Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Installed a RAM mount and a hardwired USB port for my phone for navigation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Confirmed the ST3 is British when it marked its territory in my garage. Just a drop of coolant though, snugged up a few hose clamps and it should be good. Fairly common from what I understand. Also took out and cleaned the gear position sensor as it was acting a little fucky, I'll see if thats better next time I ride.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Installed an oil temperature gauge. Took a while but I found a nice little low profile gauge I could tuck under the flyscreen. I've got it all wired up, just waiting on a new sensor that will replace my drain plug.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Finished up my oil temp gauge install. Replaced the drain plug with sensor and routed all the wiring out of the way. Even managed to do it without draining my newly changed oil!

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Nah, just stuck my thumb over the drain hole while I quickly stuffed the sensor in place, haha. Lost like an ounce of oil, if that. Topped it up when I was done.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Installed a grab rail on the Striple, the wife did not like riding on it without one.

Since I was already putting an order in, also picked up the Triumph off road exhaust, which I think is a steal at $160. Haven't fired it up yet since I still need to load the map for the new cans, but based on youtube videos it should sound pretty drat good.

e: Loaded the new map. Cans sound goooooood.

opengl fucked around with this message at 00:50 on May 18, 2016

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

New tires on the Street Triple, Dunlop Q3's. I was still running on the OEM nearly 8 year old tires. They had a bit of tread left, but were definitely getting squared off. Feels so nice now, effortlessly drops into turns.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Grip warmers. Missed them so much since I got the new bike. Forgot how nice they are, even on days that aren't "cold" just to have on the low setting.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

I liked the reflective red tape I put on my SV.

I want to put some on the Striple but not sure what color. Maybe gold to match the forks?

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Sagebrush posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GoSAprKVoQg

Still alpha version. Need to fix things like the gamma curve of the LEDs, calibrate the temperature sensors, change the industrial design of the faceplate in a couple of ways, work on the UX, fix some bugs with the odometer storage -- basically a lot of little software things here and there.

But it fuckin' works :woop: :wooper: :woop:

Holy gently caress dude. I love this.

And here I was jazzed about these I'm putting in the beater: http://zada-tech.com/products/single-gauges/oled-digital-single-oil-pressure-gauge

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

This extended swingarm poo poo has gone too far

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Went out to the garage and made sure the little green light was still lit up on the tender. Stupid winter.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

MomJeans420 posted:

On the older Daytona 675s, you can even redo your fuel mappings with a cheap cable and TuneECU, but starting ~2013 you can only read and reset codes with a OBD2 reader.

Yup I did this with my 09 Striple to remap for my new exhaust.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Pulled the giant ugly possum catcher off and mounted the plate to the turn signal assembly. Almost fit like it was made for it, just had to drill a couple small holes.

Probably shaved off a couple pounds of weight too. Should make belt maintenance easier as well.

Didn't take a before picture so you get to enjoy a stock photo:

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Sold the old bike, didn't think it would happen before the spring

Installed lower footpegs on the Zero, also installed the OEM heated grips but need to run to the dealer to get them activated, sigh.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Sagebrush posted:

surely someone's working on hacking the firmware to enable all the features right

This predates the paywall stuff. You just need to flip a bit to tell the dash the grips are installed so I can use them.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Razzled posted:

Drove 11 hours to pick it up from Detroit.

Finally got one of my dream bikes thanks to the replacement Tuono being a giant sack of poo poo and is in the shop for the second time after less than 10 hours of riding.

Streetfighter 1098s with custom paint, midnight purple

Got drat

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

I'm going to need more pictures of that paint for scientific purposes.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Yeah I am far from a harley person but that owns.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Picked up the 919 today. Got about 15 minutes away from the seller's house and noticed when giving it moderate throttle in sixth the revs were climbing like the clutch was slipping. The bike has 40k on it but the seller had the clutch replaced 2 months ago, so I figured they either did a poo poo job or it needed adjusting.

