Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Ugly In The Morning posted:

SC Blacklist did replace Ironside as Fisher (though that one was understandable- it came out years later that he had cancer but didn’t want to make it public, and he’s back to voicing Fisher in cameos).

Ironside as Fisher was irreplaceable. His voice is Sam Fisher! I remember telling my teenage boy he got replaced, and at the time didn’t know about his medical issues. He had played SC to Double Agent to 100% on all of them on PC, and had read some of the paperbacks I had. Ironside is one of my favs since watching him as Ham Tyler in “V” with an Uzi mowing down lizardfolk by the boatload!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

JustJeff88 posted:

I've only played the PS4 versions of RDR2 and GTAV, but I remember very well the PC port of GTAIV. Among its other many... "charms", I would like to mention "Games for Windows Live". I cannot even think about that without a shudder and a twinge of nausea.

Windows Live sucked balls. But I miss The Zone. MechCommander and Tie Fighter/X-Wing vs. Tie Fighter against PC enemy fleets in an asteroid field was awesome. I miss the easy consistent matchmaking, and the unlikely chance your opponent would be cheating. Now I have unlimited internet I have like 50 games collated onto GoG Galaxy but in the back of my head I’m still uneasy about downloading giant game files. Splinter Cell: Conviction was the last video game I ever bought on physical media, and the single player game was ruined for months by needing an always on/DRM check every (literal) two seconds. Single player campaigns should never have interruptions that horrible. My son & I had waited a year for that game and the entire reason I pre-ordered a physical DVD was because I didn’t have the bandwidth and speed to go to early Steam, so it caught us by surprise when every thing, even the menus, were hiccuping every other second. SC: Blacklist was fun, though, even though I had to take my desktop to my sister’s house to download the game file.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

JustJeff88 posted:

It was specifically my headset dongle as I have a logitech keyboard, wireless controller, and two mice plugged into my gaming desktop. I tried several versions of NOLF1 with no success and was totally baffled. I did some searching and found an offhand comment about a Logitech device causing problems, and I unplugged my headset USB on a whim. Worked immediately.

I shall defer to your expertise. I'm probably projecting because I am very fond of the NOLF games (I still have my hard copy of 2) but never really played Mechwarrior. MechCommand, though, that's another story. At least these days we have the choice between two distinct Mech games: Mechwarrior 5 is classic MW action while Battletech is more MC-like but turn-based.

Goddammit turn-based is not MC-like, it’s the best original way BattleTech was meant to be played! You kids and ya vidyas and animorphs nudie cartoons!

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

GreenNight posted:

Zak McKracken is a great drat name.

MCKRAKEN!!!! :argh:

“Release McKraken!” :cthulhu:

Question:Is DivinityII—Developer’s Cut worth $1.99? I see a lot of folks talking about about “Original Sin” being good, and this a no-poo poo buy if so. I just don’t want to buy a game with such a Steam backlog! I’ve never played original Divinity, either; should I get it to play through too because apparently GoG, Epic, and Steam’s algorithms have discovered that I haven’t played many games since Skyrim and WoW and they throw these >$2.00 deals at me I can’t resist.

Pls help :devil:

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

John Murdoch posted:

The Divinity games are all incredibly different from one another.

The Original Sin games are top-down multi-character RPGs with an emphasis on...I guess you would describe it as old school D&D-esque improvisational bullshit combat. Where you don't win by applying sword to bad guy, you win by dumping a barrel full of grease across the field then setting it on fire and then teleporting the bad guy into the fire.

Divinity 2 is more your standard third-person RPG fare, with loot and abilities, and a few weird gimmicks that set it apart from most. Plus some decent writing. This would be the one that would be most familiar to you if Skyrim and WoW are your touchstones.

Divine Divinity (and Beyond Divinity) are, IIRC, funky Diablo clones.

And while all of the games are loosely related, all of the different ones take place hundreds or thousands of years apart from one another, so no need to worry about continuity or anything.

Ok, appreciate the explanation! I’d seen D:OS a lot in the Steam thread, and this deal for DII popped up. I might just get it because it’s good writing, 3rd person, and $2 :) then.

Edit:
Thanks Guill, too! Mind reading sounds fun anyway, so I’m getting it!

Edit II: :lmao: they added the other Divinity-s for $0.59/apiece. They have discovered my weakness!!!
Looking forward to playing them!

DerekSmartymans fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Dec 16, 2021

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Must be. 5 digit people wouldn't be shocked by its size, and 3 digit people wouldn't react that strongly. Epic alone his given out well over 200 games.

I like my GOG Galaxy app, but when Playnite showed me in the 4-digit group, I groaned at myself.

I mean, like 900 are from itch.io's Ukraine bundle, but still...
:smug:

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

itry posted:

If itch continue with their crazy bundles, we better be getting an official itch plugin for galaxy :colbert:

That itch bundle was the only reason I moved to playnight. I used galaxy beforehand, and still update all my individual launchers (amazon/epic/etc) once a week or so. I hate going to play Conan, for instance, and having to wait 10 minutes to update non-Conan launchers and games. I know there are workarounds like automation, but I do it all in the background while writing anyway, so don't want to mess up a routine that seems to work for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

THE BAR posted:

https://www.gog.com/en/game/xcom_2

XCOM 2's like $2.5 right now. The DLC ruined that game for me, but the base experience is solid for that price.

It was free on Epic a little while ago, too…I only bring it up because some folks (like me) compulsively redeem free games posted around and forget they even already own the games before they jump on a “deal.” 😬