Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Becktastic
Feb 6, 2009

Failure is impossible
I went down on a borrowed TW200 last Sunday. I was riding with the local adv rider club up the back of Mt Lemmon. It was only my second time out on dirt and everyone else was very skilled. I was doing a fair job of keeping up, then I started having waaaay too much fun hopping off of hills and flying up the mountain...then I came to a steep downward slope with a tight gravel covered turn at the bottom. I don't know what exactly I did wrong, probably a little of everything. I braked to about 35mph before I went over in the turn. My gear did it's job, except my jacket, which slid up and left my exposed hip grating on the ground. This was worsened by a small rock which decided to embed into my flesh and left me with something resembling a bullet wound.

I got back on and rode the rest of the way to the top without incident...with a little more caution and a little less worry over slowing down the group.

The bike has some scratches but is otherwise fine. Those little buggers can really take a beating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Becktastic
Feb 6, 2009

Failure is impossible

NoCleverName posted:

Are you up to date on tetanus? If not, you definitely want to be, that's a pretty deep wound.
Yeah, I did some third world country travel and I'm pretty much vaccinated against everything.

It looks even nastier than the picture now. A lot of yellow bruising and black scabbing in the deep part. As long as there's no puss it's probably healing okay though right? I showered, cleaned with alcohol (don't ever do that, it hurts.) and have been smothering with antibiotic ointment periodically.

Becktastic
Feb 6, 2009

Failure is impossible
Haha there were cows around...but I'm pretty sure even poo poo is baked sterile after about 30 minutes in the Arizona sun.

Becktastic
Feb 6, 2009

Failure is impossible

Phy posted:

At the start of my vacation a couple weeks ago, I dropped the Weestrom in a park access road. Slow speed, little damage other than cosmetic - a few plastic bits at the front got scuffed, as did my pants and jacket. The crashbars and sidecase took most of the hit - more scuffing, no deformation. It wasn't near enough to stop me from continuing on, so obviously I'm pretty pleased with how things worked out. I even used the case for the rest of the trip, and there's a bit of a story about that unfortunate bastard.

What I want to know is, what should I do about the scuff to the crashbar? It's steel, and it's already rusted a bit. I'd kind of like to steel wool off the rust, and then apply some sort of clearcoat, is that feasible? Or should I look at getting it ground relatively smooth and repainted or powdercoated?
Leave it. Battle wounds are cool on dual sports!

Becktastic
Feb 6, 2009

Failure is impossible

Tsaven Nava posted:

Abso-loving-lutely. And really, any sort of large animal on the side of the road, I loving idle past, be it deer, horses, cattle, anything. Every time I see one, I flash back to the OZYMANDIAS thread on ADV.
Oh God that thread is heart breaking. In my sculpture class we have to make a sculpture based on writings of some sort and I chose his. Reading over them pains me every time, but hopefully I will have a nice memorial when I am done.

And yeah, I think of him every time I see a Wildlife Xing sign and I slooooow down.

Becktastic
Feb 6, 2009

Failure is impossible
I'm just impressed if the suspension can actually handle that kind of load.

Becktastic
Feb 6, 2009

Failure is impossible
Here is what happens when a newbie tries to ride her KLR to Sibley Mansion

The hill was steep as hell and composed of large rocks loosely piled atop one another. I tried the -quick like a bandaid- approach and nearly made it. Would have been cool as hell, but I bounced off a particularly large rock and went down. Sorry no pics of the actual spill. I was geared to the gills, Fox Dakota pants, A* shortie MX boots, knee pad/shin guards, A* Stella Bionic 2 body armor, Alpinestars gloves, Zox Genisis helmet.

No idea what caused the three tiny scratches on my arm. That bruise is on my right thigh. Got off pretty easy considering.

Becktastic
Feb 6, 2009

Failure is impossible

Tindjin posted:

Glad you are okay Becktastic. Gear is goooood. ;o)

I've done that a couple times in the mountains around here especially when coming to a section that goes from nice hard pack to a silty soft sand where the road bends.

Damage doesn't look bad, it just sucks the new klrs are so platic covered now.
Yeah, new shrouds are $150, I found a used one on ebay that will run me about $70 with shipping, but it's all scuffed and has a crack. :/ I can't decide which is the better deal, I feel pretty shafted either way. My dad is going to take a look at the bike and possibly fabricate metal cowls for me, not sure if there's anything that would be protective enough while staying lightweight. If not, maybe he can make me some crashbars, all the aftermarket ones are being dissed for bending in too easily and breaking the plastics anyway.

niethan posted:

Does your jacket have a zipper at your wrist? I had the same scratches when I crashed my bicycle wearing a leather jacket with zippers on the wrist.

Nope, just elastic on that one.

