Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Big Sean posted:

I know some of the keen stuff is on steam, I wonder why the rest of this library isn't. I can't believe keeping it on this obscure 3d realms site no one (nearly) knows about is really more profitable.

Keens are there because they are made by id.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Whalley posted:

What is that background picture? It looks like a walrus shooting lasers out of its eyes. Also it has too many eyes. What games involve laser shooting multiple eyed walrus cops? I want to play that game.

Someone posted this: http://infocom.elsewhere.org/gallery/beyond/quendor3.jpg

So text adventures?

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Lamacq posted:

That's weird, the only free game I got was Jagged Alliance: Deadly Games. Not that I'm really interested in any of the free games they've offered.

You can just go there and "buy" them for $0.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Apparently the max. amount of connections has been reached for some people. Guess I'll just have to sit through the Witcher stuff :P:

gently caress! I tried to change it to HQ and was kicked out.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Shoddy marketing is part of the charm. Just like bugs in Russian games. Or Valve missing their deadlines.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

OlMaster posted:

I've just bought the Broken Sword collection as I'm on an adventure binge right now. The HD resolution on the remakes sound nice but I'm hearing some bad things about how they're not true to the original, especially the first one's 'Director's Cut', and it's difficult to tell if it's just purist complaining or legitimate problems.

Having never played them, should I stick with the originals or just jump into the remasters?

I played the remastered edition before the original and the pacing felt broken. I'd play the original first and the remake after a while (new puzzles are ok).

They are goodish adventure games. Not Lucas Arts/Gabriel Knight quality but definitely better than King's Quests etc. The third is quite weak though.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
It's going to be EA and 25 sports games from 1997-2001 (no pre-3d games because they were great).

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Interplay games -50% until July 4th
http://www.gog.com/en/promo/interplay

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Pellam posted:

I'm playing Arcanum for the first time and finding it fairly difficult. The interface is a pain and there's a distinct lack of tooltips to help you to figure out what the best options are for levelling up. In Fallout I always went for melee in the early stages and switched to guns later on. I'm trying the same in Arcanum with a little bit of healing magic but even at level 4 the wolf in the mines is giving me trouble. Is this a bad build long term? I'm not into min-maxing but I don't want to slog through with a terrible build either.

Also, why were so many of these games like Arcanum and Lionheart rushed out at the end? It seems like the same mistake was made over and over with these isometric RPGs.

I'm playing as a damage dealing mage (harm spamming) and it became very easy after few levels. Beginning is tough because you don't have lots of fatigue, but after that, you can kill enemies without your companions and get shittons of xp.

Broken but still a great game, perhaps even better than Fallouts.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Hakkesshu posted:

I've never played Rollercoaster Tycoon, but I loving love those graphics. It it basically Theme Park without all the stuff that isn't rollercoasters?

No, it has pretty much all the stuff from Theme Park but is more engineer-y with g-forces and etc. And much deeper and better than any iteration of Theme Park.

Also coded by a single dude with assembly.

Kennel fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Jul 7, 2011

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Here we go
http://www.ustream.tv/channel/cd-projekt

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Broken Sword is going to be free for 48h (e. after 6 million customers).

Witcher 2 is going to have a 29$ promo soon.

Kennel fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Sep 22, 2011

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
SR2 is like Sid Meier's Pirates! in space. A sandbox game with all kinds of odd minigames.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Amethyst posted:

I'd agree with everything here except the Gabriel Knight games. Unless you have a nostalgic attachment to them they don't hold up today, thanks to the lovely sierra style puzzles.

I hadn't played them before GOG but still loved the first and third game (second was ok). I used walkthrough quite a lot but it doesn't really matter because these games are all about story and atmosphere.

One of the few video game series with actual chemistry between the characters.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
From Facebook:

GOG posted:

We're bringing you guys a new publisher tomorrow! Creators of one of the most action-packed turn based strategy series on PC, we will bring four great games from this publisher in the next few weeks. Who do you think it's going to be?

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Kikkoman posted:

Any chance it's Team 17?

Could be. "Action-packed" + "turn based" + "series" sounds like Worms but they're hardly strategy games.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Yeah, I'm voting for Eidos with Tomb Raider & Thief.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
From gog.com forums:

My favorite series of all time.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
One of the best games ever created.

Play on the hardest difficulty. It adds lots of objectives and makes the game much more interesting.

Monster/human ratio is about 50:50. Monsters are generally less fun enemies but fortunately there's some very good haunted levels.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Saoshyant posted:

What kind of game is Whispered World, anyway? From the store page it seems like a point and click with a strange art style of the kind I'm not sure I dig. Anyone played it?

Yeah, it's a traditional point and click adventure. The story isn't too exciting and there's several WTF puzzles (also some good ones) plus the main character is annoying whiner with a terrible voice actor. Art is lovely but I would never pay more than 5 euros for it.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

THE BAR posted:

Have anyone else noticed how The Witcher doesn't have 5/5 stars anymore? Seems really odd, given how lavish people tend to be with their ratings.

It's probably because Witcher is The Big Title and therefore played and reviewed by those who aren't already fans of the game. Something like Little Big Adventure (both have 5 stars, seriously?) is only rated through nostalgia glasses.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Here's a fun link:

Evolution of PC Audio - As Told by Secret of Monkey Island

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

scamtank posted:

e: I almost forgot the terrible awesome voice acting. :holy:

Olli: "TOTTA!"

