Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

macaque posted:

welp. scored a goal by weirdly contorting my legs because the ball was completely out of position and in the process ripped by ACL and LCL. Oh, there's also a suspected fracture on the same knee. Waiting for Xray/Ultrasound result to see if I need a reconstruction.

How's that for Owenesque.

:gonk:

I just have a tear in my right knee. Hoping its a meniscus, but either way I still have to have surgery since I've taken time off and anytime I run over 3/4 a mile it comes back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Dibs on left winger since I'm right footed and slow, perfect fit

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

good I woke up early this morning to make sure nobody stole my left winger spot

if you do I'll smash your knees in

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I'll play centre mid and get a card every game. Resident hardman itt. :clint:

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Shrapnac posted:

This is one of those post + avatar = :lol: things that everyone talks about.

Thats because I'm Alan Smith

get it Alan Smith gets carded a lot

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

gently caress y'all, play as a DM and just demolish people is all its about

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Pull a Mark Viduka and just sit with your back to goal and try to backheel it into the net constantly.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

the posted:

I posted this on the local discussion board in a thread about the league I play in:

It was the last game of the team I got cut from. I'm still a bit fumed.

Way to be a miserable oval office. Even if those guys have inflated egos, nobody is going to give you any respect after you throw out your dummy.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

the posted:

I can see what you're saying, but I don't think my "demands" (if you want to call them that) were unreasonable.

Frankly, a public airing of my grievances is nothing I'm ashamed of. They deserve to have a sign taped to their backs. I had to deal with that behavior all season when I just wanted to play.

Boohoo. Did throwing a tantrum work in grade school? No? What makes you think it will work now?

If anything, nobody is going to care about what "wrongs" these guys may have committed. All that anyone will remember from your little escapade is that you're a primadonna.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

s0meb0dy0 posted:

Stupid question: What am I looking for in shin guards? Something with straps? Sleeves? The kind that strap to your ankle? I'm looking at the $20-30 range but don't know where to start.

What position do you play and how protected do you want to be?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Grievo posted:

K....Kieron?

He didn't say hepatitis.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

CaptainRightful posted:

They've convinced people that really thin synthetic shoes are somehow better and worth twice as much. If that's not absurd enough for you, you can get some made out of loving yarn. There's a sucker born every minute.

Those yarn boots look pretty awesome to be fair, but I can't imagine them holding up or not being a gross pile of mildew the second it rains.

http://www.designboom.com/design/adidas-launch-samba-primeknit-the-worlds-first-knitted-football-boot/

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Soulex posted:

I thought so too, but it was two different clinics. One here in Washington and the other in Germany. Essentially they gave me a rubber band and had me do that stuff with moving my ankles and trying to strengthen those muscles. After about two weeks they said "Ok! We know you're in pain still but there isn't anything else we can do, so go back to orthopedics!" Which I did, and hasn't helped any.

I'm still in the service, so I'm not having to deal with the VA or anything like that. I'm trying vehemently to get medboarded for a lot of issues and problems that I'm running through. Ideally, I'd like to get this poo poo all worked out so I can play with my kids and myself at some point in a 30 and older league. The problem is the running, I can't do that without sharp stabbing pains in my calf. It happens when I walk too sadly so the walks that I get to do with my family are usually pretty small and short. I'm hoping to get something out of the medboard, but I've been told from other people with leg issues that you don't get much because disability only counts for stuff that causes problems with work or whatever. Seeing that I wouldn't be running or being super active at a job they wouldn't give me much for it. They don't keep in mind my personal life or anything.

I've got an appointment to start learning how to do foam rolling which is supposed to help give like a deep tissue massage or whatever for my legs.

There is supposedly a program that takes me in for 6 weeks and teaches me work out stuff that I can do to help get fitness back and everything. The first opening is supposedly in December, so I have to wait until then. I'm hoping that works.

I'm also going to try to go to the park and just kick the ball into the net. I've been pretty proactive with trying to keep playing somehow with the ball, whether it's just taking touches or if it's passing against a wall. I'll do it, pass the ball to my son who will run over and pick it up and bring it back to me (yeah, it's like fetch but he loves it. That and bouncing the ball down our stairs), but I have to stop after a bit cause it just loving hurts.

Thanks man.

I've been there. I don't talk about it a lot, but I had some serious issues with my knee from the Army. My knee was the side of a cantaloupe and I was hospitalized for a week. I was basically told to take 2 weeks leave and it'll get better. Of course that did nothing, and I came back to get thrust back in right off the bat.

See a civilian doctor. You're going to pay for it of course, but it is absolutely worth it in the long run for your health. I lost a ton of range of motion in my knee and the Army basically threw up their hands and said "We have no idea!" but a civilian doctor gave a plausible idea what had happened (brown recluse bite that was not treated) and that it ate into knee ligaments. Considered the hole in my knee and the dying flesh, it seems likely enough.

In the end I was medically discharged (honorable discharge) but if I hadn't presented what I found out from a civilian doctor I would have likely been chaptered out on a general discharge.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Wonder what conversion it was doing because the equivalent miles is still absurd unless it missed several decimal points and should be 19.154 mph, which seems more believable.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

These are fantastic. How long will it take before an overweight retail manager slide tackles you?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I'm surprised you still have legs

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

What the gently caress are these ellipses things you're doing

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Bobby Digital posted:

I did this the day after moving to Denver from sea level. That was not my best idea.

I like the people dying at the Pikes Peak summit.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

cosmicjim posted:

My soccer injury story...
Dribbled around a guy at my top dribbling speed. He kicked me in the back of my leg and messed up my stride. My leg planted in the ground completely straight and it buckled. Tore my MCL and LCL. It was agonizing pain and I just writhed on the ground. It hurt too much to be still.
In comparison I had a compound fracture of my shin bone on a trampoline and I calmly called out for help while I bled all over it. A neighbor helped my limped back to my house and my dad made me wait on the porch while he finished a college homework assignment before he drove me to the ER.

I've never had an ACL injury, but from anecdotal stories I've heard they seem to be less painful than MCL injuries.

My parents told me to walk off a broken leg, thinking it was a pulled muscle. I crashed into a tree while sledding. It was Christmas Day :haw:

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Shrapnig posted:

Remember when I said how much I loved playing on turf?

What are those socks saying?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Shrapnig posted:

I bought these because I have no self control.

Treat yoself

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Breath Ray posted:

I read somewhere that massage has no proven beenfit in recovery but players like it so keep getting them anyway

I’ve crashed on bikes before and the deep tissue massage has definitely helped to get rid of the adhesions, I imagine it’d work when you get kicked constantly for 90 minutes

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

TheBigAristotle posted:

You're thinking of the Drip Doctors

It helps to relieve built up fluids

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Playing on turf for the first time in ages. RIP my knees.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I’m not dead but the pellets have torn my feet up something fierce. Scored a few goals and made some goal line clearances.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Big ole blisters under my big toe, toward the outside edge. New turf shoes. Any easy fix?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Geno posted:

This guy I play pick-up with said I remind him of Christian Eriksen. Probably the best soccer compliment I've ever received.

Balding?