Gave it more throttle in a lower gear and no its not the clutch, the back end was squirming around on me. Looked in the mirrors and realized pretty quick it had dumped out all its oil, I was leaving quite the streak behind me. Pulled over just in time for the oil pressure light to start flickering, flicked the kill switch and coasted into a parking spot where it proceeded to puke out the last quart or so. The drain plug was nowhere to be found. I guess the same shop who serviced it didn't properly tighten it.

Luckily my wife was my chase vehicle, so we started the search for a replacement plug in the middle of cow country NJ. It's an oddball size (M12x1.5), no part stores had one. Checked a few hardware stores as everything was quickly closing being the Sunday before Memorial Day at 4PM. Very last place I checked (an ACE) had a bolt in the right pitch, but it was way too long. Bought that and a hacksaw and spent 20 minutes cutting 2/3 of the threads off. Got it done, threaded in cleanly and snugged up with no issue (my other concern was hosed threads) with a new crush washer the seller luckily included, along with the extra oil he also included.

The rear tire was completely soaked in oil and super sketchy. Luckily the place I coasted into had a hose and I was able to wash off the worst of it, and puttered the 1hr home barely giving it any lean as I wasn't confident I got the chicken strips clean. Finally got home about 4 hours late. Didn't expect to have to Roadkill this drat thing but we made it and my wife was a trooper.

Now to give it a proper going over before I ride it again because who knows what other fuckery I'll find. I should also get an actual drain plug and not a hacked down hardware store bolt, though it seems to be doing the job well enough for now. Also need to figure out how to clean the oil streak off the back of my mesh jacket.

opengl fucked around with this message at 23:44 on May 29, 2022

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't missing my Zero while stranded in a puddle of oil, lol. But I've been riding ICE bikes for 15+ years now, nothing new there. Was just a short few months of being EV-only. This thing is a blast though and I enjoyed the rest of the ride home despite being too spooked to lean much. The tires need to be replaced anyway, they're mismatched and the front is from 2012, the rear from 2014 (of course the listing said "newer tires". at least i was able to knock him down $500 when I pointed out yes they have tread but they are aged out and starting to dry rot). May throw a set of Q3's on there as they have been my go-to all rounder in the past unless anyone has any other suggestions.

Spent the afternoon giving it a thorough cleaning. There was just an impossible amount of grease and grime from the tank down. I'm convinced he never washed it other than the painted surfaces in those 40k miles. Took some serious scrubbing and rinsing and scrubbing with all manner of stiff brushes and towels with dish soap. Didn't want to risk using any kind of degreaser with how much aluminum there is. It looks a million times better now, and I can actually work on it without needing to power wash myself afterwards.

Also pulled the Two Bros exhaust but hit a wall trying to reinstall the OEM system, installing the Y pipe requires removing the rear shock, but I don't have a center stand nor a good way to suspend the bike. I need to figure that out anyway to pull the wheels to drop them off for new tires. May finally have to get a front stand and rig up either a ladder for the rear or mount something to the rafters in my garage.

Also ripped out like ten red LEDs with customary horrible PO wiring.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

yummycheese posted:

factory chain guard installed + undertail LED’s. a rare combination

It wasn't even just undertail, I kept finding these fuckers everywhere. 4 were undertail, those two long strips one was under the tank and one above the header, 4 more little ones under the tank held on with medical tape, and 2-3 more just stuck randomly all over the engine. Oh and naturally wired directly to the battery so you can leave them on while hard parked and drain it.

e: Cleaned up pretty nice, engine looks passable now

OEM exhaust ready to go on. Mufflers came off a 2k mile bike and the Y pipe donor had 4 actual miles. Waiting on an order for some bolts and a new gasket.