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Zeeman posted:

Is Fahrenheit/ Indigo Prophecy worthwhile? I've heard it gets very hosed up at a certain point

It's quite unique experience. Just know that while the story begins nicely it becomes overly crazy and stupid (it doesn't help that they had to cut lots of content) and the gameplay is quick time event heavy.

It's still worth that price.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
IW is still a decent game even with several terrible design decisions.

Kennel fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Jul 3, 2012

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Humerus posted:

Is XIII any good? I remember I kinda wanted to buy it when it came out back when but never did.

I just bought it today anyway, but is it worth playing?

It's decent but nothing spectacular. Comic book style (visible sound effects, kill cam panels, cel shading) is still quite unique and the story is deep for an fps (although I guess it wasn't very memorable as I've forgotten nearly everything after playing it few years ago). Gameplay is your standard early 2000s fps with not-too-bad stealth sections.

Get it if you want to play a story-driven agent shooter.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
First KotOR 2 on Steam and now this. What an odd week.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

jivjov posted:

GOG is currently matching the 50% discount on Legend of Grimrock, snag it for $7.49 and enjoy some old-school dungeon crawling. The devs just released the level editor as well, and its probably the most user-friendly dungeon editor I've ever had the pleasure of working with.

Worth noting that if you buy directly from the developers you get both non-drm version and a Steam key. The game also uses Steam Workshop which might make searching/installing mods somewhat easier if you use the Steam version.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

steinrokkan posted:

So, after some time I ventured into the store and got overwhelmed. Basically, I'd like to ask if there are any good adventure games you would recommend. I already own some of the classics (Gabriel Knight, TLJ, the new Monkey Island), but since I don't know most of what they have on offer, I'd really enjoy some tips. And yeah, I own all the Cryo (Atlantis) games too.

Blackwell games are my personal favorite (after Lucas Arts and Gabriel Knight). Invidual games are quite short (2-3 hours, except the fourth one which is little longer) and production values are small but the story and puzzles are great.

http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/blackwell_bundle

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Andrigaar posted:

I think the following games are the only ones out of the 20 I don't have in one form or another:

Resonance
Botanicula
Symphony
Mutant Mudds
Unmechanical

Any of these love-it/hate-it decisive titles or am I set for $10 of indie love?

Based on first few levels, Mutant Mudds isn't too exciting (but I think someone said, it will get better).

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

quote:

Scandinavian games
Stop spreading misinformation GOG. Finland isn't part of Scandinavia. :argh:

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

BiggerJ posted:

Could you please link to a news article or blog post about this? Or post a way for us to view the Steam registry ourselves?

It was part of this leak: http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/02/04/halo-3-and-other-titles-sighted-in-steam-database?abthid=510fa1606dcc21381c000043

And it still shows up if you search Steam Hubs: http://steamcommunity.com/apps

The game is going to have 25 year anniversary in October so re-release sounds plausible. There wasn't other LucasArts games in that leak.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
:siren: New release :siren:

This is cool because it wasn't part of the 2006 collection because they wanted to avoid AO rating.

Kennel fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Feb 19, 2013

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Andrigaar posted:

That can't be the real reason, can it? You bang a chick on the beach in LSL3 (in EGA un-glory, gentlemen and ladies) and in LSL5 you can burst open the blouse of one of the contestants.

The only difference I can think of is cartoon naked people in the glass bottom pool showing parts below the waist.

I don't know the exact stuff but already edited my post.

Wikipedia says: "According to https://www.allowe.com Vivendi excluded Love for Sail! from the collection in fear that the hidden easter egg ending would give the collection an Adults Only rating."

e. Here's more speculation: http://www.allowe.com/Larry/collections.htm

Al Lowe posted:

A marketing person from VU Games told me that they did not include LSL7 because of a 5-second-long Easter egg that we included as a "reward" in case anyone scored all 1,000 points and found all 32 collectibles. Even though I told him it was easy to prevent it from ever appearing and even told him how to fix it, they were afraid that the ESRB would somehow find out that it was still in the compiled game files and give the entire collection an AO rating. (Or whatever rating the ESRB gives for 5 seconds of cartoon nudity seen by less than 0.001% of the people who play the game!). <sigh>

(This was year after the Hot Coffee controversy)

Kennel fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Feb 19, 2013

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Mordaedil posted:

I love how many of these are just childhood memories for people.

I beat Larry 1 (with my few years older neighbour) before I understood the concept of sex.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Who owns the rights for No One Lives Forever?

Nobody knows

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Al! posted:

It's probably the best post-LA adventure game I've played. At least it's in competition with Gemini Rue, also made by the same company.

"Published", not "made" (common mistake)

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Yeah, the issue with Dreamfall is that none of the elements (puzzles, combat or sneaking) offers any kind of challenge and therefore the gameplay is pretty much just walking around and talking to everyone. The story isn't anything spectacular but still worth playing/watching and visiting the old places was fun.

Kennel fucked around with this message at 21:49 on May 12, 2013

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Mr.Hotkeys posted:

I can't wait to see everyone's reactions when a modern game releases with Dog Mode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

macnbc posted:

Well, not quite EVERY LSL game. But all of the good ones. The ones GOG doesn't have in their catalog aren't worth mentioning.

Doesn't include the best Larry game, Larry 4 :colbert: