Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
So I just bought a house on Tuesday :toot: and I've been doing some fixing up and minor upgrades before I move in. There are two switches in the bathroom. One turns on the light, the other turns on the fan. Pretty standard. However, the light switch also controls power to the outlet(s), which is weird and not optimal. I figured it was just a case of moving the wires around in the switch box to put them in parallel, but that's not it. I'm not sure what's going on here but it was definitely a :siren: moment. I think this was caused by a bad job screwing the cap on the wires, but could it be something else I should be concerned about? I'm also still trying to figure out how to break the switch off the outlet. I didn't think of this until I got home but I think it's also possible that the switch is wired in series at the outlet. So tomorrow I should pop that outlet cover off and check it out.

Regardless, I'm going to try to fish down a little more wire, cut and recap those burned wires.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
All the wiring is copper. It was built in 1950.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
So can I just like, throw another 12/2 romex connection onto a junction box and run it down a wall? There's a junction box right above the wall I need to out an outlet on, but I'm not sure what it junctions to/from. Probably the bathroom and back room but everything is windy and goes under plywood and insulation :shrug:

I guess I could try popping fuses out and seeing which fuse it's on.

e: As an update to my prior burned-wires post. There was not any slack on the wires to pull more down and retwist, so I put a piece of heatshrink over the hot wire nearby and retwisted the two melted ones to make sure they were getting as good a connection as possible. I think I'm going to try and rerun that entire wire assuming I can find where it comes up into the attic. (It should be the junction box mentioned above but I can't find any wires that go down that wall)

e2: I also confirmed that the outlet I was hoping to take off the switch is indeed run off the bathroom light, as another goon predicted. So oh well.

SpartanIvy fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Jun 3, 2018

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

In theory yes, but I want everything in the wall, and to run it from the attic down the wall. Although where I want the outlet is actually the opposite wall of where the light switch with the burned wires are. So now I'm thinking I might just tear out some sheet rock in the water heater closet, and put the water heater outlet box opposite the bathroom switch, rerun the wire from the attic down the wall, and kill 2 birds with one stone. I'd have to put the sheetrock back, but it's in a 20"x20" closet that literally no one but me will see.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Added the new outlet to my water heater closet, and fixed a splice in the attic that was just sitting under insultation. Put everything in a proper junction box and mounted it on a rafter. Redid the wiring 3 times to make sure I had good contact and pretwists on the nuts.

Then I discovered I had spliced it off of the living room fuse instead of the bathroom :negative:

Might just leave it because the whole living room is on a 30 amp fuse and I don't think my TV setup, a ceiling fan, and some lights will ever get close to that.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

shame on an IGA posted:

I can almost promise your whole living room isn't supposed to be on a 30A fuse. Go change it to 15 asap

Maybe?

Oh god does this mean the whole box is supposed to be 30 amps total? :stare:

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

The Gardenator posted:

You should consider replacing that panel. In the interm, make sure your smoke detectors are less than 10 years old and functioning properly.

https://inspectapedia.com/fpe/Federal_NoArk_Electrical_Panels.php

That is a specific problem with the Stablok breaker panels. The fuse boxes are okay. I am considering replacing it and upgrading the rest of the houses wiring as well but it's a very expensive proposal so for the time being I'm making due.

(But yes I do have smoke/carbon monoxide detectors)

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

shame on an IGA posted:

Yeah that box is rated for a total of 30A at once split across 4 circuits which each have individual smaller fuses on them, which is fine as long as the fuses installed are the right size for the wires. 15A on 15A circuit, 15A fuse blows. 12A on each of 3 15A circuits, 30A main fuse blows.

I thought you were talking about a single circuit of regular 15A outlets on a 30A fuse.

Right now it is wired up with 30 amp fuses on all 4 circuits.

So I'm definitely going to be changing those out. Funny thing is the fuses are the old solid glass type so it must have been that way for a long time. I guess that's why none of them have blown.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Hubis posted:

Hey, maybe all his wiring is 10awg v:shobon:v

I wish. The wire heading to the living room was 12 gauge. Not sure if that was the only wire going to it, but I'd bet money it is.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I'm in the same boat. My house is a nightmare right now but it's leagues better than the other houses I looked at.

