Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

Woof! Woof! posted:

Do certain brands tend to trend wider or narrower? Not everywhere has every boot so I wasn't sure if there was a guideline. I'll check out the Tiempo and Mercurials.
I have really really wide feet and it's been a struggle. When I was young I just wore normal cleats and it hosed me up so consistently with blisters/bleeding/infections I actually had a weird toenail surgery so my big toenails don't have a "nail groove" on the inside anymore. Then a lightbulb belatedly went off when I got my first pair of adult formal-ish shoes and I realized I needed to get SIGNIFICANTLY WIDER SHOES. For years I managed to find diadoras and kelmes and patricks and semi-off-brands like with wide models (I think I got some adidas "tune-it" shoe with a superwide outsole once, too, which was fine except for it was well over $200 and the cleats were always unscrewing in field turf).

Anyway, Adidas and Nike have stamped out a lot of the fringe brands so now it's sort of like having a quaalude addiction in that nobody has what I'm looking for anymore. Luckily the Japanese tend to have wide feet and so I bought a pair of Mizuno Supersonic Wave 3 and a pair of Asics DS Light 6 Wide through some intermediary on ebay. They're both fine, if I had to recommend one it would be the Mizuno, but unless you're in Japan you're going to have to overpay like I did. I still have a couple indoor Kelme wide shoes that they don't make anymore that will probably take me to the end of my playing days, so I don't have any advice there. My general advice would be
1) don't count on stretching... all else being equal yeah get the stretchy kangaroo leather or thin synthetic or whatever but it doesn't actually take you that far and it takes a while and a lot of wear to get even there.
2) after fit it really doesn't matter much. Unless you're verging on going pro don't worry about an ounce here or there or the gripping material for free kicks etc. It's sort of like cars -- you have to really try to get a shoddy pair of shoes nowadays.

pangstrom fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Nov 6, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

Bobby Digital posted:

My title game tonight went to 10 rounds of penalties. I saved 6 of them and made mine; their goalie saved one and we put 6 wide or over.
Is this indoor with little goals, or do you play for England?

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

Tigren posted:

Playing defense is always a rarity. Even fatties think they can play striker and wander around the field. If you can play defense and have the discipline not to sprint to a forward position at every inopportune moment, you'll find a team everywhere.
Yeah, this is true (even more true for keepers, at least here -- I started playing keeper for a few teams and I still get emails from people who know people I barely knew etc.). It tends to snowball late in casual games, especially, where you see a lot of lopsided attacks as individual players just say "gently caress it" and give up on playing defense / try to get on the score sheet. I am the slightly less annoying "caught too far forward at least three times a game but at least I try to get back" version. It's good exercise to sprint back 50 yards while the couple of poor responsible defenders try to delay the attack.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
(Just an aside, thinking back -- part of the reason I'm often "too far forward" is because the other team's guys are consistently too far forward/not tracking back... so if you play normally and your team loses possession well poo poo guess who's usually "out of position" now.)

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
I wear tights under my shorts when I play on turf sometimes, especially if it's not too hot out. It looks like hell but I am old and don't give a poo poo.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
I am pretty easygoing about soccer and I'm no prize myself but it's such a downer to have a person on my team who is so bad that passing to them is in effect turning it over. Wow they're open again in miles of space wonder why that is, time for another pity pass? Time to forget to look that way again? It's like you have to keep a separate scoreline in your head.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

Soulex posted:

Some people panic when they get the ball and it's not a clear it, or pass it situation. It's just uneasiness and not being confident with the ball at your feet. It'll change eventually.
Sorry that comment was really meant in this context:

Olewithmilk posted:

Wednesday's outside on astroturf with women/fats/olds who can't really play. No real point to this post, just my 5-a-side tribulations.
and I was just chiming in with my take on "people who can't play" thing. I understand stuff like giving the thru ball to the fast guy or looking off the guy with a bad touch who is in traffic in the center of the pitch, but I don't like having to make the terrible-person-in-acres-of-space choice more than a few times in a game. I mostly only play a Sunday pickup game with other older folks these days and I'm always hoping the super stinkers don't show.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
I love playing soccer and generally support my teammates this is just some negative stuff I want to share.

I got so tired of suggesting that our defensive line stop playing such an aggressive trap and then losing their minds when they didn't get tight offside calls. It's a league full of terrible teams full of terrible players, why would you expect the refs to be great? Why would you keep doing something and then go nuts when you don't get the call for the three-thousandth time? By the way the guy IS onside half the time you dummies jesus christ.

