Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

Ballsworthy posted:

The worst poo poo is that story about the loving cymbal-banging monkey. I swear to god that guy used to just go to antique shops, look around and say to himself, "Hmmm, what hasn't been haunted yet?" The moment he realized that the only thing left was the shop itself blew his loving mind.

And then he went and wrote Needful Things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

Outside of all the kindle fellatio, it was a decent story

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

Ridonkulous posted:

Different worlds. One is about a small town in the middle of nowhere. The other is about invaders in a neighborhood. The entire cast is more or less the same, but the books are unrelated.

It's been years since I read the regulators but didn't it basically recreate the conditions of The Mist but instead of a grocery store it was a group of neighbors trapped in their houses together and instead of monsters it was power ranger cowboys?

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

Oh my god. Listening to IT on audiobook because I never finished reading it.

In the first chapter King foreshadows the death of George a full 3 times. "he ran towards his bad death" "it was the song that was playing the day his brother died" "it was the last time he saw his brother"

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

Kelly posted:

I just finished 11/22/63 about a half hour ago and needed to tell SOMEONE that I think it's Stephen King's best work - and I have read most of them.

I agree. I really liked 11/22/63.

Also the guy in your avatar is pretty much how I imagined Chaz Frati.

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

For me, at least, vampires are insidious. Forget romance or sexiness, they're a cancer. Handled properly, they are unbelievably creepy and terrifying. Salem's Lot does it well, with the town emptying out as more and more people are turned. It got really creepy in a way a lot of other vampire poo poo misses out on, because they're too focused on TITS and NECKING and SPARKLY. Lost Boys has that same kind of bleakness, for me. They're just inhuman monsters, there's nothing redeeming about them in any way.

30 days of night did this pretty well too in my opinion.

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

ImpAtom posted:

One of the big things about It is that childhood has power, and that power is both was leaves them vulnerable to but also allows them to confront It. That is why returning as adults is so dangerous, because they've lost that.

Sex is pretty inherently one of the most adult activities out there. It being connected to the "childhood magic" that protects them feels out of place because it isn't. Stan has his bird book, Bill has his children's speech therapy, Richie has his bad jokes, they're all inherently childish things but powerful because of it. It's being childish that gives them power within the context of the story. So Beverly's thing being "Welp, they can have sex with me" feels out of place because it isn't childish.

I hate to defend this scene because it is a really weird occurrence in the book, but the ideas they used to defend themselves against It weren't successful because they were childish things, but because they were magical, powerful things to the kids and the kids believed they were magic. Beverly's belief was in her love for Bill and the rest of the Losers, and because of the fact that the only way she knew to express love to that point was sex, she had sex with them.

Its really creepy, but I don't think its out of place for the character or the act of fighting It.

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

ImpAtom posted:

It was belief, but it was belief born from being children. They believed in things in the way that an adult can't. Even if you're going with the "Bev was abused" (and I believe the book directly refutes that with her saying that he never touched her but was still a creep) interpretation, it's weird for her firm magical child-belief to be in sex and sexual things, especially after the scene with Patrick and Henry. The only thing it seems to have to do with her character is that she's the girl.

IMO her belief wasn't in the sex, it was in the love, and sex was the way she knew to express the love. I think her mom had possibly talked to her about sex? I don't know.

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

Vogler posted:

I've only read one half of a Stephen King book. It was called 'Dreamcatchers', and I hated it. I'd like to give him one more chance, for some reason, but I don't want to leaf through something which spine holds more than 700 pages. Preferably not more than 400. And the book has to be scary. Thank you.

