Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
Own a home in a Chicago suburb (Berwyn). Looking for some guidance on code.

My detached garage is currently fed by 14g wire on a 15 amp breaker through a 1/2" conduit. My plan is to setup a sub-panel in the garage so that I can run some fairly power-needy welding equipment. I want the sub-panel to be a 60 amp service at 220v. Essentially, I'm wondering two things. What gauge wire do I need to run from my house panel to the garage, and is the 1/2" conduit going to be up to code, or do I need to dig it up and use a larger diameter conduit? I would love to avoid digging up my yard, obviously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
Upon trying to replace the wall sconce in my bathroom, I found that there wasn't a box in the wall, the old fixture was just screwed into the drywall. With the light I'm replacing it with, this isn't an option. There's a small hole in the drywall to accomodate the bx line, and there are no studs upon which I could mount a box (At least, not while maintaining a center on my mirror).

Does a metal 2 gang old work/rehab box exist? I've seen single gang metal ones, and up to 4 gang plastic ones, but that's it.

Slugworth fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Oct 27, 2009

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

insanity74 posted:

Are you saying that you plan to use a ganged switch box to support a light?

Have you thought about using a Ceiling fan Old Work box? Placed horizontally between the studs, it should be within code.
That's actually a really cool item, but yeah, I went with a ganged switch box, and it seems to be quite solid.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

BeastOfExmoor posted:

I could only come up with about 11 amps of power usage (1000w Microwave, 300w Plasma TV, some CFL lights), but I can also imagine that perhaps the breaker is a bit sensitive (confirm or deny, they become more sensitive as they're tripped?
I may get corrected by an actual electrician, but I was always taught that a circuit can only reliably handle about 80% of the amperage listed, due to resistance in the lines. So a fifteen amp breaker can only be trusted to hold about 12 amps before tripping. So, if you have 11 amps running consistently, all it would take is a little voltage spike (A fridge condenser kicking on), and you're outta luck.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

I got curious and started googling, and found a lot of sites that seem to agree with me, but use a lot of terminology that is over my head.

http://www.rd.com/18099/article18099.html

"As you add up the electrical loads, keep in mind that a wire rated at 15 amps can carry 15 amps all day long. However, 15-amp breakers and fuses can only carry 12 amps—80 percent of their rating—on a continuous basis. Continuous basis is considered to be a circuit loaded to capacity for three hours or more. This 80 percent rule applies to all breakers and fuses."

Again, I might be missing something obvious here. Anyone care to shed some light?

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

PBCrunch posted:

I bought a ceiling fan for the spare bedroom in my house. The existing lighting fixture is a plain old light.

Step one of installing the fan is to screw the mount into the fixture box in the ceiling. The problem is that the holes for the screws in the fixture box are closer together than the holes for the screws in the mount that came with the fan.

Is there some kind of adapter I need to buy to make this work? I tried looking for a stud around the fixture but the stud finder found nothing. I tried drilling a couple of holes in spots that I figured would end up covered by the ceiling fan trim ring anyway but still found no studs.

What do I do?

Thanks
Can you post a picture of your existing fixture box? I've installed 4 or 5 fans in older homes in the Chicago-land area, and each time had to buy one of these products to get it hung

http://www.westinghouselighting.com/pdf/pdf_decelec07/SafTPan.pdf

I took off all the nuts holding the original pan inside the fixture box, popped the new one on, and the fans mounted perfectly afterwards. It's a moot point however, if the fixture box really isn't mounted to a stud. Do you have access to the attic/crawlspace above the room?

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

kid sinister posted:

In other words, it has a feature that every GFCI receptacle has built in already.

You should see my sister's place. Apparently the previous owner didn't know that you can daisy chain regular outlets off of them when he was renovating. She has 1 circuit going out to her garden shed outside. In it there is a 2 gang outlet box... with 2 GFCIs.
Does doing this occasionally cause problems with the second GFCI in the line tripping constantly? I replaced a regular outlet with a GFCI, not realising it was already tied into a GFCI elsewhere, and it trips constantly. Haven't had a chance to try just throwing a regular outlet back on.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Not a question, just a complaint that could really only be posted here. I had to do demo yesterday in a house where instead of running romex or conduit through the joists, they just ran 14ga wire in the gaps between sheets of drywall, then mudded over it. How in the name of christ can someone who is capable of wiring up a basement be that absolutely retarded?

So, I guess there was a question after all.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

The power company installed a new pole behind my garage with three huge.... things on it, which look nothing like transformers. My neighbor says the crew told him they were generators and would aid in our power getting restored quickly during outages. My question is, does the term generator have a different meaning in this context? I am assuming these are not gas powered generators, but.... maybe?

Also, there is a braided copper line running down the pole which I assume is the ground. It was recently hacked apart by a scrapper, and the power company won't respond to calls I have made to get it fixed. This is a fairly serious issue worth correcting, no?

