Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
So is this thread just for Mazdaspeed folk or can us naturally aspirated chums get in on it too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
I just bought a 2011 MZ3 S Sport hatchback two weeks ago in gunmetal blue. It's quite a change from my previous car, which was a red Firebird.

Most of the Mazda forums are pretty stupid, though Mazda3Revolution at least has all of their how to/mod guides in one convenient place without a lot of broken links. Thinking about putting the LED light strips in the hatch area - compared to the puny stock bulb it's amazing how bright you can get it.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
It's only stick shift, has a very stiff suspension, and it gets worse mileage than similar "commuter cars." You'll likely never be able to wind up the car's power, either. Plus, it takes premium.

Doesn't mean it's not a wicked fun car, though.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
Japan's 1.3L for the 2/Demio is SkyActiv already. The 3's supposed to get it for this year, and the CX-5 is supposed to be out sometime Q2 2012. It's almost September and no peep on the 2012 3s... :(

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

CanuckBassist posted:

So I'm completely safe to use cool or hot air as long as the AC button is off? Sounds good!

There is a safety switch on the compressor that will shut it off if it reaches a certain temperature or does not have enough refrigerant. So you won't exactly grenade the compressor, that risk hasn't been around for years.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

MetaJew posted:

Jeeze. Could they add any more buttons to that steering wheel?

It's the same number of buttons that have been on the MZ3's wheel for a few years now. In practice, since they're flush to the wheel, you'll almost never accidentally hit them. The rocker switches also take a good amount of effort unlike a four-way, so you're also unlikely to hit one on accident.

The new shifter knob looks a lot nicer, how's it feel compared to a 2011? The one on the 2011 has this big plastic piece smack in the middle that just feels ultra cheap, even though the leather feel is good. The very minor interior updates really class it up. The less fake silver in there, the better.

It also looks like that specimen in the showroom is that new Dolphin Gray color that replaced the very cool gunmetal blue. How's it look in person? The pictures on Mazda's site not inspire confidence.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
The engine's computer will adjust the timing to compensate. You won't get as good power and gas mileage, but the car will be drivable.

The advice about high-octane race fuel is a good one, you could also dump in a can of octane booster for the one tank.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
I see so few Gunmental hatches that whenever I do see one I see them more as a member of an exclusive club. There's room enough for all fellow Mazda enthusiasts.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
The drawback of the electro-hydraulic is that it places quite the load on the system at low speeds. Watch your lights dim and hear your fans slow down as you maneuver into a parking spot.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
If it is, I'm totally getting one.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
So they fixed the front end and then made the back look like... that?

That back hatch really cuts back on the cargo volume, I bet.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

B!G_$W@NG@ posted:

Thanks for all the help from a long while back guys, it was much appreciated. Still think this is the best looking hatch on the road, bar none. Starting to get annoyed that I can't use my headlights during the day *and* be able to see my gauges on the dash, but I have always been demanding like that.

You know you can push in the headlight dimming knob and it'll turn off the dimming, right? It's right next to the speedo, you normally turn it to adjust the dimming.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
It needs some kind of rocker panel extensions. The ones on the S-model 2010-2013 3s are subtle but really make the car look nicer in profile.

The current Kodo design is awesome, though. It looks great on pretty much any vehicle, which is a testament to how well designed it was. The Nagare look only worked on the RX-8.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
There's no ground isolation on the aux input, so be careful if you plug it into a charger at the same time.

I can get 32 MPG on highway driving in my 3 hatchback if I stick the cruise at 70 and there's not too many hills to deal with. But most of the time it winds up in the 29 area with any real elevation changes.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

trouser chili posted:

There is actually a TSB about that for my Mazda5. The TSB informs the service dept to relay to the customer that if the noise bothers them, to either charge the phone or listen to music through it, but not both at the same time.

Yeah, which is bullshit. I never had the problem on my iPhones (different circuitry) but my old video iPod was awful. The ground loop could be easily fixed (make the power and aux not share a common ground) but that would cost your favorite local mazda dealer a half an hour worth of time and a dollar's worth of parts. It's very anti-customer.

quote:

I'm thinking of picking up a 2014 Mazda 3 fully loaded. Am I an idiot for spending this much on a car with a ~15k base price?

