Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Right, so I sold my Harley this evening because the Brap was calling and I just couldn't resist it (also I got more than I paid for the bike, even after dropping it). I'm eyeballing a few different DRZ's locally. One appears to have a full Yosh pipe, ProTaper bars, I *think* a manual cam-chain tensioner and about 4800 on the clock for $4200.

EDIT: Blah blah blah blah other stuff.

I pick up my 2008 DRZ400SM on Thursday. I test rode it down a dirt road, over curbs, on sidewalks, and straight into my heart.

Brap Brap.

Akion fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Jul 16, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Yeah. I think I just ruined every non-supermoto motorcycle for myself, forever. I loving love this thing.

$4200. 2008 with 4800 miles. Has the 3x3 done, full Yosh pipe, Fender Eliminator w/edge light, ProTaper fat bars, and a few other little mods. Best money I've spent in a while, and so much more fun than my Harley was. Gonna either get BRAP or MOTARD as my vanity plate. My only concern is that the exhaust pops when decelerating, a lot. Is that normal?

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Baller Witness Bro posted:

That's normal IMO. Don't get overly concerned with it if it's running well otherwise.

Also, if you plan on riding street 99% of the time ditch those tires for something like Pilot Powers. They're really cheap and they stick like crazy. Ditching heavy/bulky dual sport tires makes it a whole different bike. Going to a smaller front sprocket can wake it up as well depending on the current gearing.

Honestly, I bought this thing for maximum hoonage potential. I live in CO, so I wanted to have fun on the twisties, but still be able to check out cool dirt/gravel roads I pass by.

I may get a second, dirt setup later, but right now this is what I have.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Radbot posted:

If your rides normally start at Los Carboncitos your bike won't be the only one going braaaaaap.

Are you stalking me? That's like... right up the street. We should go for a ride, man.

Coydog posted:

^^^^ What happened?

Akion, only if your sumo were white with slicker street tires could it look better. Otherwise, that's the best looking sumo I've ever seen in my life (ktm excluded). Good buy! I want your sumo with the force of seven suns. That full yoshi system is blowing my mind. Even my streetbike yoshi exhaust didn't come close to that visual styling. The bonkers zig zag rear logo, fat muffler, yoshi cutout heat shield on the header... :eyepop:

Enjoy it for me, please. It will be a long time before I can afford a sumo, or even another bike. :sigh:

Thanks! When I saw it on CL for the price, I was like "I can come down now, with cash, if you'd like?"

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer

axia posted:

Where at?
:hfive:

Denver.

Akion fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Jul 27, 2014

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer
So, I installed some R&G Racing Axle Sliders on my DRZ yesterday. Front went on without a hitch, but the back ones are a little loose (the slider can spin on the spindle). Is that normal? Can I just stack some more washers on there to make it stop?

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Rode dirt for the first time today. The Distanzias performed well enough, much better than my testicular fortitude allowed me to.

Also, powering straight through the middle of a river crossing is... interesting. One guy in the group had his built DRZ (470) die, so him and another guy took my bike back to his trailer since it had passenger pegs, and I rode the other guys WR450. I spent the whole ride home telling myself I just bought the DRZ and that I don't need a 450.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VeAOda8fQ-g

Akion fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Aug 12, 2014

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Jesus. I'd been wanting a 690SMC, but you guys make this poo poo sound like owning a spaceship or something.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer
If you're really worried, I'll trade you my DRZ. :D

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Yerok posted:

I get all worried about whether or not the jetting on the DRZ is totally perfect then I grab second really hard and stop caring most of the time.

I'm wondering if mine is the source of my poor MPG. I'm getting an FCR39 for $200, so I guess once I install that I'll know it's jetted right.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer
I need to stop breaking traffic laws and riding aggressively, but god dammit Supermotos make it so easy. :(

Found a great shortcut from my house into downtown the other day. I only have to ride over a pedestrian footbridge, down about 200 yards of bikepath, then through a construction site and up a sweet little kicker into a parking lot.

:cripes:

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer
So I have an offer for:

1 set of DRZ-S wheels with dirt tires (condition unknown), with sprocket and rotors
1 almost-new set of Distanzias, mounted to my current wheels
1 FCR-39MX Carb
1 New Clutch Pack
1 Cargo Rack w/side-mounted toolkit

for $1100. For another $70 I can get an SM rotor on the S wheels so I don't have to gently caress with my caliper when I want to swap.

This seems like a good deal to me. Am I dumb not to take it?

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Just from a buddy. I'd be doing the work myself other than mounting the Distanzias.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer

I'd think you could find dirt wheels from someone that converted an S for under 500 for sure. Clutch kits are sub 100. FCR's seem pretty variable - I'd think you could find one for 300 or less pretty easy but ThumperTalk classifieds change their format and it seems to be a lot less used now than it used to be IMO. It used to be the place to go for FCR's and DRZ farkles.

