Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Nidhg00670000 posted:

KTM gives the "Weight without fuel approx." of the SMC-R as 140 kg (309 lbs). Add 9 kg (20 lbs) for fuel.

Suzuki claims the dry weight of the DRZ is 132 kg (291 lbs). Add 7 kg (15 lbs) for fuel, 1 kg (2 lbs) for coolant and 2 kgs (4 lbs) oils.

You forgot battery, and tires, and tubes, and the tool kit, and key and anything else you can physically remove from the bike.

Japanese dry weight is very dry.

DRZ is still lighter, but not by much.

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Despite the KTM slogan for the SMC-R being "Not a single gram of fat; only muscle" it is not a lightweight motard.

I'd say the slogan is pretty true. Aside from the huge exhaust can and emissions bullshit, you get a light weight subframe/gas tank (plastic), a tube frame, lightweight components all around, a 690CC engine, a functional set of gauges, 6 speed transmission and bobs your uncle. Not a lot of waste on that chassis that isn't government mandated. Aside from the ABS which I guess you could argue is unnecessary. Only the Husaberg FE 570 goes more extreme but that is quite the bike.

FlerpNerpin fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jan 4, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

MetaJew posted:

What would you guys value a 2013 Ducati Hyperstrada demo bike that has ~1000 miles on it? I'm thinking about trading in or selling my 625SMC and this one came up at the local dealership. I believe Ducati also has a $1500 discount on the the Hyperstrada which puts the MSRP at the same price as the '13 Hypermotard.

Why would you want a Hyperstrada?

What an ugly, confused machine. I mean, it's the worst parts of the HyperMotard with the polarizing looks of the multi with not as much usefulness.

Have you ridden one? The old ones were way more tame than they look and pretty weak for the price. At least now its water cooled and uses a derivative of the 848 engine, but there's gotta be better choices out there. You looking for a stripped down standard for touring duty basically then?

You should try to find a 990 SMT if that's what your looking for, I would think.

If the Hyperstrada is what your looking for than It's probably not a bad way to get one (slightly used with some kickbacks), seeing as how its a new model and the market doesn't really have used ones floating around. I mean they make it for a market, and maybe you're that market. If so, that's cool, tell us all about it (seriously).

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Knowing dealers, don't expect the offer to blow your socks off. I'd made offers on Demo 848 and 1198s that I backed out of because they just werent willing to deal that much. They'll sell it at whatever silly asking price they quote you, so haggle hard but don't be afraid to walk away unless you were going to pay MSRP anyway and this is just a cherry on-top.

The 625 is one of the older style and less friendly KTMs, so I get your feelings. There really is a world of difference between that and a 690 and other newer KTM products. They really got their poo poo together in about 2008/2009 and everything they've put out since then has been pretty well executed.

None of that is here nor there though, let us know if the Hyperstrada falls through and you start shopping for other options.

If I were in your shoes, looking for beefy naked bikes with a little bit of gravel road chops. I'd be shopping used 990 SuperDukes and SMT's, maybe an Aprilia Dosoduro, or used Hyper-Motards. The older ones a quite a bit lamer compared to the new ones (being heavier, less horsepower, fairly poo poo suspension with few or no adjustments) but you can find ones that have been dropped and people upside down on loans for 6-9K used. At that price you could buy it without being 100% in love with it but make up the interest deficit by railing it down fire roads not giving a poo poo if you scratch it.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

i forgot about the teeny gas tank.

Hyper-strada and hyper-motard, anyway you cut it, they're too expensive for what they are.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Nidhg00670000 posted:

The day I picked up the SMCR I put 137 miles on it. :v:

When I picked up my SMC at 4 PM on a Friday I didn't park it at my house until 10 AM the next morning after riding non-stop all night.

Nap + Oil change, and back on it until like 2 AM Sunday night. Sleep, work, repeat. I think I was approaching 2k miles on it by the following Friday.

FlerpNerpin fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Feb 10, 2014

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

The Connie's are $50 more betterer, IMO.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

How? I really can't picture a tire working noticeably better than the power does. It sticks everywhere, wears decent, goes well in dirt and gravel, rain is no problem. Not that it's untouchable, but it is kinda hard to improve on.

