Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

As a Millennial I posted:

We've found a house we think we're ready to move on. The one sticking point we're still unsure about - it shares a driveway with the house next door. Anybody have horror stories re: shared driveways?

Some friends recently bought a house with a shared driveway easement thing. They've had a lot of headaches with it, similar to that story linked above. Have you said hello to the neighbor?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Locks are useless you need traps. Me coming home after work:

e- Note that you should up your liability coverage, if you go with this setup.

Epitope fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Jul 18, 2015

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

SiGmA_X posted:

Get quotes, and get a credit from the seller. You don't want them hiring a really bad contractor.

If it's FHA, you may have to have the work done before the loan can be issued. Conventional should be fine with work done post closing. I'm not an expert here, never done it myself, but that's my understanding. My folks last house sold with a single windowsill having dryrot and the bank didn't care - my folks gave a small credit for that. I know from inspecting when the new owners were gone that it hasn't been fixed 2yrs later.

Insurance wise, they'll give you 30days to fix it usually. Or more, or they won't even care. It all depends. But they definitely give a grace period for work that must be done like knob and tube or roof replacement.

Just had some experience with the FHA inspection thing. Sitting down with the bank to sign lots of stuff. She tells us it's our right to get an inspection, although we don't have to. But! if we tell her that we got one then she has to use it and we have to fix everything they say. She even told the story of the couple who were both contractors who planned to knock out a wall right after closing. They still had to pay someone else to fix the outlets in that wall before they could close. One of the forms we then sign says "we choose [] /choose not [] to have a home inspection," and that seems like the whole point of the form. She points to the sign spot, then flips the page. Of course my anal retentive german heritage makes me say wait, we don't have to mark a choice? She just kinda played dumb until we flip the page again.

It's exciting navigating these murky waters involving 100s of thousands, where loopholes involve dotting that i but not crossing that t. Onward! Bring on the folly!

ps, Poker guy, do you own everyone in negotiations?

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

OSU_Matthew posted:

When they send in that paperwork for underwriting, I'm assuming it'll get kicked back if you don't fill that out. In which case, you might as well go ahead and mark yes because you'll be getting an inspection of course.

... You will be getting an inspection, right?

Hmmm, if you are right then why would they wait? Why would she not say to mark it when I asked? Like, what was the point of her telling that story?

Anyway yes the inspection is done and the repair amendment already negotiated and signed.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

QuarkJets posted:

I think the meme in this thread is that "agents are literally scum of the earth". They're somewhat useful, you just have to keep in mind that they're looking after their own best interests, not yours. These interests don't always align

I find all realtors, including ours, to be slimy and awful, but there's no way I'd want to do this without one. We tossed around putting in an offer on an FSBO, and the sellers wanted us to go without a realtor too. God that would have been a nightmare.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Just signed the closing stuff. It came up that the As-Built does not reflect the addition of an arctic entry. They tried to make it sound like this won't be a monkey wrench thrown in the works, but we'll see. She asked if it's on a concrete foundation. Well no, the old front steps are still visible under the new deck which extends from the entry, but the entry has a roof that is contiguous with the main house... I can't see that as being a non-permanent addition. Maybe we can get a new survey done in like 24 hours? This was the realtors missing something they should have seen, isn't it. The shed isn't the same one that is on the survey either.

The realtor also gave us a fancy knife, huh. I can't deny that does endear him to me a bit, guess I'm easy.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Our title insurance (both sides) was over $2000

As-Built survey. Maybe it's an Alaska thing? http://www.alaskarim.com/alaskarim/page.html?page_id=145 The title office lady said that the shed on the survey was violating the setback, but that shed is no longer there. So presumably the only issue would be the survey needing updated. They're still saying it's no problem so onward to recording. Gimme them keys, and lurking maintenance horrors.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Antifreeze Head posted:

I was on board with the As Built part, it was the arctic entry I was wondering about... but if you are in Alaska then I guess things are working as intended.

Oh, haha. Ya it's cold up here, although the last year or two you lower 48ers stole our winter.

Supposedly getting keys in a couple hours. Never heard anything else about the as-built, nor the choice of inspection form I mentioned during the mortgage app. It's wild how much fudging goes on in these 6 figure deals. Although I suppose it shouldn't be surprising given things like ENRON, and the subprime mortgage thing.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

How the hell do you ever get a response from a seller's agent? No one ever replies to me when I contact them myself and leave voicemails and emails and poo poo. I just dumped my buyer's agent because she was lovely but now I can't get any responses.