I think every house is a nightmare, but it's your nightmare. That's just home ownership :shrug:

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

STR posted:

I like the helpful post-it showing "UPS Reset Button" helpfully pointing to the 15 amp circuit breaker built into the UPS. (I have the same UPS powering my modem/router/etc) Also the metal strapping when that UPS has provisions for wall mounting built in...

I wonder how long that UPS could run the lights? 30 seconds? Assuming it didn't just throw its hands up and power off because of overload once it switched to battery?

I would hope the UPS is only there to detect the power being out in the first place and starting the generator to power anything of substance. I have a bigger UPS than that for my PC and it will power it for about 10 minutes before making GBS threads the bed. I imagine a UPS of that size would not even be able to supply an observable amount of power to the house before dying.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

STR posted:

So uh... just gonna quote this gem from OP:

:shepface:

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

shame on an IGA posted:

lol I have 4 15A screw fused circuits for literally everything in my house except the oven, dryer, WH, and HVAC

I put a GFCI on the string behind the kitchen counter a couple weeks ago and the found out the hard way that the fridge, dishwasher, and washing machine are all also on that string.

Please get out of my house.

I also have a couple of breakers in my additional panel that I have no idea where they go to at this time. Not to mention some 220v 15a outlets in rooms that I think are wired to the fuse panel but I have no idea how that's supposed to work and I'm terrified to even touch them.

SpartanIvy fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Jul 25, 2018

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I got a couple quotes on my 900 sqft(although at the time it was believed to be 1100) house and it was around $11k for a full rewire and fuse to breaker upgrade. $5-7k for just a fuse->breaker conversion, although it sounded like they wanted to turn the fuse box into a junction off a main breaker which is not the way I want to do it.

E: also they almost certainly will tear up walls to run wires and their prices probably won't include repairs to it because they're electricians not drywall repair men. So factor in whatever that will cost or be prepared to do it yourself.

SpartanIvy fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Jul 25, 2018

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
For it to be to code you'd have to have access to the junction boxes, so if you were planning to stick them behind a wall or something in the basement that would be a reason not to.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

My house walls are drywall > stud bay > tar paper > exterior siding. There's not even any sheathing (thanks, 1950's construction and mild climate!). So there's no "other side" for insulation to go in.

But yeah, by "smart gizmo bullshit" I mostly meant smart lights/thermostats/etc. I can see the value of running networking cable, I just don't actually really need it currently. But I guess I should designate one closet as a potential server room and make sure it has power and cat5 connections to the other major rooms. That's how that works, right? Single cable runs from a central switch out to each room you want to connect to?

And yeah, the outdoor outlets are another motivating factor for a rewire. Right now there's one on the back of the garage and one on my workshop, which leaves a lot of gaps in coverage. I'd add more exterior outlets myself if there were wires in the walls to run them from, but the walls where I'd want outlets are all devoid of wires.

You are like my house twin. Although mine has brick after the wood siding, and my one rear outlet doesn't work.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Man if those count as vintage I don't even want to post what I've been pulling out of the my walls.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
GFCIs work by tripping if there is a variance in the neutral and hot wires. If the variance is 0.05 amps or more (IIRC) it will trip. This why you can use them in outlets without a ground. If the current isnt going where it's supposed to it will stop it. This does not completely protect you from being electrocuted though. If you are completing the circuit between the neutral and hot wires it'll still fry you. It only protects you from electrocuting yourself from the hot wire and some other ground.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Slugworth posted:

So... how dangerous is it that my pool pump is currently running to an outlet via an extension cord with no ground prong on it?

I've been guessing "kind of dangerous" and turning it off before I go on.

IANAE but I would agree it's kind of dangerous. Grounds exist to give electricity an escape path that's not you when something goes wrong. So if your pool pump has a short it will best case scenario stop working. Worst case scenario is that it would transfer current through the pool (and you) and that would be bad. However, fresh water is actually a real bad conductor so I'm probably more afraid of it than is realistic. With that said I would unplug that bad boy before I jumped in the pool every time. Or put it on a switched outlet. You can never be too safe!

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Afaik there's no code violation as long as everything on that 15A circuit is setup correctly, as in not up-amped somehow.

