Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Gnaghi posted:

Welcome to the WR250 family! I'm having so much fun with mine on a daily basis that it doesn't even bother me that my Husky is probably going to be down for a bit while I attempt to rejet the carb.

Word is renazco seats are the best and cheaper than Corbin. There's also these two.

Anyone else have experience with those Renazco seats? I badly need something a little lower and more comfortable for my DRZ and I'd been thinking I'd just cough up for a Corbin. The Renazco seat is only ~$30 cheaper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Safety Dance posted:

Renazco seats are supposed to be streets above, but I emailed him last month and seats ordered then wouldn't be shipped until September. I got a Seat Concepts seat for my Husqvarna, and it's very comfortable. I think it arrived at my door less than a week after I ordered.

Thanks for this and all the other seat advice. I'm glad I still have the stock seat on my DRZ.

The link I quoted says you need to install the foam and cover from Seat Concepts on a stock seat pan for the WRX. Is that true for the DRZ, too? Is it tough to do, or possible without screwing everything up?

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

An observer posted:

So,

:laffo:

I want a supermoto at some point, but I am wee and it looks like that'll be a problem. Is it possible to lower it so I'm not hanging my entire rear end off the side at stoplights?

I wanna hoon :qq:

Hopefully you've already been convinced to get one, but just wanted to add that I only have a couple inseam inches on you, so I'm almost on tiptoes on my DRZ at a stop. I just slide over and plant one foot or the other -- not at all a problem on a light bike. It felt a little weird to do at first but now it's automatic and feels normal. I don't think you'll have a problem.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Orange Someone posted:

What advice would you give for someone getting on a supermoto for the (nearly) first time? I'm back home for the first time in nearly two months and I want to get my sister back on the DRZ. Last time she 12 o'clocked right in front of her husband.

He's gotten over the trauma; he passed his big bike test yesterday.

My sister and I have talked through the accident. Too much throttle (much lighter spring than her ER-5), nearly dumped the clutch (ditto), weight on bum rather than pegs and not gripping with her knees. Also leaned back slightly, which didn't help when the bike started tending towards the vertical.

She's never even attempted to wheelie, so I've talked her through some of the idea. Like hitting the rear brake to bring the nose down, and keeping the bars straight.

Anything I've missed?

I reckon it's mostly a confidence issue and she just needs to be back on. Also, I think the best way to teach her to deal with unexpected wheelies is to deal with some expected wheelies first.

Any chance she's going to offer classes? I need to learn to wheelie my DRZ.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Mine's a modded E and tbh I haven't counted the teeth on the sprockets since I bought it last spring. So I'm not totally sure what I'm working with. But in general I've never been blown away by omg torque in first.

Also I'm a big wimp.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

eddiewalker posted:

I just bought my drz halfway through last season, but I've only gotten the front up once, and that was on accident and it scared the hell out of me.

Maybe its the awful Corbin seat that slides my butt way forward so I'm constantly hugging the tank

We need a support group for DRZ riders who haven't yet wheelied across the roof of a cop car.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Covert Ops Wizard posted:

They also don't like it very much when you make a perfectly safe merge right in front of their bumper while slicing your way through rush hour traffic.

Pretty sure you're not being sarcastic; that's almost exactly what happened to me while I was getting on a highway in Paterson, NJ. Slipped in front of a local cop to make the onramp, as soon as I get on the highway I see the blue lights in my mirrors. My PA registration had expired while I was cruising around Nova Scotia. He called a truck to impound the bike and wrote me a ticket. I spent about 6 hours in the station and a few hundred on the fine and impound fees. The officer was actually a pretty nice guy in the end; I think he felt bad about pulling me over after we got to talking on the ride back to the station and he wanted to hear all about my trip. He let me use his computer to re-register and gave me a ride down to the impound lot himself. Still, basically felt like a powertripping move to me and it confirmed my distaste for New Jersey.

ought ten fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Feb 20, 2013

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Pink tube dominance.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

If you get the DRZ I'll trade you yellow plastics for those sweet ones.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

axia posted:

Fellow sumos. I am a sumo loser. I cannot wheelie and I am about as much of a hooligan as a librarian. Is my DRZ400S to blame, or am I just a motorcycle weenie? Sometimes I regret not picking up an SM when I bought my bike, but I really wanted a "dirt bike" that I could ride on the road. Any tips for getting that wheel up?

