Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

tbp posted:

im like half sure that the ages in the story are becoming more malleable as time goes on, because otherwise they're not going to make much sense soon. everyone would be older than the story wants them to be for the way that it's told, so i think mori's just gonna be pretty loose with how old the characters actually are from here on out

:airquote: from here on out. Ippo would have had to have been doing like one title defense a month to still be as young as he's portrayed. There is a chronology on one of the fan wikis, says his pro debut against Oda was January 3, 1991, even in-manga dude should be pushing 30.

Some of the dates are obviously estimates, but according to the wiki from April 7 '94 to October 25 '97 Ippo defended his title 11 times. So I guess once every 4 months or so, which is more reasonable but still seems like a lot to maintain for 3.5 years straight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
I had to look up Togashi but yeah HXH and Berserk pacing is killer. At least Togashi has a descent excuse, being the author of one of the most popular mangas ever while being married to the same. Guy could walk into Jump HQ in Tokyo and take a poo poo on the CEO's desk and say 'print that, bitch' and the CEO would bow and say 'yes sir, should that be a color spread or...'

Still, I flip back and forth between having a steady stream of good-to-meh content VS sporadic but kickass chapters.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

OnimaruXLR posted:

Giving Takamura a Behelit Bellend is the exact kind of dumbassed thing I'd expect Ippo to do

Wark Say posted:

I forgot, was Dragon portrayed as weeby/dorky over his love for mahjong on that one scene we saw of him?

Yeah nah, I'm getting heavy Johnny Cage vibes off of him both in personality and design. Could this be subtle foreshadowing to his 'luck' really being a secret illegal ball punch that the ref never sees?

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

TaurusOxford posted:

He definitely looks more sickly than he's typically drawn. Makes me wonder if that's why Takamura is in a rush.

Isn't it explicitly stated in one of his rants to Ippo that he wants to conquer the 6 weight classes while coach is still around to see it? I'm sure I remember hearing his motivation laid out directly like that...

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Only way this gets wrapped up in our lifetimes, never mind Kamogawa's, is if Takamaru gets anime-powered up to latter-day Bleach levels and the rest of his title fights go like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9JOEYxwwbk

or

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9fmrvYXgtY

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Mahjong may as well be Bridge for how much I understand about how its played, but isn't being good at it basically Japanese shorthand for being smart or at least tactically minded or calculating? Like Chess to American audiences?

Also this arc is chump change until they start wagering with pints of their own blood :unsmigghh:

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

:getin:

Also lol that I got as far as Googling 'Ippo Ku' before it autocompleted to 'ippo kumi kiss chapter', so you're not alone in asking. I think they've had several ~hilarious~ near-misses as above, but have yet to properly mack down.

e: Looks like this is as close as they got back in 1011:

I guess it looks like they both agreed they were about to kiss, half credit?

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Feb 16, 2021

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
^^^ :hfive:

Yeah, but wasn't she just internally monologuing about how Ippo seems "fine" now, but that there was something missing from the way he was before? Assuming I'm not making that up it wouldn't surprise me if he continues to resist going active again and it's her support/blessing that pushes him over the edge.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Rubellavator posted:

I'm more worried about Takamura exploding. It's also funny to see Ippo finally reflect on how he reacts to seeing Miyata.

It's just dog genitals all the way down...

e:
Also we appear to be officially diving into the Get Unretired Son arc of the series.

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Mar 14, 2021

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Or his newfound supernatural observation skills will finally allow him to... what's the word I'm looking for... dodge(?) punches. Like, what the gently caress Miyata, it should be EASIER to tell if someone is left handed by watching them in their daily lives :rolleyes:

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

MonsterEnvy posted:

He already did that. It called a forehead block.

Isn't that literally his first fight in the Pro test? Or was that the guy who was throwing fouls like intentional foreheading and Ippo decided that was fine as long as he knew it was coming and could just tank it with his own skull?

In fact, isn't it his very first fight in the manga VS Miyata where he survives a counter by jumping into it so it doesn't have as much power, like Sean Connery charging that torpedo in Hunt for Red October?

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

ccubed posted:

Page 7 is another indicator that the old man is dying soon. "Laughter is good for the immune system."

I caught that too, as did Ippo with his new Super Observation SkillzTM. I thought they used those giant mahjong sticks to throw into the ring and get some crazy lucky hand to psyche out his opponents, but I guess he just likes waving them around during his entrance :shobon:

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Hypocrisy posted:

The fight...is good.

:emptyquote:

Dias posted:

Top-notch dialogue this chapter.

Being able to show a fight progressing clearly without the characters stopping time to inner-monologue and describe everything to the reader is something Morikawa used to be really good at, back around the time Ippo first took the Japanese championship. Hopefully he keeps it up!

Frabba posted:

I know it's probably not the correct literal translation, but I mentally substituted Takamuras dialog on page 9 with "Where is your god now?"

"Don't blame me if you lose..."

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Shinjobi posted:

:wth:

WHOA SOMETHING MAY OR MAY NOT HAVE HAPPENED

Something is GOING to happen. Later. Next time. Maybe.

