Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Given how Miyata claimed he only had enough in him for that last right, that big punch at the end of the latest chapter better be nothing. I'm sorry, I like Miyata and all, but he simply should not win this fight. Maybe the creator got a little too excited with the injuries he took, but the fact remains that Miyata got his poo poo kicked in twice over. I'm not sure I'm going to like the way this fight ends.

Bleh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

kypdjk posted:

Agreed, not only is he a colossal pussy for not even making a move yet, but despite all his training I don't see him any closer to defeating Ricardo Martinez than he was 500 or so chapters ago.

To be fair, Date didn't do much better. And he had over seven years to prepare, too.

IPPO VS MARTINEZ, 2018: Can one fiesty 78 year old take on the boxer of last century? Hold onto your walkers folks, this one will be a blast!

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Ytlaya posted:

I don't understand Itagaki as a character. He seems to be like Miyata, only better in every way and with "superpowers." Since it doesn't seem like he'll be leaving Ippo's gym anytime soon it just seems like a waste of time to focus on him so much.

I don't think he's nearly as good as we think. I mean, he's doing impressive stuff...but against pretty poo poo opponents. And honestly, just because he manages to wing a few borrowed techniques doesn't mean he's anywhere close to mastering them.

Itagaki is seriously talented, yet also very immature, and I think it's the latter that really draws people away from him. It sucks, but it just means that at some point we can hope for him to wisen up and bring on something serious.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I expect to see Ippo corner the guy, only to slip on a banana in the ring. Honestly, it would surprise me more than the inevitable "FOR SOME REASON THIS GUY'S MONKEY TRAINING MADE HIS CORNER SPEED GODLIKE" explanation.

Can't they just start fighting boxers again?

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Serious Frolicking posted:

In other words, Mowgli will be yet another opponent who could easily score a win via points but will instead decide to try to knock out the freakish unstoppable juggernaut. Also, Miyata again? drat, Ippo really needs to get laid.

To be fair, as far as "quick and speedy" boxers go, there's no one better to use as a model than Miyata. At least, as far as we've been told. I kinda wish we could see another Martinez character that Miyata/Itagaki could aspire to beat, since I think we are all well aware that both would like to go a few rounds with Ippo. I dunno, I really would like to see the world stage opened up more, without the "INTRODUCING THE DUDE YOU'RE GOING TO BEAT IN FOUR CHAPTERS" treatment.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Just read the translated 868; I hope you're all ready for the second coming of Bryan Hawk. Expect a similar fight, just without the raw badassery of the finale.

I kinda described it in a negative way, but I'm still interested in seeing where this goes.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

tazman posted:

See, these latest fights have been bothering me. I love how Ippo has reached the stage where only one of his punches will completely gently caress the other guy up, but then the opponent has to rely on gimmicks so he doesn't get raped. And I don't really like that. I miss the Sendou fights, where both fighters were kicking the poo poo out of each other, not dodge dodge dodge HIT oh he's down.

I think by having Ippo take down gimmick after gimmick, they try to have you believe that Ippo is still gaining worthwhile experience from each fight. What they're really doing, though, is slowing down Ippo's progress as a boxer so that Miyata can catch up.

Cause I don't care what Miyata can throw in the ring, it wouldn't take more than ten of Ippo's punches to take him down, currently.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Calling it now:

Ippo's gonna be on the verge of losing. He's going to think about Miyata, and basically do his own version of "Angry Takamura" from the Brian Hawk fight. Unconscious and raging, he's going to somehow completely obliterate Mowgli.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
A counter clockwise Dempsey Roll.:colbert:

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
When do the spoilers generally come out for Ippo chapters? We didn't get a chapter this week, I know, but when can we expect the next one?

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Ytlaya posted:

I think Sendo deserves success on the "world stage" more than Ippo does, to be honest. Ippo loves boxing, but he doesn't seem to have the ambition necessary and obsesses too much about stupid poo poo like fighting Miyata.

Sendo is just as bad whenever there's even the slightest chance of him punching Ippo in the face.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Ytlaya posted:

Wait, what? So he basically tells him to stop using a winning strategy and take a huge unnecessary risk? That's lame. Even if/when Ippo wins, it'll only be because Woli's coach gave him dumb instructions.

If he wants to use this fight as a learning experience, he might find it beneficial for Woli to experience a punch as heavy as Ippo's. I mean, the guy only has 3 matches under his belt, and we've learned through Miyata that natural talent only takes you so far. Maybe Miguel's just gonna throw the match by sending him to the slaughter.

gently caress this manga for that to even be a possibility.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Okay, I've figured it out. This is Ippo's super saiyan moment.

