Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

euroboy
Mar 24, 2004

Thirteenth Step posted:

What stretches/warmup routine do you guys have? I do a few token stretches before a game but nothing major, I figured a proper warmup routine will stop me from feeling like poo poo during and after.

A quick walk from the parking lot and on to the pitch usually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euroboy
Mar 24, 2004

Toe punt owns. I always try to do it like Ronaldo in the 2002 world cup semi final :cool:

(I never pull it off though)

euroboy
Mar 24, 2004

Just scored a loving dream goal. I might as well retire now, I'll never top that in a million years.

I played up front alone, ran behind the defenders and got a long through ball ahead of me. The goalkeeper came out of the box and I just reached the ball with my left foot to control it and take it past him before I smashed it right in The Upper 90 with my right foot like a loving rocket from 18 meters or so.

It might have been the best goal scored in the history of the game. Shame it was only practice and we can't celebrate goals there but I did a little fistpump at least.

euroboy
Mar 24, 2004

Just played 60 minutes on a full pitch for the first time in a few years. It felt good. Playing as a full back is so much more fun when there's a lot of space available.

euroboy
Mar 24, 2004

I've got these bad boys. Best boots I've ever had, except for my old Copas obviously.

Great on artificial grass in all sorts of conditions.

euroboy
Mar 24, 2004

Coach him into becoming a better player and person.

euroboy
Mar 24, 2004

Get proper gloves and just practice at stopping shots. Youre doing it wrong if your hand hurts.

euroboy
Mar 24, 2004

That depends. Is this a team where you play competetive football or do you just play a bit for fun?

euroboy
Mar 24, 2004

Thirteenth Step posted:

It annoys me when these chavs rock up and smoke like 50 cigarettes before the game and they manage to keep running till the end. Meanwhile I eat well, don't smoke, go gym 3 times a week, have an active job but yet I'm still losing out

smh

Probably what the Manchester United players says to eachother after drawing with Fulham

to stay on topic, i make sure to get some carbs a few hours before and have good meals through out the day. my warmup is bicycling for fifteen minutes to the pitch. works great, i'm a fantastic player.

euroboy
Mar 24, 2004

Akbar posted:

How are there so many goalies in this thread?

Because the worst player always has to play in goal

euroboy
Mar 24, 2004

If you're playing against Bad Defenders try to create space by attempting to draw defenders out of position, which will give your left back a lot of space out to run in and you a chance to drift in centrally with your stronger foot if you've got the ball. In defence be sure to support the left back, don't let him get outrunned or outnumbered and don't get caught ballwatching.

euroboy
Mar 24, 2004

Soulex posted:

Also, I know it sounds weird, but I prefer to shoot with the outside of my foot. Does that make me weird?

No, it makes you Tomas Rosicky and he's awesome so keep it up.

euroboy
Mar 24, 2004

Bobby Digital posted:

In your guys' experience, what have you noticed is the rarest skill among people you play with?

Intelligence and composure.

The ability to solve problems, read situations, tactical understand and be able to perform under pressure is the rarest skill imo. Even if you don't have good technique the ability to perform within your means is incredibly important.

Fitness is also extremely important, to be able to do all this combined with the the physical part, but I strongly believe the mental aspect is maybe the most important for a player.

euroboy
Mar 24, 2004

If you're just getting into football then I can't imagine how hard 11v11 must be. Its not good for your own development since it encourages to take the easiest options (hoof it up to the big lad or just pass it to someone better instead of taking chances on your own) and it's mostly about being fit enough to run around a whole match at that level. Try playing on a 7v7 pitch or even 5 a side. It forces you to think quicker, to use your technique and puts you in more situations where you're directly up against one or more opponents. And most importantly its a lot more fun, it's lot faster and lets you concentrate on football rather than managing your fitness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euroboy
Mar 24, 2004

Charlotte Hornets posted:

Going into a high tempo 7v7 or 5 a side for someone who has played 2 weeks will be...interesting. Nothing wrong with the 11 imo - more space, more time.

Any game time is good time as Vinestalk said but imo the best way to develop technical and tactical skills as a beginner is on a smaller pitch with fewer players. It's always seemed more encouraging for me to play like that, you're always involved and you can't hide like it's easy to do on a full pitch when you're tired and low on confidence.

Anyway, just get out and play. It's a brilliant feeling as you start getting better and manage to pull things off, score a few goals and other cool stuff.

Toe pokes owns btw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwmTy3SAMzk