Not sure about the cargo rack but I'd expect 100 bucks or less on that if it's just the generic DRZ one. Distanzias are probably what - 250 a set + mounting? I'm not current on their prices.

I guess that's not terrible. Anyone else wanna weigh in? I think you should do the rotor if it matches the SM rotor size (310mm IIRC?) so that you don't have to gently caress with a relocator bracket or something.

e: Reminder though that with Distanzias on now it'll probably be fine in the dirt. If you're not going to be doing a ton of offroad I'd just skip it personally. I rode a dirt day around a little dinky track on Pilot Powers and didn't have any trouble. Distanzias would probably be just fine if you don't put yourself in a situation where you need max traction.

double e: It looks like from the pics you posted in this thread you've only ever had distanzias on there. Please please please put some pilot powers or something on there. It's loving unreal how fun sportbike tires are on DRZ's. My first DRZ had distanzias on there and it felt like both wheels had cinder blocks tied to them. Swapping them out made it a brand new bike.

gently caress. I want a supermoto again :(

Well, I wanted to go to the S wheels for the winter, as well as riding the CO Backcountry Discovery Trail next year. I like the Distanzias as a "Does everything pretty okay" solution, but wouldn't mind trying some PP's.

You should get another Supermoto. They are the bestestest.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer

McTinkerson posted:

Basically - why can't I find one of the many many sub $4k FI YZ's next spring and build my own?

Here in Colorado all it takes is:
-Headlight
-Tail Light
-Mirror
-Horn

and about $50 to the State Patrol for an inspection.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Guy on a Hypermotard waved me by in the twisties yesterday. I can't decide how this makes me feel.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Marxalot posted:

People put the -red- loctite on the CS nut/sprocket? I just used a little of the blue stuff and thought I was going to hurt myself getting that thing off.

Seems a bit overkill, but that's thumpertalk I guess.

Weak. My CS sprocket is made of Red Loctite.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Did my first track day yesterday with a big SuperMoto group I ride with. We went to IMI in Dacono, CO and ran on their Go Kart track. First few laps were I was kind of nervous, but the second and third sessions I was more focused on maintaining my lines and getting low in the turns. Scraped toe a few times because I'm still trying to get a knee down instead of kicking my foot out.

It was a blast, and well worth the $40 price of admission. As the day wore on it got more crowded, with several really aggressive guys on Sportsbikes. They weren't a problem for most of the more seasoned guys (including one who was a pro AMA Supermoto racer, and he spanked the poo poo out of them) but it was a bit off-putting to have them undercut me in a corner.

Eventually they started flagging us in after 15 minutes so all the Go Karts could go for an hour, so we packed it in.

Probably 4 guys went down all day, two low-sides early that the guys walked away from (worst damage was a broken brake reservoir). On the last session, a guys YZ went boom as he was passing me. The oil slick took out two bikers, a KLX and a Panigale. KLX got a bent brake lever, Panigale got a broken mirror and a bit of scuffing on the clutch cover.

Pic of the blown up YZ motor.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Going down to my buddies place to get my DRZ back tomorrow. He did the 3x3, FCR39MX and jetted it for me. Guy is a broker and has had a ton of DRZ's had had this to say "This is the strongest DRZ motor I have seen".

Apparently it power-wheelies in 2nd pretty easily now.

So excited. Been a week since I've had any Brap in my life.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Spiffness posted:

front tire lifts half inch off the ground menacingly

Probably. :(

I live in the city, so wheelies are a bad idea anyway.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer
This thing is fuuuuuuuuun. I think I might have a little bit of something floating around in the carb, though. I have an intermittent issue where at low RPM the bike stumbles. If you snap the throttle open ~1/8 it will kind of bog when this is happening, and holding the throttle open 1/8 under load (IE, driving down the road) causes it to stumble as well.

Gonna run the poo poo out of the bike and see if I can blow whatever it is out of the carb. I don't think it's an AP or jetting issue because the bike runs great otherwise, and the issue isn't constant.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer

robotsinmyhead posted:

I should've gotten a better picture - there's a caged circular filter inside, I just don't remember if there was another loose filter in the opening pictured.

Nope. Just that one. Here is a pic of mine with a TwinAir installed:

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer
I'm pretty happy with my FCR'd/Yosh'd DRZ. I live in the city, so it's not like I need a 6th gear for anything.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Don't ever ride anything more powerful or this feeling can never return.

I rode a WR450. It was nice but not "$3500 more" nice.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer
PM me if you want. I have a buddy down in Parker that is a broker and usually has 5-10 SuMo's in his garage.

Also, PM me so I can get you added to the Mile High Motards group. We do stupid stuff and track days.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer
EDIT - Wrong thread.

Akion fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Apr 6, 2015

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

Didn't think about it that way.

