Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

muscles like this? posted:

Turns out that 11/22/63 is already optioned and is in the planning stages to be made into a movie by Jonathan Demme.

Hold on. What? Jonathan Demme?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

muscles like this? posted:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/stephen-king-jfk-jonathan-demme-222328

Also David Yates (director of the last four Harry Potter movies) is working to turn The Stand into at least a couple of movies.

Holy moly, this could be a huge return to form for Demme. I'm excited. Assuming the book is good.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Grandpa Pap posted:

I saw an interview with King where he got asked "what books of yours do you think will stand the test of time?" And of course he answered "the 'S' books" (i.e., "Salem's Lot", "The Shining" and "The Stand"). Which was ironic since he pretty much says in "On Writing" that it depresses him when people name one of those three as their favorite book of his, because he wonders what it says about him as a writer that people think his best work is at least two or three decades behind him.

So at least he's aware that a lot of what he's done over the last 10 years or so hasn't really been all that great. :v:

Well it makes sense for him to name those as being most likely to stand the test of time, because they already have.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

schwenz posted:

I would have preferred no explanation of how the device got there to the, "It was a little kid alien playing pranks on little earth people but felt bad after we scolded him and went away" explanation. It would have been better to come up with a plausible destruction of the device and ended it with "We'll never know where it came from".
But then, I can't write a paragraph, so who am I to suggest a better ending

Well the whole book's ultimately kind of about the fragility of life, it makes sense that the being that's causing all of the suffering is doing so because they're too young to understand what harm they're doing.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

ravenkult posted:

The ending to ''The Mist'' was terrible. It's not a gently caress you to the audience, it's a ''these people are retarded.'' You run out of gas and so everyone kills themselves? Why? Why not try and and siphon some gas or take one of the hundreds of cars you passed on the way there and go on driving? If you can't do that, still, how big is the difference between shooting yourself and getting killed by a monster?

Then literally a minute later the army rolls up and is loving the monsters up and also the mist is clearing. Oh look, there's that mom that needed help getting home. She survived, no matter than anyone else that stepped out of the store got eaten within seconds. How ironic! Way to go special forces mom.

You're like the dude who wonders why Burgess Meredith couldn't just find a similar prescription in a blown out eyeglass store. The whole of The Mist is characters operating on extremely limited knowledge and under extreme duress; you cannot presume to offer advice to them.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

h210679 posted:

I finished reading Full Dark, No Stars just last night. I haven't enjoyed reading a book so much in years. King lost me with Under the Dome, I hated that book because of the lovely lazy bullshit Alien device. But Full Dark, No Stars - those four short stories nailed it for me.

So I just picked up my old worn paper back copy of The Dark Tower Volume (whatever lets just get this over with). I seem to read that 'sucker in 7 parts', part by part. So I've picked it up again starting at part 3 and this seems to be where the van hits.

I don't know how long I can keep reading this. Maybe I'll get to Part 4 and put it down for another 6 months.

Call Under The Dome whatever you like, but lazy it ain't.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Troposphere posted:

I liked that the aliens in Under the Dome were related to Pennywise in some form, seeing how the symbol on the door before Pennywise's lair and the symbol on the alien whatever it was was the same. I don't think that I would have quite liked it as much as I did if that little hint wasn't in there. It made them a lot more sinister, it's just too bad no one besides King nerds would probably pick up on it because it's kind of obscure.

I didn't know about this, the only thing I've read about the book so far to make me dislike the ending! I'm a big fan of the baby alien toy resolution, because the whole book is about people unknowingly affecting others with their actions, and who unknowingly affects others more than children? If the alien kid is from the same place as Pennywise then childish curiosity becomes pure malevolence and that changes everything for me!

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

I was skeptical of the casting (outside of Dean Norris) but that dude's a perfect Barbie.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
I'd say Carrie is still his most accessible book.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Firstborn posted:

I'm about 9 (out of 13 hours) into The Shining audiobook and have been liking it just fine. It was a little strange hearing the band in Jack's ghost encounter play "In the mood" after just finishing 11/22/63, but that's okay. There's been some legitimately creepy parts, and it's honestly very scary! He can really make mundane things super ominous. Can anyone give me a short non-spoiler hook telling me what The Talisman is about? I think that'll be my next book.

E: Is Black House as good? There's no way I'm reading Doctor Sleep. It looks awful.

doctor sleep is good

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

BiggerBoat posted:

Man oh man. I just cannot get into The Talisman. I think this is the second time I've tried to read it and 100 pages in I'm already glazing over. Should I stick with it?

100 pages is not very many

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

WattsvilleBlues posted:

What makes you think that, the director?

look up why the first director quit

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

The Shawshank Redemption is the best adaptation of a King story that exists.

he tells an anecdote between the stories in bad dreams where he was at the grocery store and a lady comes up to him and is like "your stuff is too gross, you should make stuff with happy endings, like the shawshank redemption" and king goes "i wrote that too" and she goes "no you didnt" and walks away

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Hedrigall posted:

Well "Mile 81" loving sucked. Like, it was genuinely scary and gruesome, but it went literally nowhere and King farted out the shittiest ending I've read to any of his stories yet. I hope the rest of the collection is more satisfying than that.

ya it was like the raft but he wasnt willing to go the places he used to go with the cast he had created

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
the dark tower is definitely king's magnum opus. it includes half his books and implies the other half. all of his books have a lot in common and the dark tower unifies even the most obscure stories (the raft - maybe a thinny? the jaunt - todash space? carrie white - breaker? mrs todds shortcut, desperation, eyes of the dragon, night flyer.) 11/22/63 in its entirety is an extended reference to the dark tower.

and it does get metafictional towards the end, which works extremely well and is very fitting given all of the above

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
thats sweet as hell

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
this means the detta segments will work and flow well with the story instead of bwleing jarring and tacked on.,,they'll help define Roland now

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

this post is like a 40 degree day.

lovely

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Zwabu posted:

I can't be the only one who keeps thinking about Greg Stillson from The Dead Zone the longer Donald Trump's campaign goes on, am I?