Look at the situation. Everything he tries is hopeless, and every strategy has failed. Woli is faster, smarter, and simply better than Ippo is right now. Something's gonna happen, like Woli punching Kamogawa until he explodes, and Ippo's gonna snap. Golden hair, filled with rage, he will whiff so hard the missed punch's air pressure will knock Woli out.

Ippo's next opponent will be a boxer created from the cell's of all the Kamogawa boxers. With the help of Ippo's own son sent from the future, he'll find a way to beat this perfect monstrosity.

At this point I wouldn't even mind if something that stupid happened. I just want Woli to get his :smug: punched out through his rear end in a top hat.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

An Outland Dish posted:

That's because Itagaki is Woli's half brother :ssh:

No way, this is Itagaki's desire to challenge Ippo personified. He wanted to fight his senpai so much that it manifested into some random jungle dude a ridiculous distance away.

Wait another 4 chapters, when Itagaki confronts Woli and reveals him to be his new Persona. This sets a brand new trend into Ippo, a la the stands in Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, as each boxer must now conquer their own persona before they try to take on Ricardo Martinez, or as he more commonly referred to...Lucifer.

Hajime no Ippo: Persona 5 anime slated for this fall!:downs:

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Infinitum posted:

With Ippo being what it's been lately, even Wall-E wants to take out this trash. :iceburn:

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I'm going to laugh if Ippo shocks all of us by catching Woli in his monkey jump.

"YEAH YOU'RE PRETTY MUCH BETTER THAN ME IN EVERYTHING BOXING RELATED. BUT YOU'LL NEVER TAKE MY TITLE OF VIOLENT MEAT HEADED ANIMAL!!!"

Dempsey Roll to Monkey Leap, Woli dies instantly. Manga ends.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
884: DON'T loving BOTHER

Raws out, and I don't think that needed any spoilers.

This does, though: If Ippo can last a few more brain shattering punches, he's managed to at least touch Woli again. I think we might see something retarded like a counter punch, or just a sacrificial blow.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I honestly believe Woli is going to overexert himself with his jumping around and nonstop punching. He will fall victim to his own style, and then it'll just be 6 taps from Ippo to topple him.

This is going to be worse than it sounds.:smith:

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
You guys DID see Ippo land a hit, right? Granted, it was blocked, but Woli was completely surprised and thrown back. If Woli lets up again, I think Ippo's figured out his speed. I'm throwing in a prediction for a completely out of nowhere counter punch that destroys Woli in one hit. Ippo's been getting those small taps for a while now.

This match still sucks all sorts of donkey balls, but Woli is going to get murdered in 3 chapters or less. Calling it now.

This is the last hurrah for optimism.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Chinaman7000 posted:

Training arc.

Kaio-ken...TIMES FOUR!!!

Ippo will then punch so hard he throws himself off balanc--oh wait he does that already. Welp, I dunno. Maybe Aoki will explode from all the smug surrounding Woli. That'll be just what Ippo needs to turn golden.

I'm pretty sure this might be the 2nd or 3rd DBZ reference I've made specifically to this fight. That alone reminds just how long this snuff film has been going on. Christ, Woli, just shoot him already.:smith:

trucutru posted:

I distinctly remember thinking "Wow, the author is good" during the Kamogawa boxing arc because the Americans guys were joking about the "samurai spirit" which not only showed that he realized that foreigners don't think so highly of the concept but also was a great way to set the fight to be won (in a believable way) thanks to that.

And despite all of that, I guess the readers were supposed to have forgotten that Ippo has a lot of spirit and is determined. This whole fight was just a big reminder. Good lord, I think I wrote better conflicts when I was 13, and all of that garbage was fanfiction.:psyduck:

Shinjobi fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Apr 6, 2010

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I have seen the raw for 892, and I have this to say:

892 ends with a cliffhanger so assholish I wanted to punch my monitor. Chapter 893: Dempsey Roll vs Corner Hijinks!

You may want to avoid that spoiler. It might bring you estatic joy, or hellish rage.:iiam:

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I've always liked Itagaki, since it was nice having the contrast of a really talented boxer who just never thinks straight in a fight. Even so, I'm rooting for Karasawa in this one. I don't dislike Itagaki in this bout, but it's kinda hard to dislike a guy who gets advice from little ghost versions of himself. Karasawa's awesome.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Itagaki is just playing stupid; soon he will unleash God Mode 2, which looks similar to Woli's God Mode but adds in blue lightning that sparks around Itagaki's body.