Also the obsession with "playing it out of the back". Yes that is the ideal way to play MOST of the time for MOST teams but hey sure seems we're giving up a lot of easy goals today feel free to chuck it up to the forwards or just clear it blindly sometimes!

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

Gigi Galli posted:

I blame Barcelona for this.

I'm serious.
That's definitely part of it, but there is an American version that predates that. American players, especially older ones, can get dogmatic about what Ugly Bad American soccer is. What I'm thinking of is overly focused on stuff like not: launching the ball, but also not: kicking with your toe, trapping with the outside of your foot, relying too much on your dominant foot, etc. Typically they were taught soccer by a friend's dad who read a book and went to a couple certification classes (which is how I was taught, too, but obviously those are lessons for kids to get them started not absolute rules for every situation).

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

Bogan Krkic posted:

You're only allowed to trap the ball with the instep because coaching in Australia and presumably America is focussed on teaching the basics as opposed to the other versions of football to a hilarious degree, ensuring that only those basics are taught to a high level of competency because kicking with your toe or whatever is what they do in the other football codes, and thus bad. It's a mark of insecurity around the sport imo.
Yeah it's kids stuff and yes insecurity. Kids who-don't-grow-up-in-a-soccer-culture-or-whatever will often start off kicking with their toe as their go-to option. They'll trap with the inside of their right foot if the ball comes from their left and with the outside of their right foot if the ball comes from their right. They'll head the ball off the top of their head. They'll kick it as hard as they can instead of passing etc. etc. A lot of casual American players growing up learned to NOT do those things and not much else.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Just speaking to the thread in general, but if you like me have been paying through the nose to get boots for wide feet (Paying like $200 for $70 boots that get sent from Japan) Amazon has some ASICS Men's DS Light Wide in stock. I got a pair and they're (gaudy but) nice. It's weird to me that I can get good sizing options on formal shoes and casual shoes and pretty much any shoes except for the sport where you kick the ball with your feet.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
I was going to recommend the foam rolling thing too but just in a "might as well give it a shot" sense, sounds like the doctors are at a loss and I don't know anything they don't. There isn't much too it, you just put your leg on a stiffer version of a pool noodle (or a ball sometimes), put some weight on it, and roll over it so it smushes the muscles up and down. Hope you feel better and be careful with any opiates!

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Generally with organized co-ed teams you can't just force people off the team or even onto the bench, though. Either it's a friend or a friend-of-a-friend or a coworker OR it's some random person who signed up as a single and paid their money etc.

That said in the US at least and in my experience the women are often pretty good in the more competitive adult co-ed leagues. There are a ton of women who play Div-1 soccer (like 50% more than men IIRC) and a lot of the hardcore guy players just stick to the mens leagues.

But yeah all THAT said obviously Geno is right that a dead spot in a small-sided format is rough.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Suprfli6, what gloves are those? Interested to hear, but also: if you aren't a SERIOUS goalkeeper and just want good indoor gloves that won't shred on turf, I'd recommend the Cutters goalkeeper gloves (the orange ones). Their C-tack material is really nice and grip-y as long as you're not in the rain.

pangstrom fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Nov 3, 2015

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Yeah inexpensive gloves have gotten a lot better, and in indoor especially you are rolling the dice on loving up your fingers if you don't have some support.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
wherein we are actually going to play football just as soon as our knees and ankles etc.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Europeans: literally too soft to play soccer with women ;)

Though the US soccer federation just banned heading for kids under 10 so yeah.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
The alternative is probably to have a lot of parents not put their kids in soccer. Americans are PRETTY CONSERVATIVE with their kids' safety, and in their defense brain damage isn't like a turf burn or something.

This is a way better approach than the head-in-the-sand NFL one, at least, though obviously that's a low bar and the problem in soccer is never going to be at that level.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

Vinestalk posted:

It's easy (not wrong) to blame the keeper for trying to make something happen at the end of the game, but how did those other 7 goals get in there?
Indoor games are usually goal fests. It's fun as a keeper but yeah in an even contest some are going to get through.

This wasn't a particularly dirty play but I think my worst soccer memory was the end of a tied indoor game at keeper where I had the ball at my feet and took a bad touch. The other team's big striker came in strong, and I ended up on the ground with the fucker laying on top of me and cynically going limp to keep me pinned down. As I wrenched my back trying to get out from under the guy I watched a series of scuffles for the ball which ended with the other team finally getting control and putting the winning goal in with 10 seconds left on the clock. It's one of those memories that will sometimes come to me out of nowhere like when I'm in the shower or something.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Sick save!

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
That's a decent counterpoint but check this: the Socceroos are hopping their way into history.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
This is goon-y and I'm sure the legality varies by area but a quadcopter always seemed like the perfect solution, if you have somebody willing to fly it or a fancy-ish one that will stay in a stable position on its own.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Yeah, not disagreeing and this is from the other side of the wall but the worst people to play with aren't the guys who don't know the rules, they're the guys who don't know the rules (or have a reality-distorting experience every time they are jostled or fall down) but sure think they do!

Pass on the sprints, agree on the picking up defending more easily, also agree with the pass-first approach if you don't know what you're doing. Like literally think "if the ball comes to me now where am I going to send it" at all times, with an eye towards progressing past that eventually. It's a hard game but it's just a game.

pangstrom fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Feb 23, 2016

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
I am so hardcore I gained 25 pounds so I could play soccer with a permanent weight vest.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
I am only a part-time keeper (know that's weird but we're around, in US at least) but my greatest-on-paper goal was from the other team's corner kick. It was chipped softly to the edge of the box, and I caught it at a full sprint. I then had to dump it in front of me as I was leaving the penalty area. At this point I'm still at a full sprint and behind their entire team save one defender who I knew sucked and their keeper. So I just carried it another 50 yards while the bad defender left me a huge cushion and then hammered it past him into the left corner. We lost the game 2-1, though.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Yeah I'm not going to argue against going to the doctor but it's probably one of those things where--no matter if it's a bruise or a break or a cartiledge tear or intercostal muscle tear--it's basically just going to have to heal on its own and there's not much to do in the meantime.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
The only thing I don't like about playing short-sided games is I am exposed as perhaps the worst finisher on the planet.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Usually when people say "dead leg" they mean like a thigh contusion, but regardless sounds like you're going to have to shut it down for awhile and see a doctor if it still hurts to put weight on it. It will probably look like purple hell in a day or two which is kind of satisfying at least.

Minor ones I always tried to keep using it, etc., but obv. there are limits if you tear up a lot of soft tissue or get a bone bruise or something.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
I think 442 is easier to "get" but cramming the middle of the park with bodies is probably generally more effective in getting wins at that level.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Might try meetup.com to find a pickup game.

I don't know the specific adult leagues in LA but most of the casual ones will let you sign up as a single at the beginning of the season and then they will put you on an existing team OR they will forge a new team out of singles which you can watch disintegrate through the first few weeks.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
If you feel like you're up in your head during the game, you can try playing sleep-deprived or with a middling hangover. I generally played better when I was a little altered like that because my brain is garbage and fitness wasn't a problem.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

Breath Ray posted:

What are some good boots for the wider footed person? I always go through the Base of my big toe with cheap nike ones (they also rub on my little toe ) but that might be because they're made of one cheap piece of material.
If that's still too narrow, try
ASICS Men's DS Light Wide

Before those showed up (and after Adidas abandoned their lovely and overpriced, but at least it had a wide option, Tunit line) I was paying basically double to get shoes from Asia http://www.widesoccercleats.net/

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
I have bruised the bottom of my heel before but it wasn't sharp and just faded away eventually. Sounds like a heel spur or mild plantar fasciitis, maybe, but I don't really know I'm just guessing of things other people I know have had.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

Tongues posted:

I once got a yellow card in futsal for standing on the spot so that the other couldn't take a quick kick. Little bitch squealed to the ref and nothing came of the now delayed free kick. I guess my point is that indoor is full of poo poo rules, I think I gave away a penalty once for passing back to my keeper?

Indoor can get hosed
Oh honey, bless your heart.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
As a variation on that theme, one shameful old man tactic I have adapted against very quick players in space is to invite the nutmeg, and as they put it through my legs turn around and treat that ball as mine/shield it.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Walled indoor is great, and after playing years and years I haven't seen but a couple of the wall-related injuries that people always fret about. Your mileage may vary.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

Shrapnig posted:

Fat jammy cunts and goalkeepers. TRP players thread.

You guys make me sad.
Can we at least agree the divers are the worst.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

iajanus posted:

Although if you're older less fit like me you'll grow to love the breaks in play afforded you by outdoor 11-a-side
The walled indoor leagues I played in were sub-on-fly (like hockey). I think the games where we played with zero subs took years off my life.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Become a keeper and your journey towards the dark side will be complete.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Yeah I didn't like turf until I moved to an urban area, where the grass fields are all pounded into oblivion by local demand. That was also when field turf started showing up (even if you prefer grass to field turf, the difference between those really shrinks when compared to old astroturf). Even the "good" grass fields where I grew up generally kept the grass really long, though. It's expensive to keep a grass field maintained if the "lawn climate" or whatever isn't ideal.