Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

It sounds like he still took off without offering his information to anybody?

If so, gently caress em'.

Let the cops teach him an important lesson on not being a douchebag next time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

1st bike down
2 more to go till backpanther status

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Jack the Smack posted:

I already ride a 1000 suzuki bike, so I don't see the problem from changing from a V-twin to a 4 cyllinder when I'm so used to the weight and size. Maybe if I were a tiny five and a half foot, 140lb person. I rode a few 600s and they're really cramped and tiny.

Quoting this for the future 'I wadded my gixxah' post in this thread.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

That story and others like it is one of the reasons I wear chest/back armor as well as the back armor built into my leather jacket. It may not help, or it may make all the difference in the world.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Glad to hear you came out relatively OK, all things considered, I'm sure it could have been bad.

Don't worry your head too much about if your going to ride again soon at this point, let the whole picture sink in and relax for a bit, if your soon to jump back on the wagon it'll be plenty clear plenty soon.

Hope the injuries you do have heal quickly, and drat son, have yourself a few 'Whoo! that coulda sucked!' beers.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Jabs posted:

WEW! GOT MY NEWBIE CRASH OUT OF THE WAY!

So... did you hit a hole in the water or something? How did going straight through a small amount of water take you down? Were you on the brakes? Glad you come out alright, but I don't understand what went on here, and at the very least, I think you should, as it sounds like somewhat regular conditions you shouldn't just be gong down in.

Stop thinking like 'you got it out of the way'. Now you know how much it sucks and should feel motivated to never do it again.

FlerpNerpin fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Oct 19, 2009

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Assholes.

Glad you and the missus are alright.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Wow, that is a lot of carnage. Such a beautiful R6 too. Glad you came out alright, sorry about the bike.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

That sucks. Not for your brother, he deserves it. I feel for you though. Does he have good life insurance? Are you on it?

Do what you can to steer him right. Hope it turns out for the best (your brothers idiocy).

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

sectoidman posted:

Are you sure tailgating a car/truck is a good idea in that situation? If they hit someone who cuts them off by pulling in to the lane, they're going to stop pretty drat quick and without much warning.

Generally speaking, nothing JTS says is a good idea. Tailgating for safety, goes on that list. There are certainly situations where it makes sense to consider the bulk of cagers that surround you and use them as a buffer, but anytime your limiting you vision, escape route, and limiting your room to stop between you and the object in front of you... you are inviting trouble.

In the situation described, I'd leave more space between me and the car in front of you. If you get someone who's really aggressive and trying to leave their lane for your quick moving lane, they might just think 'there's room after this car' and come flying in... right to where you are, tucked up a foot behind a big vehicle. Do be in the outside of the lane where you can use the shoulder in a pinch; if its daytime and my lane is moving a lot faster than their lane, I'll temporarily turn on my brights. I'll also starting using the Z-line, as it's called. Or rapidly swaying from side to side in my little outside portion of the outside lane, this makes your headlight more attention grabbing. If there's a group of vehicles I think is high risk (someone I can see checking the mirrors or blinker on), I'll even do a real quick little shake of the bars (almost self-induced headshake... but obviously not as extreme).

FlerpNerpin fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Apr 3, 2010

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Frame sliders don't do enough to protect your plastics to justify a discount. Some bikes they dont help at all. They protect the frame.

Also, Whiteboy, you may need to mentally write your brother off as a loss. Sorry.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

That is loving horrible.

What happened? Car drift over the centerline, bosses bike hit it and exploded, you crashed in the fire while you boss was trapped in it?

God drat son. Heal up. gently caress. Whats there to say.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Good man

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Please stop crashing CA

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Glad you are basically OK. Now you can do the job properly and get the 675 in blue and white.

Did the bitch get cited?

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

quote:

If all goes well and I end up getting a hefty chunk of cash I'll probably spring for one of those sexy new white ones :D

Good man. That's called making lemonade.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

No, buy a crashed MV Agusta F4i without an engine and cobble together your own Brutale F3

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Lucky you on that smashed tail light. Get the edge light, so much nicer.

Supermoto crashes are often more funny than serious.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

yummycheese posted:

What is this edge light you speak of? Im swapping out all the plastics for white plastic and one of those cool low profile tail lights is on the list things I want.

http://www.wheelingcyclesupply.com/shop/36/24/index.shtml

Get this sucker

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Z3n posted:

And that's why I run a stock exhaust. Viva la revolution!

I've got a stock pipe bike and a loud pipe bike and I've never been run into. My results prove motorcycling makes you invulnerable to idiot drivers.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Crayvex posted:

I have found that mentioning how long you've ridden without being hit by a car or truck is bad luck...

I didn't say how long I've been riding, only that I'm impervious to cars. Totally different. :colbert:

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Might wanna edit that photo dude, it's proof you wear crocks

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Get well soon Beck. My lady is just getting into riding on the street now, and I've used your adventures multiple times as encouragement. Heal up, and when you're ready we'll be hear eagerly reading your ride reports.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Pm me with your parts needed list. I have tons of spares and full plastics.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

The tires on my track bike are at the end of their useful life and are the exact opposite. They hate being straight up and down and as soon as you give them a little lean want to fall straight to max lean angles because they're triangled off aggressively. Perfect for a 2nd life on a squid bike!

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

This is the first time the thread has been this goony. It's like going to e/n without all the weird!

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

I like motorcycles. Sometimes people crash :-( We should have a thread about it.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Parking lot seemed a bit fast and careless, but if it's a familiar lot, I'm not going to say what was reckless, plus the camera really skews perspective.

Driver was at fault, but if he'd have come to a clean stop and observed before going again he may have been able to avoid the accident. The bike always loses, so it's in your best interest to take the extra caution. Was it his fault? No, but he may have been able to avoid it if he'd have been a bit more careful, and that is always worth identifying.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Somebody needs to crash so this thread gets back on topic. Not it!

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

^^^^ I like it.

"If you can read this, thank you for your service as an EMT.

My blood type is:
Next of Kin contact info:
Please cremate"

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

This thread was better when it was people posting about their grotesque injuries and crashes.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Well, if you are going to crash a new bike, a DRZ 400 SM is a smart choice.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

People need to post what bikes they ruined when they crash so those of us following at home can pour one out.

Heal up.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

n8r posted:

The brakes?

The stoppy bits

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

The front tucked but it didn't look like you put much if any pressure into the lever. Either something in the brake system took a much harder bite from for your input than you were expecting (Look over everything very carefully) or you absentmindedly applied sudden braking force.

Are those new gloves or anything?

Do you suffer from something similar to this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWcGRXf4XzE

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Bit harsh. You just need to learn a few things: confidence in emergency maneuvering (practice dodging imaginary obstacles)

Confidence threshold braking (practice in parking lots and on dirt bikes)

Knowledge of when to dodge and when to hit the thing. (If you can eat it in one sitting, hit the fucker)

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

God dammit that sucks all around.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

BlackMK4 posted:

Just a stupid crash, I thought I knew better. :)

Mods new thread title please.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

feed the blood lust or shut up. If you're not going to provide the details of your crash for our pleasure there is really no point in crashing at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

ABS on bikes is the poo poo. Sorry for your experience.

• Locked thread