My 1950 house has 4 15-Amp fuses for the whole thing and one of those is the entire kitchen. Granted my stove is gas, but that does also include a washing machine. I haven't blown a fuse yet though :shrug: I think modern appliances and lighting are pretty drat effecient so it's not a huge concern these days.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Bleh Maestro posted:

I'm trying to figure out what the gently caress is going on with my system. I'm trying to use my heater for the first time since I installed a new thermostat and it seems to just be turning the AC on. I think my heater is either just ancient and I shouldn't have upgraded or I have it wired incorrectly.

On my old thermostat it was wired exactly like this, but I'm realizing now the W/aux connection should have a white wire, and I do not know what the hell the brown wire is because I can't find any wiring diagrams with a brown wire. I have a suspicion it should go into the O or B terminals but not sure. I believe the heater is a water boiler but also not sure on that. I live in a condo and the only things I can physically see are the AC unit outside, the blower fan where I install the air filters, and my water boiler.

Any help or guidance would be tremendous.

Thanks!

This may be a dumb question, but you have switched the thermostat over from AC to Heat, right?

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Bleh Maestro posted:

I probably should have said that because I'm sure I sound clueless, but yes I have.
I wasn't trying to make you sound like an idiot or anything, apparently there are thermostats out there that do it automatically? I've met a few adults that didn't know to change it from AC to Heat so I figured I'd ask just in case.

If you have the old thermostat, could you try hooking it back up to verify the heater works still?

Also, make sure you cut the power when you swap wires around. If the two wrong wires touch it can blow a fuse, or even break your HVAC transformer. I did this in an apartment once when I was installing my own thermostat.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Holy poo poo

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Is there any code against having two 220v plugs on one run? If not I would just wire them together and make sure to only use one at a time.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Just spent the last 2 hours consolidating 3 different boxes of varying out-of-code levels into this one. One of them was a bakelite box that was literally crumbling. So if you have any of those in your house, you might want to check or replace them.

The switch goes to the attic light, which I am going to upgrade to LED bar lights. The GFCI is only powering my security cameras, the middle black wire is powering a little fan in the bathroom, and the 2 black wires on the right go to a transformer that I am 99% sure is powering the door bell chime. So nothing with any demanding amperage. I did use some of those WAGO lever nuts and I have to say, they are SO easy to use. I'd still be leery of using them in a heavy use situation though.

SpartanIvy fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Feb 24, 2019

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Motronic posted:

GET DOWN ON THE GROUND AND PUT YOUR HAND OVER YOUR HEAD WHERE I CAN SEE THEM.

(seriously....good job. Sounds like it was a nightmare before)
Thank you, it means a lot that at least one person besides myself can see it and appreciate it :v:

So in other news, recently my kitchen circuit has been blowing fuses like crazy. For reference I've lived here for 8 months and in the last week I've gone through 3 15-amp fuses for the kitchen circuit, without blowing any before that. So far it's blown when I ran the washing machine and microwave, rice cooker and microwave, and the popcorn air popper and microwave. I know I've done the last 2 several times in the past without issues, so what could be doing it now? The microwave has been the common denominator, but I'm not sure if that's the culprit. I haven't changed power levels or anything on it recently. Nor have I messed with anything hooked up to that circuit.

I can deal with it if it's just a limitation of my very old electrical system, but why did it work fine for so long? I'm worried it's a symptom of something else being wrong with the wiring somewhere else.

e: After looking up the Microwaves specs, it's probably mostly the microwave. The thing uses 13ish amps.

SpartanIvy fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Feb 25, 2019

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

stevewm posted:

Waygos for the win!

Some time ago I made the discovery the builder of my house used a crimp ferrule to hold the ground wires in every switch and outlet box together. Except that they didn't use the proper crimp tool and instead appeared to have just squeezed them together with pliers. Predictably, they where all falling apart. Twice now I have lost ground on 2 different circuits. They also used the backstabs on the outlets, instead of the screws.

And then recently, my cousin plugged in a cellphone charger to a outlet in the guest room which resulted in a large spark and the breaker for that circuit flipping. On further examination I discovered the hot wire had worked its way out of the backstab on the outlet. It appeared to have contacted the ground wire when it fell out.