Salem's Lot

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

I liked Blaze well enough. For a not so good King book it wasn't that bad.

edit: I actually like Koontz a lot, but I can go ahead and point out the major flaws that make his books not really good:

• The protagonists are never absolutely alone. In the bad books the protagonists have a support system: A supportive family, some friends they met earlier in the book who happen to be survivalists and have a compound where the protagonist can hide for a few days, or just a surfer bum best friend who happens to be a computer security expert. Much of the time the friend or family happens to be some sort of deus ex machina type of solution.
  • The protagonists are never truly in need of being afraid. They have each other to bounce plucky lines off of, or they have specialized military or spy training that they have since retired from, or they have a magical dog that protects them, or superpowers that let them teleport.
  • The bad guys aren't exactly crazy. For the most part the bad guys in Koontz novels are believers - they all believe unfailingly in their ultimate goal which gives them carte-blanche to murder whoever they want.

There are a few exceptions to this, though not many recently.

Victorkm fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Jun 29, 2012

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

when worlds collide posted:

You both summed it up exactly. What little memory is left of my reading anything of his confirms that totally (and is why I have no desire to read anything of his, ever).

What is a Mary Sue/Marty Stu? I have a feeling I already know what that is but am having a brain bubble moment.

Mary Sue is the concept of the author imposing his ideal self on the character. I'm not sure if that's really the case with Koontz as much as him imposing his idea of the ideal person on all of his protagonists, not so much what he wants to be but the way he wants the world and people to be like.

Victorkm fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Jun 29, 2012

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

Geralds game!

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

Stroth posted:

What? No.

Yeah don't read Geralds game. All it has is the rapey stuff.

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

Awwww...I liked The Regulators.

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

Victory Yodel posted:

Swan Song (which scared the poo poo out of me, especially the K-Mart scene)

This is by Robert McGammon right? I really loved his book Boys Life growing up. Is Swan Song as good?

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

I'll add that Boys Life is pretty decent if you dig Stand By Me.

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

Ineffiable posted:

The most I heard when I was trying to research this without spoilers was they were supposed to be parallel universes of each other. I thought it'd be interesting in a 'what if so and so happened or something didn't happen' kind of way.

How wrong you were.

At least you seem to have read the right book first.

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

Don't forget the graphic description of the gay guys dick pressing through his leather pants in that one interlude near the start.

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

But not Thinner and definitely not Blaze.

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

nate fisher posted:

Sorry outside of The Long Walk, I thought Thinner was better than any of the other Bachman Books.

That said I haven't read either of them since 1986 when I was in 8th grade.

Maybe I am thinking about the movie as opposed to the book. The movie was pretty bad.

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

Bullshit. I love the movie. It's super different from the book but it was great.

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

Franchescanado posted:

While that's true, Clark Duke looks much younger, and I'd realy like to see him act in a more serious role.

Jonah Hill, so far, is the better actor, but he looks every bit of late 20's early 30's now

Bradley cooper as Stu Redmond, Ed Helms as Larry Underwood, and Zach Galifinakis as Tom Cullen.

Justin Bartha as Nick, I guess.

Ken Jeong as Harold.

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

I've been pondering a re-read since it has probably been 12-15 years since the last time.

A month and a half ago, I found out my wife is pregnant.

The book will be dropped off at a used book store soon.

And that was the last time the readers of the Steven King thread would read a post by Rev. Bleech_.

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

Captain Mog posted:

Just finished Doctor Sleep. God drat was that ever a great book. I haven't read a King novel since Under the Dome (and before that, high school, when I read nothing but King and thus burned myself out on him) so this was like biting into a big, juicy cheeseburger. I could talk about it all day.

You should read 11/22/63 if you haven't caught any king since Dome.

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

It wasn't the true ending people hated IIRC, it was right before when Roland got to the tower, only to face a crimson king who just threw sneetches at him or whatever while making a pitiful "EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE" sound. After he got into the tower, I at least thought it was fine.

Victorkm fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Jan 23, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

nate fisher posted:

Speaking of books that capture being a kid, has anyone read Robert McCammon's Boys Life? I've only read his Swan Song (while not great it is an interesting read for fans of The Stand), but I have thought about reading Boy's Life for years.

Yeah, I've read Boy's Life several times as a pre-teen and teen. Its probably one of my favorite books, and is my mother's third favorite book after To Kill a Mockingbird and Prayer for Owen Meany.