Rubellavator posted:

time to bring back that theory that takamura is blind in one of his eyes or something

Christ was it like the IRL '90s when that plot point got introduced and then forgotten just as quickly? Their first training camp or something?

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Flesnolk posted:

Isn't it still like 1992 in universe lol

It's like '02 or '03, there was a year on one of the fight posters not too long ago (in universe, probably 2 years ago IRL).

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

MonsterEnvy posted:

It's the year 2000. Takamura is also either 30 or 31 currently.

Could have sworn it was a bit later, but maybe the poster I'm thinking of was JANUARY XX 200X or something like that. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't looking forward to how the HnI gang react to 9/11 :unsmigghh:

MonsterEnvy posted:

It's apparently less of an issue at the higher weight classes cause power is normally the last to go.

Wouldn't that make it more of an issue, a bunch of old guys who can still hit like trucks but can't dodge as well?

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Just gonna.. draw that entire dick, huh George? Vein and all? Well OK then.

mabels big day posted:

Maybe Miyata will take the hint and get himself out of his lovely weight class. Same with Kimura

I thought Miyata already went up a class after getting tired of waiting for Ippo to get his poo poo together. And doesn't Kimura force himself into a lower class so he'll never have to fight Aoki (even though gym members can't fight each other so ? )?

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I mean.............. does anyone in or out of universe really consider them to be in contention for a belt? I guess Kimura took a shot once but he hasn't done dick since. Maybe this is just a pact they made when they were first starting out but aren't they both batting around 500 in what is at least the back half of their careers? Probably putting more thought into this than George did for their last fights...

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Centzon Totochtin posted:

Takamura slips, grabbing Keith dragon's monster dong on the way down, causing him to lose his confidence and ability to box

What just fell out of my trunks? Whoops, looks like I dropped my good luck Magnum CondomTM...

Hopefully we're building up to something substantial, I guess all the fights get like this but it feels like the chapters have been on the light side and there's a break every other week :f5:

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

tbp posted:

fwiw i dont really think the win feels undeserved, keith had taken a huge beating earlier in the match and the last punch was essentially a perfect counter to a haymaker. that poo poo should knock anyone out

Yeah it was a few issues ago but Keith noted that he'd never throw out those huge lefts specifically because they left him wide open, and was only doing so because he thought Takamura couldn't deal with them. But I agreed that is a pretty weak strategy/conclusion to a World title bout.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Well it's not like anyone else has anything going on, maybe that will be the next big 'thing' in the plot.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
How many lavish 2-page spreads do you think George will do to document every second when Ippo finally triumphantly demolishes the line Takamura drug in the dirt that one time :allears:

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

tbp posted:

literally the most unrealistic thing in the manga is that the loving line has been there for like 18 months now

Takamura has the heel of a champion, just, like, world-class heels. You can't expect the Earth to be able to compete with that.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I hope he never gets in the ring again.

He totally is tho, I bet that's where the Aoki being good at mitt training goes; he ends up retiring and becoming a Second instead while Ippo taps back in.

Ytlaya posted:

but the story really needs to get on with it.

What manga are you reading? HnI hasn't had a brisk pace since like the 100s chapters. Though that does make it pretty easy to start a re-read because it's just training fight training fight training fightFightFIGHT THA DEMPTY ROLLU !!!

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I don't think the fight is over.

Yeah no way, he spars with Sendo who is all about that Hard Punch Life, He's doing some secret karate technique to be able to deflect the force or some poo poo.

Unrelated, did the girl Mashiba was walking home have Sharingan eyes?

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Jiro posted:

Spoilers

*Grit, Grit, Grit, Grit, Grit, Grit, Grit, Grit, Grit, Grit, Grit, Grit, Grit, Grit, Grit, Grit, Grit, Grit*

Was going to say, even for Japanese this is some impressive onomatopoeia...

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Rubellavator posted:

Chapter 1358

They're bringing back the opponent from maybe the worst fight in the manga, and lmao if Hoshi just loving died

OH
MY
loving
GOD

e:

DamnGlitch posted:

poo poo, like 12 years ago or so?

Yeah, and it wasn't like a sudden thing since we didn't know who the character was then. But that was the 3rd fight in a series of Indian/Pacific fighters that everyone thought were all the low points of the entire series. By that time Ippo had been defending his Japanese title for like 20 loving fights and we were all sick of it.

So it wasn't a big thread reaction to a specific chapter, just a continual downward slide into complaining and wondering why we were all still even reading it at that point for a few years :smith:

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Oct 20, 2021

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Dias posted:

Ippo's comeback fight is gonna be against Jake Paul Conor McGregor

:smuggo:

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Yeah I made myself sad reading that too :negative:

Context:

Soth posted:

STRETCHIN DIS poo poo OUT. Lets not forget all the other guys having their fights too.

Chapter 2,136 - Miyata and Ippo's Destined Match Intro
Chapter 2,137 - The author dies of old age, SORRY BROS.

