Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

coyo7e posted:

Also, what happened with the Returns thing on audible? I picked up Ex-Heroes and whew is it ever a stinker, but I can't figure out how/where to try and return it on amazon or audible. :(
Go to your Account Details: https://www.audible.com/account-details

Scroll down to purchase history and you can see which books are eligible for return. Just click on "eligible" and the return window pops up.

e: It also tends to offer you a return if you rate/review a book at 1 or 2 stars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Lascivious Sloth posted:

I also just finished this and it was great. I think I'll listen to 11/22/63. Does anyone have a recommendation for any particular Stephen King audiobooks and/or narrators?
I thought 11/22/63 was one of the best books King has ever written, and the narration by Wasson is absolutely top notch. Disclaimer, I really love historical fiction.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

rypakal posted:

Scott Brick is an instant buy for me on any audiobook.
I bought a book on the freakin' history of salt just because Scott Brick narrated it. It actually wasn't too bad :3:

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Listening to The Martian narrated by RC Bray. Not only is it a gripping, intense book (with plenty of geeky stuff to chew on and some great comic relief) but the performance is really outstanding. He can do pretty much any accent and nails the snarky, glib protagonist perfectly. An awesome audiobook.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Kraps posted:

SciFi sale at Audible till may 10th http://www.audible.com/mt/SuperSciFi_ALL

Picked up a couple books I wanted, thanks. I wish there was a way to permanently filter out "lovely vampire Twilight love books for dumbasses" on Audible.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

They are an Amazon company which means they have the best customer support in the universe. Chat them up and tell them you want to buy credits. You'll probably even be able to sweet talk them into a discount on the credits while you're at it.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Time Trial posted:

I like to make good use of my credits in terms of pure hours. I recently listened to the Bully Pulpit for example, but enjoy fantasy as well as nonfiction. Any suggestions for great audiobooks that'll make my subscription go far?
11-22-63 is 31 hours long in addition to being one of my favorite listens ever.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Dominoes posted:

Pretty much every youtube channel and podcast I watch/listen to is sponsored by Audible - decided to give it a shot. The combo subscription/pay-per-book model's kinda weird. Wouldn't it make sense to subscribe for a month, buy the books you want, then cancel the subscription? Subscribe again when you finish the books.
The subscription gives you credits which cost about $12-15 each but allow you to use them to get books that would cost $30+ to buy outright.

If all the books you wanted were under $15 then yes, you could subscribe just long enough to grab them all.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Doctor Who audiobook bundle over at Humble. A shitload of nerdlord audiobook content and an Android game for ~$15

https://www.humblebundle.com/books

Might even suspend my Audible membership for a few months while I make my way through all this!

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Strange Matter posted:

I've been listening to Andy Weir's The Martian, narrated by R.C. Bray and it's fantastic. Bray totally nails the (somewhat gallows) humor of the main character, and manages to do accents in a largely unobtrusive and natural sounding way.
One of my favorite audiobooks ever; he was the perfect narrator for it.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Tanith posted:

Any suggestions for a good Scott Brick-narrated book to listen to?
He's extremely prolific but I enjoyed Ender's Game, Spin, Gap Cycle, The Traveler, Foundation, he's even narrated a nonfiction history of salt (yes, table salt) that I could not stop listening to.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Danith posted:

Has anyone listened to the audio of the Iron Druid Chronicles by Kevin Hearne?
(http://www.amazon.com/Hounded-two-bonus-short-stories-ebook/dp/B004J4WN0I/ref=la_B004FR1V8O_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1438633807&sr=1-3)

Want to read some fantasy stuff and thinking of doing the audio version just because
Luke Daniels has narrated all ~11 books so I don't listen to that other guy.

The reader is outstanding, his voice for Oberon the dog is alone worth getting the audiobooks. He is perfect for the fun tone of the series.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Hold on a second, it seems there is another narrator for the series but I only saw that when I used a different browser and wasn't logged in to Audible. I've listened to them all read by Luke Daniels, no idea who the other guy is. Maybe it's some contract/licensing bullshit.

Anyway, my listing of them looks like this:

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Humble Star Wars Audiobook bundle: https://www.humblebundle.com/books

Mostly dramatizations but they may add more goodies to it later.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Fall posted:

Stupid question maybe, but how do you guys divide your time up between audiobooks and print/ebooks?
About 50/50 for me, I listen to audiobooks in the car while commuting/running errands, and I read kindle books or dead tree books before bed.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Scott Brick, Neil Gaiman, Luke Daniels, RC Bray

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

There's a humble bundle for RA Salvatore's Demon Wars. Looks like 8 audiobooks. Are these any good? Anyone know if the production and narration is decent on them?

https://www.humblebundle.com/books/salvatore-demon-wars-saga-audiobooks

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Enfys posted:

Are there other places to pick up audiobooks besides Audible? I'm really getting into listening to them now and picked up a bunch in the last sale, but I'm not a big fan of subscription services.
Overdrive is easy to use, has a solid app/player, and a good selection. (And can help you get cheap Audible books as noted above)

Hoopla, on the other hand, seems to have an app that was coded by retarded interns. I'd stay well away from their audiobooks.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Just a heads up the Prime channels actually do use a non-trivial amount of data, and the books can't be downloaded, only streamed.

