Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beat.
Nov 22, 2003

Hey, baby, wanna come up and see my etchings?
Yes its probably just acrylic or tempera paint with some kind of carbon based pigment. Either of those will still be a pain in the rear end to get out of your hair. Basically just a piece of preprimed canvas and some black paint with a nice label.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beat.
Nov 22, 2003

Dr. David PHD posted:

Looking for a glue that will effectively stick 2 pieces of card stock together with a relatively fast (1 minute or less) drying time. I have been using hot glue but I don't like the "strings" it leaves everywhere, I do like the fact that the 2 pieces are practically cemented together.

Or, alternatively, can someone suggest a way of using hot glue that won't leave strings?

I would use spray adhesive, they make it in different brands and strengths. Once you get the hang of it, its easy. Ventilated area only, though.

Beat.
Nov 22, 2003

I don't know what the specific materials you're working with will do. Probably wont do anything, but I'd just buy a small can and try it out.

I mean, you're asking how much rubber cement costs...

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=amazon+rubber+cement&l=1

C'mon man...

They both use solvents as their drying agents so whatever happens with one would happen with the other. Spray adhesive is actually very similar to rubber cement, just in a spray can.

Beat.
Nov 22, 2003

slowdave posted:

What is Mod Podge? Some kind of a glue? I'm not familiar with the brand and would like to know what it basically is.

Also, if anyone has any hot tips n' tricks for image transfers (inkjet onto wood and such) I'd be all ears.

Pretty sure Modpodge is just another animal based adhesive, like elmers or gorilla glue, but of higher quality. Depending on the look you're going for, you can use acrylic materials as an alternative - I think they're more durable and predictable, but a bit more expensive.

For image transfers, I usually just use hardware store grade acetone and a 'baren' like device... if you're going onto a rough surface, obviously sanding it will help your transfer. Consider sealing it in resin to make it look well crafted.

Beat.
Nov 22, 2003

Your best bet would probably be a library... but have a look at Simon Leach or Karen Karnes ceramics images online, they make nice casseroles with handles like that. Japanese teapots also have similar handles.

Beat.
Nov 22, 2003

The Worst Muslim posted:

I'm very sorry if this isn't the right place but I have looked everywhere for an appropriate thread and this is the closest I can find. I want to get rid of borders on a world map. It's a picture of a prediction of what the world will look like if the global temperature rises. I need some help in getting rid of the borders and place names.

Thanks in advance.

I have a larger version here as well:

http://www.mediafire.com/?uv2ww4jm9ah70wk

I'm sorry if this is against the rules.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=remove+borders+on+an+image+with+ms+paint

put your big kid shoes on. seriously.

Beat.
Nov 22, 2003

Toriori posted:

Thanks for the opinions folks. I emailed him today and told him we could hang tonight still but if not let me know and I would get the next artist to hang. He emailed back and we ended up hanging the art. He explained that he was filming a music video last night and it went late. That's all well and good but he didn't email me last night or today to let me know why he didn't show so it isn't really a valid excuse to me.
So from now on my rule will be if the artist doesn't show the night of without first informing me why, the replacement work will go up. If they contact me ASAP and give me a reasonable excuse we schedule another hanging.

This boils down to you setting clear expectations when you initially deal with people. If I were you, I would say there's a standby list, and if you don't show, I go to the next person on my list.

One of the ways you can really stand out as a creative person is to not be a flake. And for some people that's tough, and for some it's not, but the more reliable you are, the more successful you will be. There's really no excuse for bullshit - you want professional consideration? act like a professional.

And definitely keep track of every show you hang, that kind of experience has real value in the long run.

Beat.
Nov 22, 2003

Chernabog posted:

I need help to identify a painting from a description:

It was in the San Francisco museum of modern art. There was a man sitting on a couch, in a dark room, facing the camera. Behind him there was a window. You could see the sloped street and some cars outside.

http://www.sfmoma.org/explore/collection/painting_sculpture

c'mon. really.

Beat.
Nov 22, 2003

Actually it's on the first page on that link I just posted; you barely even have to scroll down.

