Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

move it or lose it dillweed

trucutru posted:

The theme of the manga is that you become stronger one step at a time. Wally was born strong so he will never be able to beat Ricardo.

We don’t know that. We could get a flashback arc where a younger Wally is getting bullied by monkeys who later come to respect him when he becomes a pro boxer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

Wally wins and Ippo returns to boxing because even he hates Wally after watching this. He can cross the line into becoming a 'monster' because he doesn't care if he kills Wally in the ring.

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

Nilbop posted:

I just love the buildup to "Ricardo's still watching! What's he going to do?!"

Like Woli is jumping off the ringposts, using anime dash powers and getting away with every kind of nonsense, Ricardo throwing a carefully aimed punch is not going to deliver the payoff George might think it will.

I don't know, I'd be pretty satisfied with a whole chapter of Ricardo doing A Beautiful Mind calculations, taking into account humidity, wind resistance, Wally's fatigue from previous sprints, his adrenaline fighting in front of an away crowd... then on the last page he perfectly times one of Wally's sprints and hits him with a shovel hook that spins his head around 180 degrees.

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

Chapter 1399

So Wally is just the dirtiest fighter ever who cripples his sparring partners and ending his career is a moral imperative

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

Nope. We're in the final 10 chapters or so of this manga. Wally is going to KO Ricardo with a mid-air counter while front flipping over his head. Ippo is going to become his assistant trainer under Miguel. Final panel is Wally wearing the belt, laughing and eating a banana behind a big HAJIME NO WALLY title card.

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

Again, this fight really does need to end Wally's career, because imagine how annoying it would be to read a fight that he wins.

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

Lmao at the wireframe Wally model having a tail

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

New chapter

I have to grudgingly admit this is a good fight.

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

Ricardo really has the manga protagonist thing of being A Genius at Working Hard on Fundamentals so I'm not sure how an actual manga protagonist is supposed to beat him!

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

Nilbop posted:

He's not doing actual boxing, he's getting the poo poo kicked out of him.

Like everybody going "Oh this is a good fight now" will instantly be losing their minds the second Wally is back on offense. The dude is an anime trope, not a boxer. Understand that what you like seeing is the monkey king trope getting the poo poo kicked out of it, not that Wally is suddenly "an actual boxer."

Nah it'll still be good if Wally gets back to the corner and Miguel is like "alright, I thought he might start picking you apart with jabs and here's what we're going to do..." and Wally executes that strategy and gets back on top for a while. It'll be bad if he gets back into the corner and Miguel feeds him a banana and it's like Popeye eating spinach.

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

Takes No Damage posted:

:yeah: He's obviously going to lose, but it's not like we've seen him take any major injuries throughout the fight. Nothing like Sendo with busted ribs or Date with a shattered jaw. No reason to believe his life is in danger.

Getting up super quickly from a knockdown and immediately getting downed again is the only concern, but being concerned with TBIs is frowned upon in this manga.

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

Has Sendo ever fought with a coherent strategy other than "gently caress this guy, I'm going to punch even harder then"?

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

Wally alive status: :shrug:

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

Flubby posted:

I just can't imagine them having Ricardo have to bear accidentally killing someone in the ring. He's always been set up as an obstacle, not a villain. I imagine Wally's face has been peeled back from his skull and he'll just retire back to the jungle where his new looks will be accepted.

Or maybe that's an opportunity to flesh out his character a bit more before Ippo fights him, as his character right now is just invincible punchman.

Has there been another fight in this series where a guy was full on knocked out on the way down and landed hard on their head like that?

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Sendo's going to win

Takes No Damage posted:

Surprise twist: the series ender is Ippo V Sendo: Round III :aaa:

The best part of this would be Sendo getting on the mic after he beats Ricardo and calling out Ippo. Especially if Ippo is his second and is in the ring at the time.

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

Centzon Totochtin posted:

Ippo dies to Ricardo and Takamura mysteriously gets a penis transplant shortly after

That's the quickest way to move up a weight class

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

The Wanpo v. cat match is going to convince Kumi that boxing is fun after all.

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

No Wave posted:

Ippo doesnt have a good answer to Kumi's concerns. He's not willing to say that this is worth crippling himself over yet. I dont see her perspective as a drag on him or the story for that reason, he hasnt made his own mind up and it's good to have characters on both sides of an important conflict/decision. (I also just like her as a character period)

He could just say "I have a chance to be the best in the world at something rather than a 23(?) year old virgin who lives with and works for his mom"

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

Well you don't have to worry about it anymore.

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

Ippo is going to come back to boxing because Miyata promises to kiss him if he becomes world champ. Stop overthinking things.

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Like I guess its a "waste" but the only difference without it is the chapter woulda been 11 pages instead of 13. Its not like its taking time from anything it's just a gag thats not really that interesting.

Wanpo eating that counter was pretty good

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

It would be kind of funny to resolve this arc by the coach saying "Brat! Yer unretired! You've got a fight next month!" and Ippo being all "Y-yes sir!"

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

Can he breathe through those things?

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

CharlestonJew posted:

Ippos gonna get the Baki sex powerup

If Ippo gets laid then Ricardo should just meekly hand him the belt along with a heartfelt apology letter.

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

GateOfD posted:

How much does the loser of the match get

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

The 3 weeks break blurb is about the hardest a punchline has ever landed for me in this series. Masterful.

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

Maybe Mashiba will make Ippo fight him before he will accept him as Kumi's boyfriend. Ippo beating the poo poo out of his sparring partners before their important fights has worked out well for them recently!

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

One of the disciples finally comes right out and says it.

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

It's Shibin' time

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

Just put a sign outside the gym inviting in any and all sparring partners!

Also, lol that Itagaki is so prominent in Mashiba's concept of people in his corner. I think they were sparring partners once, but have they interacted outside of that?

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

Eight-Six posted:

we'll have to wait for the spinoff, Itagakimasu

Itagaki's dad better be the main character of that. It's criminal how long he's been absent from the manga.

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

It'll be fun after Ippo beats the poo poo out of two world champions in higher weight classes than him in sparring and still doesn't think he has what it takes to return to boxing.

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

Shinjobi posted:

Yeah if only there was a prominent, recent example of a decades long series being cut short by the very thing people joked about.

I think it's warranted when a series started in 1989 is alleged to only be halfway done, and the story JUST released a chapter when the former boxer has to be reminded that he was, in fact, a boxer, and also there's a break before the next chapter.

A lot of the jokes are probably more due to the incredulous idea of the series being only halfway done but also some frustration at this retirement arc. It's not that it's bad, it has been entertaining. But good lord, it's 34 years of a series and where the hell are we?

Ippo's last fight was in 2018 lol

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

I was thinking it would be cool to show Ippo's growth by having him fight a fast outboxer and win without using his patented "dive in and keep using your head as a shield until you can land a big punch". Like he could actually adopt a strategy to bait out a certain punch and crush the guy with a counter. Using Itagaki as that cannon fodder would just be cruel though.

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

Just Mr. Miyagi-ing himself into becoming the greatest boxer ever.

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

Takes No Damage posted:

It's the Jr that makes it.

Presumably there's also a Randy Boy III through IX at least if Randy Boy Sr. lived up to his name.

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

The shoe making the big step in the second-to-last panel has to be Ippo's, right? I think/hope the big reaction from everyone in the last panel is to Ippo rocking Mashiba's poo poo with a counter.

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

I like Itagaki being jealous because he can't fight serious Ippo and because Ippo isn't 'dating' his sister.

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

Frabba posted:

My coin is dynamite, boom boom boom

Everyone goes broke from one crash crash crash

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

I know they're establishing that the manga has moved to a current timeline, but introducing Rosario just to have him shoot Shinzo Abe seems a little contrived.