This is from streaming 9 hours out of the 11 total hours in Ringworld

Syrinxx fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Oct 6, 2016

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

EdsTeioh posted:

Well drat. Good to know. How are you digging Ringworld?
Love the concept, but the book feels very 1970s - complete with misogyny, incorrect guesses at technological advances, and an abundance of leisuretime sex

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Enfys posted:

I have been listening to The Girl with All the Gifts. Good story, and the narrator's great. Has a different vocal range and style for the different characters which lend to their personality in the story. Haven't seen the movie, but it's a good listen.
:agreed:

Loved the story, the narration, everything. I had no idea there was a movie, definitely need to go see it.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Zephyrine posted:

Thanks for all the replies. Looking around I still feel like Audible would end up very expensive. I'll look at the librivox thing.

I'm not that picky. I already read all books I wanted and now I'm just looking for new experiences.
Many libraries participate in more than one service that provides audiobooks, and most of them have apps for both computer and phone/tablet. I joined the library from my city and the neighboring city and I can get audiobooks from Overdrive, Hoopla, OneClick, Cloud Library and physical discs/flash drives. It's not as convenient as Audible but it saves a ton of money.

You can also get audiobook upgrades for your Kindle books using Matchmaker - sometimes this even works on library loaned ebooks.

Syrinxx fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Nov 30, 2016

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Leviathan Wakes, which was turned into the SyFy show "The Expanse", is $3 for Kindle today. You can add Audible narration for $4 - making this a $7 audiobook and a pretty good deal!

https://smile.amazon.com/Leviathan-Wakes-Expanse-Book-1-ebook/dp/B0047Y171G

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Amazon just added free Audible narration to Prime Reading: https://smile.amazon.com/kindle-dbs/fd/prime-pr/

There are 50 books with Audible currently, not sure if they rotate once a month or just sometimes.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

ElGroucho posted:

I have Ready Player One on my audible account and I can't make it go away

help
Wasn't that narrated by space nerd Wil Wheaton? I thought it was ok what's the problem

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

learnincurve posted:

Seriously though, if you go into my purchased books you can get a refund with a couple of clicks and the book is gone from your list.
Every time Amazon buys a company, lots of people get all uppity about it then later realize that Amazon is the most customer friendly company on the planet and invariably improves whatever it is they acquired.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

I'm halfway through the first Expanse book Leviathan Wakes on my kindle and really liking it. I'm considering moving over and listening to them on audiobook instead since I go through books so much faster that way (thank you commute). Anyone listened to these and can comment on how good the narration is?

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Anyone have favorites in the Kindle Unlimited selection? They have a shitload of audiobooks for the cost but it seems like a good number of them are self-published crap or YA dystopian sparkle vampire book series

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Audible just put a bunch of last year's deals of the day back up. Prices are nearly all under $4

https://www.audible.com/ep/DD-Resale

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

There's a 2-for-1 sale right now, not a ton to choose from but I wound up grabbing books 2 and 3 of Red Rising for one credit. I think this ends tonight so hop on if you want anything.

https://www.audible.com/special-promo/2for1

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

If anyone's interested, Walmart is now in the audiobook game via kobo. The cost is $9.99 compared to Audible's $14.99 but the selection will probably be worse.

https://www.kobo.com/us/en/audiobooks

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

2-for-1 sale at Audible until 3/10

https://www.audible.com/special-promo/2for1

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Mister Facetious posted:

Anyone have an opinion of the Gaiman/Pratchett teamup Good Omens?

Currently listening to it so I can watch the series. It's full of English humor and overall really good and funny, even to a yank like me. The narrator is very good as well although I don't like his "sultry" voice for Red

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Capitalism is fuckin stupid

At least I will have the correct version in my library. Wheaton is great with books like The Interdependency but no way could he do better with The Martian.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Of course I started my Audible trial 2 days before their President's Day 4-months for $7.95/month or whatever sale. Doh.
They have the best support around, call them up or chat and see if they'll hook you up with that deal, or something else to soften the blow

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Mister Facetious posted:

$6.95 sale on Audible. Modest selection, but it does include the first two novels in the not-Shadowrun trilogy Minimum Wage Magic
Just finished the first book of this, the narrator was outstanding although the volume fluctuated a lot depending on the scene and character. I guess I'll grab the second one on sale!

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

poisonpill posted:

2-for-1 sale again at Audible. If you haven't read The Illiad recently or at all, you really owe it to yourself to try this:
https://www.audible.com/pd/The-Iliad-Audiobook/B00HUWO1T2
It's Dan Simmons reading a good translation and he brings it to life. I can't shill it enough.

What's the link to the 2 for 1? They aren't advertising it anywhere on the site that I saw.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

It is insanity that I am now considering spending a credit on a loving litrpg book

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

NikkolasKing posted:

I've been getting into Marvel Comics as of late and I had no idea that, not only are there many Marvel prose stories and novelizations of important comic storylines, many of those have been turned into audiobooks. I was curious if anyone here has tried any? If not, maybe you'll have some interest. I'm getting sucked into a rabbit hole myself.

X-Men and Spider-Man: Time's Arrow: A Marvel Omnibus
X-Men Mutant Empire
Daredevil: Predator's Smile. I pickd this one up since I'm in a DD mood and figured why not. Apparently mostly about Bullseye.

Then there are novelizations of important comics stories:
Daredevil: Guardian Devil I've head ithe original story is not great but it is kinda important so I might just listen to this rather than read teh comic, I dunno.
Daredevil: The Man Without Fear
X-Men: The Dark Phoenix Saga.

Right as I had managed to accumulate 2 credits.... :(

Thanks though!