Beat.
Nov 22, 2003

Jastiger posted:

I'm trying to make an image macro. The type where someone says something really poignant and they look all refined and stuff like that. I have no art skills and have downloaded GIMP. I have no idea what I'm doing. I can't even get the picture a bit bigger or get the text to appear on screen. Any help or direction to a good resource for a newbie like me would be great. Thanks a lot!

try google

Beat.
Nov 22, 2003

It is nonsense. Reflected light is reflected light - when it hits your retina, it's a translated into a color. The tone as it goes to shadow is a gradient of that color. Our eyes can pick that up fairly easily.

This is how I understand it. Granted I use traditional materials so I may be off-base on the computer related poo poo but I'll give it a whack.

There are a few things going on here. Just looking at your sketch I can see that you have issues with accuracy, tone, and color, and you need to understand all three.

People telling you to mix with colors not black, that's mostly a throwback to people who use traditional materials. If I have a pigment like vermillion or cadmium red, both very different but intense reds, and mix a carbon based black ("ivory black") into them they won't darken, they'll go brown. I can mix other pigments in gradient to change tone and they won't go as brown.

The other side of this is people will tell you to use blues for shaded areas. This is for a few reasons - because the complimentary colors will help your highlights pop, and it will also bring down the tonal range that you employ. What you're doing wrong on that count is starting with a ball that's completely red. You want reds for the highlights, blues for the deep shadows, and something in-between for the gradients. And that's something you just have to work with and get used to until it "looks right." Actually doing it is the only way you will learn.

What you really need to watch out for with computers is your tone accuracy. You CAN use black/greys to shade a color but black is something we very rarely experience as visual creatures. Beginners tend to overcompensate with black way too much.

My serious feedback is that you're putting the cart before the horse. Work on line and tone and forget about color for a year. Be able to knock out a shaded circle/square/triangle volume without even thinking about it. The color work will be a lot easier if your understanding and employment of line and tone are solid.

Beat.
Nov 22, 2003

nas1234567890 posted:

Thanks to everyone that answered my question.

Line and tone are something that I had to work on a lot in high school, so I don't think that's the problem. I don't particularly remember any of my high school art teachers going over shading in color in any sort of depth at all, so that's probably part of the problem. I wasn't really focused on making a perfect circle with neat shading at the time when I made that image, I just needed feedback on shading in color. I think it definitely helps now that I've got a different perspective on it now that everyone here has helped. I'll keep working on it.

I know what you mean. I've been developing my style personally since high school,

Beat.
Nov 22, 2003

anaaki posted:

If I wanted to oil paint in my apartment, how would I handle the disposal of chemicals? (I plan to mainly use odorless mineral spirits for thinning)

Talking broad strokes you dont really dispose of paint thinner, turps or any solvents - you store them in appropriate containers for re-use. The paint settles out pretty quickly. I use a large glass container to wash my brushes and a small container just for turps that I paint with.

Also speaking generally, using mineral spirits for pain thinning will distort color a lot more than using better mediums like refined turps. You can use almost anything to clean your brushes, but the solvent you use to lay down paint will impact color and cracking. You don't see it immediately, but in 6-12 months you will. Do an example for yourself, take a piece of gessoed board, and with whatever paint you use lay down some paint on its own, using mineral spirits, or refined turps. Stick it in a dark closet for 6 months.

Beat.
Nov 22, 2003

As far as the mineral spirits thing, it depends on how anal you are about materials. They'll do the same thing while you're painting, it just affects aging, as will buying lovely paint with a lot of fillers that are low quality. You're gonna pollute the earth no matter what. That's just the nature of the business. I usually threw away rags in a metal container stored outside, but I used paper towels. I'd keep pets away from any of it, more for the mess factor than anything.

You might also want to invest in a HEPA filter, they are pretty cheap and really nice if you are working indoors. Will also cut down on dust in your paint.

Beat.
Nov 22, 2003

pipes! posted:

Excel or Illustrator if you're feeling fancy. Maybe Chartwell?