Sumo confessional itt. I talk a big game on the Internet but I too have never wheelied. Axia let's do this together.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Anyone have chain and sprocket recommendations for a DRZ?

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Metal, definitely.

I see a lot of guys running metal, but wouldn't plastic be easier to replace if I go down? Not real sure here, just thinking out loud.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Comedy belt option

Perfect, I've got a studded one from high school I hardly wear anymore.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Please dont troll, OP specifically asked about sprockets for a DRZ

Thanks. I wish everyone was as thoughtful as you.

Serious edit: TT has a bunch of sprocket recommendations in aluminum. Anyone have thoughts on that vs. steel? They strangely don't have anything to say about chains, though. The guy who works on my other bike suggested a DID x-ring which is blinged out in gold but also pricey. I don't need anything high performance, but it would be nice to have something that will last a while.

ought ten fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Jul 9, 2013

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Do you ride offroad, or just onroad?

Just onroad. And onsidewalks.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

JP Money posted:

You can get ek I think 520 o ring chains on amazon for like 70 bucks. I'd do that. I personally liked having a gold chain as it was easier for me to gauge how dirty it was but ymmv. Just get steel sprockets though. Make sure to loctite the front one on.

I'm in the habit of cleaning mine every 500 miles so o-rings will probably keep working for me. And the front sprocket looks like it's in perfect shape to me. I'm thinking of leaving it, or is that a terrible idea?

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

All right, thanks for all the advice. I'll let you know what I end up getting and how the install goes.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Tenchrono posted:

Right about 30". It felt fine when I was riding it albeit a little weird since I haven't been on a bike in a few months. It was in really good condition for an '01 also. Chain and sprockets were brand new and the bike only has 4800ish miles total. But its mostly a matter of convincing my mom that 12 years with only 5,000 miles is really nothing.

E: Because I wont hear the end of it if anything at all goes wrong.

E2: actually I'm gonna call the guy back later today after work and see if I can get it for 1900 which would leave me enough for a set of lowering links and registration / tax. It's my money :colbert:.

I'm 30" also and you'll definitely get used to it. I wouldn't bother with lowering links. If anything maybe get one of the Seat Concept kits, I think they take some height off.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

What he said, plus this stuff. TT is a great resource for all DRZ questions.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/939138-what-every-drz-needs-protection-reliability-fixes-common-maint/

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

I found the most amazing riding in DC yesterday, the kind of place I've been dreaming of since I got my DRZ. Then I got kicked out.

Back in 2002 DC built this track for the American Le Mans, but residents of the Kingman Park neighborhood across the street got mad about the noise and had it shut down. (Check out the Wikipedia page for the neighborhood. It's just a litany of things they got mad about and forced the city to close or cancel.) The city closed the track but they didn't do anything with it. Now it's just a big parking lot with a Metro line coming out the middle of it. The track is still there, the bumpy corner things are still there. I wish I could find a better picture of it, it's wild to see.

I'd only ridden about halfway around the track before a mall cop type in a pickup motioned for me to stop and told me I couldn't be there. Just after I'd passed a perfect little ramp for practicing small jumps. It was like sumo heaven. I didn't feel like arguing with him. Now I just have to find a time when he's not around.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Ponies ate my Bagel posted:

Go back, remove plate commence donging and run away. Don't forget to replace plate once you get done.

I don't even think that's necessary. I seriously doubt the city's paying a security company to have this guy around 24 hours a day. Just have to go early in the day or later at night. And maybe get some baffles for my pipe so I'm less conspicuous to the neighbors.

e: And maybe I'll get an extra set of plastics so they don't recognize me two days in a row. Or I could do up my bike in dazzle camo so they have trouble chasing.

ought ten fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Jul 27, 2013

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

If there was a good way to do the tank I would seriously consider a rattle can dazzle job. Also if I wasn't so lazy. Do the panels in alternating colors. I wouldn't even have to worry about the pattern lining up right when I put them back on.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Zool posted:

People are the worst.