Geop posted:

My worst fear is that this happens to Ippo and Berserk! :smith:

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Would be a very different manga if Ippo's attitude had been modeled closer to Mike's. At one point there was a supercut of most of Tyson's pro fights on Youtube and for the first dozen or so he literally just ran across the ring and started punching the other guy as soon as the bell rang. Apparently this was a novel strategy at the time because they looked surprised as hell every time and it just kept working. IIRC, his first 10 fights were 1RKOs, with his 11th being a KO like 5 seconds into R2. Every fight should be the Sendo title fight: bell ring -> Dempsy Roll :getin:

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Flesnolk posted:

Something like half the fights in this series open with one dude just sprinting at the other the second the bell rings

Now imagine if that resulted in an instant KO for like 10 fights in a row. Well, that would have been boring, but also got us through the decades of pointless title defenses a bit faster. Fair trade I'd say.

tbp posted:

if any of you have somehow not read it / heard of it, a story that actually does pretty well at explaining how people grow in athletics is haikyuu. of course we still have our "really good at one thing" characters, but it's pointed out as a flaw

I haven't read the manga but the anime is one of my favorite sport shounen series. I didn't care anything about volleyball but actually ended up watching a series of games in the 2016 Olympics because I could kind of follow what was going on just from watching the show. And yeah it is 'relatively' realistic in how it portrays people's abilities.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

SyntheticPolygon posted:

A couple of chapters ago they were talking about how Imae was doing exactly this.

After posting I did remember that one Itagaki fight that was exactly that strategy, but that was the only specific example I could recall.

Flesnolk posted:

None of them we see on screen IIRC. Pretty much just smash cuts to Aoki or Kimura winning/losing by decision. But it's been a while. Volg's title fight might've been a decision? Oh and Volg vs. Sendo but I couldn't remember if that's a fight we actually see play out.

Yeah was about to say, there's tons of decision fights but that's just used to smash cut to the end so people don't feel like they missed something interesting with a KO. And we do see a good bit of the Volg/Sendo title fight, though not in as much detail as a 'regular' Ippo bout.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
How far our gimmick fighters have come :allears: Back when 'winning on points' or 'holding your breath' or 'eating raw meat' was considered a novel strategy...

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Flesnolk posted:

Jordan Peterson is a boxer?

Eating undercooked meat is the new mohawks, safety pins and football pads. It lets Japanese Boomers know that this guy is Bad NewsTM.

ofuck, Japan probably doesn't have a Baby Boomer generation, and in fact they'd probably interpret that waaaaaaay differently in relation to the end of WWII :ohdear:

Super Rad posted:

Plot twist - last panel is drawn from the mat looking up at Mashiba

That was my first thought too, but his eyes have that shaded in bloodshot look to indicate he's been getting hit a lot. Still not buying that anything's going to happen except the thing we all expect to happen.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I've been reading that Korean The Boxer webcomic that was posted earlier. It's pretty good, a lot more anime than Ippo but it's also moving a hell of a lot faster so an already invincible boxer morphing into an awakened Evangelion during his first title match is a fair price to pay. Also I am LOVING the completely alien censoring rules it seems to follow. Swearing and blood are A-OK but things like knife blades are pixelated. Really having a hard time deciding what benefit that's supposed to provide. Maybe I'll step outside and have a smoke, that sweet clean tobacco will clear my head and help me think...

ohshit nevermind!

e:
:siren:The smoke gets censored too:siren:

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

OnimaruXLR posted:

That's actually something I think is great about Ippo in general. You'll get moments like Ippo literally punching someone's guts out, but it's clear in the next panel that it's just a visual metaphor and not meant to be representative of what's actually going on.

I still wouldn't call it "realistic" but on a spectrum where Slam Dunk is on one end and Prince of Tennis is on the other, Ippo is closer to Slam Dunk

That one time Sendo bit a guy's abdomen off was p.cool.

e:

Hypocrisy posted:

Ippo gave the correct advice.

I like how Itagaki couldn't decide between standing and running, immediately after trying to run and getting caught :doh:

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Um excuse me I think you mean ZAWAA :crossarms:

My money is Mashiba getting into a DAI PINCHE and firing up his samurai spirit by imagining Ippo macking on his li'l sis :wink:
Like Ippo puts his arm around her shoulders for comfort/support and Mashiba goes beastmode and spontaneously evolves the Dempsy Hitman StyleTM.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Garrand posted:

I've probably forgotten something, but I thought she didn't go to the boxing matches?

She used to not, but at some point she started (reluctantly) going to support him, probably around the time he got the whateverweight title.

tbp posted:

one punch for the whole chapter

Computer, improve this fighting manga.

tbp posted:

One Punch, for the whole chapter!

:hmmyes:
(do we not have an oppai smilie? I could have sworn there was one...)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

tbp posted:

well i mean in terms of the first page of this chapter lol. we've honestly one this a few hundred times now, where the explicit text on the last page of the former chapter is "shockingly" revealed to be the opposite in the first page of the current chapter. "mashiba takes a big right!!!" into "actually he blocked"

:thejoke: