Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

I used to play at a fairly reasonable level but age and laziness has caught up on me and I'm now reduced to cameo appearances for a Sunday league team. I'm only twenty-eight so I still have hopes of getting back to playing decent football but it's loving hard work.

I've played most of my life in mid-field or a second striker role. I've never been much of a goal scorer but feel that my greatest asset is having an eye for a good pass. As for who I play like well I'd like to think a really poo poo Michael Laudrup (we share the same name after all!) but I'd probably have more in common with a really poo poo Ali Dia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Already about two and a half months out with a ruptured Achilles and can pretty much expect not to play for the rest of this year. What a lovely loving injury.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

ibroxmassive posted:

poo poo man :( You getting the weird pogo-stick crutch?

Plaster for the first two weeks. Then moon boot for a month and now heal raises in shoes for a month. Then a whole lot of physio I guess. Happened in our last game of the season too :(

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

euroboy posted:

So, which boots should I get? My ancient copa mundials are literally falling apart and I've been thinking about upgrading them to one of those new fancydan boots so I can do tricks like Messi. Any suggestions?

Get new Copas. Seriously, the best boot.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

nervana posted:

First injury ever. Landed on my ankle after jumping to block a shot, with a disgusting sound of somrthing snapping :( prolly torn ligamrnent. i got a splint done in the er, prelim xrays showed no fractures fortunately.. its been three days and my foot is getting bigger and bigger :( seeing the doc again tmr, wish me luck! Its not too bad, but i want to be able to walk again!

I feel you buddy. I'm out for the entire year and it sucks balls.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

calcio posted:

Wrong, the best boot is the adiPure III TRX

Yeah they are pretty nice. I was actually considering buying a pair for this season but my leg exploded.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

calcio posted:

Ouch, sorry to hear. Do we actually want details on "exploded" :geno:

When you recover you really should pick them up. They do stretch a little but they feel just so perfect. Also, screw Nike boots forever.

Yeah my leg literally exploded. The other team almost passed me to death.

I ruptured my Achilles in the last game of the season last year. Looking at about fourteen months on the sideline :(

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Six months after rupturing my Achilles tendon I'm about to start training again. I'm running pretty freely now but I'm a little anxious about turning quickly on it. Really don't want to be a cripple for the next six months :ohdear:

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Finally back playing indoor after almost a year out with a ruptured Achilles. So happy to be playing again but god drat am I unfit. In my game last week I subbed off about five minutes in and in a daze stumbled into a bathroom (ladies) and threw up :( Came back and finished the game and filled in for another team afterwards though. Hopefully tonight's game is easier.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Don't wear kneepads you pansy

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Bobby Digital posted:

Welp, just picked up the Copa samba edition:

The accents are more orange than I expected from the promo photos.

Think I'll get myself a pair of those. Where did you get them?

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Akbar posted:

How are there so many goalies in this thread?

Using your feet in sport is unamercian

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Have a pretty exciting game this evening.

We're in second spot and we're playing top spot in the last game of the season (first half of the season is a grading round second half the league divides into three where you play each team). We need to beat them by two and hope the team below us doesn't thrash whoever they're playing.

We beat them in the grading round 4-3 but they're pretty handy so should be a good game.

Jesus loving christ. The moronic team playing the third place team manage to lose by eight goals thus making it virtually impossible for us.

Ewar Woowar fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Sep 15, 2014

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

straight up brolic posted:

who itt got furthest in the profession of football?

I'm poo poo.

I played in the same teams as some international and Championship players in my late teens :smug:

I live in New Zealand :downs:

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Has anyone ever owned a pair of Pantofola football boots?

I quite like the look of these
http://www.prodirectsoccer.com/Products/Pantofola-dOro-Football-Boots-Pantofola-d%27Oro-Team-Bianco-PU-Soccer-Cleats-White-62009.aspx

Wish I could justify buying these
http://www.prodirectsoccer.com/Prod...lver-82132.aspx
:stare:

Ewar Woowar fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Oct 23, 2014

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

I've scored two free kicks in my last two games :smug: That's three goals in three games this season so far. If I manage to make it four from four I'm rewarding myself with these bad boys

A hundred and sixty pound is pretty steep tbh but I don't think they'll come down in price and they're pretty hard to get hold of.

Also just bought these for indoor. Hopefully they arrive before our next game on Monday!