Once in awhile reading through here I stumble upon something really helpful, I got Chartwell last week and it literally blows my mind how easy it is to use, and how good it makes things look.

Beat.
Nov 22, 2003

The Worst Muslim posted:

We're writing up slips to give out to employees on their misconduct. Say for example they slip up and we need to issue them this slip of paper. However, we are having trouble finding good words. What's a good office-y synonym for;

Issue: This is the reason why we are punishing you, dummy

Conclusion: This is what we are going to do to your sorry rear end to punish you.

So please help me out, what are good office friendly words for Issue and Conclusion.

Here, check this out I have the perfect link for you, http://bit.ly/QBhcFo

Here's another if that doesnt work... http://bit.ly/QBhnk0

Beat.
Nov 22, 2003

party hat posted:

I really hope I can get an answer here!

I'm preparing a shadow box for my boyfriend but I'm not quite sure how to secure a couple of items. When his two dogs died, he got clay imprints of their paw done and he really cherishes them. I need a way to secure them in the box for hanging without causing damage to the clay should we take them out for whatever reason. Im not sure if theres any adhesives that will safely come off of clay, but still hold firm. Any ideas? Pleeease?

Thanks in advance!

What I would do is make plaster casts of the clay imprints, because plaster is easier to work with for what you're talking about. Shouldn't affect the clay at all (you could test a small area just to be sure, or use the same kind of clay... if the clay has already been fired, just put a release agent on there and then wipe it off afterwards..actually you may want to put a release agent on it anyway just to ease the process). The problem, which I'm sure you're aware, is that not a lot of stuff sticks well to clay, and I can't think of anything that will stick and then release. So, you'd be stuck making some kind of fastening/support system for them which would be easy enough with L brackets or something, but if you just make a plaster negative and positive of the pieces, you can store the originals somewhere safe and not worry. Plus with plaster you can put drat near any adhesive on it and it will work fine, and it's cheap. If you google making plaster molds from a clay positive, you'll get several instructions on how to do it. Very easy. Have a look if it looks like something you'd be interested in you can post more questions here if you have them.

Beat.
Nov 22, 2003

you could put them on a wood table top and just pour resin over them, that would be bad rear end

Beat.
Nov 22, 2003

DownItGoes posted:

I've recently had the idea to sculpt a large bust and then to paint it when its complete. I've also never made a bust before so I'm not really sure how to go about doing it.
Like, what kind of clay should I use and how can I get it hardened once its done?
Would acryllic paints work best once I'm ready to paint it?

If you dont have access to a kiln, I would use plaster of paris instead, primed after you sculpt. Just google it and see what kind of options are out there, quite a few both reductive and additive... It's easily accessible and much cheaper than things like baking clay. I think its more intuitive for beginners, too, but a little messy.

Beat.
Nov 22, 2003

I don't think there is really a more relevant thread for this, but if there is I will move it. Working on a research project and I would be interested in hearing anyone's comments about this diagram. There are two "general" axes, on the top and bottom, just to illustrate a few points.

Beat.
Nov 22, 2003

Yip Yips posted:

I'm far from an authority on the subject but I would think that the left side has more flexibility/adaptability. I also wonder exactly what "social relevancy" means when referring to art.

The less/more is flipped on the top, so you're right on track there. But I need to change it a bit so that's more clear, I think. Thanks.

Perceived social relevancy is simply the idea that certain cultural institutions (for example, NY MOMA) are looked upon by many (not just critics, curators, and artworld movers and shakers, but regular visitors and people who don't really participate actively in the artworld) as a kind of cultural gatekeeper, "if it's in the MOMA, there must be something to it." That kind of idea. It's not defining anything as actually relevant or not; that would just boil down to a nihilistic argument. If anything I would say looking at it in terms of economics, laws, and financial transactions would be a (while simplistic) easier view to take.

The one thing I did forget were art fairs, but one can just assume they'd be another circle in the diagram.

Yip Yips posted:

That's true, that type of graph is normally used to highlight the overlaps between the different sectors. It really doesn't do that at all here and just makes it needlessly complex.

