Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Was a page skipped?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Didn't seem like it, though the leaf catching thing seemed bullshit.

7 to 8 seemed like an awkward jump.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Hey I just realized something. Ippo did not use Boxing to teach him a lesson, because he slapped him.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

tbp posted:

oh god tahei is aoki's brother

Oh man this is really plausible.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

mossyfisk posted:

You, uh, notice anything there?

Oh my god how did I not see that frog.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

What is this, other than silly.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Centzon Totochtin posted:

Who's the other guy? the delinquent taihei was fighting under the bridge?

Yeah.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Hypocrisy posted:

If I recall correctly, Ippo went to a doctor.

Who said, yeah you are on the verge.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Asuron posted:

Man this is getting dumb in a hurry. He’s not punch drunk but he was in the early stages and decided to stop so he wouldn’t risk actually getting to that point.

Despite knowing that all his rear end in a top hat friends want him to box. Plus now you have Kumi being painted as the bad guy for rightfully stopping him. What kind’ve dumbass writing is that, what was the point of showing him having early symptoms, having him recognise it and hide it and then retire once he realised how severe it could get, only to say “nah, actually you can keep boxing, just be more courageous”.

Itagaki outright said that he thinks Ippo was right for stopping even if he would like to see him in the ring more. All the Kamogawa Gym people think he was right to stop, and they are the one who are the most in the know about Ippo's condition.

I think some of you guys were missing what was being said in the chapter.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
https://readms.net/r/hajime_no_ippo/1252/5671/1

Kumi's eyes did look a lot like her brothers.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
https://readms.net/r/hajime_no_ippo/1254/5701/1

I almost would not be surprised if Iga was revealed to be a robot.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

LordNagash posted:

Jesus christ, this really is a new level of being a lovely corner man. Even if this strategy works somehow and Mashiba loses, what the gently caress kind of career can the dude have after keeping this up?

A good one if he makes a world champion. For a lot of people results are the important thing. Not that Maron is not super lovely.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Yeah Iga is supposed to just ignore his pain, fear, worries, and anger. He is just supposed to ignore anything that can cause him to deviate from his trainer's plan.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Dias posted:

I mean, it's not that dumb. Ippo is saying that he got too focused on getting in with slips and setting up his Special Moves and he forgot that sometimes you gotta jab so you keep control.

Yeah. And as a result he kept taking unnecessary damage. It's something that makes a lot of sense.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Kamogawa at least realized that he utterly failed Ippo which is part of the reason he is not going to train another fighter.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

TaurusOxford posted:

Well SOMETHING needs to happen to his story. He hasn't gone anywhere since he fought Eagle.

He beat Bison and got another title.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Takamura will no doubt win, but I am glad it looks like Goat will be a challenge.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Goat is a good opponent. Reminds me of a quicker David Eagle, very orthodox but does the basics super well.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Kamogawa actually stated that Takamura was always going to be a Champion. It would not have mattered who coached him.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
New chapter link.
http://hni-scantrad.com/eng/lel/?manga=Hajime+no+Ippo&chapter=Chapter+1269#page=1

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Fabricated posted:

Yeah isn't this basically admitting that Kamogawa was a lovely coach who never pointed this out to him

Well stuff like this had been pointed out in the past. Kamogawa was just bad in tell Ippo the exact answers, usually trying to get Ippo to figure it out himself. Kamogawa himself already said he failed Ippo by not properly explaining stuff to him.

Edit:Though what Kamogawa needs to do is explain to Ippo about how it was his fault for not teaching Ippo properly.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Jul 15, 2019

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Shinjobi posted:

It's really fun to think of what Kamogawa's career would be if he didn't have three giant boxing beasts walk into his open arms. Takamura doesnt need a ton of coaching, Miyata was destined for greatness no matter who he trained under, and Ippo literally headbutt against a brick wall repeatedly to win and defend a championship.

It would be an absolutely awful coaching career.

Miyata was never trained by Kamogawa his dad coached him. Plus Miyata left the Gym before he debuted.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Yinlock posted:

it's all ippo's fault for not properly learning the lessons ~coach~ was trying to teach him

he would've been ready for the world stage with only 30 more title defenses

He renounced the title right before he fought Gonzales. (And lost.)

