Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
Insomnia is his worst in my opinion, and it takes the title for longest book I've finished despite hating, at 700+ pages.

The little bald men reveals turned out to be so lame, anticlimactic. And the narrator just whined about dead his wife the whole time.

Song of Susannah was embarrassingly bad. I actually liked Wolves of Calla because it was just Seven Samurai. Dark Tower of course is polarizing.

Rose Madder was rough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

ConfusedUs posted:

My own personal ranking is 3(Wasteland), 1(Gunslinger), 4(Wizard/Glass), 2(Drawing), 5(Wolves), 7(Dark Tower), 6(Song).

That is mine exactly.

This is like one of those weird coincidences or parallel events that he writes about.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
His next book drops in May. It's four novellas. If It Bleeds

https://www.amazon.com/If-Bleeds-Stephen-King/dp/1982137975/

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Leavemywife posted:

Ever since I've read it, I've maintained that Dr. Sleep is a good book, but not a good sequel. It was a story that didn't need to be told, but not one I'm disappointed in having read.

My thoughts too. Well put.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Phanatic posted:

Caught the first episode of the Outsider on hotel room HBO. Pretty good! At least the first episode hews closely to the book. Straightforward, but well executed.

Is this going to spoil the Mr. Mercedes Trilogy if i I haven't already read it?

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
So what are the best of the seven or so short story collections?

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

oldpainless posted:

Night shift and skeleton crew. Four past midnight and different seasons for the novella collections.

I've read the two novella collections. Loved em.

I've read Dreamscape and Bazaar of Bad Dreams as well, so it's good to know there are some that are better than that. I'm gonna grab the first two on Thrift books, in that case.

escape artist fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Feb 20, 2020

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
The Holly character was really good in the Outsider TV show. The actress was great.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
they were blue chambray shirts, just like everyone does.

edit: what kind of boots were banned? steel toe?

I should stop posting high

escape artist fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Jul 15, 2020

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

BiggerBoat posted:

Same. I've never read any of the gunslinger/Dark Tower books and still have zero interest, especially having learned of the legendary terrible payoff. If I want a King story with a lovely ending, I'll just read...well...1/3 of his library like I have done instead of a 6 or 7 book long epic.

Can confirm you are out of your mind, yes.

EDIT: I really liked the movies Gerald's Game, 1922 and Cujo even though the books weren't fantastic (I liked GG and Cujo more than most here though). What's the best example of one of King's worst books being turned into a good film I wonder? We have several examples of it working the other way.

Regulators is the one with laxative ex machina right?

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
Six is also the shortest book in the series isn't it?

After three 1,000 page tomes, this one is only 432.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
edit: nm

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

BiggerBoat posted:

Jack Torrance, Annie Wilkes, the prison warden from Shawshank, Kurt Barlow, Christine, Cujo, Carrie's mother, The Overlook Hotel, the Crimson King, Randall Flagg...

I just meant there's more meat on the bone for a full rogues gallery retrospective of King's work than there is focusing singularly on Pennywise. Seems like we're in agreement if I read your post right and I get that he's iconic but he's not Freddy, Jason, Michael Myers, Dracula levels of infamous and there's not a ton of lore to be mined there. At least to me. Maybe there is. It's a big book widely regarded as one of King's best and the movies are long so I dunno.

I just don't see how you build a whole documentary around Pennywise unless there's a bunch of cool behind the scenes poo poo with Tim Curry that I'm not aware of.

Which film has the Crimson King in it?

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
I've got a few Stephen King books I'm selling in this thread. Eight first editions, though nothing particularly rare. Some other horror authors in there too.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4005650

I'll be adding more tomorrow as I go through another bookcase.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

scary ghost dog posted:

theres a lot of slumps. song of susannah is one of the longest books and the whole thing is a slump
Song of Susannah is actually one of the shortest books.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

joepinetree posted:

Small town shittiness is kind of king's expertise. Though I do have to warn you: King is not the best writer of women, especially early king. In a lot of the stories, the main female character is just the young woman the middle aged writer is banging.

So here's a list of recommendations that touches on some of the themes you mention:

lovely small town:
It
Christine
Salem's Lot
The mist
Cycle of the Werewolf

lovely parents:
It
Pet Sematary
The Shining

Women protagonists:
Dolores Claiborne
Gerald's Game
The Girl who loved Tom Gordon

If I had to pick my three favorites, I'd say they are Misery, It and the Long Walk, though only It would have one the themes you've identified.

I do have to warn you though, starting to read King late is quite interesting, because in many ways it is very conventional, but because he set the convention. Like, you read salem's lot, look at the publication date, and realize that like half of all the vampire fiction since then is influenced if not outright rips off King. So not a lot of it is going to be transgressive.

Rose Madder has a woman protagonist and King tackles themes of domestic violence head on. It's not the greatest but many people consider it a gem for those reasons.

I read it when I was on house arrest in rehab and had limited access to books. I don't know if I would have finished it otherwise, it's a little long and seems to lose itself toward the end.

Help a goon out! Lots of books - horror, nonfiction, classics and more for sale.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
I thought Rage had a stunning prescience to it. It was not wholly an enjoyable read but I'll be damned if he didn't capture a feeling that seems to have taken over a lot of kids in the nation.

Help a goon out! Lots of books - horror, nonfiction, classics and more for sale.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi posted:

FWIW if your library has a decent ebook/downloadable audiobook infrastructure, most of those will return automatically on their due date through whatever app they use to manage those loans (like Libby).

I reread The Stand last year after not reading it in well over a decade and yeah, I had a very similar epiphany around Harold’s character. It’s wild that King so perfectly captured the tenets of the incel movement decades before it existed (or, at the very least, entered mainstream consciousness).

Yeah you should look into the Libby app. My library has almost every King audiobook available through the Libby app, and it automatically returns. I don't think it's capable of incurring late fees.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
^^ End of Wastelands might've been where I was enjoying the series the most

graventy posted:

Maybe the novella?
Wind Through The Keyhole was gonna be my guess, too. I liked 1-5 and that one. Wolves was obviously a ripoff of a famous movie, but it's a great movie so I didn't really mind the "homage"

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
It's an adjustment when you're used to print books. My move to audiobooks wasn't entirely by choice though. I have pain problems that can even make holding a book uncomfortable. When I have the option, immersion reading (audiobook being read while the ebook highlights the text that is being read) is a lot of fun, but you gotta buy two copies of a book. Anyway, audiobook discrimination is ableist and that's a hill I'll die on.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
That dude's reply really annoyed me but the collective response made me laugh

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

:lol:

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

MNIMWA posted:

Just finished DT book 6. Hmm.

Didn't care for the meta stuff with SK the author, to be honest. I don't really feel like it adds that much to the story - you could take it all out (and, tbh, Callahan entirely) and be perfectly happy. It also felt like Mia revealed her true motivations a couple times, and the trip to Fenic was just a repetition of her whole deal? It's both too long and also doesn't provide the explanations for earlier stuff I was looking for, but I'm hopeful that these threads get wrapped up in book 7. I continue to feel like Susannah isn't really being used well as a character. There are also references to other King works that I think are getting past me - Cullen in Maine, for ex. Oy and Jake are still great, Eddie and Roland still great (excellent shootout in the general store, for ex). Looking forward to wrapping this up.
General critique on DT6, no spoilers for 7.
This is is the first DT book [6] written entirely post-accident, I believe, and it shows. It's rushed as gently caress, short, makes no sense, and insults the world it has created. Try to enjoy the final book but just realize it was also written in a year's time because he didn't want to GRRM that poo poo, before GRRM was known for GRRMing. He was painfully aware of his own mortality and the writing suffers significantly.

escape artist fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Sep 25, 2023

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

oldpainless posted:

My dudes have you read IT and 3 specific pages out of the 1100 page book?