Weird. All the sellers agents we contacted would fall over themselves trying to represent us too.

^^ ya that

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Ya, a little courtesy goes a long way.

This

Economic Sinkhole posted:

You: "I'm going to trim that tree, it is touching my house"
Them: "OK"
You: "Just wanted to let you know."
You: "I'm not an rear end in a top hat"

may sound like a waste of time, but you're giving them the opportunity to voice any concern or give input. Sure, 99% chance they won't have any, but it still lets them feel in charge of their little kingdom. "I'm not an rear end in a top hat, you're the boss of your domain" is totally worth saying.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

revmoo posted:

It's not in my name, we just make the payments. Dumb I know but I also wasn't expecting a close family member to have a mental break. Our credit wasn't in shape to get anything back when we moved in so it was pretty win/win at the time.

We're not super-screwed as the mortgage is cheaper than rent, and realizing the equity isn't like going to an ATM, so if we lost the house it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world, but still, I'd prefer to keep it.

Can you assume their mortgage? I think it depends on the terms of the loan, but something to look into.
http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/avoiding-foreclosure-can-someone-else-assume-take-over-the-mortgage.html

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
We once lived in a house with the closet coming off the bathroom. Then one summer everything in the closet started molding, so we moved because we were renting.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Citizen Tayne posted:

Does your house have a basement?

I am protected :cool:

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
this is the place for tales of regret and self loathing, right?

started shopping casually about a year ago. we were in a month to month rental, so no pressure. want to find the right place. did a viewing here and there. nothing too serious. occasionally one would be a bit exciting, but never enough to make any moves. also, taking the time to get the financial situation in prime shape (increase our ability to overextend). beginning of 2020, feeling like we should find one this season. still not a rush, but ready. start to get bummed when houses that look intriguing are under contract before we can drive by to take a look. ok, guess we need to be ready to pounce when the right one comes along. made a low ball offer on a FSBO, but no traction. seeing a few that are looking close, but they need too much work and are at the upper end of the budget even before including remodel costs. starting to feel discouraged by our prospects.

then a friend points out a coming soon. prime lot. good size for us. looks super nice. zillow says way past our budget. lets look anyway. the word from the realtor is, "immaculate care" "done it right" "surprising to find that anything needs work." ok so maybe if it doesn't need any work for a while, we can afford it! (i'm sure you can guess how that worked out) At the viewing, it indeed looks like it was done right. uh oh, they say an offer is already being tendered! better rush to the bank to see if we're cleared for this much. of course we are, they know we're good for it. ok, so, what are we doing? make an offer? be competitive? we're already way maxed, how do we do that? by saying "as is" of course. no, i don't like that, it's not a good move. ok fine, it's just money. roger, bombs away. bang, we're under contract, hooray. time for the inspection. should we get the guy we used last time? na, we're on a time crunch, just use the realtor's. (critical error 3? someone else count for me) the guy is just raving about the house. screw you buddy, we're paying you to tell us what's wrong with it. whatever, i guess it really is done right. sailed on through to closing, with the usual underwriting scramble, this time with a pandemic haze. time for our walk through; what color shall we paint this room? signed, got them keys, time for movin.

sweet, new digs. ah, are those some water spots on the ceiling? well, they did have a leak they fixed, maybe that's just from before the fix. hmm, the replaced section of soffit has some spots on it too. eh, that gutter is backflowing a little, it's probably just that. maybe i'll just peak behind the soffit vents. uh, honey, the roof decking on half the north side of the house is blossoming with mold. gently caress. what the hell, they spent a bunch of money on the roof, how did they not fix the problem? who is this joker previous owner? let's look him up in the records. oh geeze, he's been involved in a lot of litigation. oh my, he and the owners before him were in court for years over this roof. jesus the rafters have been replaced twice in the last 20 years. and it appears that the problem has still not been solved. welp

huh, typing that out helps. seems i'm not truly wishing to have take our down payment, quit our jobs, and lived in a van. and glad to not have a landlord anymore. weird. is this like stockholm syndrome?

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

BAE OF PIGS posted:

If we wanted to find someone to help us figure out how much house we can afford, help us navigate all the different first time homebuyer programs that are available, direct us to good lenders in our area, etc. would an exclusive buyers agent be the route to go?

We're finally getting to a good point where we're thinking we're in a good position to finally buy within the next year, but have absolutely no idea where to begin. Like, if we needed someone to hold our hands through the whole process and has our best interest in mind, would that be an exclusive buyers agent?

A real estate agent and a loan officer will be happy to hold your hand and explain your options. If you're asking who will help you make responsible choices, I don't know. The bank and the real estate agent might very well encourage you to make irresponsible or even reckless decisions. Maybe some are better than others in that regard. I bet you could find out by asking the right questions when you interview them.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Powers posted:

Find a nonprofit near you that has first time home buyer classes. In NH, we have NHHFA and CATCH that offer these sorts of classes for free. They do not have a financial interest in you spending as much money as possible.

Not that you shouldn't take the class, but don't expect it to fully equip you. The one here they said "oh the seller pays all the realtor fees, so that's free to you, yay!" Which is not a very responsible way to portray that part of the deal.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

BAE OF PIGS posted:

If we wanted to find someone to help us figure out how much house we can afford

Thinking about this more, do you mean like a financial planner? Someone who will sit down with you and your partner and discuss your goals and budget and retirement plan etc? A realtor or loan officer is for sure not a good option there. Like ^^^^ that guys says, they're just gonna get you in a house, whether it's good for your goals or not.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

ntan1 posted:

the best kind of legal is quasilegal -

Electrical on the permit looks at all nothing like the plans? Well, that's part of construction anyway and the inspectors don't care.

Former area calculations and bathroom calculations were incorrect? Well, the architect can just make some "measurements" an send them in as part of the permit.

Building technician is curious as to why the area of that one sketchy room seems very slightly off? Architect can just "redo the measurements" and fix the numbers!!

House doesn't meet setback requirements? Well the building was already existing for a while and counted as part of 'square footage', and setback requirements were different 60 years ago!!!

Want something done to the house but dont want the inspector to make a fuss about it? Do it after the rough inspection and cover it up so the inspector doesn't see it! Oh, but now you want to sell the house? "Well it was inspected and permitted see I have the permit!"

This is how half the work our there is done. The other half is done "by the book" by people blindly following code and their training, with no comprehension or interest in achieving the intent of the code/training they're following.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Zero VGS posted:

I'm going to be living there homie, like for real. Not my fault it's profitable the second I get the keys. Not sure what me renting the other units has to do with me having been able to afford it until it failed appraisal, and asking what solutions would and wouldn't be kosher to make up the difference.

Like what's your endgame here, ban discussion of any housing purchases if they incidentally involve 2 units or more? Sheesh.

You're bragging about this great deal you're about to close, while whining about the regulatory tape that's holding you back. All you see is bullshit red tape, while people here are pointing out serious red flags. This would be a reason enough to call you out, but you're aspiring to build your fife on three other households' rent money. If you get in hot water, they could feel that heat. People aren't jealous or just being mean, they're worried they're watching a slow moving train wreck and are trying to prevent it.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Feelin this pretty hard

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Weaponized Autism posted:

Made it to attorney review! Everything is going well so far.

My lender is asking for recent bank statements for my various accounts. One of those accounts I don't have April's bank statement because it had no transactions. I do have one transaction this month though. No way of generating it ad-hoc according to my bank. So I guess we just...wait till June when the next monthly statement is sent? My lender didn't seem too concerned but doesn't seem like they can proceed with underwriting until I get them this info. It's almost 3 weeks out until I can get that statement so I should be alright. According to my contract a "committed mortgage" needs to be set 30 days after attorney review so I have time.

They wanted to see the earnest money transaction on my end, and I was like but the statement isn't coming out for weeks, can I get you something sooner? The solution was for me to go in and log into my bank on their computer and show them, and they printed the webpage. House buying rules

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Mortgages and deeds and contracts look all important and official, but they're really just another system like plumbing or electric. Instead of flooding your basement or burning your house down you might send all your money to ??? so that's why you pay the professionals and if they gently caress up, don't worry kid that's what insurance is for

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
hey guys it's the previous owner, let's stomp his rear end

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

skipdogg posted:

You’re not supposed to take the wall mount. Something about it being attached to the house, so it conveys unless specified in the contract.