Connie's do all those things too but stick amazing when ice cold and wear beautifully in 100 degree track days. They are perfect in every spectrum. I'd goose the throttle on the 690 in the pissing rain pulling out of my drive way through a puddle that would always accumulate there to try to do a dong rolling burnout and they'd hook up every-drat-time. They're great. They also slide a lot more predictably when that's what you are making them do.

You can't go wrong either way but the conniforce's are seriously amazing tires.

You may not see as much of an improvement on a WR250 or DRZ but on bigger SMs or 450's you can over work a pilot power.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Just ride the drat thing

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

I've used the zip tied lever overnight to great effect several times. Its not voodoo.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Safety Dance posted:

"Worked for me once" isn't engineering. I don't trust it. And this is coming from a guy who rebuilt a broken clutch lever out of a length of pipe.

Mate, specifically used the word 'several' there.

A proper bleed is always step one but I've had stubborn systems not want to get that last air out. Overnight with a zip tie can and does work. It's not a loving magnet in a wrist strap exactly is it.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Christoff posted:

Back to hybrid chat for a minute.

For those that have ridden a 690 (Or hell even a 625) How does it feel compared to the DRZ? I understand with a few mods you can get the DRZ pretty quick. Plus I assume they're much lighter compared to the 690. My buddy had one and I should have asked to ride it. I assume it's got a lot more pep and is a wheelie monster and is just generally more fun for zooming around town being a hooligan. It was tough to get the front of my 690 SM (not C!) up.

Incoming wall of text from z3n :p

Also I'm going to ask again. Who wants to do a weekend/day sumo school in Southern California!?

Having owned both, and for a year, at the same time, I can answer this.

The 690 is a night and day difference in just about every way. Having a 6th gear is a huge, huge comfort. First thing I noticed was the brakes, second thing is how fast it was, 3rd thing was how comfortably I could cruise at 75 MPH. Easy.

I don't mind the cost involved so I don't have much to say there, you have to choose your own adventure on price.

The DRZ felt... like poo poo, afterwards, if I'm honest. But, it always had a charm. Whenever I'd hop on the DRZ I'd appreciate its low speed manners (0-20 MPH, very smooth) and how it was smaller. If I was going to do really tight low speed stuff, >20 MPH the DRZ was way more comfortable.

After the 690 my well moodded DRZ felt like... well like nothing happened when you turned the throttle. The 690 takes off so hard when you gas it...

But the DRZ had a charm to it. I always liked it. I didnt' want to sell it really, and passed it onto my brother for a while before really letting it go.

At the time I was trying to buy an 848 and while I was thinking on it I rode the DRZ for a quick ride down some of the nice roads where I was living. I loved everything about that bike and I thought to myself 'if I cant find a good deal on a 848, I'm going to buy a better one of these'. 2 days later I bought the 690 and it was absolutely everything i wanted it to be.

I can understand loving a DRZ, because I get it. I did that. I can't understand this insistence that it's the only choice. The only reason I'd ever buy another DRZ is if I couldn't afford a 690. It's just such a better package.

690 Cons:
- Aggressive throttle (Didn't bother me, some find it twitchy, you can do a lot about it if you put in the effort)
- Initial price, you gotta pay to play baby
- Some people say vibration. I think this is overblown. Older KTMs have a 'paint shaker' reputation. The LC4 is a lovely engine. It's a little vibey, but its also 650CC's and 65~ HP. You get a lot for your lovely rear view mirror clarity.

FlerpNerpin fucked around with this message at 02:02 on May 12, 2014

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

It did teach me good low speed clutch control. It just wants to take off.

There is a 'neutral throttle' position you can cruise in but if you tilt out of that it jumps to life. I admit a number of people who rode the 690 didn't like that about it. There are things you can do, as said but I didn't mind. I liked how it always wanted to GO GO GO. Made me feel like I was riding a monster, something that wanted to go out and play.