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Oh sweet, are they are reliable site? Also they deliver to my backwater country...yay!

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

I just did my MCL and meniscus. While I'm thankful I didn't do my ACL this poo poo hurts and is really inconvenient. After going my whole career without injuries I've now done this and snapped my Achilles in the space of a few years. I guess at 34 my body is finally telling me to slow down

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

TheBigAristotle posted:

Man, that sucks. Knock wood I've mostly avoided injuries in my first 28 years but I fear doing in my knee as well.

Good luck on the recovery.

I've always played a lot of football so I've been really lucky to avoid anything serious up until now. Both injuries have come from playing indoor football- the hard courts just put way more stress on your body when you quickly turn (which is how I did this and my Achilles).

I was just about to buy a new pair of F50's so guess I'll just be needing the one boot now :unsmith:

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

So, after doing my MCL and fracturing my knee in February I'm finally back playing football. Played today in terrible weather and managed to bang home a 35 yarder. We lost 3-1 and butchered a ton of opportunities but it felt pretty good to play and score again :unsmith:

I actually gave serious thought to giving up after I did my knee, it's my second horrible injury since snapping my Achilles a few years ago. At almost thirty-five I definitely have lost most of my pace and with the knee going my agility is hosed. Glad I've kept with it though, I'd miss it too much I think.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Chas McGill posted:

loving hell.

I gave up on fives after I hosed up my ankle in August. It still swells up when I'm doing other exercise for some reason. I have no excuse if you're back playing after all that.

Honestly you should get back into it. I don't want to be old(er) and look back with regret that I didn't keep playing. Even if you're just playing at a social level it's worth it.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

mushi posted:

Also unrelated to the game part, I like how indoor facilities/leagues are at the same place every week. Some of the outdoor leagues here (and in Seattle) sending you to pitches an hour away during rush hour traffic is annoying as poo poo. Indoor does suck in summer when it's like 90 degrees with no air conditioning though.

I'll be honest, I absolutely love indoor football and futsal but playing on courts gently caress up your knees even more and, imo, it's easier to pick up injuries. I did both my MCL and Achilles on a court (the same court in the exact same place crazily enough) so I'm pretty hesitant to get back into it. Admittedly it might be the way I play as I do have a propensity to turn quickly which is obviously hard on your ligaments etc.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Vinestalk posted:

I think Ewar's talking about the hardwood or similar hard surface courts that a lot of futsal is played on. Just like basketball, it is hell on your joints just because of the constant impact on a hard surface.

Yeah it's this. Both serious injuries have come from planting my left leg and pushing off on it to turn. I went back after the first injury but after my knee went I'm not prepared to risk my outdoor football.

I work with a former international basketballer and his knee and ankle are absolutely destroyed because of it.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Drogadon posted:

thats what I've been doing lately when playing goal on turf, tights are good enuogh to not destroy your knees

Gabor Kiraly used to wear pants in goal when he was in the Premier League.

Also I would make fun of someone wearing knee pads in a football game.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

I've always celebrated by shaking my fist- kinda like I'm giving an invisible dude a handjob. I don't plan to do this, just seems like the natural reaction to scoring :confused:

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

My mate scored a 90th minute equalizer in the last game of the season (pretty tasty free kick) that meant we went undefeated. He took off his shirt and got yellow carded haha.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Has anyone here done their MCL?

I did mine in February and I'm still getting quite a bit of discomfort. I can still play but I've lost a ton of mobility and agility. Admittedly this could just be because I'm now thirty five :(

I think next year might be my last year of playing competitively. Getting old is real loving poo poo yo

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Bogan Krkic posted:

I think I might have damaged mine a few months ago but I never went and got scans and it seems to be back to ~90% fitness so idk. Had a mate that smashed up his MCL and PCL more than a year ago, came back to playing after about 6 months, turned on it wrong again and it just collapsed, and he hasn't been game to play since.

What sort of discomfort are you still getting? Just soreness in the knee?

Yeah massive joint pain when sleeping or sitting in certain positions. Also struggling to bring a ball down on my left foot as well as I used to as my leg doesn't seem to move the way it used to. Also it still feels really bruised- which seems odd since it happened in February

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

So after doing my Achilles a few years ago I came back only to do my MCL this year. Got back playing and did my ankle last night. Sign me up Wengy!