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Kal-L posted:

He's also been carrying like 30 coolers full of ice into the fishing boat everyday.

You know, I wonder... is there such a demand for fishing tours that Ippo's mom would have to take the boat out to sea daily? If it was just a weekend thing I would buy it, but from what I remember when Itagaki and the manga guy started helping them, they treated it like a full-time job.

Well they live on the coast in Tokyo the biggest city in the world. I imagine there would be some regulars that come out nearly every day to fish.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Patware posted:

well they've already looked dead at the camera and said "maybe he's just not punch drunk" since i don't think he ever had an actual diagnosis? i might be misremembering

He was stated by the doctor as being healthy, but probably on the verge of becoming punch drunk. (Actually mentioning the way he fights as one of the reasons.) Stating that with enough time off he could fully recover his senses and return to the ring in a decent state, but he would be taking a big risk.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Jul 18, 2019

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Dias posted:

Kamogawa, this dude is five or six years into a professional boxing career, did ya ever, y'know, teach him basic poo poo even a dilettante like myself knows?

I think he had an 8 year career.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Ippo I think you are getting too obsessed with the left.

Anyway it will be cool seeing Sendo go to Mexico.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Centzon Totochtin posted:

Didn't he say he wanted to fight Gonzalez after he saw him fight Ippo

Correct.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Wild Horses posted:

right, i tuned that part out.

Why it was a fun little arc.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

tbp posted:

sendo is absolutely going to be crippled vs martinez lol

I think he is going to fight Gonzales first.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Onmi posted:

Isn't that literally Gonzales's gimmick?! I would at least accept a gimmick where Martinez secret style is Peekaboo boxing

I think he was talking about Gonzales by mistake there.

I think Richardo was said to just really good.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Onmi posted:

https://i.imgur.com/IcbYZ9A.gifv

Just a reminder of where we've grown from.

I actually rather like that sequence.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Fabricated posted:

That sequence is actually really good from a choreography sense- it's just that Woli's style was kinda stupid in general and Ippo should've lost there but he defeats Woli because he hits him with a magic 1-inch punch repeatedly.

Well there is a reason Kamogawa said that Ippo would never be able to beat Woli again.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

CharlestonJew posted:

it was just classic shonen through and through. Hawk was built up to be the perfect heel, his trainer was this negative-world version of Kamogawa, and you had chapters upon chapters of Takamura starving himself Rikishii-style to reach the weight limit for the fight.

Hawk's trainer seems to just have a good eye for Talent. It's how he got Woli too.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Takamura vs Eagle was also a great fight.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

FutureCop posted:

A little silly if you think about it though: Miguel thought they could just ride through with their raw talent and unique fighting styles, but in both instances, his fighters lost because they did not have enough boxing fundamentals drilled into them. Why in the world did he count on Woli/Wally when he already learned this lesson from Hawk? It's been awhile since I read, so maybe he does give an excuse and I'm just not remembering it.

I think he wanted Wally to get his fundamentals down. Like he was partially hoping Wally would lose so Wally would take things more seriously and allow Miguel to mold him into a better Boxer. Rather than becoming like Hawk and coasting on his talent.

Like I bet he was hoping to hold onto Hawk and mold him into a better Boxer had he not given up entirely from his sole loss. Hawk no doubt had more raw talent then Takamura and he likely could have been even better had his defeat motivated him to train and get better, instead of breaking him.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Sep 21, 2019

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Fabricated posted:

It's kinda weird to ask Ippo to recount a fight that he lost because he was literally blanking out from brain damage

That was not the fight he lost from blanking out to due to damage. That was the next one. Gonzales was the one who broke him.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Billzasilver posted:

And Vorg the White Wolf. Frankly I wish Mashiba would too.

He just did.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Fabricated posted:

Woli is in Ippo's weight class still as far as I know, so maybe we'll see him again.

Kamogawa stated he would not let Ippo fight him again. On the grounds that he does not think Ippo would ever win in a rematch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Onmi posted:

The thing is, having jobber fights are GOOD. And the thing was is that at the end we were seeing Ippo fight jobber-level dudes and basically still not just clean their clock.

Almost all of Ippo's last fights were National Champions.