I could start a wheelie at 70 MPH in 5th gear on flat ground on that bike. It was loving amazing. At the same time, I needed to get into dirt biking and riding on the track for my own sanity and safety and I felt like I was letting the bike go to waste just commuting on it.

I think the new 690 Duke is maybe the most perfect bike ever designed as a result of my SMC experience, plus its like 8k or something hilariously low. What a loving bargain.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Availability is what it is, you gotta pay to play.

They pop up regularly around here so maybe its a bubble. More people should just buy them! You don't have to do dick too them once you have one so all the cost is up front!

I'm hoping the 390 happens and floods the market of the future with cheap well specced low weight reliable 43 HP SM's.

You are talking about very different prices though, and I was framing my response in the world of 'what are these two bikes like compared'. I'm not a financial planner... You can tell from my bike history.

You gotta pay like 6500+ to get into an SMC, that's not changing anytime soon.

You can probably get a duke for >9k OTD. KTM did me good both times I bought new from em'. I've had good dealer experiences but Seattle area has an unusually high number of dealers.

If you can't justify the cash for a 690 then don't ride one because you'll twist your own arm finding a way...

I want a 'Berg 570 someday to see how it compares to live with.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

In good condition, it's worth every penny at 8-10k

But yeah, you can get them here for 6500. If you want one, ping me I guess, I can help you find one and you can fly-n-ride.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

The bikes like to be stock (and run awesome stock)

Unless you put in the time and effort to tune it properly, most exhaust or intake or tuning modifications just gently caress it up. Zool put an exhaust and a remap on his and I never liked it, gutted the mid-range I thought. He eventually went bak to stock.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

690 has had a trellis for ages and the engine hasn't changed, except for bore/stroke in the latest 690CC variant. Whats wrong with a trellis?

They make skid plates just like they do for every dirt bike/motard.

I've watched Gullous jump his 690 and case it, wheelie it into trees, crash at hilarious speeds off road... they are tough. KTM used that chassis to win the Dakar how many times? Theyre up to 11 or 12 wins in a row now. Until Dakar banned it, the 690 engine was running.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Yerok posted:

You're right, I'm just being stupid. TBH I'm just jealous and can't afford a 690 until I get a real engineering job.

I don't know your being sarcastic but I really wasn't insulting your intelligence. I had some questions about its durability until I saw how Gullous rides his.

I came to the same conclusion that trellis doesn't mean scary myself.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

First goon to not buy that and buy a farkled DRZ is a fool

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Changing the oil on a thumper why not do it all the time.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Maybe its in your head, maybe you tuned out your midrange on accident. Clutchpuck is right. You've probably backyard'ed this about as far as you can. Get a dyno sheet, see what the line looks like, and approach as needed.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Akion posted:

Apparently it power-wheelies in 2nd pretty easily now.

front tire lifts half inch off the ground menacingly

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Might check for piss in your intake...

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Baller Witness Bro posted:

Plenty of ways to fix that up. FCR, exhaust, big bore, cams, etc. Blow as much money as you feel appropriate.

At the end of all that, you should have bought a 690. You can bore all you want, but you can never get a 6th gear.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Another 2k plated.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Slim Pickens posted:

Oh yeah, this thread exists still. :v:

Finally picked up tiny wheels for my oversized dirt bike. Husky SM610. I think once I wear the current tires out I'll try to convert to tubeless.

Come to Mac track on Edit: Saturday.

FlerpNerpin fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Aug 17, 2015

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

XYLOPAGUS posted:

My guess is 11 ish out the door.

This is the correct answer, it'll be 10500 or 11500

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

High Protein posted:

I've seen this leg position, sticking it straight forward, or dragging the foot along the tarmac. Do you know what's up with that? I took a dirt riding class once and they said to just stick your leg straight forward, but you often see supermoto ridings dragging foot.

On dirt you can very easily catch you foot on something and bust your poo poo up bad, the terrain is very varied.

On supermoto, it's pavement, put your leg wherever you have enough clearance and feels fine. There really is no hard and fast rule. You can ride SM style or Superbike style (hang off, knee dragging) all day every day and have a great time. As you spend time on a SM track you'll find that hanging off is loving exhausting and really doesn't feel necessary, and riding SM style will develop naturally because its what feels right.

