Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Great thread timing, my kids and I have been watching a few of these big RC cars in the park and I've been feeling that little itch to pick one up.

I'd assume the electric are much quieter than the gas? I kinda like the horrible shrieking the little gas engines make, but I imagine the neighbors wouldn't.

Also, how water-resistant are these? I'd love to throw one around in the mud. When I was a kid I had one of those cheap Radio Shack RC trucks, and we caulked up every orifice and took it to a shallow stream and had a lot of fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

TheFrailNinja posted:

I currently own a Traxxas Nitro Rustler that I've been trying to sell for years. I paid $360 for a starter kit, and I'm looking for $150 if anybody is interested. This hobby costs wayyy too much for me.

Tell me more. What's the condition, what does it come with, does it need anything, etc.

I think it's a bit much for a beginner truck, but the price is tempting.

Edit: Holy poo poo, where can you get these

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmqUllDUsc4&NR=1

Sloppy fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Apr 28, 2009

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

TheFrailNinja posted:

What's your e-mail? I can take pictures of whatever you want to see.

Awesome, sloppy123 at gmail

Although I'm probably leaning more toward something electric just for less fuss and mess.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

kuffs posted:

Holy poo poo it's custom http://www.scale4x4rc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=11849

Wow, that guy is utterly amazing.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Laserface posted:

Oh loving christ Traxxas, WHY do you have to release 1/16 scale Brushless Slash and Revos this month? I just got out of this loving hobby :(

Which of these would be more suitable for mud-boggin? I assume the Revo because of the bigger tires? I don't really need tons of speed, I just want to drive around in streams and cow shitholes and throw crap everywhere.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

compressioncut posted:

Stuff

I live vicariously through posts like these :)

If you don't mind me asking, what exactly does that $500 go toward if you already have the car, radio, and spare parts?

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Is that new HPI waterproof like the Slash?

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Is there such a thing as an R/C demolition derby? Because that would be awesome to watch :v:

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

After many months of lurking this thread and lusting, it looks like I'll finally be able to get my own R/C car sometime in the next month or two. From what I've gleaned I'm leaning strongly toward something waterproof Traxxas (because I love mud/water), offroad, and brushless. The Slash is an obvious choice, but I'm wondering how it does it really loose stuff like soft sand with it's narrow tires. Would one of the other trucks like the E-Maxx, E-Revo, or Summit be better?

I'm probably going to try to pick up something on Craigslist to save some money and get parts with it. Is there anything to look out for in terms of wear and damage like when checking out vehicles?

So excited :woop:

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Does this seem like a good deal for a used 2WD Slash?

http://salem.craigslist.org/tag/1954311541.html

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Hypnolobster posted:

It looks pretty good, but he's going to want at least $400 for it, and it's going to be completely undriveable. Flipping over backwards constantly is only fun for a little while.

He's asking $330. Is the motor more than I'd want?

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Hypnolobster posted:

Just keep in mind that it won't be water/mud/snowproof anymore, which (for me, anyway) is a major bummer.

That's a dealbreaker for me, for sure. What about the new motor makes it not -proof anymore?

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

krushgroove posted:

I didn't want to harsh your buzz about your Xmods but I was wondering why you had them after experiencing Mini-Z cars :)

Just wondering if any non-racers actually like this body style?

I like it, but it needs different wheels and tires to be really cool (from a purely aesthetic standpoint)

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

May I bother you guys for a little advice?

I have a computer worth around $150 posted to Craigslist. A guy offered me an HPI super nitro rs4 for it. He had the following to say about it:

quote:

Everythings alluminum except for the shock housings, it was all plastic, tons of spare parts, 2 speed transmission, tuned exhaust, upgraded motor (was .15 now .18) 2 remotes, about 3/4 gallons of gas, 2 sets of spare tires, hi speed servos, 4 bodies and tools and spare parts

I've always wanted to get into R/C but it just hasn't happened, so this seems like it might be a way to do so. I really wanted brushless, but he claims this is worth a lot more than the computer and I could probably trade this for something else pretty easily.

The car in question:

I'm tempted, but don't want to get boned if it's not as sweet as he makes it out to be.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

kuffs posted:

that car is sunk_cost_fallacy.jpg

Yikes. Thank you very much :)

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

I've read some people use WD-40 on metal bits after running in water/mud. I know from riding motorcycles/bicycles that WD-40 is NOT a suitable chain lubricant, isn't that a bad idea on R/C cars also? Would bicycle chain oil be suitable for ball joints and so forth?