These people really are the worst examples of NIMBY. They're the reason the Skins left for Maryland. They blocked an amusement park on the island right there that was called Children's Island. An amusement park.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

hot sauce posted:

I remember my dad telling me about this, but never knew exactly where it was. Where is the entrance exactly? Is the pavement still smooth enough for a non-supermoto to ride on?

I used an entrance on Oklahoma at right about 23rd and D NE, and an exit a little further up Oklahoma. Looking at the map I think there might be a few more ways to get in from Benning and East Cap. Pavement's not track quality, but it's definitely better than most DC roads and probably cleaner too. There's a gate across the entrance I used. Don't know if they use it but there's plenty of room to get around it. Let me know what the mall cop scene is like. I want to get this down to a science.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

MetaJew posted:

So I started installing my Trail Tech Vapor this past weekend, but I ran out of time midway through.

It turns out that when I ordered the "stealth" model (#752-102) Amazon sent me the silver model (#75-102) in a mislabeled package. After I emailed them back, they overnighted the black model. Now, that I have both, I think the silver model looks better with my hand guards.

Anyway, all that I have left to do for the Vapor is to install the water temp sensor and the tach sensor. Everyone on the KTM forums installs the water temp sensor behind the thermostat which doesn't make a lot of sense to me. If you do this, you won't know if the thermostat is failed and the bike is really overheating.

It would make more sense to put it in the coolant loop that circulates coolant through the head (#2 in the photo I found), but I'm not sure what direction the other lines flow. Do any of you all know? The only difficulty with the Vapor is that the wire for the temp sensor is pretty short, so I'll have to splice in some additional length to get it up to the gauge.

After this I'll finally get around to checking my valve clearances, attempting to fix an oil leak, and get the bike ready for a track day once the weather in Texas cools down a little.

Are you returning the stealth? I've been thinking about getting a trailtech recently.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

MetaJew posted:

Yeah, I got a return label from amazon and I think I'll mail the stealth model back. I would keep it if it had a matte black finish, but its gloss black and looks sort of cheap.

You can pick them up on Amazon prime for ~$95.

Yeah, if they're taking it back for a full refund it doesn't make sense, but I thought I might save us both some money.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Progress Report

Wheelie Status: ACHIEVED

I did my very first wheelie today. It was glorious and I'm a little embarrassed about the way it happened. I always figured my first would come with a big lead-up -- watching some wheelie technique videos on my phone, carefully reviewing the steps of wheelie-ing in my head, practicing the motions of a wheelie with the kickstand down. What happened instead is hot sauce and I were riding around an empty lot and a group of little kids came running over to watch. I felt bad since we were just about to head out, so as we rolled away I moved my foot over the rear brake, scooted back and cracked the throttle. Probably only came up a few inches in the front but it felt like 10 feet. I closed the throttle, wheel came down, and away we went.

My secret fear since I got the bike was that there was something wrong with it. Everyone says the DRZ's a wheelie machine but even on fairly aggressive acceleration I'd never lifted the front. Turns out the problem was me. All it took was deciding to do it. I'm worried it's going to become a problem :unsmigghh:

Well I'm sure that wasn't as interesting to anyone else as it was to me. But I feel like I just popped my cherry and I want to shout it from the rooftops.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Covert Ops Wizard posted:

Yes. Yes it is.

I know the feeling of thinking your bike can't do it though and then finding out it was you all along, my next step is doing wheelies at 30-40 mph and I don't even know how people manage to bring it up at that speed.

Yeah hard to imagine. I think first gear wheelies will keep me more than entertained for the time being.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Everything about that is terrible, but the forward controls kill me. What the gently caress would you do with it?

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Its just a standard o-ring, nothing special. As long as it was in good shape, it should be fine. You should technically be replacing that, the gian o-ring that goes around the flter cover and the two crush washers every time, but no one does.

