Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.

Jenova Project posted:

I played the Neverwinter Nights conversion of Tomb of Horrors with a couple of other people at a LAN party... Ended up cheating our asses off because GOD drat that instakill floating skull guy.

Can this be found anywhere online? A search doesn't seem to turn it up. I'm amazed that there's actually a computer game of this horror.

Edit: Nevermind, I found it. Like an idiot, I searched for 'Tomb of Terror'. Play and 'enjoy'.

BiggerJ fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Apr 21, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.
While reading this article, I couldn't stop thinking about what rabid fans of the systems you're parodying would think. How much hate-mail do you guys get? Can we see a sampling? Or do RPG nerds somehow have a (gasp!) sense of humor?

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

I like how the interplay between Zack and Steve has been evolving over time. Zack started out railroading like Thomas the frigging Tank Engine, then Steve figured out how to metagame, and now Zack is at least partly willing to put up with Steve's poo poo (if only because he didn't know how bards work and undoubtedly didn't like the possibility of them being loving useless).

BiggerJ fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Oct 15, 2010

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

Will the contest campaign and playthrough ever be made? Or have they been forgotten?

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

Sorry to double-post, but I'm a little worried about the content campaign/playthrough. Have you guys given up on it?

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

elpintogrande posted:

I apologize and I apologize especially to the authors, but we are not going to be doing a playthrough of the rooms. The rules aspect wasn't the problem - we don't really pay much attention to the rules - the problem was more conceptual. Almost every entry was trying to be funny in some way, which works great as entries in a contest, but does not make for the best in a satirical play-through. From our end the contest was pretty heavily flawed all around and we'll be doing something much different and simpler next year.

To reiterate, the entries we received were awesome, this is not the fault in any way of all the great contributors, we just didn't think this whole thing through very well.

Will the module still be released?

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

I like how the silly backstories of several of the characters imply their reasons for being interested in the occult: a couple of bored old spinsters who hold seances for fun, a pilot who had his career ended by his insistence that weird poo poo is real, and a woman who discovered that she has no recollection of being in the filthiest film ever made. And there's also Chang, who may be pretending (or at least continuing to pretend after an initial misunderstanding) to be a mysterious Chinaman just so he can hang around interesting wealthy people and find excitement. That's good writing, right there.

BiggerJ fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Jul 28, 2012

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

gleebster posted:

Am I wrong, in my mind's eye, to envision Cecil Talbot as Percy Dovetonsils with firearms?

I'll just look up who that is and oh my god.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

tripwood posted:

If you can really roll something that makes you shoot yourself in the head, it's amazing.

I'm no expert, but yeah, probably. Call of Cthulhu is famous for its sanity stat.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

elpintogrande posted:

I figured more of the party was going to die earlier. I'm still going to use his creations, but I will make the replacement for Cecil that will be the main character next time.

This'll be interesting to see. You are more or less the 'straight-man' of this comedy routine, and Steve is the more wacky guy. In Scenario One, Steve controlled the non-main characters that you created. In Scenario Three, he'll be controlling Sharon, Chang, and his own creations Samson and presumably two others originally made for Scenario Two.

The tradition of surprisingly good party members somehow continues. Samson, despite having been created by Steve and literally being Karnov, has a good backstory. Perhaps he was smitten with Rat Kelly, but did not dare pursue a relationship with her, for fear of discovering her origins (her rat body may also have been a factor). Or perhaps she was simply the first thing to make him truly curious (he is, after all, normally rather pragmatic). At any rate, after her disappearance, he began pursuing the supernatural, perhaps out of mere curiosity or out of anger at his own cowardice.

BiggerJ fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Aug 17, 2012

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

I had an idea in the shower, and as a result, I shall now write a brief but no less real work of WTF DnD fanfiction about Session 3:

Steve: Okay, I know you're not looking for to me controlling two of my own creations in your party. I know you don't think I 'take things seriously' or 'display typical human intelligence'. But I've thought these guys through. Like this guy. A foreign painter who, unhappy with his performance ever since graduating from art school, and thinking that he has the potential something greater, seeks supernatural phenomena to serve as inspiration.