This is probably just the first in a torrent of beginner questions, so apologies in advance. Goon Powderific sold me his 1/16th Slash VXL, I'm cool like you guys now :dance:

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

powderific posted:

Glad you're enjoying the slash! Did you get the battery charger worked out?

I won't have a chance to work with it more until this evening, but I think with the directions I can sort out what the issue is.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

My daughter rules.

Afterward she nailed the most perfect full-throttle jump of the evening :toot:

Also, do I need to use a special glue for the bead-lock, or will regular crazy glue work fine?

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

I took the Slash to the BMX park today. They were in the middle of redoing it with a Cat loader, so we had to stick to a rougher, half-finished side, but my god that was fun.

For some reason the plastic hinge on both my battery compartments has broken. I think I get too much mud and crap in the joint, so it stresses it when I squeeze it shut. Is this common, or am I just excessively abusive? I duct tape it up now and works pretty well, but I'd prefer a tighter seal against water.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

jonathan posted:

Just after posting that I realised there are 4s batteries that people use for top speed runs. Like this guy from my area who does 5 mile blasts with his car using a gopro camera. And drives behind it while controlling it somehow.

One of his cars he films doing over 100mph.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npVJ-keA6M8

That video lead me to this guy driving his Rustler in traffic :psyduck:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0cAgHpU_Dg

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

I thought I heard a slightly unusual sound my last run but chalked it up to paranoia.

Turns out a tiny pebble worked its way past the skid plate and did this to my drive shaft:

I think I suck at this hobby :(

Sure is fun though.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

powderific posted:

A scale crawler is the ideal RC for me. Fast stuff can be really fun, but I don't have a lot of space and racing is an extra commitment I can't take on right now. Crawling over stuff with the SCX10 can happen in my backyard whenever I feel like it. And somehow the crawling feels like exactly what I always wanted my crappy toy R/C stuff to do when I was a kid. It's great because it can be challenging and relaxing at once.

I've really been enjoying your Slash, but I'm starting to realize the same thing...I like just screwing around in my back yard or in the woods, and the Slash doesn't really fit that. It doesn't do well at low speed in grass or on asphalt and really needs firm, smooth dirt to stretch its legs. The only really amazing place I found locally was the public BMX track, but R/Cs can't run there unless I go early in the morning when nobody is around.

And I totally agree with wanting something that fulfills my childhood R/C dreams. I started out with those lovely turn-in-reverse, wired controller cars and made it all the way to the Radio Shack R/C monster trucks that could kill a set of D batteries in 30 minutes. We caulked ours up so we could run it in the stream, it was awesome, but it was never as fast or powerful as my imagination wanted.

We'd also build motorized Lego vehicles with ultra-low gearing, dig a deep mud hole in the flower bed, and then see whose vehicle could crawl to the top without flipping over backward. Regular wheels would get filled with mud and just slide down, so we'd build swastika-shaped 'wheels' out of bricks that could really hook into the dirt.

Hmm, anyone want to buy a 1/16 Slash? :v:

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

InitialDave posted:

So, anyone here like R/C? And crawlers? And Lego?

That's awesome, though the issue with Lego R/C is the motors are totally gutless. Now if some creative person would build one with a nice brushless setup, that would be pretty sweet.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

That's a pretty cool piece of design, I really wanted to see him flog it over some jumps or cars or something though.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

The SCX10 Honcho is the crawler you guys are in love with, right?

Is this a good price for what it comes with?

http://eugene.craigslist.org/tag/3392202539.html

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Deedle posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8gJY53SmJY

Came across this on youtube, a 1:10 scale BRDM-2 entirely handmade out of metal. I'm not really sure on how to describe just how awesome that thing is.

That led me to another showing some of the incredible detail level and welding that went into making it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtVfgjavtSo

Edit:

The Youtube black hole then took me too something new: R/C tanks and fire :psyduck:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghdu114m4OQ

Sloppy fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Apr 25, 2013

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

I want to get some sand tires for my 1/16 slash and I've never changed tires before. Should I just get a second set of wheels, or try to remove my current stock tires? Does anyone have a particular type to recommend?

Also, since the Slash is 4WD, should I get four paddles, or paddles on the back and ribs on the front? The stock tires already throw too much crap up inside, I'm worried paddles would just fill the truck up with sand.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

krushgroove posted:

Sounds like it's a 1/16th or around that size rock crawler. They're fun but because of the size, yeah they're not as versatile as a 1/10th scale rock crawler. I think the scale fanatics see them mainly as toys - set up a stack of books and it'll climb over them but it might not be anywhere near as good in real terrain outside.