Yeah, yeah. It's the loving worst. But he was on coke and whatever else then.

He shat out the spider boner tonguing while presumably sober.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

lines posted:

To be fair he may have been on the painkillers. I mean that doesn't justify it but I know he had a brief (?) "painkillers are great weeeee" period after what was, you know, a pretty damaging accident.

Ah, that's true. My knowledge of his drug use is mostly limited to what he describes in On Writing. And I don't remember that part, so much as the blow and the image of his wife emptying the trash of his paraphernalia. Maybe time for a re-read.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

dr_rat posted:

Pretty sure he was on booze and coke at the same time at some point. Remember some story he told where he was talking about having a trash bin full of empty beer bottles and bloody tissues or some such.

Booze and coke go hand in hand. They actually form a more toxic compound, cocaethylene, in the liver, when consumed together.

Ever seen the "don't do coke in the bathroom" sign at a bar?

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

mdemone posted:

:stonk:

Remind me not to do coke ever again (only 1.5 times when I was young and stupid)
I fooled around with it in high school but got bored of it, and then got repulsed by it when I saw how it made people I'd previously respected act. This was two decades ago, so long before fentanyl made it even loving dumber

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

MNIMWA posted:

Well, I finished Book 7 of the Dark Tower last night. I'm still thinking about it and probably will for a while. A lot of posters in here were down on books 5-7, and I agree for the most part that they are a let down after book four, I did still enjoy substantial parts of the last three books, particularly Wolves of Calla. Still didn't really enjoy the meta fiction elements of King as a character/conduit of Gan but I understand his reasoning for having that in there. The deaths of Eddie, Jake and especially Oy (RIP to the best character in the series) felt abrupt and a bit...I don't know, perfunctory? Like they had to happen, so they happened. Jake's especially! And the Delado (sp?) warning from Eddie and again from JAke, all for that to just be some emotional vampire with the literal deux ex machina in the basement...Patrick is from anotehr novel I haven't read, I guess, but it just kinda sucked to have that guy along for the last trek to the tower and for his powers to be the solution to the Crimson King on the balcony

I don't know, I'm disatisfied and a bit bummed that King did these characters like that and a lot of the choices made in the last two-three books. Speaking of which - Susannah. Jesus, King really didn't handle her well from start to finish, and even though I agree with her choice to leave Roland, she did it in a way that really sucked the power from that character, with the sneaking off to weep thing, the reliance on Detta... he really never treated her well as a character, I felt. Mordred didn't need to contract food poisoning either! What the gently caress. I guess it's a testament to King an the novels generally for making me care this much and get this mad lol

Sorry, this is getting ranty - but the last bit I have to bitch about is the gunslinger's Coda. I shouldn't have read it.

Come come Commala, the quality of these books is drastically gonna Fall-a

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
^^ Agreed.

MNIMWA posted:

tbh 2 had some pretty lovely parts relative to 1, 3 and 4

I agree with that too for sure. The Dean sections were so good, and the lobstrosities... but Roland uhhh, possessing people from the 'real world' instead of, you know, exploring the fascinating world depicted in The Gunslinger was so disappointing. 1 and 3 are my favorites for sure

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

err posted:

Just finished Dark Tower #3 and it was good. I liked the weird town they visit and the hosed up city. I am still unsure on a lot about Roland's past, but it sounds like #4 has a lot of flashbacks? I kinda wanna look up fan art but I'm afraid of getting spoiled. The worldbuilding is my favorite parts.

#3 was the last one that I enjoyed for worldbuilding's sake. I thought that was the apex of the series.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Leave posted:

Rose Madder is another one of his books that I really like that a lot of people seem down on. I think Rosie is a good character, and Norman is incredibly scary to me.

It's just so bloated and aimless that I couldn't enjoy the good aspects of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Cannibal Smiley posted:

Robert McCammon's "Swan Song" is very similar to The Stand. It's well-written, kinda pulpy and a little broader than The Stand, but still good.
Seconding this. I like it more than I liked The Stand.