Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Nilbop posted:

That's because Ippo's author doesn't realize he is literally going to die before he finishes it.

They'll find his body sprawled over a desk, an over-the-shoulder, mouth-wide-open shot of Ippo saying "Wow, I guess I have a long wa"

This is :smith: as gently caress because I just realized it's probably gonna go down like this 100%

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Takamura holding up Aoki's lifeless corpse by the helmet was pretty boss

Haha, seriously these last few chapters have been pretty entertaining.

Yep, that's one of my favorite panels from the last few years honestly. That shiteating grin loving makes it.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

He might be smug and have the crazy poo poo going on but I always felt like he was tempered by that when he got beat in his debut and acted like a bitch about it only to get chewed out by everyone on the team.

I guess I always figured he was kind of scared since then to screw up and was just legit trying to be good / seemed redeemed as a character.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

It's actually a decent turn of events. Problem is it took 5 chapters of race car bullshit to get here

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Itagaki's gonna leave the gym and challenge Miyata.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Hortism posted:

New chapter out

The fact that Itagaki has been wailing on Saeki for a few chapters now makes me hope that there will be another twist to the fight, but I'm not sure why it would matter since Itagaki's going to win anyways.

The thing that sucks the most about how this manga has been going is that the last 7-8 chapters could have been shrunk into 2 and virtually nothing would have been lost from the story so far.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

ANIME AKBAR posted:

If the fight takes 10 chapters total then that's not too horrible. What really pisses me off is that Aoki and Kimura's fights are going to be far shorter.

There were 2 entire chapters that showed literally nothing other than Itagaki and Saeki speeding up during the fight.

Then 2 chapters that were solely there to explain that doing the Ali shuffle and shiratori made Itagaki relax. I honestly got more than halfway through the 2nd of each of these chapters before I could be sure that it was in fact a new chapter that week and not just a goof with an update.

I mean... they could have done all of that in less than the span of 1 chapter and not have lost anything. There's nothing major that's changed with Itagaki, no big character development, no real drama either and its taken 2 months now to get that far.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Jose posted:

Its just setting up for Rikitarou's first kill/crippling like Ippo does

Or just setting up Ricky to lose, have the guy laugh, spit on him as he gets out of the ring and walks off scott free living a rich mans life with plenty of hot bitches. Thus making this the most :smith: ending to a manga ever.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Hortism posted:

Haven't actually started RRR yet. I figured that since it's already finished I might as well till the scanlations are done first.

And that's the problem with HnI. I kinda feel obliged to follow it since I've read it for so long that I'd like to see it get good again. But there really is no end in sight, and every smug Itagaki battle is making me hate it more and more.

Good thing is you can just breeze through the HnI chapters fast as possible and be pretty certain that you aren't going to miss anything especially big. At least not miss anything that won't be covered repeatedly over the next 2-4 chapters at least.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Normally I'd be unimpressed that Morikawa was taking forever to get through a story but he's really done such a nice job with this one that it's built up tension in an entertaining, exciting way. Good to see he still has it. Hopefully he can continue the next arc like this one as well. The fights, despite reading 1000 chapters of them have been pretty interesting and not terribly gimmicky.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Best chapter of this manga in a long long time. Which is something because this has been the best fight in a long time as well.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

FiftySeven posted:

Chapter 1004
Well that was ridiculous. I would say there is no way this poo poo would fly in reality but then again, look at the fiasco during the Olympics last year. That said, at least the refs in that case got expelled.

Eh. I bet that this would actually happen in reality. Look at some of the bigger split decisions lately. This manga has never really touched on this bad side of boxing before which has been nice in a way. But, I don't see this being too unrealistic either.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Fabricated posted:

Nah, Morikawa has totally touched on hometown decisions before. It's why Vorg lost by decision against Sendo, and Miyata has had issues with it too.

Now the literally holding the guy up thing is hilarious. We'll find out next time he gave him a loving gun too.

That's true. Only going by memory on those but this seemed like it was a little more overt / sinister.

Point being I don't find the premise here ridiculous at all compared to the reality of the sport at present.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

1030 is out http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Hajime-no-Ippo/1030?id=175452

Not gonna lie, the 2 panels of him and the coach in the room are some of the best I've seen from this manga in a long time.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Fabricated posted:

It's kinda looking to me like Ippo will kick the poo poo out of this guy after the inevitable beating he'll receive because he's Ippo and he almost never ends a match without looking like he fell in a wood chipper.

