Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

cheerfullydrab posted:

Insomnia is awesome. The answer to the question posed in this thread is always going to be Cell. Cell is absolutely horrible. If I read a Stephen King book or story that I don't think is that good, I can at least say "Hey, this is still better than Cell!"

That's exactly how I feel. I refuse to read anything of his published after Cell, but still have a few of his older books to read.

Also, The Dark Tower is pretty gently caress-awful. The first four books were great, the fifth was okay, and the last two were just terrible.

Insomnia really was awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

Am I alone in thinking "The Long Walk" was the best thing he's written? I'd like to see a movie made of it, but can't really see it happening.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

Bag Of Ghosts posted:

"The Cat From Hell" from Just After Sunset. This is a story about a hitman who is hired by a rich dude to kill his demon-possessed cat. The hitman puts the cat in a bag (this is the stupidest thing) and drives out to the river in order to drown the cat. But the cat claws its way out of the bag and kills the hitman by burrowing down his throat. The End.

It was amazing in Tales from the Darkside: The Movie, featuring Buster Poindexter.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

I've always kind of liked The Regulators. It was fairly stupid, but odd enough to like. I've never been able to finish Desperation.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

Stentorian Longing posted:

As far as his worst short story, I'm gonna go with The Bogeyman. That was some seriously retarded 11th-grade level plot bullshit.

Edit: some of my favorites are The Man In The Black Suit and You Know They've Got A Hell Of A Band.

I liked The Bogeyman. It wasn't great, but it was short enough to work without having to be all that thrilling. "You Know They've Got a Hell of a Band," "Umney's Last Case," and "The End of the Whole Mess" are my favorite short stories of his.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

fishmech posted:

He never really planned things out. In On Writing he said the only book he actually planned out was Insomnia.

Wow, really? It seems just as 'seat-of-his-pants' as his usual stuff.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

Izzy Mandelbaum posted:

I think I'm the only one that enjoyed the flashback. It was kind of like taking break from the series to read a short fantasy novel, before picking up where I left off.

I loved Wizard and Glass. It's probably my favorite in the series.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

northerain posted:

Pratchett is better than King? News to me.

Pratchett is way better than King most of the time, I think. Though King has pretty much everyone beat when it comes to short stories.

I just read "I Am the Doorway," and gently caress is that creepy.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

northerain posted:

I'm probably going to regret saying this, but I think there's a difference: King isn't writing the same book for the last 20 years.

I don't know. Cell and Dark Tower IV seem to prove to me that he's stuck on The Stand.

But this isn't worth arguing over. I like both writers, even with their faults. King can't write endings, Terry isn't always the most original, etc.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

I really like The Regulators, and have never made it through more than half of Desperation. I've tried reading it four or five times.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

muscles like this? posted:

I liked Desperation but The Regulators just felt too "cheesy."

This further confirms my theory that I have it somehow backwards. Nobody but me seems to like The Regulators more.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

My local Kroger already has Under The Dome for sale. Still don't really want to read it.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

OctaviusBeaver posted:

I thought IT was a pretty big disappointment. Partly I think that trying to have 7 main characters was just too much. Until they all came together it just meant that every time one of the Losers had a scene where they packed up to leave or encountered IT or anything else we had to have an equivalent scene for each of the other six.

Henry Bowers was pretty boring too, he was so overboard it wasn't believable. He couldn't just be a bully; he had to be racist, gay, retarded, fat, ugly, insane and homophobic. It got to the point where I just felt sorry for the guy.

The whole subplot with Bill's wife and Beverly's husband just seemed really pointless.It took what, two or three chapters and then they just show up in the IT's lair with no explanation? Why even bother adding another few dozen pages to an already bloated book?

I liked IT a lot the first time I've read it, but every time I've tried to re-read it, the farthest I get is about 2/3 into it, and then give up. Last time I tried, I didn't even get past Bev's introduction chapter.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

Ornamented Death posted:

I don't care what anyone says, I love The Langoliers.

The miniseries FREAKED me out when I was a kid. I still enjoy it for nostalgic reasons. It's really goofy, but Stockwell is great.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

I tried re-reading The Dark Tower about a month ago, but gave up 2/3 of the way through The Drawing of the Three because the Detta/Odetta stuff was driving me up the loving wall. The Gunslinger is great, though. I imagine I'll get back and finish The Drawing of the Three soon, I just had to take a break.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

Ein cooler Typ posted:

finished Full Dark No Stars

"Fair Extension" was a pretty good 2/3 of a story I just wish he'd finished it. I'd like a fair extension on this story XD

"Fair Extension" was great, if only for how mean it was. I also enjoyed "1922" a lot. The ending gave me the creeps.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

scary ghost dog posted:

I'd say Carrie is still his most accessible book.

I've tried reading it several times and just can't get through it. I do have it in that snazzy Barnes and Noble collection that also contains Salem's Lot and The Shining.

This one:

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

corn in the bible posted:

more like tour de farce

I love King's short stories but he is incapable of writing a good ending

I liked 11/22/63's ending. Salem's Lot had a good one. But yeah, most of his endings are dumb.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Running Man's ending sure was something.

An ending so good it became real life.

That joke is in bad taste. But it is a good ending.

I also thought Insomnia's ending was great, but Insomnia seems to be unpopular. I like it a lot.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

ExtraNoise posted:

The original ending is available to read:

http://stephenking.com/other/112263/112263.html

:smith:

For some reason, this won't open for me. Anyone care to copy/paste it for me?

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

scary ghost dog posted:

booooooriiiiing

Yeah, that ending would've been bad. Good thing Joe got involved.

Thanks for posting it, Teach.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

Hmm.

Interesting.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

I read IT at 13 back in 1999, and it didn't gently caress me up too much.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

I've been listening to the audio book of Christine lately. Stephen King is really good at writing overbearing mothers.

I also got a kick out of the fact that the narrator is the dude who played Deke in Maximum Overdrive.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

Lester Shy posted:

As a massive hypochondriac, the first 1/4th of that book is some of the scariest stuff I've ever read.

Same. I catch a cold every time I read it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

Soysaucebeast posted:

On the upside though, when I mentioned there was a mini-series made in the 90s he got interested in that so we might give it a shot. Anyone know if that's any good?

It's pretty good as long as you know that it's extremely 90s and sanitized for TV.