On public roads you'll probably never corner hard enough for it to matter unless your railing tiny round abouts or setup cones in a parking lot

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

PFFT, drag bar:

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

epalm posted:

I think that's called "crashing" :confused:

Video has super lame editing but.... skip to about 1:16

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvN8BZ6FIaU

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

The first year, 08 had some flameout issues going from null to low throttle, but those should all be fixed by now. Dealers could fix it. That's basically it.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Oh that reminds me slim, I don't have you on facebook but go to http://www.cascadiasm.com. We have a local series again and if I recall, you have a husky. I'll be participating and racing as much as I can this year, as will most likely Gullous. Let me know if you want in on the action, you can catch a lift with us.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

It' going to be pretty casual. I wouldn't stress it too much, the group that's developing so far is in it for fun not for glory. They're building jumps for the pavement sections (Rad!) little kickers, plan to have dirt sections, but also have pavement only classes, lots of open classes, knobbies class, etc. Something for everyone.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

cursedshitbox posted:

a new drzsm runs ~9 thou out the door... I'd pay another 2 and get something with actual balls.

Also not designed before computers, made from pot steel and tuned for bunker fuel.

Actually, that would make a DRZ pretty sweet.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Having crashed a few my self, and borne witness to many crashes and multiple-crashed motards; none of them sustained anything I could call major or even moderate damage. A full set of plastics to freshen the look up is a few hundred bucks w/ graphics. If you don't have the means you don't have the means, but if you do, I highly recommend it.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

DO IT x1000

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

I'm so drat proud of you.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

GriszledMelkaba posted:

First bike I've had with ABS. The whole thing feels like I'm cheating at riding a motorcycle, everything is so effortless. I definitely quickly passed the phase of new purchase "oh god what have I done" feeling real quick with the first wheel loft. I recommend.

Also are axle sliders a worthwhile thing to put on or do they not really protect that much?

Almost all supermoto track days require them; so get em.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Its the 690cc (as opposed to 685 or w/e it was before) engine that the 690 SMC got in europe and the 690 Duke R got in the US. So its newer than the one in your 690 SM and makes a few more ponies but it's an evolution not revolution.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

I bought a 2009, it stalled like 4 or 5 times during the first 2k miles then went away for good. No issues for the 11k or 12k miles I had it. Room mate at the time had a 2008 SMC, no issues in the 4 years or so he had it.

Gullous rides his Enduro R hard as gently caress and it's had some issues but mostly because he was riding it like a hard core woods dirt bike in the super rough riding we have in western Washington and given that, it actually held up pretty well. It's not a dirt bike, its an enduro. If you treat it like a real dirt bike it'll develop issues, just like rallying your mothers SUV is going to cause issues.

Much of what ADV rider goes on about is overblown or super rare. A few people had a cam scoring issue that was a little nasty but I've never seen it outside that thread in ADV rider, and it's certainly not an epidemic. They're not perfect bikes, but the few things that do go wrong are generally easy to fix or easy to prevent.

I've got a personal pool of experience that covers 5 or 6 owners of these bikes now and nobody has had any serious issues. My 690 spent probably 1/4 of it's life on the track, supermoto and road courses. I beat the poo poo out of it on the street all the time and it never complained. Never even needed a valve adjustment.

I spent way more money and effort trying to turn my DRZ into something other than the Camry of supermotos than my 690 took to keep healthy.

FlerpNerpin fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Aug 30, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Ouch!

That is a laundry list of troubles. Teething issues with the redesign? Admittedly my experience with these bikes is in the 08-12 region, aside from Grizzled's 701. That's just had the standard "melt your own turn signal on exhaust side" issue.

I'd run from your particular bike with an issue list like that, and I'd be pretty pissed off.

What year is yours? I have a friend with a post Baja (aka Indian manufacturing influence) 690 Duke who's been trouble free but I think that's about as new as my direct interactions go.

• Locked thread