Still an Itagaki fan.:toot:

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Coughing Hobo posted:

I hope the next chapter starts with Itagaki dead, killed by the centrifugal force he's exerted on his internal organs.

The greatest genius, Itagaki the Quick. That'd be a hell of a way to go.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
At least he's starting to show signs of actually being scary/evil/whatever the hell for when he fights Ippo. I enjoyed the fight, honestly, and it's got me seriously excited for the eventual Ippo/Itagaki matchup. It's got more buildup than the next Miyata/Ippo showdown, at this point.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Fabricated posted:

Gonna be disappointed when the new cannon-fodder's trick is that he hits really really hard.

Gonna be disappointed when Ippo's mainstay trick is hitting really hard.:pseudo:

I'm totally fine with his gimmick being a non gimmick. If that "blah blah can you breathe underwater guy" from forever ago would just have said that he was going to outlast Ippo I would have liked that fight a bunch more. I don't need magic gloves, or mermaid fighters to fight Ippo. I want to see a boxer fight Ippo. If Ippo has to just take some heavy hits to send some back during this fight, that's fantastic. You don't get it much simpler than that, and simple really is best for this manga.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Ippo's weakness is Miyata. His opponent is going to print out a Miyata mask and wear it during the fight.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Centzon Totochtin posted:

I literally posted this earlier on the same page. It hasn't even been a week.

This is where we are, as a fandom. This is so depressing.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I'm just gonna go ahead and place my bets on a 1HKO.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
gently caress that. I WANT Ippo to get pissed and wreck people.:mad:

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I try to ignore Morikawa's opinions on post-WW2 America. It's his own take on things, I seriously disagree with it, but I think he's totally entitled to his opinion so long as it doesn't take over the entire manga. It's bled out here and there, primary in the seconds' backstories, but they are not the main characters. Ippo and his generation don't really share that same mentality as the people who train them, and that's a healthy enough approach to it for me. As an American, it does leave a blemish on an otherwise awesome manga, but then again Woli was a fuckton worse and had absolutely nothing to do with any of that nonsense.

So...I dunno, man. I'd love nothing more than for George to drop it, but I'd rather put up with "waah waah Americans suck" than another gimmick fight.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Finally, a happy ending. Can we end the manga now?

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
AWWWWWWW poo poo I AM FREAKING OUT. Can't wait; any weaknesses the 2nd show had had more to do with the painstakingly slow climb to Takamura/Hawk. I'm pumped and ready for this one, since I really enjoyed the Sawamura match.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I actually like Itagaki, but this needs to happen. Itagaki to me is a Miyata who isn't boring as all hell. The dark and mysterious cliche is so old and played out, I sincerely hope Miyata just spontaneously combusts later on. Even so, this current fight is pretty good even as an Itagaki fan. You gotta learn the tough lessons.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
http://readms.com/r/hajime_no_ippo/1047/2317/1

Two new chapters of Ippo. One of the chapters is called "The Inevitable Result." This fight is going places.:thumbsup:

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

WhiffleballDude posted:

I went back a few pages in the thread to read the reactions to that fight and I gathered that everyone pretty much hates Itagaki, and I can understand why. I was even told he would be annoying by the friend who got me into Ippo in the first place but I don't know, man; I just like the kid. For whatever reason something about his fights just clicks with me.

On another note, I finished Volg's world title match. That was also really good. I think from this point I'm going to stop reading until a fight is finished, then read it all at once in order to alleviate some of the pacing issues.

Don't worry, I like him too. I think a lot of it stems from the fact that even though he is treated like some sort of prodigy, I think he has a lot of failing to do. He's gonna get his rear end kicked a bit before he goes fu God mode.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Two new chapters on MangaStream, and it's time to post Ippo's strategy yet again:

Sigh, just pull this trigger on this turd already.:smith:

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
So what I'm taking from this is that it is completely impossible for Ippo to beat Rodriguez. If this dude has been running a copy of his style and wrecking everything about Ippo, there's a 0% chance of success for him winning against Rodriguez. So...Miyata is gonna beat him, and Ippo beats Miyata again. Right. Thanks, George.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
All's well that ends well. Can't wait to see what happens next.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Kal-L posted:

I wonder if it will be like Rocky 3, where he will be coached by someone who actually cares to round out his skills, by focusing more on his speed and mobility, and not trying to win every fight by K.O.

Mayhaps we'll see his skillset expanded by the other coaches in the gym, who I'm sure would also like to be relevant again.