Cluster area cleaned up decent, this was caked in grime before. Just some dumb keychain marks and light gouges from my guess fork servicing.

opengl fucked around with this message at 03:59 on May 31, 2022

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Bar end mirrors installed, same ones I put on the Zero. I likes em.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Decided to give Angel GTs a shot this time. Will get them mounted this weekend once I go pick up a center stand so I can get the wheels off. The proper ones you leave attached are stupid money now if you can even find one, but there's a guy who welds up a cheap service stand that doesn't bolt to the bike. Or he used to. Found a guy locally selling one. I need to lift the frame and not the swingarm because I still need to pull the shock to reinstall the OEM Y pipe.

opengl fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Jun 3, 2022

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07XT7RQDZ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They are really well made and not cheap feeling at all.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Picked up that service stand and whipped off the wheels. Will drop them off tomorrow with the new tires. Also pulled the shock so I can finally get the exhaust installed once my gaskets come in.

It's a stupid simple design but works great

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Spent about 5 hours yesterday degreasing the swingarm and everything around the chain. PO was great about keeping the chain lubed so it and the sprockets are in great shape, but I don't think he once cleaned anything around the chain (a recurring theme with this bike).

It's not perfect, I'm getting some smaller brushes to finish the little nooks and crannies, but you couldn't even SEE the rubber chain guide before. Everything was completely coated in thick, tar like, waxy old grease. The inside of the front sprocket cover had just enough room for the sprocket, every other bit of volume was packed with old grease. It was a complete nightmare to clean and I had to throw away every brush and towel I used. The chain needs another pass but I'll do that once I have the wheel back on.

When I ordered the exhaust gaskets I threw a bunch of fasteners on there that need refreshing too. Of course those showed up before the functional parts I need.

These bolts on the grab rail stood out in a bad way, got some new ones and new caps for them too. I may still remove it and repaint it as it's a little manky even after a deep clean. I grabbed a can of this stuff that somebody here mentioned is a good match for Honda's aluminum finish, we'll see how it turns out.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Man I feel like a dummy. Because I already have a big can of kerosene I use for chains (that I did use on this chain too) but didn't even think of it for this job. I was using this which worked reasonably well but still took a lot of scrubbing and rinsing on the really stubborn sticky stuff I was finding slung everywhere. I didn't want to risk any kind of aluminum staining with anything harsher but I may finish the job with kerosene now.

And cheers on the paint rec! I'm definitely gonna do a test spray before committing to anything with it.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Picked up the wheels w/ new tires. Mounted up the front after spending a couple hours detailing the wheel, rotor, and lower forks. As always they were nasty. Calipers need one more pass but looking pretty tidy otherwise!

The rear will go on this weekend assuming the exhaust gasket shows up tomorrow so I can put all that together first. Then I can test ride and figure out what else needs attention.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

The exhaust gasket came in and I promptly destroyed it trying to get everything installed and aligned, there's no room to get the Y pipe in at a straight enough angle to not jam it up. I hate these stupid malleable graphite gaskets. I feel like you get one shot with them. Went to plan B, got some exhaust repair wrap and made a gasket out of several wraps of that and topped it off with copper permatex for good measure. No leaks, good enough.

Took a while to line up the cans and get those mounted up. Then put the shock back in and the rear wheel on, chain tension set and wheel aligned. Took it for a 45 minute shakedown ride. No issues really, runs fine, still sounds half decent when you open it up even with the stock exhaust. Valves are a little tappy but I understand that's normal on these especially at 40k miles. Suspension is s h o t though. I rode without earplugs so I could hear the bike and the shock clunks over bumps (and easily bottoms out when I sit on it) and the forks are kind of noisy too. Forks will be easy enough to rebuild but shocks are hard to come by unless you want to pay $1k for an Ohlins which I'm not into on what is supposed to be a beater bike. Will need to keep an eye on eBay.

But overall not bad. Will get a longer ride in now that I'm fairly confident nothing I did will kill me or leave me stranded. The Angel GTs seem solid but I wasn't exactly dragging knee or anything yet.