Zack: Not terrible, but... you do realize you're ripping off Pickman's Model, right? Is this as good as it gets from you?

Steve: His name is Adolf Hitler.

Zack: ...Remind me never to complain to you again.

Steve: I do. But it never works.

BiggerJ fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Aug 18, 2012

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

Is Episode 3 still coming?

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

Elpintogrande, since a bunch of people posted, will the series continue now or not?

neoboman posted:

Meaning the response has been poor? I like this series, especially since I've never played this game and it seems pretty fun, although most of the best characters are dead (Cecil, Karnov). At least Chang lives.

I think he may have been referring to the fact that his post announcing the third session got no replies for five and a half hours. But then a bunch of people posted so now it's all up in the air.

BiggerJ fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Sep 28, 2012

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

Elpintogrande: Thanks for reconsidering. And if you want feedback, it'd be best to say so at the end of the next article. This isn't the most popular subforum.

BiggerJ fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Oct 11, 2012

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

Cry Havoc posted:

Another mistake was "Yadda" instead of "Beth" on the third page. Immersion ruined.

*Burns my copy of Liminal States*

I'm sure Lowtax will let them edit the article once they go through the correct process. Which probably involves letting Lowtax's daughters hit them in the groin for a while.

elpintogrande posted:

It was a genuine mistake that I refused to take out.

Please say you got wistful about Truth Media, because God knows I just did.

BiggerJ fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Jun 14, 2013

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

Trivia: Yadda being called a 'Yoda creature' is perfectly accurate. Yoda's species is the one species from the movies that George Lucas forbade EU authors from exploring.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

Danger-Pumpkin posted:

http://www.somethingawful.com/d/dungeons-and-dragons/ray-obannon-art.php?page=1

I would kill to see Everdraed or someone animate that flipper-baby Nosferatu thing.

I would pay money for a gamebook featuring his art. I wonder if he'd be okay with it being used comedically.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

Are you still going to do that Monster Manual contest?

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

djwetmouse posted:

So I made an entry before the contest was changed to wrestlers and Cthulhu, is that entry no loner valid?

It is literally impossible to tell whether you are joking because internet, but in case you aren't:

"The artwork doesn't have to be from the module, any 1990s Cthulhu artwork is great, from your own original 1990s Cthulhu ideas to scenes from the past Call of Cobain adventures, random hooks from the Lollapaloozicon, or inspiring cover art for Hard Ticket to Baghdad."

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What's to understand? The Nazis have their own arcane wolfy organization thing going on, but the ancient stuff it's making use of has nothing to do with wolves, or anything else conprehensible by human minds. The key to horror is the unknown - the common source of all fear.

Speaking of which: that ending. Awwwwesoooooooome. When Steve can't make a crack about something, you know it's done it's job.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

If they just need someone to pay them then they should do one of those fancy Patreons.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

The Patreon is up. While The Bad Guys Win is weekly, WTF D&D will be monthly unless you THROW MONEY RIGHT AT THEIR STUPID FAT FACES AAAAAAAAAAAAAA

They're currently getting $25 a month, and $100 will double the update rate ($200 will quadruple it).

Edit: Holy poo poo, someone just pledged $100 a month. Don't forget, it's monthly (payments are automatically made around the start of each month, but only if the pledging was active during the previous month - if you pledge early in a month your first payment will be the following month).

BiggerJ fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Oct 18, 2015

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

gnarlyhotep posted:

Ok I did the $100 one, now Steve has to run a dungeon for me! ahahahahahaaa!!

(this sounds really cool)

You're aware it's monthly, right? Patreon's still kinda newish and I'd hate for there to be a misunderstanding. Even if you weren't aware it's monthly, you can pull out after the first payment goes through, but if that causes the total to go below $100 that'll mean only one month of fortnightly updates.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

Yeah,. we should prop him up. If we can get this thing to $200 a month there won't be as much pressure on him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

DalaranJ posted:

Please keep us updated about whether Steve is a real person.

To me, Steve is somewhere between Gabe from Penny Arcade and Max from Sam and Max.

• Locked thread