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

http://imgur.com/kKihQRc

Linked for size.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

I am beginning to wonder if my neighbor was perhaps drinking when he spoke to the crew. I was really hoping I had some magic boxes that would get my power back up quickly in case of emergency. Ah well.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Bobulus posted:

Here's something to make the thread laugh/cry:

I was hoping I could get a look at the wiring setup of my new rental by going through the ceiling tiles into the tiny attic visible from the street. ...nope.

Turns out I have a real ceiling, it just looks like poo poo, so they put up a new one, six inches lower and extended the wires for the ceiling fixtures. :gonk:
Outside of basements, this is always the case with drop ceilings. Always lovely plaster above.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

I installed a gangable box at my parents' and when I went to install an outlet in it, the conduit locking nut blocks the outlet from fitting in. The placement of the knockouts is such that they will all have the same issue, and I can't find a thinner outlet. I have accepted that I will need to replace the box, but.. why does this box exist? Purely out of curiosity, what would be the intended purpose of a box so shallow that the thinnest outlet won't fit in? Are they intended to be junction boxes only? Or is the fact that I am using conduit the issue? Would Romex fix the problem? (I am in the Chicagoland area - Romex is an urban legend here)

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

kid sinister posted:

Did you still need help? It sounds like you're using a switch box for a receptacle. With conduit fittings poking inside, those things will barely have enough room for a switch. I would recommend trying a deeper box, if the wall and conduits allow it. That way, the fittings would be mounted back far enough to cram an outlet in.
Ahh, I guess I never noticed switches to be much thinner than outlets. That would explain it. Thanks

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

I am gonna be installing a 40 amp, 220 circuit soon for a friend's new oven/microwave combo (which is apparently a thing). I have done a fair bit of 110 work, but never 220. I am assuming it'll be a 4 wire setup, two to the breaker, one to the neutral bar, and one to ground. Anything fundamental that I am missing? 8 gauge wire for a short (probably less than 20 feet) run? Proper double breaker as well.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

I read that if a 220 device is not within sight of the panel you need a disconnect (which an outlet would count as) - Is that accurate, in case I end up hard wiring it?

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

kid sinister posted:

So if your panel door locks shut, you don't need a disconnect. If it doesn't but you install a tiny hasp with padlock on it, you don't need a disconnect. If you have a utility closet and can lock it shut, you don't need a disconnect.
Perfect. The panel is in a lockable room. Thanks a ton everyone.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

I went to help a friend with some electric while he is remodeling his kitchen, and, well, his electric is hosed. Every circuit controls stuff spread all over the house for one.

The most hosed however, is one box in his kitchen soffit. It was an outlet, but was also serving as a junction. Very crowded box, connected to four runs of conduit. One run was a foot long bit of abandoned flex with a neutral and a hot. Both wires were showing as hot with my simple little voltage detector (not meter). I disconnected the neutral from the big bundle of neutrals - At this point we are discussing a foot length of wire inside flex, not attached to anything at either side - Voltage detector is saying it is hot. I disconnect the hot wire, and thankfully the laws of physics kick back in and both lines go dead. I am assuming somewhere in the flex, both wires were bare?

I continue taking the box apart, and ultimately find that two of the five black wires nutted together are hot. Both of them, as it turns out, are hot unless 3 separate breakers are turned off simultaneously. All 3 breakers are on the same side of the panel, but not next to each other if that matters.

I did what I could (relocated the box so he could remove the soffit, put it all back how it was, minus having one of the mystery hots now capped by itself, abandoned in the box) and told him to hire an electrician. I don't think he is going to.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Is there a chance that when installing a 2 pole 220 breaker I may end up without 220 based on where it is in the panel? My dad spooked me by suggesting it, but I can find nothing online saying it's possible. I know with 3 phase panels you need to be careful with breaker placement, but residential seems pretty idiot proof.

He is a long-ago-former electrician - Was this perhaps an issue with older residential panels?

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

kastein posted:

Any reasonably modern panel you will be fine with. I can't even think of any old panels this would be true on... basically the lugs for the breakers are set up so they are connected to alternating hot legs, so any two adjacent slots are going to be on opposite hot legs.
Some more extensive googling has revealed that there is one brand of panel on which this would be an issue - Federal Pacific. They were apparently popular while my dad would have been in the trade and were apparently so awful that they have largely been replaced where installed. Mystery solved.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Yesterday I replaced a stove hood with a above range microwave. This entailed taking the existing electrical connection for the hood, and converting it to an outlet for the microwave. Everything seemed fine. This morning, I discovered my fridge wasn't running, the microwave was intermittently shutting off, and some lights in the house were super dim. My dad (former electrician) came over and discovered that one of the legs feeding the breaker is dead before the meter. I've got the power company coming out. Questions I failed to ask my dad while he was here -

There's no way I killed a leg by installing an outlet, right? I get that the timing strongly suggests I did, but I really can't figure out how I would have. The connections are secure in the new box and the box feeding it. I taped every connection and the outlet itself, there was never any indication of a short, etc.

