else behaves when the key is present in the car. Most modern cars draw 250W just sitting if it senses the key and while I set of the low battery warning yesterday when I cleaned the inside I didn't today when I washed it but the key was inside and well away from the car which it wasn't yesterday. Half prepped it for Australian winter as well which is basically just making sure it has a coat of polish on the paint and rainx on all of the glass that isn't the windscreen cause that apparently fucks up the auto wipers. Plenty of stone chips are starting to emerge though thankfully most are on the front bumpers down low and the polish will help to seal in the others that are on the bonnet

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
I had a 2010 model that I got up to 231K kms without any issues engine wise. I know it’s the pre skyactiv engine but the engine seems to be robust

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
My 2021 non turbo model has been fine but then again they don't sell the turbo here for whatever reason

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010

Richter Scabies posted:

Took delivery of a 2023 mazda3 carbon ed this past weekend. While the cylinder deactivation in these non turbo engines gives me some trepidation re: reliability, I am trying not to worry too much (Mazda's application seems decent) and overall am enjoying it.

I have however noticed that when I take my foot off the break before giving it throttle, I feel a bit of vibration. Not sure if it's from the pedal or engine or what. Usually felt when I'm trying to creep up in traffic or at a stop from idle. Any thoughts?

My 2021 mazda 3 has done that since I got it. It seems when the engine kicks back in and the skyactiv deactivates it can confuse the car a little. Biggest issue I've had with it is having the pedal depressed enough for the car to not move, the skyactiv kicks in and then doesn't quite register me getting off the brakes as I go to move. Solved by being aware enough of pedal pressure when it does happen though.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010

Richter Scabies posted:

That's good(?) to hear that it seems to just be a skyactive quirk, thanks much. As an aside, I had pined for the turbo for a long time, but honestly I've been pretty happy with the pull of the NA 2.5.

I'm sure if I mentioned it to mazda during a service they'd hand wave it away much like the low battery warning that would happen cause they'd leave the key fob in the car all day which puts the car into active mode where it thinks it's about to start which drains the battery quickly buy never enough for it to not start ime.

Yeah I went with the 2.5 after being in a 2.0 and I love the extra power in my big long trip up a hill in the afternoon. The only real quirk is that it likes to put itself in 6th gear and takes a little bit to kick down a gear. In saying that though it gets 600km or so to a tank and sits at 6.5L/100kms which is less than mazda claims and less than my old mazda 3.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
does help massively that my trip to work is a 1000m decent which gives me like 4.2L/100 and the trip home is the reverse at 8.2L/100

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
Discovered at my last service that I'll be up for a new set of rear pads for my 2021 Mazda 3 with less than 80K kms on the clock. I'd like to say its the downhill commute to get to work but I have a feeling it has far more to do with Mazdas proportional breaking system with never seems to pull the car up with as much stopping power as it should. Its legit the only thing I really don't like about the car because it leaves the brakes feeling mushy at the best of times and not working at their optimal. I miss the days of mash the pedal and the car stops but mazda deems that unnecessary in this day and age.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
It took me a minute to figure out why people were complaining about their right leg touching the center console but then realized you guys drive on the other side of the car. I’m 6’6” but fit well enough into a 3. There’s only about 2 inches of space behind me though so I think it’d be difficult for anyone to sit behind me.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
I don't mind the newer fobs. What does annoy me is it occasionally ends up behind my wallet in my pocket and then the car has a spaz cause it can't detect the key.

Had to get 2 tires replaced on my 3 today after I took a flap out of the sidewall of one of them. Thankfully I was able to find somewhere kinda close that had the Toyo R51A's that the car came fitted with. They lasted 80K Kms which isn't too bad at all. Set me back nearly 600 for the pair though which is not so nice but at least it's sorted before a long drive on monday

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010

Volguus posted:

My wife today took the CX-5 to the dealer to change the oil (no, I do not know, have the tools or the space to do that). I, as always, told her to just say no to whatever they're trying to sell her. She, like a good wife, did just that. It turns out that they recommended replacing the rear brake pads, since the current ones have 4mm left.
How long can she drive with them? Those have to be changed, of course, sooner than later, but I wonder how much should we hurry.

I got told mine would need replacing at the last service and they were 4.5mm from memory. 3mm is the change over threshold but it seems that the current gen mazdas chew through rear pads cause on my old car at the same km's they still had 6mm left.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
Nah in the current gen its a single button rather than a knob. Might be worth checking in the settings to see if somethings gone wrong in there. A reset to factory from the same menu may also fix it. One thing I've noticed with mine recently is the proximity locking function has become inconsistent in that sometimes it works and othertimes it doesn't. Doesn't seem to matter if the key is in my hand either it just won't lock. It's going in for a service on Friday so I'll mention it to them and see if they can fix it.