Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

The_Doctor posted:

The Hammond Collection is doing great dinos, but terrible figures. The 6” Amber Collection humans were mostly good, but no one was buying them?

The Amber Collection was alright, but it suffered from the scale meaning they could never do the larger dinosaurs in a reasonable price/size for most collectors. It makes sense that they scrapped it with those in constraints in mind. That said, for 6-inch, the likenesses were still pretty muddy.

The Hammond Collection is exactly the right idea for a JP collectors line, but yes, the humans suffer even more at that scale from weird proportions and even worse likenesses. Compared to the Star Wars Vintage Collection, for example, they look awful.

That said, personally, I don't find the dinosaurs much better. They suffer from really bad QC, and the paintwork is often as cheap as possible, even when in promotional shots that isn't the case at all. Further, a lot of the sculpting is just inaccurate and bizarre. The Raptors for example, which you'd think would be so easy to get right and then subsequently release every variant of, don't actually look anything like the film models. This is fine in a toy line, but not one aimed at collectors.

Here's the original Hammond Collection Raptor, with massive feet and an inaccurate headsculpt.

Here is a fan mod with a replacement head and feet.

I just wish the company could get closer to that with the base figure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Kingtheninja posted:

Really banking on this star wars haslab being something cool, it's really bumming me out I'm giving up my chance at a wild Bill figure for an unknown thing.

It's pretty much confirmed to be a Vintage Collection scale Ghost isn't it?

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Der-Wreck posted:

I really want to get the ReAction They Live GID figs because they have one of the best cards.

Though I don’t want to spend $30 CAD each for them.

I will say that whilst these are loving great I have heard reports of Super7's GITD paint not having a great shelf life. Throw it onto the pile of problems Super7 has.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

The Last Call posted:

Has it impacted any other line/toys? Has anyone experienced anything really bad.

The new Magma Droid from the Black Series has the cheapest plastic I've ever felt on a figure. It's so soft and rubbery that he might as well be a bendy fig. Can't stand because of it either.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

The_Doctor posted:

Hilariously, Super7 TMNT Ultimates have been showing up at the UK equivalent of Ollie’s for £20 in the last couple of months.

Where is this?

EDIT; Sorry, just seen above. Guess I'm going to B&M tomorrow.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

I wonder how easy it would be to mod this into being a ZSJL Wonder Woman. I have that figure and it's just alright.

Do most of Todd's stuff use similar joints or?

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Joe Fisto posted:

Appreciated. It looks like she is sold out everywhere but Entertainment Earth right now.

They're all fairly similar, but I can't say for certain.

I don't know what the secondary market prices are, but the ZS WW Todd already released was nice.

I wasn't clear about what I meant. I already have the ZS WW from Todd, but it's legs are really badly sculpted and basically look like sausages, so I'm wondering how easy it would be to use the legs and arms from this as a base to modding that fig. Would be alot of dremelling and fixing seems but if the joints are at least similar that's a big win.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Joe Fisto posted:

HISS shipping notice!

Mine got delivered today in the UK. (except I can no longer really afford to keep it so it's going up on ebay ASAP) :(

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Joe Fisto posted:

Do you get a chance to zoom zoom it first?

Nah, I think it'll go unopened. I'm getting the Lego Natural History Museum as a Christmas present though so that makes me feel better about the lack of zoom zoom.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

CelticPredator posted:

It’s shocking how awful ML are.

This is interesting, because I feel the same way about Black Series.

It's a constant disappointed of shoddy sculpts, inaccurate molds (even brand new ones) and odd choices that make a figure/pack much less desirable.

I feel like the Star Wars team are awful at their jobs. (though I hope none of them have been laid off)

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

The_Doctor posted:

I expect both ML and Black Series to become more conservative in their ranges.

I can't imagine how Black Series could get anymore conversative.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Other posted:

That's basically how Lightning Collection was going as well with the added bonus of inconsistent teams(for example, a shared weapon included with every member of the team might be moulded in one colour and details painted in another for some figures, the two colours would be reversed for the a different member and then one would have the whole weapon painted), Now that's a line I don't expect to see return anytime soon

Yeah, speaking of weird weapon choices the new Black Series Baylan Skoll has a lightsaber blade that's nearly a quarter as long as any other in the range. It's not any longer in the show, so why did they spend the money make a new cast for his blade that's inaccurate and looks stupid?

Shin, his apprentice, has the same color of blade at the regular length!