Half my breakers are reading at like 60v or so. If the leg is dead, where are they getting this power? The only 240v breaker is turned off, so the live leg wouldn't be feeding the dead one through there, right? The main, maybe?

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

kid sinister posted:

Unless you rooted around inside your main panel while you were doing your microwave work, then you couldn't have caused a problem affecting all your circuits. It sounds like one of your split phases is out of whack. Is every other breaker vertically testing at 60V, while the ones between are fine? Test for voltage between both the hot lugs. That should be 240v.

What did you mean "only 240v breaker"? Does your panel have a main breaker, or are you talking about breaker for the AC or electric dryer?
Sorry, I meant my AC breaker. There is also a main, which I suppose would be 240v as well, huh? And yeah, every other breaker vertically is at 60v. Or, was - Poco came out, confirmed it was a dead leg, and replaced my meter with a jumper plate (probably not the right term) so I've got 120 back throughout the house. No 240 (and thus, no air conditioning) until at least Monday though, as my service is underground and will require some excavation.

But hey, at least it wasn't something I did, or something I need to pay for.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

angryrobots posted:

....they aren't fixing it until Monday? That's loving insane.

Anyhow, was your kitchen designed for an above stove microwave? Minimum 66" from floor to top of the microwave. I ask because I see a lot of them retrofitted, and too close to the range.
They actually surprised me by showing up to fix it today, and I now am back to normal. My hat's off to you, ComEd.

And thankfully, yeah, I've got 69 inches to the top of the microwave - I was admittedly unaware of that restriction though. The only specification I saw in the manual was that the cabinet bottom had to be 30 inches off the cooking surface. Although given a standard oven/counter height, that probably works out to 66" total, so there you go.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Alright folks, a head scratcher. I have yet to see this, but my girlfriend reports that if she is using the oven (gas) and then runs the microwave, the circuit breaker trips. A gas oven can't possibly be appreciably drawing more power while cooking, can it? I mean, the power draw would be.... a thermostat?

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

kid sinister posted:

Is she using the oven or the range? Which is electric and which is gas?
Oven, and unless I'm fairly well confused, the whole thing is gas - The outlet is only 120v. I thought maybe I had figured it out, and that what was causing the trip was her microwaving while using the exhaust fan built into the microwave, but no, apparently the exhaust fan was not running either time. The fridge is on the same circuit, for what it's worth, so it's definitely got a bit of a load on it. I just can't figure what a gas oven is doing to be that last straw.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

drat you, glow plug! That certainly sounds like the likely culprit. I assumed the oven lit with a little piezo like the stove top burners.

And not GFCI or AFCI. In any case, I guess I'll need to see about running a new circuit, assuming the very crowded conduits in this place aren't at code capacity.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

chef posted:

I need to replace a dimmer switch that is broken- the old switch only has two wires, while the new one has three, adding a green ground. My plan is to follow the wiring diagram for the hot and neutral wires, and just cap off the green one on the new switch and call it a day. Sound ok?
Only if your electrical is 100% done in conduit and metal boxes. It will work without the ground wire, but it won't, you know, be grounded.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

See how the box is metal? See how there's a small hole in the back of the box that a screw could go in? Get a green ground screw and screw your green wire to that. It is foolish, dangerous and against the law to do otherwise.
Not saying you're wrong, just asking for my own education - Using the box for ground requires that there be conduit from the box to the panel, right? But if that's the case, then doesn't simply screwing the device itself into the box ground it?

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

mastershakeman posted:

Is this a joke post or like a real Midwest thing? I need to open up my outlets just north of Chicago and am praying for this on my 68 year old house
Unions in Chicago are real good at making sure work stays complicated enough that they stay busy. The plumbers fought pvc for a good while too. I love conduit though, and having just moved to Will county, was very happy to find that most of my house (minus recent owner additions) is conduit.

But I was legitimately weirded out walking down the electric aisle at the nearby Home Depot and seeing blue plastic boxes for the first time in my life. Like, I knew they existed, but Chicago area depots don't carry them.

Slugworth fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Sep 14, 2016

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

minivanmegafun posted:

As far as I'm aware, in Chicago, water lines must be copper, and waste cast-iron.
Waste can be pvc, but supply does have to be copper. (I'm not a plumber, but I've torn up a lot of houses in Chicago and Cook county).

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

kid sinister posted:

They don't like smurf tube in Chicago?
You coming on to me?

Just looked up smurf tube, definitely never seen that in a wall around here, but honestly I'm not sure I've ever really seen any elaborate low voltage stuff installed. Which in retrospect is strange, considering how many fancy-dancy homes I've done demo in. If the rich aren't filling their walls with smurf tubes, who is?