I quite like the nimbleness of my DRZ. It can be a bit gutless at times but perfect for tearing rear end around the city and not as bad as I thought it'd be on the freeway

I put an FX39 FCR39MX, pipe and 3x3 on mine and it felt like a new bike. I thought I wanted a 434 kit but really at this point I am pretty happy with the way it rides.

Akion fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Apr 7, 2015

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

Yeah what's up anyways? Recently got a '13. Previous owner said he did 3x3 mod and had it jetted. It's still on stock pipe but he said it was "gutted," whatever that means. What's the best power for my money here? It definitely has kick but I feel like it just needs a lil' extra pep. The bummer here is that I actually like the look of the flat black stock exhaust. And exhaust always seem like $600 investments for 1 hp and sound.

I'd like to try a 690 SMC. My 2007 SM was more a "cruiser" geared super moto. Nowhere near the SMC. SMC seems borderline too big, though. Great all around bike I'm sure. But I feel like there are no limits on a DRZ

FCR39MX is generally regarded as the best $/hp ratio (other than the 3x3, which is free) I believe.

I'd say do a full pipe (I have a Yosh and I like it. The MSR SSW will give you a little more power but it's a lot louder), verify 3x3 was done and the bike is jetted right and then ride it a bit. If you still need more oomph, get an FCR.

Pipes aren't always about raw HP gains. They can also change where power is delivered.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

I'm new to carbd. FCR is a new carb right? or something? How much am I looking at her $ wise? Full yosh looks like about $600 or so. Yikes. Trying to find one new. Am willing to spend for quality though.

Yep. FCR39MX is a 39mm Carb.

Yeah, full pipes can get pricey. Where are you located?

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer
So a buddies DRZ400SM got stolen last night like, 10 blocks from where mine is currently parked on the street. :ohdear:

I need to go buy a disc lock.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer

builds character posted:

So I also had a DRZ stolen which was sad and after reading lots of internet and talking to the cops (who were not helpful) and various other folks (who were also not helpful - "It's a DRZ, you never really own it, you're just borrowing it until someone steals it."), here's my advice: get comprehensive insurance, and also, disc lock on the rear wheel, chain it to something if you can and, most importantly, cover it so the lazy/opportunistic thieves just see a covered bike.

Oh, I've always had and always will carry comprehensive on my bikes.

Still would be annoying to have it get stolen. Planning to go disc lock shopping this weekend as I just moved into my place where I have to street park it. I'm hoping the lady that runs the HOA sells her unit soon, so I can take over it and change the "No motorcycles chained to the walls" rule.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer

cursedshitbox posted:

Clean out yo mailbox fucker. 12th or 19th? This weekend its motocamping at knoxville.

DRZ thievery: Chain the loving frame to something bigger than a drz. and comprehensive, always comprehensive.

I park it in front of my truck. I've considered running a chain through the frame and around the brushguard on my truck.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer
So the cops recovered my stolen DRZ. Apparently it lead them to the thieves impressive collection of stolen ID's, Credit Cards, and Passports.

Insurance already paid me out, and the detective said the bike was well and proper hosed (spraypainted, numbers filed off, etc...) Progressive doesn't do buybacks but it's going to auction and my buddy is a dealer so we'll see.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer
What's the out-the-door price on that 701?

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Was there a difference between the normal 690 and the SMC other than the wheels/brakes?

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer

cursedshitbox posted:

Get an actual supermoto suit. Its worth it.

Can confirm. I rode in a sportbike suit for a while and when it came time to stand up, you kind of had to pick a side or endure some pretty gnarly testicular trauma. It may also have been a bit small, but you know...

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer
I've finally gotten over the heartbreak of my DRZ being stolen in 2015 and may be buying a WR250X this weekend.

2008, 1k miles, fender eliminator and hand guards but otherwise stock. $4k USD.

Buying the biggest fuckoff chain I can find and a claymore mine to go with it.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Yeah. I'm shopping covers, chains, and disc locks. What's the conventional wisdom on disc locks re:Alarms? Is it going to go off all the time and annoy my neighbors? I have a tree out front I'm intending to chain it to.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer
loving finally back in the SuMo game with a 2008 WR250X. I tried to buy 3 of them, and all 3 times they either got sold out from under me or the seller backed out.

Here's hoping for another Indian Summer here in Colorado.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Coydog posted:

Congrats and enjoy! Those are some of the best supermotos you can ride. Bonus protip: They have a 350 watt stator STOCK, so you can make it an indian summer in the middle of January. I dream of having that much wattage available.

I do miss your old DRZ, though :(

That DRZ was just such a great bike. FCR, Exhaust, and it was perfect.

The 250x is geared down, so it accelerates really well but the exhaust (FMF Q4) is obnoxiously loud. I've got to get a silencer for it.

Went for a ride to my happy place tonight:

Akion fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Sep 25, 2018

• Locked thread