As a result of this, I spent an entire weekend fixing every single outlet and switch in the house. Moving the wires from the backstabs to the screws, getting rid of all the improperly crimped ferrules on the ground wires and replacing them with Waygos instead. The Waygos really made it easy to repair the ground wires since I had maybe 2 inches of wire coming into the outlet box in most cases. Getting a wire nut on 3 wires when one of them doesn't even stick outside the box is not really possible!
I just used the back stabs for the first time on a few outlets and they looked to be held on by the same screw. Is there something inherently wrong with them?

E: apparently I have "screw & clamp back wire" type outlets which are not the same as backstab, but look identical.

SpartanIvy fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Feb 25, 2019

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

FogHelmut posted:

Further investigation shows this is stupider than it sounds.

edit - the outdoor outlet was full of dead beetles

You fool, those were electrical load bearing beetles!

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Busy Bee posted:

I have three switches for my bathroom. The top left turns on and off the mirror light, the top right turns on and off the bathroom light while the big button on the bottom controls the fan.

Looks like this - https://imgur.com/5GqqXXV

In the last week or so, when I press the top right button to turn on the light in my bathroom, I can hear a little crackling sometimes behind the switch and sometimes the light will not turn on.

What's the issue here and I'm assuming I will have to remove the light switch. How would you recommend I go about this? There are no screws that I can see.

Sounds like the switch has broken or a wires come loose.

After you TURN THE BREAKER OFF, take the switch off and tighten all the wires down and reattach any free wire you find. Should be super easy, but I'm not familiar with that type of switch so I can't say for sure what it looks like inside.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

RabbitWizard posted:

Are you suggesting that he should connect every wire that is found in the box to the switch or am I misreading you here? Because that would be terrible advice.

Maybe my house is the oddity but I've never opened up an electrical box and had loose wires, or at least more than one. So if there are any loose wires they should go to the spot on the switch missing a wire. I feel like this is pretty simple logic.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
That looks a lot like what I had in some of my boxes. In my case under that tape is some gummy material, and soldered wires. It was a pita to deal with but I replaced it with nuts and my house hasn't burned down yet.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I'm a big DIY guy but I would call an electrician for that. You're going to want to pull the meter before messing with a breaker box at the very least. I would anyway.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Can you post a picture of the box in question?

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Definitely an improvement, but keep on improving. My garage is in a similar half assed state.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
You can! But they must be GFCI or Daisy chained off a GFCI outlet.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

mwdan posted:

I just bought a house, and in the living room area on either side of the picture window is a plate with a plug in it.

I'm not coming up with the right way to google this, but the plug says Sierra on it.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/KKdXu1qbWFEBptT76

Anyone know what this is?

I couldn't find anything that matched those pictures, but I did discover that a company called Sierra made a low voltage home system, and I'm betting that's what it's a part of.

https://www.kyleswitchplates.com/sierra-electric-low-voltage-lighting-info/

e: Found this thread, and while I can't see the pictures, it looks like they're describing exactly what you have.
http://www.inspectionnews.net/home_...t-odd-what.html
Consensus seems to be an antenna or antenna related.

SpartanIvy fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Jul 12, 2019

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
So I have a nema 6-30 (250v 30a) plug in my bedroom that is 125v on each prong and uses the ground pin as neutral. I have literally never seen an appliance use this plug but it's apparently a thing.

Anyway, my question is this: would there be any danger or issue if I make a power strip/box assembly that splits each 125v line into separate 125v standard outlets that share the neutral? I don't see why it wouldn't work but I would prefer not to burn my house down.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Yeah I should have specified that most of my house doesn't have grounds because of it's age so I am flush with GFCI outlets and they are the norm for me.

However, swapping out the double pole breaker for a single pole and actually having a grounded outlet available seems like an obviously better move.

I could also put in a second single-pole breaker and use it somewhere else in the house (I'm looking at you, entire kitchen on a 15a fuse)

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

STR posted:

Code doesn't allow you to use anything except a bare wire or a green (or green+yellow) conductor for ground. Not saying you can't do it (if you do this, make sure you relabel that wire with green tape at both ends), but it may be an issue down the road if/when you sell if an inspector opens it up.

Guess what kind of wire the 6-30 plug is using for neutral! (Bare copper in a Romex 12-2)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
The real question is ground on top or bottom