I kinda thought that too but re-read up to the loss to Date and it's pretty apparent that Ippo got a shitload better at defense (relatively) after that fight.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Big L posted:

1041: http://readms.com/r/hajime_no_ippo/1041/2249/1

1042: http://readms.com/r/hajime_no_ippo/1042/2250/1

"The tactics of the man ranked number two in the world!" Is a 1-2. :what:

Oh, Hajime No Ippo :allears:

Isn't that what Eagle did?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Bushmaori posted:

Yeah it is just slow to get scanned/translated. Not very popular or something, I dunno.

The last arc or two have gotten a lot better too... kinda wish they would get it out more routinely.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

To be fair he's "weathered the storm" a bit and now he can dodge the punches instead of just putting his forehead in front of them. It's not like he's just trying to get hit.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

trucutru posted:

Holy poo poo guys! Ippo's style is all about dodging! It may not seem like it, what with him being pummeled in the loving face most of the time, but it is totally about dodging.

I love Takamura's non-reaction.

In one hit? For real? (The previous eight hundred hits don't count)

I'm only asking for an Ippo and Team Medical Dragon crossover. That's all I want.

Man... there would be so many *Intense Faces* in like every scene. Only possible to have more if they crossed over with Bambino after that.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Flesnolk posted:

the whole manga kinda feels like it's spinning its wheels and like Morikawa's finding excuses to not wrap things up.

Kinda been happening since like, chapter 300.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

What's really sad is reading the 1st 40 or so chapters again and realizing that the pacing was awesome for those and you just wonder when it went off the rails.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

tbp posted:

Sometime after the 400th chapter lol

There were decent fights after that (Eagle, Sawamura, Randy Boy Jr sort of, Volg's world title match) but still it's been a looooong time since then

Oh yeah, definitely, even with the slower pacing the fights could be really good just that in the original arc or two you would routinely see Ippo fighting a single match, doing some character development after, maybe start working on something new. Seem's like lots of the earlier fights were 1-2 chapters long at most and that was with a lot of outside the ring content thrown in.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

WhiffleballDude posted:

Finished the Woli fight. Gonna be honest, not sure what the big issue is. It's not great or anything, it has the same problems as the Gedo fight with a large chunk of it basically having nothing happen while Ippo gets his rear end kicked, and the way Woli loses his advantage is loving stupid, but it wasn't all that terrible. Probably unbearable to read when it's not all out there already but it seems like that's been the case for like 10 years with this series so w/e.

That's the problem. Over the last few years it's gone from weekly releases to a few all at once and then none for a few weeks. It's annoying as gently caress when you get 5 chapters at once and it encompasses like half of one round of a fight with an opponent who you think is stupid and that literally no one gives a poo poo about.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

You guys are gonna poo poo a brick when it's revealed everything from the Sisfa fight onwards is all in Ippo's head and he's been in a coma for a couple hundred chapters.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

WhiffleballDude posted:

Itagaki vs Saeki was goddamn incredible and I love that they both just basically enter the speedforce. I think that's officially my 3rd favorite fight, behind Ippo/Date and Mashiba/Sawamura.

Ugh really? Man that one was just all "Car analogies!" and "I think he has another gear" "look at him change lanes without looking" It was like guest written by the dude from Initial D or something.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Bisse posted:

The manga really focuses on the basics on boxing being important. E.g. Woli had a billion gimmicks and tricks and Itagaki did his GOTTA GO FAST thing but they both got ruined by the basics.

But where Ippo sucks is he only has one track. Other boxers can do several different tactics even if they mostly focus on one. Mr. Machisimo here can hold his own in a close fight even though he's an outboxer. But Ippo is lazer focusing on one thing, and while he does it really really well, if you can find a way around it he's got no answer.

In my mind there's only two possible outcomes for this match:
- Ippo comes up with a new tactic other than rushing in (probably some sort of dodging skill) to stop applying face to fist.
- Ippo loses.

