Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

YOU CAN NOT BUST THE KRUST

Fabricated posted:

I wouldn't say the artist has a great grasp on anatomy.

Sure, but Keisuke Itagaki (from Grappler Baki) has definitely improved over time. His latest manga, Baki-Dou, features some incredibly good looking artwork. In my opinion, his strength is his emphasis on stylization, facial expressions, and creating dramatic moments during fights.

Do you remember when Morikawa gave everyone chicken legs, with virtually no muscle detail? Mori's grasp of anatomy has been all over the place, too. Fortunately, HnI has been looking much better lately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

Fabricated posted:

This is what I meant about it developing a Grappler Baki kinda look. Body shapes just start looking horrendous, with gangly slenderman looking legs and arms and torsos reminiscent of really really really big man from Rocko's Modern Life.

When you make this comparison, are you referring to the original (older) Grappler Baki series, from the 1990's? When Hajime No Ippo started out, the artwork didn't exactly look amazing, either. George Morikawa's grasp of human anatomy has shifted wildly throughout the entire series, I think we can all agree on that.

Keisuke Itagaki's artwork has improved over time. He's drawing stuff like this for his latest manga, Baki-Dou:

Jedah fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Sep 3, 2015

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

Hajime No Ippo Chapter 1111 (RAW) is out! Some great looking artwork this chapter.
Credit goes to jbondsr of Dynamite Glove.

Jedah fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Sep 4, 2015

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

Centzon Totochtin posted:

3 more chapters out today

Wasn't Iga's strategy the same as Kimura's for fighting Mashiba?

Yeah. That's what I thought, too. How did Kimura not make that connection? It was just like Kimura's Dragonfish blow against Mashiba. Use repeated body shots until the opponent is solely focused only on defending their body, then smash 'em up top with a punch they don't see coming.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

Unfortunately, they'll probably kill off Coach Kamogawa before anybody. That's been hinted at many times before. My guess is that Takamura will eventually conquer all 6 weight classes, then take on Kamogawa's role as head trainer of the gym. I don't see Takamura ever settling down and becoming a family man. Takamura reminds me a lot of young Kamogawa or Nekota. All of them are proud, solitary, and self-motivated.

Maybe Ippo should go hang out with Nekota in order to perfect his new Dempsey.

Jedah fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Jul 12, 2016

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

Huzzah! posted:

Chapter 1164 is out.

The reason you come to Hajime no Ippo, Takamura :dong:. Anyway, Ippo is Top Man now. But is he actually broken? The last page hints at things..

:3:

When you said broken, do you mean overpowered? It looks like Ippo is overpowered again, based on the last two chapters. He needs to be, if he's going to fight with Martinez and friends.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

Huzzah! posted:

chapter 1170 came out. no one cares about 1169

welp, Nagumo is a chump not fit for the world stage and Miyata is like "you lost to that clown? seriously? I had to hold back as not to injure him. Are you broken?"

Spoiler discussion:

I don't buy the whole "broken" subplot, since Ippo has always traditionally sucked at sparring. Plus, they have to show off the new and improved Dempsey roll, right? It's been talked about for hundreds of chapters by this point, and even Takamura admitted that the "perfect" version of the Dempsey Roll would be extremely powerful. I don't know how much longer the author can delay its big debut. Ippo is gonna put somebody else in the hospital, probably.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

Fabricated posted:

He hasn't fought any proper high-level fighters who dip into the entire toolbox. He either fights one-trick ponies or boxing phenoms who are so insanely good they don't need to.

The high-level fighter who dipped into the entire toolbox was supposed to be Alfredo Gonzalez, wasn't it? That boxer had plenty of experience at the World level, and even fought Martinez, the undisputed World Champion.

Edit:
An argument could be made that Date Eiji was also a pretty high-level fighter, too. He was fearless, possessed Dad Strength, had mastered the Heartbreak shot, and all of his boxing skills were polished. If Martinez considered him to be a worthy opponent, that's about as good a compliment as you can get.

Jedah fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Feb 23, 2017

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

Wild Horses posted:

"JUST AS I IMAGINED! HE USES BOTH ARMS, HE'S THE WORST MATCH-UP FOR THE BOY"

:downs:

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

Eustace posted:

It's rare to see a work of fiction that has this much contempt for its main character.

Just to support your point, here's a post I made back in 2009:

Jedah posted:

I agree, Ippo does need a reality check. Everyone saw the Karasawa match and thought, "oh, wow! Maturity! Growth! the main character is becoming a Champion!"

Then, you know, a series of terrible fights happened, and Ippo apparently forgot how to box.

In 2017, Ippo still doesn't know how to box. And I'm pretty sure he still hasn't kissed Kumi, either.

:iiam:

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

The slice of life chapters have always been funny, and Takamura is the best. I kinda wish there was less boxing, and more gag comedy.

Ytlaya posted:

Ippo is going to bang Kumi and became a bolder, more aggressive fighter as a result of finally Becoming A Man.

Didn't that happen in Baki?

Yeah, it worked like a charm for Baki. Unfortunately, Kumi's big bro, Ryou Mashiba, is much stronger now. He's the OPBF Lightweight Champ. So even if Ippo gets his girlfriend power-up, he still has to deal with her monster of a brother.

tbp posted:

Kumi is a babe IMO

Jedah fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Feb 25, 2017

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

Jedah fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Mar 1, 2017

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

ElGroucho posted:

That one fight with the fisherman was dumb as hell.

"Let's see who is the dumbest boxer in the ring! Prepare to fight, dumb rear end in a top hat style!"

just lol if you aren't a MAN OF THE SEA.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

Lamebot posted:

This is.. the new dempsey!

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

Peel posted:

Every time Ippo pushes off his toe it looks like an excruciating injury happening.

All part of the Coach's master plan, it's an expertly trained big toe,

:goonsay:

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

Maybe the author is waiting until #2000 for Ippo to unleash the new Dempsey, and we'll see an explosive win to celebrate the release of the chapter?

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

Wild Horses posted:

ippo, you're such a useless little poo poo.

I love that the Coach specifically says not to worry about using the New Dempsey, and to focus on securing the win. Then, almost immediately after that, Ippo's internal dialogue is: "GOTTA USE THE DEMPSEY!!!! :downs:"

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

Work Friend Keven posted:

Don't really post here much but I just wanted to say I'm enjoying this manga about a man's dreams and body dying fighting against a nobody for no reason.

I'll admit, I'm confused and saddened that you guys stopped posting in the Grappler Baki thread, a much better manga featuring a protagonist who doesn't suffer from traumatic brain damage and who can actually win fights.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

Jose posted:

He's fine lol

:agreed:

It's all a big fakeout, in chapter 2000 he'll probably use the New Dempsey and get an instant KO.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

Chapter 1202 RAW (spoilers)

Glad people are reading the earlier parts of the manga and enjoying it. There's not much to say about this latest chapter.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

Chapter 1202 translation: (courtesy of my friend onepenguin0)

Chapter 1202: The End

Guevara: In this match, he's shown me this low stance repeatedly.
G: What happens next? What do I do?
G: Can he really pull off this attack?
G: I can't use my right. I've only got my left now.
G: Only my left...

G: No!
G: I still have my left!
Ippo: Coach...!!!

Commentator: Third down!
C: Makunouchi has fallen!
C: Just now, the match has ended!
Audience: He... he went down.
A: Makunouchi went down...
C: A comeback loss! It's all too painful; two consecutive losses!
A: He...
A: He lost...

C: The wind god didn't come back!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

frajaq posted:

What other fights were the high points of the series, its been such a long time since I read Ippo...

Date vs. Martinez

Kamogawa vs. Anderson

Kimura vs. Mashiba

Takamura vs. David Eagle

Ippo vs. Karasawa

Volg Zangief vs. Mike Elliot