.... It's all in Silicon Valley, isn't it?

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Okay, checking in that I'm not royally loving things up here. A few questions!

First off, turns out the armored cable / flex cable I got from the scrapyard has red, white, and bare conductors. Is this okay, or do I have to have a black conductor for the hot line? It's my understanding that red is an alternate, if rare, indicator for hot, and usually used for switched legs. But I doubt anyone would be confused by the colors in my boxes.

Second, the building department required me to have a motion-activated light installed outside the workshop. I drilled through the wall to provide a pathway for the light's wires, and then mounted a box over the hole using one of the rear punch-outs. The wires for the light just go through the hole and into the box, no connector or anything. Is that okay? It seems like it'd be potentially possible for wires to rub on the wood fibers and eventually wear through. If it's not okay, what kind of connector do I use here? NB the weight of the light is born by the house frame, not by the box.

Last, general feedback on my technique so far. I'm setting up the lighting circuit, so I've run wire from the (not-yet-hooked-up) panel, to a junction box, which goes to a) the motion-activated light, and b) the lightswitch. The lightswitch's "output" wires will then go to the indoor fixtures.

Thanks everyone for your advice!
I'll let someone more knowledgeable weigh in on the light wiring (my gut says you're gonna get dinged on it though), but a comment on the wiring above the door - Am I getting you mixed up with someone else, or did you say you wanted this shop to be easy to finish at some point in the future? I wouldn't have surface mounted conduit in that case.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

I'm happy to fix up the wiring for the motion-activated light, I just don't know what the proper solution is. Put a very short bit of conduit in there with an insulated throat?
What I would have done is, rather than an interior box where you have it, an exterior surface mount box outside at the light location, then obviously you just run your conduit through the wall as needed.

Or cut out a hole in your siding for your existing box, and spin it around to face the exterior. Seal between the box and siding and any exterior light fixture will come with a gasket for the seam between fixture and box.

But before you do any of that, let's hope one of the pros in this thread comes along and says your current setup is fine.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

So you'd've used a box too? Hrm. I guess maybe I could cut a hole in the siding to fit a box into, so the light wouldn't protrude so far from the wall. It's a lot of extra work compared to the flush mount, and I suspect still wouldn't look as nice.

At least there's no time limit on all this stuff; I can go back in and fix the light whenever as long as I do it before final inspection.
He was commenting on the conduit above your door, not on the other issue (which is a bummer, cause now I'm curious and want someone smarter than me to weigh in).

For what it's worth, unless I'm wildly misunderstanding the fixture you've chosen, cutting a hole for the box is still going to result in a flush installation, same as a wall sconce inside your house or a ceiling fixture. You'll just be mounting to a box that is flush with your siding instead of the siding itself.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

kuddles posted:

I have a thermostat (not installed by me) attached to one fan heater in the basement and for various reasons it makes the heater cycle on and off every 3 minutes or so. It's a cheap thermostat and I also think it couldn't have been installed in a worse place in terms of moving air. Is there a simple method of disconnecting the thermostat from the heater so that I can just use the manual knob on the heater? I've tried googling this, but it just gets me to instructions of how to install a new thermostat.
Without seeing the thermostat, and how it's installed, specifics are tougher, but a thermostat is just a fancy switch - Take both of the wires off of it, tie them together with a wire nut, and you're done.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Oh, I guess I should specify my instructions apply to the sort of simple thermostat you see attic ventilation fans hooked up to, not the type that control furnaces.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Code in my area is that garages/shops need gfci at all heights. Absolutely no clue why, some light googling suggested it has to do with those areas being more likely to have high power devices in use, which still doesn't make sense to me.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Crotch Fruit posted:

Stop being a pussy and learn how to plug poo poo in? TRs are seriously not that bad.
There are the occasional ones, whether it's the brand, or just a bad individual outlet or whatever, that are hard enough to use that I would bet over time, you are gonna damage the outlet or the box that the outlet is in. Plus it's just annoying.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Theoretically the box is grounded, but if not, a non contact voltage meter would do the trick.

Tortilla Maker - There's a decent chance you are correct, but by the same token, doing electrical work without a meter of some sort means hoping the guy before you actually color coded his wire correctly.

Slugworth fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Nov 6, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Tortilla Maker posted:

I had wired the darker cable to black and the slightly lighter one to white. Turned the power back on and the receptacle tester indicates it's wired correctly.

I do have a non contact voltage meter (which I used to make sure I had cut off power to that outlet). For future reference, are you all suggesting that to test which wire is active, I would turn the power back on after dismantling the outlet to test the exposed wires?
Exactly. That'll tell you beyond a doubt which is the hot. Well, usually - They can be sensitive enough to pick up current on the neutral occasionally.