I didn't really title it properly. Basically those are every element of artworld infrastructure that I can think of. They operate semi-autonomously but are connected to each other at some level or another.

There is a big long paper that goes along with this, I'm just not going to post that here because I don't think it's the right audience... if I need to make this diagram simpler, I'll figure out a way to do it.

Beat.
Nov 22, 2003

Toadstrieb posted:

Does anyone know a good, like top-of-the-line-this-will-last-forever fixative for things besides paper? I'm trying to get a matte white zippo lighter autographed, and then I was hoping to pretty much bring it into daily use, but I don't want the autograph to smudge/blur. Sees to me that this would happen irrigardless of the type of ink used. Could I spray such an object with some kind of coating? If so, what kind? How many coats? I understand that any answer is speculative, but I have no idea about this stuff, so.

Epoxy or a simpler resin, that's about it. Or put a piece of clear packaging tape over it. If you haven't done anything with epoxies practicing on something unimportant is probably a good idea.

Beat.
Nov 22, 2003

NESguerilla posted:

I have really been wanting to do some mixed media stuff incorporating photo transfer (most likely on wood/board, I don't care to work on canvas much) and have had mostly bad results. I've tried gel medium, which makes a nice image, but is pretty hard to work on top of/get's destroyed or poorly transferred really easily, plus getting all of the paper off is insanely tedious. I have also tried blender markers, which are much easier and more workable, but create much crappier images and end up being insanely expensive really quick. Is there a better way to do this or should I just give up on the idea of mixing ink and photo transfers ?

Edit: Also, packing tape but that obviously doesn't work well for what I'm trying to do.

I was into this for a hot minute, this is what I learned.

You can use acetone or any cheap hardware store solvent, some are more toxic than others... I used to just brush it on with a cheap, natural fiber brush and then apply pressure to the back of the paper. Though if youre trying to do it straght off photos you might get mixed results, you might have better results scanning your original and printing high quality color laser onto regular paper, as it transfers much more easily. We have a really old school workhorse laser printer at my work, as well as a really new fancy ($100k plus) copier/printer that does great color reproduction, I have had interesting results with both. The old one transfers b&w images a lot crisper, the color one seems to bond with the paper better so the transfers arent as clean, which might be fine depending on what you want to do.

Gel medium is nice but it gets expensive, I have a hard time justifying the price of good acrylics when I'm just loving around. I have noticed a big difference between the cheap dick-blick type acrylics and golden/speedball/etc.

With solvents you want to wear a respirator, gloves, and especially eye protection. People often forget eye protection but a lot gets in through your eyes and it will gently caress with you over time.

There are also nontoxic solvents, though they tend to be more expensive than what you can get at the hardware store, you may get interesting results you like better.

If you dont care about dying before you're 40 you might also enjoy finishing them off with resin. Resin is loving awesome, but I stopped using it because its so nasty to work with.

Beat.
Nov 22, 2003

Shnooks posted:

Ummm so apparently I applied to a show a couple of months ago, got accepted, and can't afford to pay for the registration fee and to ship my work.

Is there a polite or appropriate way to tell the gallery this?

NESguerilla posted:

If they are charging you a registration fee I wouldn't even bother because that's bullshit.

Yes... scam. Stay away.

Rule of thumb is you pay shipping to, they pay shipping from. Most decent shows have some kind of negligible ($10-20) app fee to keep every random person from submitting work.

Beat.
Nov 22, 2003

Actually they make solvent based acrylic markers that work really well. There are a ton, people use them for tagging. Moltow is a good brand but any graff/paint shop will have 4 or 5 brands you can try.

I'm definitely going to use the word "parlous" next time I update my online dating profile. Holy poo poo.

Beat.
Nov 22, 2003

titanium posted:

So this site is using a photo I took without my permission, what do I do to get compensated for it? It's the background one they over sized, I'm guessing they took it off my tumblr page.

http://www.fastcompany.com/tag/soundexchange

I'd get a printout of the website notarized and then just find out who you need to send the invoices to - one for prior unauthorized use up to this point (more expensive) and one for use in the future (cheaper).