Yeah I'm thinking if he's not going to lose then he's going to have to accidentally figure out some sort of step-in counter that he can bait the other guy into.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

This arc is a huge letdown after how awesome the last Vorg fight had been in comparison to this and all the crap arcs just before that one. Really... just when it was starting to get kind of cool again the pacing goes right out the window and the plot just gets dumb.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

It would actually be pretty cool if Ippo pulls out that motionless short upper that he beat Miyata with like in the 1st dozen or so chapters.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Fabricated posted:

Well I thought the setup with this guy was that he had "bad habits", and that his current style is just an imitation of Martinez's style and thus somehow much shittier so he keeps losing to Martinez. The emotional gimmick to this fight will be that this reckless poo poo is his "real" fighting style and Ippo will beat him and somehow despite the fact his "real" style will likely be the reason he loses he'll decide to be "a real man" and master his own style instead of imitating Martinez.

So up to Chapter 1058 is out and... :smith:

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Now it's time for the Mashiba / Vorg arc.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Shinjobi posted:

Mayhaps we'll see his skillset expanded by the other coaches in the gym, who I'm sure would also like to be relevant again.

Hmmm... would be interesting if they started him sparring against Itagaki more and working out something there.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

ManOfTheYear posted:

Small? Wikipedia says Japan has a population of almost 127 million. I live in Finland and there's 5 million of us. That's small. Russia has almost 144 million inhabitants and it's a huge country, the populations not much smaller to Japan's. Cuba has only 12 million and that country is famous for it's boxers. There should be a whole bunch of good boxer's in Japan, but maybe it just isn't too popular in Japan, there are a billion combat sports to attend to.

Manga's not real.

Also they mention that he challenged a bunch of dudes faster than he should have and really punished his body a lot to move down the weight classes and up the rankings as fast as he did..

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

KidDynamite posted:

Are Ahista no Joe and RRR the only boxing mangas that have ended?

Rokudenashi Blues (same guy that did Rookies) ended but it was more about delinquents than boxing I guess.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Fabricated posted:

Best case scenarios to make the manga interesting again:

1) Ippo and co. actually learn how to become skillful, well-rounded boxers and Ippo actually gets good fights like Vorg's championship bout.

2) Morikawa gives up and literally makes it like a shounen battle manga and the fake superpowers become real superpowers. Like Ippo learns how to use his "Tekken" from the Woli fight and it literally turns his fists into iron. Itagaki moves so fast he becomes one with the speed force, and travels through time to win the match before it starts somehow.

It would be neat if he sent Ippo to train with some outboxers or something to learn either evasion or some counters. Maybe Miyata's dad would use it as an opportunity to make up with the gym or something.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Bisse posted:

New chapter.
http://www.mangareader.net/hajime-no-ippo/1072

He can still walk by himself after that beatdown, with just some bandages to the head. Total bullshit. Other than that this 'might' go in a direction that actually brings some character development. For any other manga i'd say 'will definitely go' though. Either way we're heading for depression town for the next 5-10 chapters or so.

Seems like they left it on a fairly high note in the last panel at least.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Bisse posted:

Tremble in fear when the name "Woli" appears. That's the point where you might want to close your eyes for the next 50 chapters.

Yeah, Woli is the worst part of the entire manga. Not long after that Vorg shows up for a while and the manga gets really good at least for a while.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

ManOfTheYear posted:

I think this series is always on it's worst when Ippo is facing the most cartoony characters: they get really super repetive like that sea-dude who just couldn't shut up about sea and dragging Ippo to the bottom of the sea and they also get the most un-boxing like matches, because they just try to follow the stupid rear end gimmicks, rather than having good and realistic boxing.

Ippo is a good manga, really good, but I really prefer All-Rounder Meguru to it, because it dropped all the stupid yakuza plot lines pretty fast and just concentrated on the sport itself. I don't know anything about boxing but the MMA is Meguru is really accurate and fun to watch. The boxing in Ippo is less, although it's fun too.

Rock and Roll Ricky was also good although ended way too soon. If you haven't checked it out give it a go. I also like Meguru, waiting to see where the story goes.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Huzzah! posted:

Chapter 1081 is out

Sendo and Mashiba brawlin' is great. You know things are going in the right direction when someone brings out the folding chair.

That Yagi panel is perfect.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

gently caress trophy 2k15 posted:

I just got caught up to the end of the woli fight (so five years behind)

It's not going to get any better is it?

Vorg shows up a good bit later and has one of the nicer fights of the series. Otherwise nothing super that I recall but nothing as anywhere close to as bad as Woli.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

DeadBonesBrook posted:

Is it just me or did Mashiba just use the Fish punch thing that Kimura used on him?

I thought it was more like Vorg's combos.