I think he's saying it's missing, not old. Tell me more about those crush washers though. I didn't replace them despite the dire warnings in my guide about them freezing seizing and then I'd have to replace the whole engine. Overblown?

Did my first change on the DRZ this summer and noticed the same ring was gone. I just threw it back together without it. About 500 miles later everything seems fine, but at least we're going down together, right?

edit: VV yeah, that

ought ten fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Sep 23, 2013

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Oh, yeah, didnt get that. If its missing, replace it, as a decent amount of oil will just bypass the filter altogether.

Some will still go through, but there is nothing there to direct oil through the filter without that o-ring.

Well that's not what I wanted to hear at all.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Crossposting from the DC thread:

A bunch of 12 O'Clock Boys wannabes tore through my neighborhood couple nights back. I was coming home after a quick lap around the city when I passed a half dozen cops circled around an ATV and a kid on the ground at the Hess station at Florida and Rhode Island. Didn't think too much of it but when I got home my roommates said a whole bunch of them were blasting up and down our street, riding on the sidewalks, etc. I'm probably lucky I didn't get chased by the cops when I rode past them.

Edit: A correction thanks to hot sauce in the other thread, those were the infamous DC Wheelie and/or Glory Boyz

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPgk4s81zo8

ought ten fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Sep 25, 2013

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Yerok posted:

Exploded my chain clutching up second this morning on the way to class. Mashing refresh on the USPS tracking page for my chain and sprocket set.

Glad to hear that's all you need to replace. And I'm sorry there won't be any more distinguished pictures for a little bit.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

epalm posted:

The DRZ I bought came with that FMF pipe. It's pretty loud, and pops/burbles on light decel. From an observer perspective, it actually sounds pretty great. From the rider perspective, it forces me to wear earplugs, which I should be doing anyways, so that's actually good.

I'd say it's almost obnoxiously loud.

I'm still deciding if I want to rip it off and sell it, since the PO also included the stock pipe.

Seconding this. I thought tearing my fmf off would be the first thing I did when I got the bike home, but it's not so bad. Been 1.5 years and at this point I'll probably just leave it. It's loud and it pops like crazy but I'm not setting off car alarms or waking people up as long as I don't rev it to the moon as I'm toodling into my neighborhood.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

MetaJew posted:

Signed up for my first track day at the end of this month, and I picked up a GoPro Hero3 heavily discounted from REI. So, where should I mount it? Unless Ridesmart Track Days disallows it, I'm thinking I'll use the curved sticky mount to put it on the left side of my helmet at eye level. I think I'll hold off on the MotoGP-style rear end shots for now.

I don't have one myself but I've seen good results from a chin mount, with the camera hanging down from your helmet. Here are a couple vids shot like that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_zCj74q6RA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tn61NZG3mHc

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Anyone know what kind of gear you need? $200 + a plane ticket seems pretty reasonable.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

I suspect Spiffness has us all beat but I did something like 350 the day I picked up my DRZ. Charleston, WV to Washington, DC. It's the ones you love most that know how to hurt you worst.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Spoilers dude, jesus

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Street tires don't work so well on icy, muddy, springtime dirt roads. And it was a butt-clenchingly fun time.

edit: Here's me. Thanks acerbis fender!

ought ten fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Feb 20, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Don't skip those pre-ride checks, kids.

I did and this could have gone a lot worse for me. Found four spokes sheared off at the hub when I was putting my lock on after a first, very quick shakedown ride, my first in 3 months. Warp 9 wheels, put on by the previous owner. This bike's been stolen from the same spot before so there's a small chance someone popped the ends off these spokes somehow, but there's no damage around the holes in the hub and also that would be an idiotic and ineffective way to steal this bike.

I need to get in touch with Warp 9 and find out what the gently caress. I've seen complaints about cheap construction before, but Sisneros (who either did the conversion for this bike or was the inspiration) defends them and I had too until now. Not that I really had any basis for it except that they held the tires to the bike and went around in circles. There was a much thinner line between satisfied and unsatisfied then I knew. Lucky I found out this way and not the ambulance way.

• Locked thread