Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
How often does literally punching someone's block so repeatedly, and hard, that their arm gets hosed up and unable to maintain the block anymore?

I don't doubt that happens, but like... you don't hear about it much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I think maybe all the masks are references? Except Kimura's which is a reference... to his head.

Takamura's is Sanraku from Shangri La Frontier
Aoki's is brand X Ramenman
I think Itagaki's is brand X Kikaider
Kumi's is the wee snowman looking thing from Rave Master
There are many panda characters out there, but for some reason Yagi's reminds me of the one from Jujutsu Kaisen?

maybe I'm reaching

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
1318 is out and it looks like Takamura is finally going to heave his Super Middleweight title match. Not sure I like the setup for his opponent; the whole thing reeks of "Having to overcome the handicap of an opponent with good luck" which might be good in a superhero comic, but seems kind of weird in a boxing manga. Also nice to see the fact that it's weird that Takamura has never fought outside of Japan addressed.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Garrand posted:

Wasn't there a big ol speech a while ago on how there's no such thing as a lucky punch? I don't remember when this was but I vaguely recall coach talking about how a fighter trains their punch.

Kamogawa's spiel in this chapter is about the having luck in your career as a boxer, independent of your performance in the ring, so he's being consistent even if Takamura is making GBS threads on what he said once upon a time

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
At this point I don't think Ippo is getting back into the ring until some crazy poo poo happens, including but not limited to

-Sendo beats Martinez
-Sendo dies
-Kamogawa dies
-The fishing boat gets wrecked
-Ippo's mom somehow becomes independently wealthy and she tells him to chase his dream
-The Baki story with Muhammad Alai Jr., except with Ippo as Baki, Kumi as Kozue, and a world champion featherweight as Jr.
-Mashiba becomes world lightweight champion and pressures Kumi into joining the Otowa boxing gym as his medical advisor, and then absconds with her on a globe-trotting trek to keep her away from Ippo
-Miyata becomes featherweight world champion (This one seems the least likely)

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Giving Takamura a Behelit is the exact kind of dumbassed thing I'd expect Ippo to do

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I can tell if Morikawa's art has gotten chunkier, if the scans are just being cleaned in a particularly chunky fashion, or if Kamogawa is legit looking a little bit more rough than usual

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
to think that all this time Takamura's brother was an executive at Bandai and is now gifting his rambunctious little bro with a gunpla-based entrance attire

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I can't confirm, but I believe the subs on CR for the original series are the same as the physical release, since they were licensed from Disco and seem to be a (not significant enough) edit of the old bad Geneon subs.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Aoki Jr. and his buddy are going to be in above average shape (even for Kamogawa gym) for their pro debut at this rate

Kinda wondering if this is going to end up with Mashiba having another one of those "Clearly the only way I can win matches is by being an absolute psychopath" moments

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Takes No Damage posted:

Eating undercooked meat is the new mohawks, safety pins and football pads. It lets Japanese Boomers know that this guy is Bad NewsTM.

ofuck, Japan probably doesn't have a Baby Boomer generation, and in fact they'd probably interpret that waaaaaaay differently in relation to the end of WWII :ohdear:

That was my first thought too, but his eyes have that shaded in bloodshot look to indicate he's been getting hit a lot. Still not buying that anything's going to happen except the thing we all expect to happen.

It's not exactly the same timing and text wise, but I bet people who were working adults that who got set up for life during the bubble economy love to talk poo poo about everyone who is floundering in the subsequent recessions

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
That was a pretty hilarious fakeout with Mashiba

Itagaki's in an odd position. On one hand he got pushed at a time where power creep was affecting everyone pretty hard, so he came across as a potential monster, but now that the brakes have been stepped on he's going to flounder for a good while

Kinda deserves it because he's a weenie (granted, I still find him entertaining)

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Flesnolk posted:

Also the world of boxing is big, the next guy who gets in the ring with you could always be the one best suited to gently caress you up. The crazy power creep stuff like Itagaki teleporting and Miyata throwing supersonic punches was always pretty clear visual metaphor anyway, not "these people have superpowers now," so I think it tracks.

That's actually something I think is great about Ippo in general. You'll get moments like Ippo literally punching someone's guts out, but it's clear in the next panel that it's just a visual metaphor and not meant to be representative of what's actually going on.

I still wouldn't call it "realistic" but on a spectrum where Slam Dunk is on one end and Prince of Tennis is on the other, Ippo is closer to Slam Dunk

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Funny how despite having a multi-time multi-world title holder in his gym, it's Sendo who keeps dragging Ippo out of Japan

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Ippo's improved so much that Takamura poo poo

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
She's justifiably paranoid about Ippo starting the box again, because he loving is and he's the only one who thinks otherwise

That being said, she's still a weenie for being just as wishy washy about their relationship as Ippo is. But in a (tortured, possibly unhealthy) way that means they're made for each other!

