Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MotoMind
May 5, 2007

FYI DRZs have the worst-designed close-ratio transmission around. Great for a supermoto track or town duty, not so much for dual sport and highway. You have to pick between a low 1st w/ low 5th and high 5th and high 1st.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

Phat_Albert posted:

AWD Eclipse/Talon

I have also determined that the Zodiac is the supermoto of the boat world.

Zapcat

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDAqEMXsk-4

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

Z3n posted:

The 6th gear is one thing I really, really wish the DRZ had. :sigh:

The DRZ has one of the tightest gear ratios of any dual sport out there, even comparing with other 5-speeds. It's really kind of atrocious in that respect.

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

I was wrong, the DRZ actually has THE narrowest gear ratio of any dual sport.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=281742

3.90 Yamaha XT225 (6 speed) 19.69
3.78 Honda CRF230L (6 speed) 19.12
3.75 Suzuki DR125 (6 speed) 18.95
3.63 Kawasaki Sherpa 250 (6 speed) 18.30
3.46 Yamaha XT250 2008 (5 speed) 17.50
3.45 Yamaha TW200 (5 speed) 17.43
3.40 Husqvarna TE610 (6 speed) 17.16
3.36 Yamaha WR250R/WR250X (6 speed) 16.99
3.32 Kawasaki KLR250 (6 speed) 16.76
3.27 BMW G650X (5 speed) 16.54
3.18 KTM 530 E/XC-R (6 speed)
3.18 Husaberg FE650E (6 speed) 16.07
3.18 Honda XR650L (5 speed) 16.07
3.15 Kawasaki KLX250 (6 speed) 15.91
3.13 BMW F650GS (5 speed) 15.79
3.06 KTM 640 Adventure (5 speed) 15.44
3.04 KTM 950 (6 speed) 15.37
3.01 KTM 520 E/XC (6 speed) 15.16
2.93 Suzuki DR650 (5 speed) 14.77
2.88 KTM 690 Enduro (6 speed) 14.48
2.86 Kawasaki KLR650 (5 speed) 14.42
2.66 Honda XR650R (5 speed) 13.43
2.65 Suzuki DRZ400 (5 speed) 13.36

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

Fuel pump, filter, clogged injectors?

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

DrakeriderCa posted:

Supermoto people, I'm thinking about getting a Sumo for my first real bike. Right now I'm learning on a friend's XL125, and I'll be doing my motorbike safety course sometime soon. If I have enough scratch, I'll pick up a bike this summer.

Since this will be my first bike, I'm wondering about the wisdom of starting with a hoon ride. I've been looking at KLX250SF's and DR-Z400SM's, and I'll probably take a look at a CRF230M today. I also looked at Aprilia's ($Texas and I can't afford a personal mechanic) and Huskies.

I'm 28 years old, 6'3" and about 230lbs, with a 34" inseam. I have my wild days out of my system, but will a sumo take over my brain and make me wheelie off a bridge?

Second question, is it even worth looking at anything other than a DR-Z?

I wouldn't use a CRF230 for anything except starting a large bonfire.

The KLX250SF is a nice bike, but really should be a 300. My plated KLX300R was a hoot, but I can't imagine having a lot of fun with 50lbs of street crap and less power.

The DRZ probably is the right choice, but I wouldn't turn down some of the older 600cc class bikes if you're willing to buy used. The XT600 is consistently $200-500 under market prices for the KLR or DR or XR 650s. It's a great bike to learn on.

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

For small-bore bikes, I'm a fan of gearing down so you hit terminal velocity in 5th (or 6th) gear right around redline and then throw massive bar end weights on to kill the vibes. Most modern engines can handle extended high-RPM running just fine.

MotoMind fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Feb 24, 2012

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

That is one very nice WR you have there.

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

Smaller wheels also = poor tracking in ruts and over obstacles.

SaNChEzZ posted:

It's all thanks to you buddy!

Glad it's working out for ya. Come on up north and we'll see if you got a good one.

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

I don't think you can compare any 650cc thumper with a 7500rpm redline to a small-bore single with a 11500rpm redline. You can gear the KLR super high and have it lope down the highway at 75 or 80mph, but still pull stumps coming out of turns in 2nd. It's a different riding experience. The question is not whether one bike is better than the other, but whether your needs as a rider are more aligned with one bike or the other.

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

Gnaghi posted:

Would a few upgrades fix it you think? I'm asking cause this popped up and maybe I could get him down a bit on the price. I've been looking for a good deal on a WR250x for awhile and nothing is around under 5k.

A KLX250S is a fat, underpowered copy of the KLX300R. The latter pops up in plated form now and again, and they're the intermediate stage between 80s air-cooled dirt bikes and modern USD dirt bikes. I owned one and it was super-light and fun, but pretty brutish in nature and worse than the WR on the highway. You can get a 351cc kit and pumper carb for the KLX, but you may as well get a DRZ at that point unless you really really need a 6 speed transmission.