Needs another wash just from me doing so much work on it but the worst of it is properly degreased now so it'll be easy enough to clean up.

Oh and all the oil stayed in the crankcase which is always nice.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

A new oil leak! Yay!

At least it's a minor one. Looks like oil is pushing through the crank sensor itself, its not wet where the cover seals or the grommet for the sensor, but coming up through the wire underneath the sheathing. It's pushing enough out that it trickled down between the two covers and was starting to form a droplet on the bottom. This wasn't here before so I think it only happens at high revs which I definitely hit a few times during my test ride yesterday. Don't really see how this would be repairable so I'll just order a new sensor, it's $40.

Was a tricky one to track down, it rests against the clutch cable bracket and just wicked from there down the cases so I had to clean it all up to see this is where it's coming from.

Here's what it looked like before cleaning, pretty well saturated between the cases.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Oil level is good, but I did also find it weird there's be enough pressure to push oil through the sensor. Will check the breather, thanks.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Noticed when I went for my first ride the turn signal was quite gummy feeling and barely returned to center. Popped it open, disassembled everything and cleaned out the super old grease, squirted fresh stuff in there, a million times better now.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Did front and rear braided brake lines on the 919, it still had the original 15yr old rubber lines and was due for new fluid anyway.

I continue to love speed bleeders and will continue to put them on every vehicle I own. They make flushing brake fluid completely brainless.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

The swingarm isn’t threaded for spools on the 919 sadly. My solution was tracking down a homemade service stand a guy used to make that uses the OEM center stand bracket.

e:didn’t click your link. Iiiiiinteresting.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

TotalLossBrain posted:

The lesson here is that all POs are trash fires and should not be trusted.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Continuing with some minor cosmetic jobs on the 919. When I bought it the grab handle was super manky and the first thing you'd notice.

A while back I got new OEM bolts and caps:

But the handle itself was still stained and spotted and gross. Used that Dupicolor silver enamel and yep it's a great match. 3 coats of primer and 3 of color.

I also painted new used headlight brackets I got off eBay. One of mine is broken from the PO dropping it:

The new ones are straight but needed a painting as they were super worn like my grab handle. Unfortunately I couldn't get them installed as I discovered the inner headlight stay is tweaked on both ends from the turn signals smashing inwards on drops (thanks again PO, at least he installed a brand new OEM tank when that happened). So now I need to work on either pulling it straight or finding a used one.

Also sanded and painted the metal plates at the passenger footpegs. They were super rusty before. Looks better now but they're pretty pitted so not perfect. Threw a new set of OEM ones on my next parts order since they're available and $7/ea.

Few weeks ago I did stainless brake lines and fluid. New shock just landed from Italy, will work on that next most likely.

opengl fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Jul 15, 2022

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Slammed the new shock in the 919. Total time including pulling the rear wheel was half an hour, not bad. Feels a hundred times better just plopping onto it compared to the spanked 40k OEM shock which just bottomed out when you sat on it. Way too frigging hot for a test ride, hopefully soon.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

FBS posted:

How much was it?

A little under $300 but I had to order it from Italy. Their US distributor wanted almost double that.

https://www.brixiamoto.com/en/yss-rear-shock-absorber-mz456-285tr-02-x-357116.html

Easier to swallow than the $1k an Ohlins costs. I'm not expecting Ohlins performance, just a non clapped out shock. They are well reviewed from those that run them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

This is timely as the forks on my 919 desperately need attention.

Before going down the upgrade rabbit hole I just want to refresh them and see how they feel. In terms of parts to replace, it seems like I should replace the dust seals/boots, oil obviously, and bushings. Anything else while I'm in there?

Looks like there are two bushings per fork, #8 and 9 here: https://www.revzilla.com/oem/honda/2006-honda-cb900f-919/front-fork-04-?submodel=cb900fa-919