Nope, it's a very rad car, though I would rather spend the money on a Mazda 6 if I didn't want/need/like hatchbacks. 25K on the Mazda 6 buys you a lot of car, and 30K even moreso.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
The CX-5 was the first release of Mazda's new tech stuff, which was refined in the Mazda 6 and by all accounts is well done in the new 3. Most of the reviews I've seen point out how the 3 addresses flaws in the current 6. One of the drawbacks of being an early adopter, I suppose.

When the 6 and CX-5 get the diesels, I would presume they would get the tech updates as well, but that's just me guessing.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
Congrats on your new car! This got me looking at what Mazda is doing for the new 3s, since i haven't checked on them in a while.

The prices on the 3 versus the 6 are so drat close. If I was looking at sedans, it would be a tough choice to go with the smaller 3 versus a 6 when the $25K 6 has a lot of features.

Yes, the 6 with all the options costs more than a 3 with all the options, but comparing two $25K cars is very, very close. It would be a very tough call for me considering that the 3 doesn't get much better mileage than the 6.

Now, the hatchback is a different story, since you can't get a 6 wagon. But I would be willing to lose HID headlights to be in a bigger, more comfortable car.

kefkafloyd fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Feb 27, 2014

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

A Proper Uppercut posted:

I also had this same problem. I was looking pretty hard at the 6 also, because, as you said, the prices are pretty similar. What it came down to for me is a couple things. One, is that after driving the 3, I realized it has all the room I need for me personally. Also, the infotainment on the 6 is a different unit than the 3 and from what I've heard it's really, really buggy, and it's been out longer than the 3. The 3's is also a bit buggy, but it's being updated regularly. Basically it came down to a bunch of small things, it was a tough choice.

My understanding is that the 3's infotainment will be in the 2015 6s/CX-5s.

quote:

What's the major difference between the S touring and S grand touring? The dealerships near me only stock the S grand touring (the S touring I was eyeing just got sold last weekend..) and while I'm a sucker for fancy toys (heads up display for example), I don't know the extra 1-2 thousand might be worth it. Additionally, is the heads up display and other S trim features even worth it or would I somewhat better off with the I trim with infotainment package + loss of horse power? Lastly, any opinions/recommendations in general about the new Mazdas for a new driver or any sort of beaters I should look into first? Money isn't exactly a problem but I'd like to save up as well.

Do you care about the moonroof / energy saving iELOOP (what a dumb name) / radar cruise control? Otherwise, don't bother.

If you don't care about power/speed, an I grand touring might be more affordable while still having the gizmos.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
My 3 is in need of its first set of new tires. Not right now, but soonish. The tire size for these cars (205/50R17) has so many more options than what I'm used to that I'm a bit lost. I'm used to cars that have oddball tire sizes with only a few options, so it was easy to find a good balance. My favorite local tire shop has over fifteen (!) different tires in the size.

What are the non-MS3 hatchback people getting for tires? I live in the northeast, so I need at least all seasons, and I'd prefer a good balance of treadwear and stickiness. It's a daily driver, not all-out performance, so that's the kind of thing I'm looking for.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
The Conti PureContact DWS seem to be the choice for price/performance given the suggestions here. I think those will be the ones I'll go for.

Summer tires are a no-go here, unfortunately.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
Yeah, I know the arguments. I used to run two sets of tires on my Trans Am (on their own sets of wheels). But given the risk of the freak storms we get up here, getting caught with summer tires in even a mild snow event is treacherous. Been there, done that. Even if I did get snow tires next year, my primary set would still be all-seasons. Even then, anything's got to be better than the Yokos that came with the car, which I can not think of a single good thing to say about them.

kefkafloyd fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Mar 25, 2014

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
Thanks to some idiot pushing their Durango into my bumper, they paid to have it repainted, which negated all the chips and stuff that developed on it in the three years I've had on this car.

There's a dumb little chip (doesn't go under the primer) on my passenger side front door that no one can really notice but I've never been good at doing touchup paint, and I fear that I'll just attract attention to it by trying to fix it.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
Four brand new tires on my 3 today. Thanks for whoever recommended the Continentals, the difference in noise versus the Yokos is astounding. The car is significantly quieter.

Also, gently caress the Yokos, seriously.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
Looks like Blue Reflex. Seems like a good successor to the old style Gunmetal Blue. It looks really sharp on that car.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

Nohearum posted:

I just wish Mazda had considered front license plates when designing the new 3 and 6. Most cars look bad with front plates, but I think the new 3 and 6 look exceptionally awkward.

The 6 doesn't look as bad, because the plate goes inbetween the bottom air dam and the bottom of the grill. But on the 3, it has a serious case of bucktooth.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
Wish I could get away with that in Massachusetts. People get pulled over for license plate covers that obscure the "Spirit of America" text at the bottom of their plates.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

Stolennosferatu posted:

I'm ok with that. Some fuckers here have dirty plastic covers over their license plate. You can barely read it through that poo poo.

Yeah, those are terribad, but not quite what I'm referring to. I'm talking about the frame-type holders that aren't clear plastic covers. I should have said license plate frames.

I know people who cling to their old-style green plates for dear life to avoid having a front plate.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

B!G_$W@NG@ posted:

Anyone know the secret to replacing the rear wiper on a 2011 3 hatch? I don't want to risk snapping anything and I'm hoping a mazda part isn't necessary. A quick google yielded nada.

Mine just popped off when I replaced it. As far as I know there's no screws or anything that requires tools. I bought some third party wiper and it worked fine. Pop the trim piece off the end of the arm, then you just rotate the blade 90 degrees, pull it off, and you're done.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

B!G_$W@NG@ posted:

Cheers for the info, just kind of brainstorming since 35k on a set of tires seems really poor to me.

Were they the stockers or a replacement set? the stock Yokohamas are barely rated above 30K. Mine were showing wear bars right around 29K.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
You can tow with a Miata, right? :v:

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
The "spray some lysol in the vents" is a common trick for actual mold in there. I've had leaves get up in the cabin air filter, tons of them.

Nothing was worse than the mice that died in the firewall of my dad's RAV-4, though. I don't think I ever truly got the smell out of that car.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
Yeah, just pull out the filter and vacuum. If you live in a leafy or needle filled area you'll probably have to do this on a yearly basis. It can really get bad in there.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

HolyDukeNukem posted:

I'm glad to know what the engine is gonna look like in the new mazdaspeed

Gimme a Turbo Mazda6 and I'll be one happy clam.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
The 2.5 is a reasonable engine in terms of power in the cars it was applied to but its economy especially in traffic just can't hold a candle to the wave of GDI engines that came out around the same time (and now with the newer 2.5L Skyactiv block). I drive one, I like it, but I'd like a 2.5L skyactiv even more.

It can also be flashed/tuned pretty well but I never delved into that. Apparently Mazda left some performance on the table to keep it more separated from the MS3.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
My 2011 3S was perfect until someone pushed a stalled out Jeep Cherokee into the front end. Had to repaint my bumper for that.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
Has anyone had a problem on the 2010-2013 era 3s where the dashboard pad above the GPS/trip computer and radio displays has popped apart? My 2011 now has a pretty unsightly gap inbetween them now, and I think it just popped up out of nowhere in the past week. I've heard of melting dashboards on that era of car but has anyone had issues with cracks or just simply coming apart?

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS posted:

Oh! Before I forget, whoever else out there that has a 2010-2013 3 and the dash bubbled up and jacked up your info screen(s), they have done a "recall" and you can go get it fixed at your local dealer for free.

I was going to but now I'm working in West Texas and it was 114 yesterday sooo, might be a waste of time.

Yep, got that in the mail last week. No real idea what the fix is, hopefully they made the clips stronger and use better adhesive when attaching the new dash.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

MetaJew posted:

Unrelated, apparently I parked with a palindrome on both my odometer and trip odometer.

:golfclap: well done.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
Anyone put an aftermarket stereo into 2010-2013 3s? Which is the better pick between the Metra or Scosche? I don't like the photos I've seen of the Metra where they just inset it super far in (there's like an inch between the bottom of the stereo and the end of the opening) but it does have metal brackets.

Also, is underneath the third brake light the best area to wire in a backup camera on the hatchback?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
I just spent $700 at Town Fair Tire in NH (so that's without sales tax) to get 4 Continental PureContacts with alignment, balancing, etc etc. No road hazard either since their road hazard policy has gotten consistently worse unless you buy cheap tires.

There's a wide range of tires that would get you between $450-700 out-the-door depending on what brand you care about and whether you want all-seasons or summer tires. Is this for an MS3? Have you considered anything besides Yokos?