Rubio reminds me more of stillson....trump is more of a Randall Flagg type. cruz is big Jim rennie and Jeb is the Crimson King

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Frosted Flake posted:

Can someone briefly explain the connections and references linking 11/22/63 and IT. I'm reading the former, and as my first King book I understand some of the connections from pop-culture osmosis but a lot is going over my head.

What's in the sewers? What lives in the mill / the barrens? Who are the two kids with the jazz music?

11/22/63's scenes in Derry take place immediately after an inter dimensional shapeshifting demon that feeds off the fear of children and influenced Derry into being a cesspool of secrecy and hatred by killing random kids in brutal ways every once in a while got totally owned by a group of kids who were destined to own him. bev and Richie were among those kids and grow up to own him again. IT lives in the labyrinthine sewers and the area outside town that serves as entry to them

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
kings characters are uniquely alive and I was happy to er....see them again

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
Stephen king's books are about the journey, not the destination.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
are you seriously asking if there are points in the stand or the dark tower where you can put the book down without finishing?

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Advice posted:

Did you just say you haven't read The Stand because you got the ending spoiled?

Stop reading this. Go buy The Stand. You're welcome.

I'm actually jealous of you for getting to experience it for the first time.

it won't be the first time.....he clearly posted that he got the ending spoiled. how can u POSSIBLY enjoy the stand if u know how it ends????

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

DoctorG0nzo posted:

I did. Knowing the ending made it better - I think it would've disappointed me if I hadn't known it was coming, so I could appreciate the buildup and foreshadowing of it.

I feel like everyone has a love/hate relationship with King thats epitomized by the Dark Tower. As I read the series, each book till 4 was better than the last. Wizard and Glass was the peak for me. Then Wolves was solid but some signs of badness showed. Then Song of Susannah was suddenly, honestly one of the worst things I've ever read.

And then the final book seemed to vary just as widely in quality as the full series - the good parts were amazing (Callahan's death, the Breakers, the Pennywise-lite monster, the loop ending, which I thought was beautiful in its own way but understand is controversial) and the bad parts were insufferable (Flagg's garbage death, King's awkward self insertion, Mordred being bitched out, the Crimson King being an old Jew throwing bombs who gets hosed over by a new character no one gives a poo poo about (self aware deus ex machina doesn't mean it automatically works King)). I realize this got to rant territory, but drat.

It seems like King's whole bibliography reflects this - more good than bad, and a lot of what's good is brilliant, but the bad can be bad enough to taint that.

how on earth do you justify referring to the Crimson King as an "old Jew."

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

DoctorG0nzo posted:

Oh I didn't mean that in an anti Semetic way - I meant it literally reminded me of old shylock esque racist caricatures from the 20s. Maybe I'm misremembering but I'm pretty sure beady eyes and a hook nose were mentioned. Not trying to say anything about King's perception of race/culture, just saying I was getting some Shylock vibes.

so his description of a decrepit monster with white as snow skin and blood red beady eyes, blood red rose red beady dot little eyes (king emphasizes them a lot) and a hooked nose reminded you of the Jews.......

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
maybe keep your bigotry to yourself next time. some of us read the forums between Torah study sessions.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
yeah stu is totally randy quaid

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

ConfusedUs posted:

Pretty sure that Anne (Bobbi's sister in Tommyknockers) is described as rail thin and bony.

ya and the cool bikers in black house are pretty fat I think.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

JohnnyCanuck posted:

Nightmares and Dreamscapes had the Castle Rock story It Grows On You, which had this description of Joe Newall's wife, Cora:

lol

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
youre in texas and they introduce mexican bandidos that work for farson towards the end

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
consider the thinny the rio grande

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Admiral Bosch posted:

I'm rereading The Dark Tower series for the first time since high school, and I think I picked up on something that's... well, in error, historically speaking. I'm on Book 3 and Jake has just run into Young Eddie and Young Henry in New York. But Henry was supposed to have been wounded in Vietnam. And Jake's timeline is 1977. Am I missing something?

not really....i dont remember if thats ever explained but it wouldnt be difficult

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Advice posted:

OH MAN I just saw poster, Jealous Cow for the first time and the thread title is no longer a mystery to me.

Content: is there anyone, even a small minority, who didn't think the Dark Tower got awful towards the end, or is this a universally accepted issue?

i have no problems with the latter books

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
the end of the stand is a tour de force

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

corn in the bible posted:

if stephen king dies then the universe will end because he is the GREATEST WRITER EVER

thats a gross misinterpretation

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
booooooriiiiing

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

egon_beeblebrox posted:

Yeah, that ending would've been bad. Good thing Joe got involved.

Thanks for posting it, Teach.

i was being insincere

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

ruddiger posted:

I just started Song of Susannah and you guys aren't helping any.

its pretty good imo. well written at the very least

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
reading The Fireman - fat intellectual assholes named Harold have rough times in these King family post apocalyptic communes