I use my 1/16 Slash mostly for crawling hiking trails. It does pretty well :v:

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Fucknag posted:

Dunno if this has been posted in here before, saw it in the youtube thread a while back. This guy hand makes bodies for his offroader out of wood.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_Dvap18PLc

That's amazing workmanship, but I cringed so hard when he actually took it crawling.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Somewhat Heroic posted:

A Kyosho Blizzard DF-300

Wow, that thing is awesome. There is a serious lack of Blizzard mud action on Youtube, maybe you can rectify this...

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Hoping you guys can steer me a bit:

I'm looking to get back into R/C. I had a 1/16 Slash a few years ago and it was fun but I want something a little bigger and more crawly. I've been looking over the various Axial options and they all look amazing. I don't really need the scale stuff although I don't mind it. The Wraith, SCX10, and Capra all look really fun but the chassis differences aren't clear to me. Is there a good flow chart somewhere, like 'if you want this, buy this'?

I like the idea of assembling a kit, but it seems those mostly come without electronics? I'd rather have everything bundled up for my first go, but those all seem to be pre-assembled, although that's not the end of the world.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Thanks guys, very helpful. I was assuming I'd spend around 400-500 based on used prices I've seen. The TR-4 looks sweet too. I'll head down to the local hobby shop and check them out in person.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Follow-up question: I see people complaining about the TR-4 eating servos. That was a problem I had with my Slash but just assumed I was beating on it too hard and that the more relaxed crawler style would have less issues. What kind of experience have you guys had?

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Alright, I ordered a TRX-4 Sport kit :awesome:

Now I need to figure out what electronics to buy. Looking around at what other people are doing, does the following seem ok?

Transmitter: Thinking about just picking up the same one that comes in the RTR bundles since all the ones people are recommending on other forums are $200+ and I'm entry level and don't need anything fancy.
Receiver: Suggestions?
ESC: Hobbywing 1080 brushed
Motor: HH Trailmaster Sport 550 21t (seems to be out of stock? Looking for an alt)
Servo: ANNIMOS 20KG Digital Servo
Battery and charger: Just some basic Traxxas stuff?

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

evil_bunnY posted:

I'd skip the traxxas radio, they don't even have basic features like endpoints. Get a GT3-B or whatever.
QR 1080 are excellent for the money, so are holmes cans in general.
For charger I'd grab a ISDT 608AC, and a pack from CNHL or Gen's ace that'll do 70C or better.

Super helpful. Thank you!

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Thanks for all the crawler advice guys. I finished up the TRX-4 build today and had a total blast. The hiccups were minor, and I learned that spray-painting is hard...but I'm satisfied for my first try.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Somewhat Heroic posted:

I will be taking some glamour/posed shots for a couple of weeks before I get after running it too much. They are only this fresh once so I am going to build up a bank of media I can use for social media stuff with work.

That's amazing, and hilarious. Is the Dixie cup bit a sticker? I had some graphic ideas for the TRX (Beavis head on the hood) but didn't pursue it since I assumed it would be a one-off custom print sticker with face adhesive and I was impatient.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

mattfl posted:

Hey r/c guys, maybe you can help me out here.

I'm trying to source some springs for a 3d printing project I'm working on

Have you looked on McMaster-Carr? I didn't look up your exact specs but they've rarely let me down for other weird stuff.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

mattfl posted:

Got a friend with a 3d printer? :)

https://www.thingiverse.com/search?q=scx10&type=things&sort=relevant

My 3d printed Jeep is roughly the size as those SCX10's and I've printed out a bunch of parts for it

https://imgur.com/gallery/GUC59v8

That's gorgeous. The scale is done so well that the last photo is kind of a mindfuck. Scale hood clips would push it over the top.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Snowmankilla posted:

With the grain of salt that I also got into this poo poo for the Pandemic... I had this same conversation and got the Trx-4 sport. One of the ideas I saw online was that for a first crawler simpler is better. Easier to build, maintain, and run. I love mine, and had a blast building it.

Same, the kit is super fun to build and I've never felt limited by not having the different speeds. The permanently locked differential get a little weird when you cross some pavement or whatever, but for most uses it's no biggie.

It's also way bigger than I expected, coming from a 1/16 Slash. Feels like an invincible monster truck that is only defeated when it does the upside down turtle.