It's the best dirt armored women's jacket I could find:

I love the hell out of it, those little scratches are the only scrape on my upper body.

Now I'm looking into those padded under shorts. You can never have enough armor!

Becktastic
Feb 6, 2009

Failure is impossible

redscare posted:

What you should do is trade it in for an 07 or earlier that doesn't have all of those ridiculous and unnecessary plastics :)

I don't know WTF Kawasaki was thinking when designing the new KLR. "Hey guys, you know what this bike that is meant to be used off-road and will probably be dumped relatively often needs? FAIRINGS!"
But it's -pretty-! :swoon:

I found a cheap replacement on ebay but they shipped me the wrong side! Let me keep it though, so now I have an extra...which is extremely good because I fall a lot and yeah, they break easily.

My dad and uncle are welders though and they are going to try and make some shroud/crash bars to replace the plastic with lightweight but strong metal. We shall see!

Becktastic
Feb 6, 2009

Failure is impossible

SpeedFreek posted:

Too many people crashing street bikes in this thread, when I crash I like to eat dirt instead.

Well, any sort of down on the street counts as a 'crash' if I was so liberal with what I considered a crash in the dirt, I'd be posting here almost every weekend.

Becktastic
Feb 6, 2009

Failure is impossible

Becktastic fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Jan 24, 2012

Becktastic
Feb 6, 2009

Failure is impossible
Thank you all for the get well wishes :) My legal council suggests I STFU about any details for now, I'll let you know how it turns out when all is said and done.

Deleting any quotes of me would be appreciated too!

Becktastic
Feb 6, 2009

Failure is impossible

Anarchist posted:

It's not a full spiral fracture, a mostly clean brake with a slight twist at the end. I am positive it would have been much worse with out the boots. They tried to set it in a cast but its not stable enough because the slight spiral fracture. They gave me ketamein so they could try and set it.. That was interesting to say the least. I havent been able to get clear answer on recovery time but its hovering around 8 weeks. Oh well, still above the dirt. Could have been a whole lot worse. Ill post xray pics when i can :)

Yeah I think my recovery was supposed to be 4-6 weeks...it's been about three months so far and I -still- can't get a clear answer from anyone...and haven't even started PT.

Don't go buying a new bike til you know when you can ride it. I almost bought one right away and now I'm glad I don't have to stare longingly at it every day.

Becktastic
Feb 6, 2009

Failure is impossible

Safety Dance posted:

Edit: It looks like it's your arm not your leg and this was back in January, yes? I've never broken one of those, so I don't have any good advice for you beyond that if you've been cleared to use your arm, use that mother as much as you can stand.

Yeah, this is me:

And I seriously can't -wait- to use my arm. They ended up having to do surgery (after waiting months to see if it might heal without, so that's why I'm back at square one). Very frustrating. I'll post a pic of my metal when I get my x rays next week. They went wild in there, I have two plates, like a dozen screws and some gnarly incisions that look like I tried to off myself.

:emo:

Becktastic
Feb 6, 2009

Failure is impossible

Safety Dance posted:

I am very much not a physical therapist, but you might want to try some of these if they don't assign you physical therapy: http://www.livestrong.com/article/22825-exercises-fractured-wrist/

Sucks they decided to wait a long time before going back in with screws and plates.

I'm sure they will, but thanks for the link. Once I can start moving this thing, you bet I'll be doing PT as often as they let me and as much as I can at home too. I want nothing more than to get back in the gym and start rock climbing again. I don't know how I feel about riding just yet. I'm sure I will still enjoy dirt riding, but on the street in my car I scream every time anyone turns left in front of me and I'm afraid on a bike I would overreact to everything and hurt myself. I think the mental stuff may take longer to fix than the physical.

My doctor wanted to operate right away, but everyone said it might heal fine without. I guess he couldn't get approval til he waited and things actually slipped out of place like he said they would. I'm just hoping it heals right this time, because even with the plates he said there's a chance it will slip again. I guess because the fracture is complex and close to the end of the bone.

Becktastic
Feb 6, 2009

Failure is impossible
Beep boop I am a robot.

Becktastic
Feb 6, 2009

Failure is impossible

Aargh posted:

I've always wondered - do you need to carry xrays when you fly? Or doesn't it set off metal detectors

I heard something about a card you can get? I went through a metal detector recently though and much to my surprise it didn't beep. Someone said the new metals (titanium? You think I'd know what's in my own arm, but I don't) won't set them off.

Becktastic
Feb 6, 2009

Failure is impossible
Hey all. I had a pretty bad accident back in January and now that my legal case is settled and over with, I can finally talk about it. I wrote a pretty detailed blog post HERE and I'm going to have some more coming up with advice on insurance, lawyers, doctors and stuff. I'm really thankful that everything ended up okay for me, because if anything I learned that had the scenario gone down just a tiny bit differently, I would have been really screwed over.

