Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON
:minnie:

College Slice
How is thread not more popular? I just got into RC and holy smokes it is fun. I'm planning on selling my race car because this is so much more affordable than racing real cars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON

College Slice
Ah, that makes sense. I've only hung out with my friends who have all gotten bit by the RC bug.

namlosh posted:

You should just put remote controls on your existing race car

I can't see this cutting costs down very much

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON

College Slice
Get one and post pics

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON

College Slice

kuffs posted:

I have one. It’s mid-build since I decided to do a lot of customization on it. https://imgur.com/a/ibuA2Yc

Wow, that looks amazing! Love the custom speedometer and rims.

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON

College Slice
I've used threadlock on a plastic arm and it helped keep it from unscrewing. I've only done it on one screw on one rc car (Traxxas Slash), but it works for my situation.
My friend had the same problem and just put the screw in the reverse direction. Fixed the issue without threadlock.

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON

College Slice

Enos Shenk posted:

If I can get the engine cleaned up and rebuilt I'll do something idiotic like attach it to an old hand-crank pencil sharpener.

:yeshaha:
already dying in anticipation

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON

College Slice
I just went with RCP track. hobbyshop247.com has decent prices on the tracks. I do think the track surface is a lot better than linoleum or concrete, and if I ever find myself at a proper track at a hobby shop, I know my tires and suspension setups will carry over.

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON

College Slice
I got the 50cm "Large 96" layout. It can easily handle 4 cars, probably up to 6 cars. I've got 3 friends who race with me, so it's working great so far. I would think 4 cars would be absolute maximum on the 30cm tracks, but I don't know for sure. If you get a timing system, don't bother with the recommended software, just use Next Level Timing. It's free and works fantastic.

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON

College Slice
I try to change it up once a month or so. The base layout is too big for my garage, so I'm always trying out new setups. I picked up the wide inside turn pieces and a few more normal turn pieces to make even more layouts. I'm saving up for some 45 degree turn pieces too.

You can check out the Mini 96 Challenge for additional layout ideas https://www.rctech.net/forum/micro-mini-scales/1041360-mini-96-world-challenge.html that all use the base pieces. There's also a facebook group.

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON

College Slice
I got into RC last year with a cheap Chinese RC. Welcome to the hobby!

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON

College Slice
I can answer your battery question, but not the other. NiMH is a pretty stable chemistry, so your super-simple charger will work fine as long as it doesn't overcharge. If you want something better, I recommend a balance charger so you can charge lithium batteries later. I got a Tenergy one from amazon for around $40 and it will charge almost any kind of hobby battery. It also has a voltage sensor, so it will cut power when a NiMH battery is fully charged. You can almost certainly find a lithium replacement battery for your car, but you will need said balance charger, and a charging bag/box.

GOD IS BED fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Feb 23, 2024

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON

College Slice
https://a.co/d/73ofv4P

This is the one I have. It comes with a charging bag and a squid of connectors. It doesn't have all connections, but you can usually buy whatever connector you need. Your battery has a JST connector and that would be included in the squid.

I'd highly recommend reading this site for more details on charging and using RC batteries: https://www.rccaraction.com/everything-need-know-rc-batteries/

e: or just watch that ^^^^ (peak detection charger, that's the term I meant, thank you)

GOD IS BED fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Feb 23, 2024

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON

College Slice
I'm doing a stock Slash race this weekend, and I'm super hyped for the previously mentioned reasons. I hope it grows in popularity, it definitely seems more beginner friendly than a lot of other classes.

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON

College Slice

Kibner posted:

Speaking of bashers, what is a good, low-maintenance basher for fairly tall grass (like 3 inches)? Strong after-market support would be a plus, but not necessary. Being somewhat stable while taking turns on steep inclines/hills would be a plus, too.

I love my Traxxas Hoss for bashing. Tears through grass up to a foot tall. It did require me to upgrade the servo and driveshafts before it became "low maintenance" though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON

College Slice
The Raptor is indeed awesome. It's basically a Slash with better apprearance. I would recommend a 4x4 version if you want to drive it in grass, the 2wd version of the Slash cannot handle anything but the shortest of shrubbery.