Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
You sure? Latest I'm seeing is 1042.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
The war arc started after the Bryan Hawk fight in the manga. I dunno where the rest of Rising leaves off chapter-wise though.

Edit: 556 is the end of the David Eagle fight apparently.

Flesnolk fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Mar 31, 2014

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

trucutru posted:

In one hit? For real? (The previous eight hundred hits don't count)

He took a strong left hook directly on the temple, if I'm interpreting the art right. After he's already been punched in the face like a hundred times before that, plus the way Gonzalez set him up to weave right into it, it's understandable.

Besides, every Ippo fight has him get the poo poo kicked out of him for like eight rounds before getting up and punching the other guy's head off.

Flesnolk fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Apr 2, 2014

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
I'm actually wondering if there even is an endgame plan - obviously we're close to the end of any story arc that really makes sense if Ippo takes out the #2 guy in the world, but the whole manga kinda feels like it's spinning its wheels and like Morikawa's finding excuses to not wrap things up.

Edit: Also, raws are up to like 1053, guess translating's going to just take a bit.

Flesnolk fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Apr 5, 2014

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Which chapters should I skip if I want to pass over the Woli fight without missing anything relatively important?

Edit: You know, Ippo's often kinda lovely actual boxing skills (except when he suddenly fights like an actual champion!) but ability to make due with monstrous stamina, a skull made of iron and punches that could kill a man with a love tap remind me a bit of Marciano. That feels like sacrilege but just a thought, that there are fighters who've succeeded the way he has without being turned into a vegetable; Marciano-Walcott wouldn't look out of place as an Ippo fight.

Edit edit: To be fair though Mr. 49-0 had some decent defensive skills if you really looked whereas Ippo really does seem to stand there and let himself get punched in the face half the time.

Flesnolk fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Apr 7, 2014

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
I wish more than like two (?) fights in the series full-stop were written as anything but the two fighters switching whose turn it is to deliver the one-sided smackdown.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

Bisse posted:

I dont know I feel like having Ippo lose a fight and be forced to develop would not be a bad move on one end but on the other end it's waaay too late in the manga to do that at this point.

Didn't he do exactly that with the Date fight and then decide to not do anything interesting with it?

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Even during the war arc, wasn't part of the whole thing with Ralph that all the toughness and fighting spirit in the world don't help that much against actually knowing how to box? That's why Nekota was doing so well while Kamogawa got the poo poo kicked out of him until he landed a couple lucky punches.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Yeah the argument falls apart a bit when you consider that describes literally all but three of Ippo's fights. But Ralph was a world-class welterweight before WW2 started so maybe Alfredo fits a similar niche for Ippo.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

trucutru posted:

There is a new chapter in the usual places and Ippo has finally learned to... do exactly the same poo poo he always does, that's the way to victory because it is the invincible path.

This is from the last page, sorry about that, but the raws are actually up to chapter 1055. I don't read a word of Japanese, but looks like he decides to try new stuff soon, or it's just the usual "Ippo gets the upper hand because the other guy just randomly decides to fight like an idiot" thing.

Edit: Still think Ippo's supposed to be based on Marciano, who took a huge amount of punishment in a lot of his fights yet came out of his career pretty okay. Mostly in how his success was based a lot on monstrous punching power and simply having greater stamina and ability to recover from damage than the people he fought, though even he had better defence than Ippo; it'd be a lot more interesting if Morikawa'd make up his loving mind about if this guy knows how to actually box or not.

Flesnolk fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Apr 30, 2014

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

WhiffleballDude posted:

- Do "impossible punches" include Flicker Jabs because those seem pretty not possible as well.

It was more apparent before the manga started going more towards the DBZ side of things, but those and Mashiba's whole style are supposed to be based off Thomas "Hitman" Hearns, so yeah, they're pretty possible.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
There's only a new raw. The translated chapters have been stuck at 1051 for a couple months or so.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
The past couple chapters would be an interesting turn if I had any faith Morikawa wasn't too much of a hack to do anything interesting with it. As it is it just seems like a way to toss everything back to square one.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
What ended up happening with Sendo vs. Gonzalez? I think I spaced out for a bit.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Yeah, I stopped looking in here for a bit and next I knew we were like 20 chapters into a completely different arc so I got confused lol

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Isn't it still like 1992 in universe lol

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
That's because Takamura is boring

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Not killing Sendo would be a problematic decision

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Nobody's going to die in the ring.

Who said anything about in the ring

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Also I think the opponent choice makes a lot of sense in-universe, beyond "how the gently caress does Martinez know who this is" - Wally[is a young, talented up and comer that, IIRC, his coach literally said would come back stronger after his fight with Ippo, and is weird and unconventional enough for Martinez to maybe be interested since he's the least textbook boxer possible, but he's also fresh enough his manager, promoter etc. might make the fight figuring there's no way this weird kid is ACTUALLY a threat to that ever-desired 0.

Edit: I wrote that before reading the actual chapter, where it says he's #3 in the world now lol

Flesnolk fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Oct 20, 2021

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

Good soup! posted:

Whoa lol I thought this wasnt supposed to be out for another week? Not complaining though, glad it arrived before my move across the country

Hoping they bring over New Challenger and Rising

Kinda weird that with how popular Ippo is, including IIRC actual professional boxers who entered the sport because of it, its anime isn't continuing and it has no licenced Western release

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

Good soup! posted:

But......it does now? lol

I meant the manga doesn't have an actual release, we've been relying on scans for thirty years now.

Speaking of thirty years, is it mildly weird to anyone else that actual irl boxers like Mike Tyson and Thomas Hearns exist in this universe alongside all the wacky cartoon fightmen? Not like, bad weird, just amusing.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Also when in this thread does Wali discourse start, I kinda want to see the original thread reactions since we're getting That Fucker again

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
I don't think he was born yet at the point the manga is set

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Has there been even one fight where Ippo looked like a competent boxer

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

Fabricated posted:

Woli gives me the impression that he'll be pulled out to fight against one of the other cast members

lol

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Was Blanka in street fighter based on Harimau too? Raised in the jungle, does that flipping thing at opponents, generally fights like an animal

Flesnolk fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Oct 22, 2021

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
So that fight ends with Harimau being disqualified for straight up biting a dude in the open, right? :V

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Fictional boxing continues to be cleaner than real boxing

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Seems like a lot of people die in ANJ

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
The weirder bit of Beginning Ippo is Takamura actually giving a poo poo

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Seeing him play off Ricardo the boring perfect punchbot will be pretty funny either way, I'm actually looking forwards to it

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
The bell rings and Wally just pulls out a gun and shoots Ricardo

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
I'm rewatching the anime, and the early series trend of Ippo's opponents all having some big important reason to be fighting, some of them with their entire future riding on the outcome of that match, while Ippo's motive is just "gee, I sure like boxing" is pretty hilarious. Slightly less so given he proceeds to break most of them in goddamn half, but still.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
This is a bad manga until there's a cat. Also when Ippo's dog comes back

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Also maybe tone down the racism towards Indonesians. They're not apemen, they live in cities!

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
You're just a Punch-Out!! character

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Also if it's 2000 or so why is that an overhead view of modern NYC, including One World Trade Centre

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
The subs on crunchyroll seem pretty bad. Are the ones on the new physical release better?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
That's a shame. The CR subs aren't literally incomprehensible or anything but they're often so unnatural-sounding as to be a bit painful to read.