Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cheesebot
Jul 21, 2002

I cheesebot
I just lowsided at low speed (15-20mph) after a woman pulled out in front of me without looking or signaling leaving me no room or time to get out of her way. The only option was to brake hard and go down. She took off but three guys came back to me with her plate number and vouched to be witnesses and make sure I was okay. I was pissed but unhurt thanks to my gear which had done its job.

Police report filed (cop was a rider so he was cool and took the woman's info down understanding that she caused me to fall), insurance company contacted (I have full collector's coverage so we'll see what happens)

Here's a pic of the bike BEFORE the accident:

1971 BMW R75/5

Damage to bike:

Handlebars look bent to me:

Exhaust dinged:

And the worst, valve cover and innards knackered:

Not shown: seat bracket broken small tears in seat, battery tray broken, cracked GPS Ram Mount, throttle stuck and unknown internal mechanical and suspension damage.

Damage to me:

Lightly skinned knees, and a bruise on one hand. I was wearing all gear except pants - pants would've saved me from the skinned knees.

Helmet, HJC Symax II, chinbar stayed shut, helmet did its job:

Jacket, Rukka Steel, I had to search to find out where it hit (left elbow):

Boots, SIDI Strada, no pics but I just have a scrape on the toe of the right boot.

Gloves, Teknic leather gauntlet type things, just the heel pad of the right one is scraped a bit.

It's weird that the left elbow of my jacket and the right side of my helmet got scraped so I must have rolled while sliding.

gently caress cars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheesebot
Jul 21, 2002

I cheesebot

Nate Falls posted:

Not a drat scratch or bruise on me. My Sliders cargo pants didn't even wear through the outer layer, much less the knit kevlar underneath. The sliding ground off half the buckle on my Aerostich Combats, but it still functions okay.

I'm glad you said this, I have the same pants and boots and will feel more confident in them now.

cheesebot
Jul 21, 2002

I cheesebot
Not really a crash but more like a dump. On my vacation last week up to Nova Scotia we found some nice unpaved roads to burn some miles on. I wanted to grab a campsite first so we could unload our baggage and lose some weight before exploring these roads but my girlfriend preferred to get to the campground via these roads.

To make a long story short, I hate gravel downgrades and this is steeper than it looks in the pic. There was no real speed type damage but the weight of the bike, me and the luggage all fell on my right shoulder. I couldn't move my arm for a little while and I'm convinced I tore some of my rotator cuff (I have an appointment with an orthopedist). A friendly local drunk in a pickup with his wife, kid and dog stopped to help and offered all sorts of solutions but I just wanted to get my arm working well enough to get out of there (cue: Dueling Banjos). I eventually was able to make my wrist do the twist motion so by lifting my right arm up the the grip I was able to get to the campground about 20 miles away.

The only damage to the bike besides some scratches was a cracked front turn signal and bashed up sidecase - both of which I fixed the next day at the site while recuperating.

Several days later on our way back to Rhode Island we crossed the Maine border at St. Croix and we were running late. Unfortunately there's no lodging or camping anywhere around there so we were just riding looking for anything in the dark when a huge hairy monster (moose) ran right at me from the left side of the road. All my training turned into muscle memory as I emergency stopped without dumping the bike and the moose stood for a second before running off into the woods. I had to pull off for a few minutes to calm down.

We ended up camping black that night at a rest stop on Rt. 6 - nice place on a lake actually with picnic tables, grills and even a bathroom.

We took this in New Hampshire (Kancamagus Trail) a couple days later.

The funny thing is with my arm in its current state it's easier to ride a motorbike to work than a car because we don't have any automatics and using the stick shift is so painful.

cheesebot
Jul 21, 2002

I cheesebot
drat that's frightning, do you think you'll try riding again?

Z3n posted:

Goddamn. Were you wearing gloves? Heal up fast :(

I'm also gonna ask what were you wearing on your hands and feet - since that's where you were mostly injured and this kind of reporting hopefully helps others make wise gear decisions.

cheesebot
Jul 21, 2002

I cheesebot
Deliverator, that's about exactly what happened to me a couple years ago except the lady who cut me off didn't stop (a bus driver got her plate number for me) and I was riding extra cautiously because I knew it was a trouble spot in my neighborhood.

Unfortunately, I was riding an airhead where the valve cover becomes your "frame slider" until it hits a granite curb.

I think I had posted here when it happened.

Anyway the final result was about $2000 from my insurance (Hagarty) plus a new helmet. And by the way, the cop gave me the address of the lady who cut me off when I was reporting it. It's nice to get a cop who also rides.

cheesebot
Jul 21, 2002

I cheesebot

xd posted:

Maybe he was run off the road by an invisible oblivious driver?
There's always the possibility of a medical situation, at 59 years old a heart attack or something similar is a possibility.

cheesebot
Jul 21, 2002

I cheesebot

Rugoberta Munchu posted:

Psh, that's how I premix the gas in my scooter.

That's called postmix

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheesebot
Jul 21, 2002

I cheesebot

theperminator posted:

Don't know what happened, riding home from work on the motorway, doing 80km/h felt like the back wheel ran over something or slipped or something then it high sided me.

I have no idea, I was going in a straight line not changing speed. it was dark and had been sprinkling so maybe I ran over something or whatever.
I slid across 3 lanes of traffic and nobody hit me so I'm just glad to be alive

Any injuries? and what were you wearing?

• Locked thread