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Cheesus posted:

Even if it's not true, hearing pretty that put much my head into focus into how Hasbro has been operating the Star Wars line for the past 10 years. For every amazing figure like the new R2-D2, you have several ridiculous releases like the out of scaled Baylan Skoll and Shin Hati and packing 3PO on a battle droid head with a super battle droid instead of a battle droid's head on 3POs body, like in the movie?

Yeah, it's all stupid. Their recent release of the Magma Droid, which I was really anticipating, is made with such soft plastic that it literally can't support its own weight without the legs bending.

The two pack of the C3PO and Super Battle Droid is dumb, because if they had included a Battle Droid head to swap onto the body it would've been a great army builder, but as it is people will only buy one, if any, and wait for an individual release of the SBD.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

S.W.O.R.D. Agent posted:

Didn't see this coming, but good on him. Sounds like he's going to be doing the exact same format on his channel, so I don't think much changes in the short term. I've got no allegiance to The Fwoosh itself, and I already follow his other channel. Guessing all that changes is the background color.

To be honest for the longest time I thought that Robo and Fwoosh were one and the same, so good on him for going alone. He's basically the face of that brand and deserves to be making that money for himself.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

I have am unopened Haslab HISS tank for sale if anyone in the UK wants one? I'll post it in the marketspace when I get a chance to sit down and type up the details.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

CelticPredator posted:

Someone got the minus one sh goji and it blows rear end. Don’t buy it.

I'm disappointed Hiya Toys hasn't announced a Minus One figure yet, but I assume it'll come eventually and blow the Monsterarts version out of the water.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Nerd Of Prey posted:

Super 7's other big announcement today is they're doing toys of the 80's D&D cartoon. The same ones Hasbro just made that didn't seem to sell too well. Good luck with that, Super 7. They look good, but honestly I do not need to buy those characters again, certainly not for the prices they charge. The Hasbro ones are fine; that box is checked for me. I would be more interested if NECA were doing them in their more realistic, hyper-detailed D&D style. (Super 7 should have licensed The Last Unicorn instead.)

God, Super7 is such a weird loving company. What an odd choice to make these, which, like you've said, have already had whatever minimal demand for them met.

The Last Unicorn would of been great. Even with Super7's dubious (routinely loving awful) quality I'd order these.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Nanigans posted:

Mines of Mandalore version has a worse cape, and no jetpack. It's absolutely a worse version of the same figure and an inexplicable release outside of greed.

I feel like Hasbro became a kind of performance art project during the last Star Wars fan stream when they revealed a brand new (the same but repackaged) Mandalorian and then promptly revealed a pipeline release of a brand new (the same but repackaged) Mandalorian.

I get that he's a popular character you'd want to keep on the shelves, so I have no problem with the business logic of rereleasing him in updated packaging every year, but why the gently caress would you build hype for it in the pipeline reveals!?

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

I've bought from that sculptor before (their replacement Gamera head) and can attest that they are great.

I'd of bought the Monsterarts figure and the head here too if I didn't decide to wait and see what Hiya offers.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Joe Fisto posted:

I know there isn’t a lot of variety in Jedi design, but the Acolyte figs are basically the same guy with a different head. Boring. Even if the shows great, boring.

It doesn't help that the Black Series team present every reveal with all the excitement of a cadaver. They are proof positive that putting toy designs in front of the camera is a dumb idea.

New packaging is quite nice though.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

CelticPredator posted:

I’m also selling a bunch of MCU Hot Toys. I’ll put together a list with prices tonight or tomorrow

But I have homecoming Spider-Man no damage to suit...

Is this a variant or are you clarifying that because the toys suit damages easily?

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Anyone aware of a reputable place in the UK that's selling the Hiya Godzilla range?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Fishylungs posted:

I do collect Black Series Star Wars and was jazzed it was for the Black Series until I saw it was literally *just* a Rancor. I want to say they had also just announced/released a Gamorrean Guard too. Oola wasn't going to sell me, that Rancor just did not match the price to me.

The rubber skin on the Rancor put me off. I'm not backing a project for several hundred pounds when I know that 10 years from now it'll be turning to dust.

The Last Call posted:

The Rancor failed due to people not getting the extras they wanted and that team actually seemingly somewhat combative with what the backers wanted.

This sums up the Star Wars team in general. Absolutely awful and anytime you watch them back to back with other teams on the live shows you can see how little energy or enthusiasm they have. I've no idea why they are in charge of what must be Hasbro's biggest license.