I left all my wall mounts when I sold my last house.

Yes I'm sure it's to be compliant and not because people are lazy

E. Not trying to call you out personally, maybe your realtor, def my previous owner

Epitope fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jun 17, 2020

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

skipdogg posted:

I swear I'm not making poo poo up. Here's an excerpt from a standard Texas real estate sales contract https://www.trec.texas.gov/sites/default/files/pdf-forms/20-14_0.pdf

I don't doubt it's by the book (though standard and required are different). It just happens that this practice aligns with sloth, and thus is followed, while other requirements are too much work, and are ignored

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Hawkeye posted:

but it depletes us more than I'd like to be depleted.

Did this. Regret it. Stay strong, don't let the pressures convince you to do something you know you shouldn't

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Zero VGS posted:

Inherited wealth? How loving dare you, I grew up poor and had barely enough for a down payment in 2008 when I got into real estate. No, it was 50% good hard work and bootstraps and luck, and 50% fraud to take the edge off.

edit: also, if I said it once I've said it a million times, being a gay with no kids who doesn't smoke or drink and bikes to work and has no standards of fashion or diet and plays F2P videogames when not busy with his own home improvement sweat equity, saves an ungodly amount of money. My non-housing expenses are around $200/month. Goons love to poo poo on me but the truth is none of you could HANDLE a lifestyle like mine. You'd blow your brains out from depression in the scenarios I thrive in. I've been in full prepper apocalypse mode for over a decade and now it's my time to shine, baby!

All of this is cool and good, except for the fraud.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I made a thread about do never buy. Come help/laugh at me

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3951491

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I think the question is if you offer asking and it appraised at asking would you be happy? And if you offer asking, pay for appraisal, and it comes back 70k lower and the seller won't budge, how sad would you be? You could also offer at 70k under asking.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Dik Hz posted:

or bad at their jobs.

Ya. There's this feeling that since it's a large transaction people are competent and take appropriate care. In reality there's probably similar quality work done by a typical highschool algebra class

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

"The most probable price that the specified property interest should sell for in a competitive market after a reasonable exposure time, as of a specified date, in cash or in terms of equivalent to cash, under all conditions requisite to a fair sale, with the buyer and seller each acting prudently, knowledgeably, for self interest, and assuming that neither is under duress"

Thank you for the explanation, nice to know more about what goes on. However lol at the bolded part, especially "knowledgeably"

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Objectivity is a nice goal, but we're all human. Also even if they do a perfect job of looking at all the cards on the table, deuce seven occasionally hits a full house.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Tried to buy a house, ended up a communist

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

B-Nasty posted:

Many of the major (5-figure+) defects are also pretty readily apparent to anyone with even some basic construction knowledge.

I don't doubt there's people who are better at this than me, but I don't think I'm a total dunce and I got nailed (with an inspection...)

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

a $600 inspection could* have saved you that 15k in the cost of the house.

*results may vary. No guarantee expressed or implied. In the event of an error or omission, take a hike sucker

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
What's with making the thread icons the same? The house threads are hard enough to tell apart as is. Sorry for griping, mods are good and cool

AmbientParadox posted:

Or am I having a panic attack over nothing

House buying is stressful af. Stay strong goon

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

AmbientParadox posted:

The tops of the tiles over the west side of the dining room are exposed. This condition can allow water under the tiles and can cause leakage of the roof

That sounds moderately concerning. I'd want to get the roof focused inspection

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Wait, there's people in the 21st century who don't like open concept kitchens? I've lived in i think 16 houses, and I can think of 1, my grandparents', that had a kitchen with a closable door. Only a couple more could you even get a door in there without a big remodel. Who are you people?

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Motronic posted:

Or do you think any kitchen without a closable door is open concept? Because that's not at all what we're talking about.

Ok maybe it's just me not understanding what y'all are talking about. If there's a wall but the opening is the size of a big double door, does that count as open concept? Is that enough to make a difference for these smells and grease and noise that seem so bothersome?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Ok I went back and looked, and my college house actually did have a double folding door in the doorway. We certainly never closed it, and the layout didn't prevent someone watching a movie chatting someone running the stove. My grandparents kitchen was very separate, like "go back to the kitchen and top bothering us, servant" style.