Z3n posted:

The problem is there aren't a lot of upgrades for them out there. Dunno if someone makes a BB kit for them or anything but by the time you get that installed you may as well have bought a DRZ.

It doesn't need engine mods. If you need more power and you can't get there by gearing down and rowing the 6-speed transmission, you got the wrong bike. The suspension is modern and quite serviceable out of the box, though the rear shock is non-rebuildable. The other farkles are out there.

MotoMind fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Mar 18, 2012

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

The WR is good for 4 reasons.

1. It has a 6-speed transmission for slow trails work as well as highway riding.
2. It has a large (350W) stator.
3. It does not need to be jetted for altitude (FI).
4. It has very long claimed valve adjustment intervals (25K).

That's it. It is an excellent bike for a very specialized use, and a good bike overall. The DRZ will give you better bang for your buck.

MPG is going to be in the 40s for either bike if you gear them right and romp on the throttle.

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

Olde Weird Tip posted:

I'm definitely a WR fan, its just too bad they didnt sell more, and that Yamaha pulled them.

There's a 2012 WR250R, when did they pull it?

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

drzrma posted:

Fairly sure it's interference between the throttle tube housing and the tube itself, I guess I'll sharpie the enclosed part of the tube and see if it gets rubbed off tomorrow.

Thank you all for the suggestions, I really appreciate it. This is just driving me loving nuts, especially with the weather finally getting better.

Does the housing have pinch screws that snug down two halves of the housing together? If so, play around with tension on those screws.

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

I've found that the balance (more/less tension) on the pinch screws can make a difference. YMMV.

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

A stuck coast enricher circuit or air leaks can also be to blame.

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

The 610 is pretty solid as long as you read up on the fixes; it's a dual sport and so different from the 510, etc. There's a woodruff key issue, not sure which model years were affected.

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

Safety Dance posted:

Test rode this here Husqvarna SM610 last night. I like it a lot. There's a similar mileage DRZ400sm at a dealership going for $6000, and all the other supermotos are either hillbillied out or $8K+ Hypermotards.
Edit: Does anyone know of a good Husqvarna forum? Huskytalk is kinda dead.

I'd cross-check ADVrider. I've seen some really nice, super-farkled 610s being sold for 5-6K. The tank, uncorking, primary drive nut fix, it's a little bit to take care of and sunk cost you won't get back in resale.

MotoMind fucked around with this message at 17:55 on May 2, 2012

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

Jabs posted:

We stopped by the cycle shop on Saturday, and she did like the fit and feel of the TW200 (Seat is 6" lower, to start with)...
I did a little digging and found some links to 17" wheelsets for the TeeDub.
http://www.tw-parts.com/exklusives/images/17_05.jpg

With 140/80R17's seem like a good fit...

Alternately, Becktastic suggested a SuperSherpa.

Thoughts?

First of all, there is no goddamn reason to change out the wheels on a TW. The stock wheels and tires are plenty good to scrape every hard part on the bike, street or dirt.

Second, I will agree that the TW200 is down on power. It is not, however, "really heavy."

The TW200 is pretty much the perfect learner bike and it will go 65-70mph steady down the highway (minus headwinds and big hills) with the correct gearing. It has a Reagan-era 55mph speedo redline, but the engine RPM redline is well above that. It's not a real commute bike, and it buzzes like hell on the highway and needs ManicSalamander bar end weights to tame that, but it will get the job done.

It is also the least intimidating motorcycle possible, and more fun than a barrel of monkeys. You can ride that bike like a minature pony at the county fair, or you can basically hold the throttle open ALL THE TIME and embarrass sportbikers in the corners (downhill preferable).

MotoMind fucked around with this message at 06:32 on May 8, 2012

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

I wouldn't pay $4500 for a DRZ unless it was nearly pristine. The mods add zero value and the owner obviously has the mental capacity of a snail.

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

Gnaghi posted:

My only concern, other then the fuel pump going as it is a 2008 with 8k miles, is that he replaced the sprockets. The stock rear has a rubber outlining the teeth which I'm guessing is the cush drive? The replacement sprocket doesn't have this though, shouldn't it be replaced post-haste? I don't want to have to order connecting rods for two supermotos now.

No idea what the rubber is about. It's probably some crazy business used to reduce the driveby noise in EPA testing.

Definitely replace that fuel pump before you do a big ride or anything.

You're going to get the most out of that WR with gearing more along the lines of 14/52. The bike makes peak power very close to redline, so that kind of gearing will give you the most pull from 65 to 85mph, at which point it has nothing more to give anyway. If the vibes bother you, get some ManicSalamander bar-end weights.

MotoMind fucked around with this message at 17:50 on May 30, 2012

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

14 up front because of a bad experience I had with chain slider wear with a 13T. The achilles heel of the WRs is wear on the underside of the chain slider just behind the pivot point. If you don't catch it in time, the chain will eat the underside of your swingarm. It seems to be tied to some magical blend of chain tension, suspension settings, and load. Mostly the last for me, since I had the bike fully loaded.