One tidbit for now: Make sure you have Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist coverage. Seriously, stop what you are doing right now and check your policy and if you don't have it, call and add it RIGHT THIS MOMENT. Because the last thing anyone needs is a busted up body, a totalled bike and crushing medical debt.

Becktastic
Feb 6, 2009

Failure is impossible

An observer posted:

Holy moly. That's one hell of an experience. I'm really glad you made it out ok. Can you explain a bit about insurance? I don't have a bike yet, or even a car, so the only insurance I've got is health. Not too savvy in all this bureaucratic bullshit.

I'm going to make a more developed post on it, but the gist is this (in Arizona at least) the minimum required insurance is $15k/$30k/$10k, that means 15k per person coverage, 30k per accident and 10k property damage (your bike+farkles).

Now, estimates say 15-40% of drivers are UNINSURED...how many of the rest probably have the bare minimum? I would guess over 90% of them.

So if you are riding along and a jackass turns in front of you, chances are he has no insurance or you can maybe sue his insurance for $15k. My medical costs were over that ON THE FIRST DAY.

See why you need UNDERinsured too?

I really had no idea about these things and just had the minimum, now I carry a $100k policy on all my vehicles so if I somehow cause harm to anyone else on the road, I'll be sure they're taken care of.

You will want to ask your insurance specifically in your state, as some things seem to indicate Uninsured/Underinsured terminology means protection for the vehicle in some states and they have PIP (Personal Injury Protection) for medical expenses.

Yes, it's all very convoluted.

And also, health insurance doesn't necessarily mean you're covered either (and again, this may vary by state). I have health insurance, but the hospital puts leins on the settlement for the whole billable amount -before insurance-, meaning they get paid before you do. They get paid as though you didn't have health insurance you pay for every month. So you really need coverage for the whole dollar amount. It is -extremely easy- to rack up tens or even hundreds of thousands of dollars in pre-insurance medical debt. And while no amount is ever 'worth it', getting a chunk of money at the end helps make it suck a little less.

Tidbit 2: Get a lawyer. A good one with experience in motorcycle accidents. I wouldn't just jump to one of those guys who advertise as being riders though, ask around. The best lawyers don't need to advertise and they are less likely to push you through the system on whatever gives them the most profit with the least effort. I found mine through a friend and he was fantastic.

Becktastic
Feb 6, 2009

Failure is impossible

Saga posted:

Becks, can I recommend a sham marriage and emigration to somewhere with civilised-world healthcare?

Is this an offer? :wink:

After some months of dealing with the shitpile we call the American Healthcare System I was pretty much in a panic about needing to leave the country ASAP. I've calmed down a little now that everything settled (and in my favor much better than I originally expected), but I do know I don't want to grow old here. Being injured in this country was seriously the worst experience of my life.

I think the best example was the day after my accident when I had to return to the ER. Blog post about that HERE

Becktastic fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Oct 12, 2012

Becktastic
Feb 6, 2009

Failure is impossible

An observer posted:

Your best bet is probably Canada. Anywhere else worth moving to has insane levels of restrictions on immigration. You can tell I've spent a good amount of time researching this :eng99:

Well I think you can immigrate just about anywhere if you go the sham marriage route. I really like Canada/Canadians, but I detest winter...this greatly limits my options.

Central America is really easy to immigrate to and much warmer. Well, you don't really immigrate so much as just move there and live there and no one asks you to leave. I could totally live in Honduras or Nicaragua.

I'm not sure how much of an improvement it is on the medical front though. Cheaper at least.

Becktastic
Feb 6, 2009

Failure is impossible

Saga posted:

I nominate Ola - gentleman, scholar, raconteur and friend to immigrants, according to the three long-haired Thai gentlemen with winsome hips and curiously high-pitched voices who live under his bed.

Maybe I can get my own television show where hot dudes on bikes compete in a series of gauntlet-esque riding challenges to win a sham marriage and RTW trip with yours truly. It's like Romaniacs meets The Bachelorette.

Becktastic
Feb 6, 2009

Failure is impossible

Backov posted:

Goons not good enough for you eh?

The two aren't necessarily mutually exclusive, go cruise the ultimate transformation thread in YLLS :swoon: It's hard to tell who's hot in CA, we need a post yourself with your helmet off thread. :cheeky:

Becktastic
Feb 6, 2009

Failure is impossible

Kenny Rogers posted:

I have a zebra striped DRZ that I can offer as a dowry. :v:
You'll have to teach my GF how to ride, though.

Wait.

Nevermind. I live in Colorado. We have something that passes for "winter" here.

Wait.

Nevermind. That's an excuse to buy a Ural GearUp.