Thankfully it's just bruised and swollen and hopefully I'll only be out a few weeks. Being old loving sucks lads.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Twat le Piss posted:

:hellyeah:

Achilles is a bitch, especially when the surgeon says in the diagnosis that it's a typical middle aged sports injury! I'm in my 30s you arse!!!

I actually thought the MCL was worse than snapping NY Achilles. Once the latter healed I had lost a bit of pace but no problems with anything else. The MCL is still causing me problems and I've lost a lot of pace and a ton of agility. I'm 35 now so age is probably having a noticeable effect too.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Alctel posted:

So I was playing outside at the start of June, running onto the ball and got blindsided by a dump truck disguised as a tiny 5' girl

With this result

leading to this

No breaks, but I apparently BADLY sprained both sets of ligaments on either side of my foot AND pulled the Achilles. I have no idea how the gently caress I managed to do all three of them but it sucked.

Playing again for the first time this week, gonna take it super easy. I'm 33 and getting old sucks :(

Ouch dude, that looks pretty unpleasant. Would have thought it would have been a longer spell on the sidelines than it was.

Speaking of the Achilles our goalkeeper just did his an hour or so ago. Looked like a really bad tear and I would be very surprised if he came back to play at all.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

I get a red card for fighting in my last game and am banned for the rest of the season :downs:

I play up front and their centre back had been kicking lumps out of me all game so I squared up to him and he just started throwing. It's been a long time since I've been in that situation so it kinda took me a couple of punches to the head to actually react. I managed to throw him on the ground and get a few punches in before it got broken up. Surprisingly I had no bruises or anything after and he had a couple of nasty welts on the side of his head. While I felt tough for a few minutes it kinda subsided into embarrassment.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Shrapnig posted:

That's not a knock on you or anything but chasing around 18 and 19 year old kids straight out of high school isn't great

I enjoy it. I used to be a relatively quick winger in my younger days and I'd always come up against old slow centre backs who'd pull my shirt, block my runs, clip my ankles and all other sorts of nigly poo poo. Well now I'm one of them and I have to say it's pretty great. If you don't enjoy muscling some little punks off the ball and them whinging to the ref about you being a oval office then you don't know what you're missing.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Arquebus posted:

First competitive match! Lost 5-0. Played mostly at rightback (a little near the start as leftback which felt a lot less comfortable), my first and hopefully last experience with a weird artificial pitch. We tired late on in the match, their left winger was extremely fast, I'm... kind of not extremely fast, our right winger during the late stages was a lazy oval office and the only person on the entire pitch not putting a shift in (either in defence or attack) so I got overrun by multiple guys and murdered repeatedly. I really need to learn to just foul people.

Was still a great experience! And we were missing a few of our really good defenders, so hopefully we'll be crushed less when the season proper starts in two weeks (this was just some kind of pre-season friendly tournament... thing).

Best way to foul opposing wingers quicker than you is to guess which way they're going to go and try block their run when you turn. You can get away with it half the time and it's unlikely going to result in a yellow card.

Failing that give him a Ben Thatcher
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4v0CdBqUmNA

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

I loved indoor and futsal but after snapping my Achilles playing and then doing my MCL a couple of years later (in the same league and on the same part of the pitch no less) I had to give it up. It's just too hard on my joints after playing for so long (I'm now 36). Definitely miss it though.

Finally started playing with the older lads now and joined an over 35 side. It's pretty fun as there are some great players that have absolutely no running. Means that when you get done it's down to skill rather than athleticism. Still though, as I just qualify for the side I'm one of the quickest. Because of that I'm back playing where I started off when I was young and am playing left wing. Had an interesting career LW/RW->CM->ST->CB->LW

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

pangstrom posted:

Become a keeper and your journey towards the dark side will be complete.

I actually filled in for a mate's team in goal and it was pretty fun. It's hard to train yourself out of using your feet to make saves though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Tongues posted:

Can we all just agree that being a goalkeeper is poo poo in general and worse on a pitch that acts as a cheese grater whenever you make a dive

I don't mind it for a laugh to be honest. I find my positioning, kicking, coming off the line, and being able to play the ball out is all pretty fine...I just find it incredibly unnatural to dive and save things with my hands. This obviously makes me a pretty poo poo keeper but fortunately I've only played in goal when it's been filling in for a mates super poo poo social team.