I think around town 13 is fine for most people, 12 dubious except for occasional use. But still check your slider from time to time. Look carefully.

One way or another the sweet spot for performance on a WR is going to be a gearing ratio around 0.27. Aggressive, yes, but I fully believe in using the whole RPM range on a 250 like the WR. The stock is 0.3 and that's dogshit.

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

Gullous posted:

The local riders forum (pnwriders.com) threw some cones down in a parking lot and held a "skills refresher" day. On the 690 those challenging MSF-like cones made a great super moto course :v:

I kept my foot up initially, expecting an MSF mindset/instruction, but couldn't resist the urge to race. I power-slid the rear out looking for the limits, but eventually found my groove.

It was surreal racing around in an MSF style environment. The spot is next to my job, too. Hopefully I can get a regular thing going..

People have a huge misconception about riding with cones and gymkhana. It may not be fast, but the goal is to go with a quickness. It is racing, and it is not easy. I can say I was a fair match for a famous AFM racer in local competition.

ADVrider has a great thread going: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=788591

Figure 8 GP: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPNxgRULJiA

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

I'd recommend you consider a Giant Loop Great Basin. They are not the easiest things to open up (3 straps and a zipper) compared with a simple roll-top or hard case, but you can usually set them up so you can remove the whole bag from the bike and carry it inside. That way you're not using tote bags or whatever to get a ton of poo poo to/from your bike at home.

That said, some dedicated panniers are pretty sweet if your bike isn't dwarfed by them. I'd recommend the Ortlieb QLR2 soft panniers bolted/mounted to a rack since they flatten for lanesplitting and a bigass topcase for boots/jacket when you stop somewhere.

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

Gnaghi posted:

It's been sitting there for a month now, mainly because I'd much rather ride my WR250x than try to rejet a carb.

Joke's on you, your bike does not have a carb.

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

Gnaghi posted:

Well I already bought the jet kit so I might as well carb it. Some guy on SMJ did it and says it ups the power quite a bit.

Link? I'd be surprised if the ECU would tolerate having the FI ripped out.

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

SaNChEzZ posted:

So, remember when my WR250 got wrecked.

It's got new life:
http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/mcy/3252881861.html

The guy got it for $1800 from a salvage yard, put $1200 into it and is now selling it for $4500. He said he'd sell it back to me for $3500 but I know what that bike's been through (a wall pretty much) so I don't want it :haw:

Do you want a WR250R for $3500? It's been through an Alaska.

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

JP Money posted:

As someone who had a DRZ and was so-so on the power, how disappointing is the WR250x? I found one that's very clean, stock, for not a lot. It's tempting as the market for DRZ's has suddenly loving vanished here. In the span of a month there are only poo poo examples for sale.

I know the cycle will come around again, but in the meantime what do you guys think of this? Guy is asking 3700 for it with ~4k miles. No mods so it's basically new.

My only real concern is lack of power, although fuel economy and FI are much better than the DRZ.

Edit - No idea where that picture attachment went to... here you go:

It has less power than the DRZ, and delivers it much higher. You have to wring its neck. However, it is a vastly more refined motorcycle. It feels modern while the DRZ is just warmed-over 80s tech.

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

I think that anyone with a sumo should know the correct technique for riding over speedbumps and speed humps: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VU_yS850BDc

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

JP Money posted:

I want to live where you live if the speedbumps are 2 feet tall.

Doesn't hurt to make believe. Also yes. I wish.

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

I have ridden both and the DRZ400 feels like an old-school thumper. It's powerful, it's a tractor, and it carries its weight high. The WR250 feels less powerful, but more refined in all respects. The suspension is modern, the power delivery is smooth, and the ride quality and engine feel are comfortable. 26K valve check intervals.

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

The DRZ is maybe the better highway bike, depending on if you value low rpm's or passing power more...

Debatable. The DRZ's lack of refinement takes some points away. I rode a DRZ with knobbies vs my WR250R with knobbies on the highway back to back and the DRZ had some latent headshake above 65-70. My WR250R has always be totally composed on-road, and doesn't feel terrible when you have it running at redline if you gear low, and cruises fine on stock gearing as well.

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

Safety Dance posted:

I'm thinking snow and slush, unless the recommendation for that is cheap dirtbike or take the bus.

Knobby tires and studs.

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

The wr250x ride quality and stability and feel on the highway are significantly better than the drz. It has less power but it feels safe and planted at all speeds. The drz was twitchy by comparison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

Shouting Melon posted:

KTM 390 SM spotted!

Have already informed my VTR250 that it's on notice.

"We can likely expect to see this “Enduro” break cover next year, as a 2015 model, with a potential arrival in the United States sometime in 2025-ish."

:unsmith:

• Locked thread