You'll still have to teach Audrey how to ride, though.

I'm not sure your Colorado citizenship will solve my problem. :cheeky:

I would still teach your gf to ride though. Chickfest (a big event for girl dirt bikers) is held up there near Salida. Unfortunately they didn't have it this year and I'm not sure it will happen again since the Forest Service deciding to harass everyone last time.

The cool news is I'll be in Denver Nov 1st, the bad news is it's for arm surgery and I'm not sure I'll be in any shape to teach anyone anything before I head to San Diego.

Becktastic
Feb 6, 2009

Failure is impossible
Hey all! No, my ring finger isn't freakishly deformed from my accident. :P It just looks weird there because I am doing physical therapy, holding a couple hammers and tipping them side to side to work on flexibility. I had a second surgery November 1st to remove my metal and scar tissue that built up between my forearm bones and my arm is feeling and moving a million times better. It was definitely a good decision for me. I had so much scar tissue before that I could barely twist my wrist and the metal ached constantly and I was always banging it on stuff. Plus I had two huge scars from the first surgery. I saw a different (and much better) surgeon for the second surgery and he basically fixed everything the first guy messed up. He even cut out the old scars and resealed the wounds cleaner, so my scars look better after one month of healing than the last ones did after almost a year. It is also back to nearly full range of motion now, when it only had about 20% ROM before, after months of physical therapy. Good surgeons make all the difference! If you live in CO and break your poo poo, go see Dr. In Sok Yi (I actually flew back to see him because he was so much better than anyone I could find in Austin, Tucson or San Diego.(I've been roaming around a lot))

The only lovely part about having the second surgery is that I now have 15 large holes where screws used to be, making my forearm bones resemble swiss cheese and so I am under strict orders not to ride or do anything else fun where I might be at risk of falling on my hand for the next month or so.

Becktastic
Feb 6, 2009

Failure is impossible

Saga posted:

I think it's nice of Ambihelical Hexnut to let you live in the garage. Do you have your own hook?

Great news about your arm. 20% sounds awful. :stare:

I don't understand the hook question, but I keep visualizing a large metal hook a la Peter Pan...in which case no, I am happy to report they were able to restore my hand without resorting to such archaic technology.

20% is bad...and that was after months of 'Aggressive Physical Therapy' (AKA Torture) to try and break up the scar tissue. It was only that bad for that one twisting motion though, flexing forward, backward and side to side were pretty good. I did realize how little you use that twisting motion too. Mostly it's just for gestures, so instead of waving I karate chopped at people and in order to hold a tray like a waitress, I would have to swivel my elbow in front of my face. I was able to ride, drive and go rock climbing without really noticing.

It's still nice having that motion back now, but the reduction in pain was the biggest bonus. I didn't realize how depressed the pain was making me until it was gone and suddenly I was feeling much happier much more often.

I probably would have talked myself out of the second surgery, except it was much less expensive for me to do it this year than if I waited and decided I needed it later (I have a $5k annual deductible which I had obviously already met). Surgery blows and it knocked me on my rear end the first time, but the removal was so much better. I only spent a few days in bed on pain killers and then it was basically life as usual.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Becktastic
Feb 6, 2009

Failure is impossible

aventari posted:

Can't agree with you more about getting a good surgeon. I've had 3 ACL surgeries on my right knee and I *just* had shoulder surgery 2 months ago. Coincidentally I'm in San Diego and I have a great ortho surgeon if you're ever here again and need it :) Dr. Kevin Owsley, he worked with the Lakers and Dodgers I think too. It's really important if you're active to get a surgeon who specializes in sports medicine and works with active people.

He fixed my knee after the first guy botched it and I went back to him for my shoulder. He rides dirt bikes too. After my knee was fixed I was back to playing basketball and soccer and tennis and riding at 100%.

Right now I'm still recovering from the shoulder and it's scary how depressed and lovely I feel when I can't be as active as I'm used to. :(

While I hope I don't require an Ortho doc again anytime soon, I'm driving back to San Diego this weekend and staying with friends there for the foreseeable future. (You don't happen to have any leads on jobs do ya?) A doc who rides would be awesome! All my doctors look at me like I'm crazy when I say I bought another bike, it would be nice to have a doctor who gets it.

Yeah the 'not being able to be active' part is at least as bad as the physical pain part. I had figured out before that skipping my weekend ride had a negative impact on my mood for the whole week, but it wasn't until I had spent months being unable to ride, climb or work out that I realized just how important those things are for my basic mental well being. There were some seriously dark days and it is super scary to feel so unlike yourself. I'm pretty bummed about this 'wait eight weeks to do anything cool' mandate after the second surgery...but trying to keep my eye on the prize by planning a ski trip at the end! :D

• Locked thread