I do think Ippo is going to need to be triggered into boxing again by some major thing instead of just gradually slipping back into it, though.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I think it's less that Kamogawa is miserable as a coach and more that he could not single handedly teach Ippo everything he needed to be a world class boxer

I haven't had any intensive mentoring experience, so I I don't know how it works in real life, but it stands to reason that you can't force someone to figure out things that are counter-intuitive to them, unless you are a particularly sneaky sonofabitch and gifted as a teacher. And frankly, if Kamogawa was able to turn Ippo--stupid, shy, anxious Ippo--into a Takamura-class threat almost entirely on his own, that'd be the crazier of the two outcomes.

Not everyone can be the cool martial arts sensei from the awesome fight movie

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
oh my god i just had the stupidest idea

what if ippo boxing again magically restores kamoagawa's vitality?

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Really weird how Rising has an official translation but New Challenger is just kinda sitting in null space

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I've seen Ippo beaten into a possibly-concussed bloody state, had his dream deferred and shattered, constantly fail to hook up with his hypothetical girlfriend, receive all manner of Takamura-dispatched abuse, and I've never felt as sorry for him as I did in this chapter

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Nilbop posted:

You could make the arguement at this point that a significant portion of the non-Japanese depicted in this manga aren't done so sympathetically. And it doesn't have to be as cartoonishly overt as Bryan Hawk, it can be as innocuous as Michael Goat being gormless enough to think the Japanese audience were cheering for him when they were just upset with Takamura.

The majority of them are just some dudes who ends up being cannon fodder for Takamura, there's not a lot of room for any kind of sympathetic internality when you're a literal bump in the road for the comic's resident 18 wheeler

Also if I remember right I think the idea is that Kamogawa and Nekota were juuuust young enough to not actually be in the war. They were late teens/early 20s during the prize fighting bits in the manga, in other words.

I would never pretend that Ippo is particularly enlightened with it's depiction of foreigners, but I definitely don't think it's particularly bad about them either. The comedic bits in this comic are very broad, which invites a lot of wacky stereotype poo poo, and it's a story about boxing, which as a industry is not exactly full of sterling personalities in the first place. In spite of that, there's a tangible effort made to show the more prominent members of the international gang are the same kind of distinct, sympathetic, fully thought out characters that a lot of the Japanese random weirdos that the main characters get into fights with are.

In short, when it comes to handling of non-Japanese characters, it's better than Prince of Tennis, but not as good as Haikyu

OnimaruXLR fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Sep 19, 2022

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I'm betting Woli is going to start falling apart the second he realizes the depths of the predicament he's in. Ricardo won't be goaded into slipping up and once he's satisfied with his observations, he'll be out for blood, and even though Woli has the physicality to compete, he won't have the psychological or technical means to.

To put it another way: Ippo fights in a way that, despite metaphorically disembowling people with body blows, makes other fighters realize their love for boxing. Guys like Sendo and Martinez... do the opposite.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I'm glad he finally found a pair of briefs that fit properly

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I could see Sendo winning. His fighting style has usually been shown to be about him instinctively honing in on opportunities in a way that the top tier guys tend to do.

Granted, I could also see him losing, but he has a better chance than zero chance. Plus, if he wins and Ippo comes back, it'll help continue the weird series tradition of the Kamogawa Gym boys never fighting a match outside of Japan

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I don't know about the Puerto Rican boxing scene or if there's a more relevant example, but having the most evil wrestler in the world who may or may not be a murder located there is making me wonder if Morikawa read about Bruiser Brody

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I wouldn't be surprised if Miyata's management is refusing to book him matches unless they absolutely have to, on the grounds of him refusing to move up to Jr. Lightweight but having to be in dangerous physical shape to fight in featherweight

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
How tall is Takamura supposed to be, anwyay? LIke is he a giant or is he tall for a Japanese dude, like a Japanese pro wrestler?

also Morikawa's G-Gundam watch continues to bare fruit

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
its kinda funny that Mashiba's inner demon is just whole rear end Sawamura

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

CharlestonJew posted:

You know, after all he’s been through, I say we let him murder Ippo once. Just once, as a treat

Keeping Ippo and Miytata from ever getting to fight is worse than anything he could physically do to Ippo

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Larry Cum Free posted:

Just put a sign outside the gym inviting in any and all sparring partners!

Also, lol that Itagaki is so prominent in Mashiba's concept of people in his corner. I think they were sparring partners once, but have they interacted outside of that?

Itagaki is arguably Mashiba's only friend on-panel, largely due to his impudent but rational nature. I think he was the first person to hit Mashiba with "Kumi's a grown woman" to get him to back off the overprotectiveness.

Beyond him you only ever see him be consistently nice to family and coworkers and now this dead parole officer guy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Itagaki's problem is less that he wins by decision and more that he seems to have found his ceiling with his inability to take the Japanese title. Granted, his losses seemed to be less a skill issue and more a tactical and mental one, but we've seen how long it's taken Ippo to start moving past his mental block (and Aokimura have arguably never gotten past theirs0