Beat.
Nov 22, 2003

signalnoise posted:

Can someone give me a quick breakdown comparing Montana Gold to Montana Black to Montana White spraypaints? I'm painting plastic models with them. I have tried Gold so far and it's been pretty cool, doesn't hide too much detail, but Black is cheaper. I want to make sure I am not obscuring detail, and Black's description says it puts out more paint over the same amount of time. Do I need to just keep using Gold? Can I use white?

spray paint is basically just acrylic paint and a cheap synthetic glue like superglue suspended in a petroleum based solvent

the only real difference is the amount of pigment you purchase, the rest is basically just marketing - if you want to get really anal about paint you should purchase a cheap airbrush and get some high quality acrylics - less toxic, more bang for your buck, better color control, better quality especially if you're doing something small like models

your lack of control of the paint can is much more likely to give you variation in results than the differences in brand label on one of the more premium brands like montana, spanish montana, moltow, etc... the whole branding/graffiti lifestyle thing spray paint companies do is really retarded, serving a retarded demographic with retarded products for retarded purposes - totally not a street art hater here, I love it, just dont buy into any of the hype

Beat.
Nov 22, 2003

poeticoddity posted:

Hopefully I didn't just miss it like a colossal idiot, but is there somewhere in CC or DIY & Hobbies to ask questions about and get feedback regarding jewelry? All I've been able to find is an A/T thread that doesn't look like what I'm looking for.

you would probably have better luck getting feedback at a community center or college that offers jewelry classes, if you're looking to grow really

this place is mostly creative writing and digital art type stuff, the people that get into the hands on are advanced hobbyists, I rarely/never see posts in the realm of "craft" that look like anyone on the level of the more serious artists I know... once in awhile a more advanced undergrad or something like that - it depends, of course, on what you're looking for

Beat.
Nov 22, 2003

signalnoise posted:

Can you give me some suggestions for high quality airbrush paints that have really vivid colors like some of the "graffiti" spraypaints have? I mean, I have an airbrush, I have the whole Minitaire line, some Vallejo Model Air metallics, and some Reaper stuff (which I don't like airbrushing with because gently caress thinning). None of them come out with the brightness that I see with the spraypaint. Should I just not be looking at miniatures paints, and look more into like... Createx I guess has some flourescents.

If I had my preference I would just get the spraypaint, shoot it into an airbrush cup, maybe mix in some airbrush thinner, and go with that, but from what you're saying the composition of spraypaint is, sounds like it would seriously gently caress up my airbrush. I tried putting spraypaint in a paint marker but I didn't know at the time that the paint contains propellant even after you spray it and that didn't work out so well.

Basically what I want is those "graffiti" colors through my airbrush I suppose. Any suggestions?

Golden acrylics make a shitload of paint. I dont know, that and speedball is what most people I know use.

I'd try experimenting with a base coat of gesso/primer near your color and some of colors they offer. I havent had bad luck with them. Or just stick with spraypaint if it works for you... all that stuff gets expensive pretty quick.

Beat.
Nov 22, 2003

signalnoise posted:

I think I came up with my solution. I am just going to buy 100% cyan, magenta, yellow, and black paints, and use photoshop to extract the CMYK percentages of whatever color I want to use and mix it myself. It'll probably be a huge pain in the rear end but better than decanting spraypaint. Thank you for your advice though!

yes, its a pain in the rear end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beat.
Nov 22, 2003

neonnoodle posted:

You can get acrylic gel media that are flexible and carveable after they set. They can be colored with acrylic paint and layered infinitely. Seriously don't go messing with wax when space age polymers exist to do just this with less frustration.

talking in broad strokes, I personally think encaustic looks a lot better - I can spot acrylic work a mile away even when it uses fancy mediums to mimic other kinds of work

I know it's personal preference but I'm definitely not unique, and on the process side I know a few artists who are really attached to the encaustic process for lots of legit reasons that "space age polymers" simply are not - so its completely subjective