Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Mine developed a leak from the timing cover in that general region IIRC while it was under warranty.

Don't sell yours. I miss mine dearly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

I'd also be looking for boost leaks, check all your intake plumbing.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Rhyno posted:

I gave my records to the buyer but I think I had them do it before the deadline.

I kind of miss that car.

I'm a broken record but I really miss my MS3. First gens were so understated and clean looking. Completely unmolested. Bonkers as hell to drive.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

dissss posted:

Same. Especially once I saw what the next owner did to it.

Luckily I didn’t sell mine to anyone local. But I fully assume the worst. According to carfax it’s on its third owner after me and has 145k on it now. Sold it with 50k. At least it’s still out there I guess.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Cat Pancakes posted:

Anyone have any strong opinions of oil restrictor bolts and catch cans on stock engine cars? Got a project MS3, doing a bunch of suspension work to it, plus the rear motor mount, it clunks sometimes if you start too abruptly from a stop, plus lol torque steer. It doesn't seem to smoke but I would also like to preserve my non smoking turbo, and keep my valves from being a nightmare

No input but pics/details please

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Hell yes. Drive and enjoy the heck out of it.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

MetaJew posted:

Was the car in an accident or are these replacement headlights? My 2009 MS3 GT has black (not chrome) headlights.

Yeah those are definitely aftermarket headlights.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Charles posted:

Is Mazda the only manufacturer to go back and update old models to have support? Subaru can't or won't do it.

Actually, Kia did do a free update for some of their Uvo systems.

Ford did it too for Sync 3.

Can confirm the Mazda upgrade is easy, did it for a buddy on his CX-5.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Probably fine, but whenever I see an item starting with "For" I fully assume it's a knock off in some capacity. Or gray market or something weird.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

air- posted:

The gently caress, do people really just not keep up with oil changes? So far so good with Rotella T6 every 5k miles on my 08 MS3 at 145k, but about 70k on my current engine (lost the first cuz of hydrolock)

That one looks like it came out of a CX-7 so yeah just neglect most likely. Horrible idea putting that engine in a CUV that most will treat as an appliance.

I had no idea about that heavy convoluted balance shaft assembly, that's wild.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

SkyeAuroline posted:

Oil is even harder to read on this godforsaken dipstick now. There must be some secret to this I'm just not seeing. :smith:

That's been my experience with drat near every modern dipstick. I don't get it, it's a solved problem, none of the older cars I've owned have been difficult to read.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

eddiewalker posted:

Hold it up to the light and spin it until you can see the “bump” of the actual oil level? I can get a pretty easy read off the edge.

That's my general approach, but I feel like my past few cars have had dipstick tubes with too many twists and turns so the level ends up getting dragged upwards as you pull the dipstick out.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

MetaJew posted:

Hey fellow Mazda South pal.

They just scratched the poo poo out of my roof!

That poo poo definitely happened during a careless wash by somebody paid minimum wage who doesn't give a gently caress. Been there done that. I make it drat clear if/when I take my cars to the dealer that I don't want their idiot kids washing it.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Rhyno posted:

I saw a black Speed6 today and I couldnt turn around in time to catch up with them but I really wonder if it was mine and also I'm dumb enough to try and buy it back.

If I saw my MS3 I would 100% try to also. According to Carfax it’s still local-ish with 180k+

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

When I helped my buddy with his CX5 I remember having to reach behind the USB hub with a long flathead and twist to snap the clips off, was the fastest way and didn't matter if you break it since it's getting replaced anyway.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

MetaJew posted:

Speaking of wheels: I still have my 1st gen MS3 wheels in my shed. Do these things have any resale value? What sort of price would they go for in near perfect condition?

I bet at this point they are rare enough you could do pretty well selling them to somebody looking to un-Monster their MS3.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

If I could buy my Speed3 back in the condition I sold it in, I would in a heartbeat. I did check recently and it's still on the road with nearly 200k on it (sold it with 50k) so that makes me happy at least.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Aexo posted:

My shifter suddenly feels a lot more resistant to movement. Like even with the car off and the shifter in the neutral position, pulling it over to still in neutral but below 1st / above 2nd, it stops, needing more force to get past something stopping it.

Driving today I went to put it in 4th, which should just be straight down, it felt like there was something blocking it that I had to push past to actually drop it into gear.

I guess I could take the leather cover thing off and make sure nothing's in there, but it feels like it's a shifter problem and not a transmission thing since it does it even when off, and it was fine yesterday so I'm just confused and not sure how to properly Google my issue.

Don't know what car you have but this sounds a lot like what my 08 MS3 was doing before this happened. So uhh...don't let this happen is my advice.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Racing Stripe posted:

I bought a 2017 Mazda3 back in 2019 and I decided it was going to be the first car that I really stay on top of the maintenance for. Now, every 5-6K miles I take it to the dealership and let them do whatever they say is necessary. I feel a little bit like a sucker doing this,

You are indeed a sucker if you are blindly letting the dealer sell you whatever they want. Do what it says in your schedule and nothing more.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

They want to replace the whole axle because it's simpler than loving with a boot/grease and it makes them more money.

Axles do not need to be replaced periodically, no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Racing Stripe posted:

What should someone who doesn't want to be a sucker do in the following scenario? I go in for the 110,000 mile service and they perform that service, but they also say that the brake fluid needs to be changed. Do I say "that's somewhere on the service schedule, and I'll get it done when the Mazda service schedule says I'm due"? That seems easy enough if that's the solution.

But what about when they send me the video that the mechanic records of the undercarriage, and he points to the CV boots and says they're leaking, and I can see from the video that this appears to be the case. Are you saying that this isn't on the service schedule, therefore I should get it done somewhere else? I'm not trying to poke holes in your advice, but sometimes something that isn't on the schedule does actually need to be fixed. What should I do in that situation?

I'm speaking to regular maintenance. Follow the schedule in your owner's manual because dealers love to come up with their own "recommended maintenance" schedule that surprise will end up costing you tons more than if you just followed the manufacturer's recommendations. Yes, if they try to sell you something that's not due, say so. Don't be a doormat.

Of course when something breaks like your CV boot it won't be in the maintenance schedule. This is not maintenance, but a repair.

opengl fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Feb 7, 2024