Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

I kept seeing a listing for a 2000 sq. ft. “home” in a nice neighborhood in Denver, only 330. Turns out, it’s actually a 4000 sq ft empty lot that they’re trying to subdivide and sell as individual plots (at 330 ea.) for someone to build on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hauki
May 11, 2010

SpartanIV posted:

I'm praying it's not DFW Denver or I'm never going to own a home. :smith:

Hauki
May 11, 2010

My $20,000 will hopefully be 5% at least :geno:

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Asbestos is fine until you start hacking into it willy-nilly

Hauki
May 11, 2010

pmchem posted:

For those of you who have bought older houses, how did you handle the plumbing during the home buying process?

I suspect that a house we're interested in has pipes older than 1975, with lead in their the solder or the pipe itself. It does have some copper pipes (unknown what percent). I haven't paid for a lead water concentration test yet, or had the house inspected yet. The safety of the water is a pretty big question mark.

Anyone else deal with this? What'd you do? Or would you do?

We bought a 1952? We had a full scope inside & out as part of the initial inspection. The pipes were a mishmash of half a dozen different materials of different ages - there was some lead used, but only on the sewer outtake, so not a concern insofar as drinking water. Most of the outtake were cast iron or clay with some abs(?) and the rest was a mix of pvc, copper and abs depending on function and age. Honestly it hasn’t been that big of an issue.

We’ve also done a fair chunk of remodeling over the past few years and replaced whatever we could reach/made sense to replace.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Looked at another half dozen places today, this poo poo is exhausting. Found one place that's got a lot of pros and some substantial cons - it's enough under budget that I could probably do some major repairs/upgrades before moving in, but not everything I'd want to do. That's not necessarily a deal-breaker, it's big enough that I could basically just quarantine substantial chunks of the house while I finish it to my liking, but then there's stuff like yard size, etc. which I can't change at all. It's also got no cooling whatsoever, so that's basically an immediate x thousand dollars to put in AC that I can't put towards whatever else. It's also essentially a large single bedroom house with a lot of attached storage space and a variety of places to poo poo, despite being listed as 3 bed, 3 bath. The 700-800 sq. ft. basement is completely unfinished, which I don't mind doing myself, but it has some more worrying details and the staircase down looks like it was built by someone blind drunk. Raw, warped wood nailed in at weird spots with like a 1.5" gap between the stairs and the interior wall, all the way down. The steps are unfinished 2x8, the face of each stair is warped, miscut plywood haphazardly nailed in.

All in all, the interior layout is great though and most of the stuff I'd otherwise want to do is just cosmetic.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Jose Valasquez posted:

Paid to have a sewer line test done as an additional part of inspections, we made it clear that we were on a timeline and would need the results by today at the latest. After multiple attempts to get them to give us a report a couple hours ago we got a YouTube video of the test and no additional information. At this point I can confirm that there appear to be pipes but pretty much nothing else since I have no idea what I'm supposed to be looking for :v:

Were you not present for the inspection? When we had one done, the dude talked us through everything as he was scoping, watched the video with us afterwards and pointed out other poo poo (figuratively), then burned a hard copy on the spot and handed it over.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Put in an offer today. Somehow this poo poo was way less stressful the first time around.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Jesus Christ, I wish I could get a house at $200k and not pay income tax. Living in Texas would be a deal breaker though.

Anyway, as a single adult with roughly half of the numbers of you two combined, I qualified for like 340, so you should have no problem getting that at all.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Holy poo poo, I did a pretty small down payment on a small place and it’s like equivalent to the cash price of that entire house.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

You’re potentially risking tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars to save a couple hundred. I mean, the choice is yours but I’d sure as hell prioritize an inspection over some of your other moving expenses.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

welp, against my better judgement i bought a house today

already spent five hours at home depot

Hauki
May 11, 2010

gtkor posted:

Having said that, if by "bought the house" you mean "had your offer accepted and are now under contract"...don't open up a new credit card before you close on the purchase.

Nah, I closed yesterday. Got keys and started work right away.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

SpartanIvy posted:

You should absolutely save up more money. I've got 30K in savings going into buying a $150K house at 31 and I feel like I'm leaving myself exposed. What if you get sick, or injured, or lose your job, etc. You'd be stuck with lots of expenses and no money. Also, something is bound to be wrong with the house or go wrong immediately after buying it. You need money for that and it will probably be thousands.

I had about 50k in savings, also 31, just bought a $310k house with 10% down and I feel hella exposed right now, but that was pretty much the bottom end of the market here. Also I've already dumped like 5k into making the place habitable, and I'm looking at another 5k to redo the flooring. Luckily I got the seller to cover 7.5k worth of sewer work at closing.

rscott posted:

Wichita's housing prices seem like Flint's except you can actually get a job here, which is why I moved from one place to the other but anyways my plan was to rent a house for a year or so, build up some savings and see if I actually wanted to own a house long term but I received that news more or less out of the blue and I wasn't sure what I should do. Think I'm going to stick to my original plan, you guys are right.

Yeah, if you have no outside pressures on your living arrangements, I'd let that appreciate a little more over the next year, pay off debts, start saving in the meantime and then you should be in a great position at that price point.

Hauki fucked around with this message at 05:05 on May 2, 2018

Hauki
May 11, 2010

What the gently caress was your inspector doing if not actually inspecting the property?
Fake edit: and if you were present, why didn’t you ask him to at the time?

Hauki
May 11, 2010

I offered decently under because I knew I was the only competitive offer on a listing that had been up nearly three weeks in a hot market. Appraisal came back at 15k above what I offered :shrug:

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Holy poo poo small town hardware stores are expensive

And I'm drawn to it like a moth to a flame

Why did I buy a house

(because fixing my own poo poo rules)

cue catastrophic flooding

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Tnuctip posted:

Well im dumb and bought a house. Hooray!?

Congratulations. Now get ready to spend the rest of your money fixing dumb poo poo you didn’t notice or anticipate.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Elephanthead posted:

My state gives a 20% state tax credit on 529 plan contributions. Super sweet discount but the limit is $1000 of credit a year so 2 out of 3 kids ain't going to a good college. Sorry kids state schools for you.

lol, with that cap that might cover a single semester at a good school if you save for every year of the kid’s life

Hauki
May 11, 2010

A MIRACLE posted:

Friend just bought a place in Denver with 5% down. they won’t let him take pmi off until year three of the loan and 20% equity minimum but it seems like a good setup for him

I just bought in Denver in April? May? with 10% down because that’s what I could afford while still bring able to put some work into the place and have a bit of a safety net left. They told me I could take PMI off after a year/as soon as reappraisal plus payments equaled out to 20% equity. I’m not sure I’ll hit that target year, although it already appraised at 25k more than what I offered in the initial loan docs and I’ve put a decent bit of work into it since, I didn’t get as much done as I’d hoped on the bigger projects (new floors, etc.). In any case, I’m hoping to drop PMI sooner than later if possible.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

I just brought a few vintage and legacy staples to closing. Good as cash baby.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

skipdogg posted:

School is starting/has started. Generally real estate slows down around the time school starts, and picks up a lot towards the end of the school year. YMarketMV of course.

Yeah, prime season here is like February-July now. I kinda wish I could’ve waited for offseason just to not deal with the ridiculousness of the market, but less inventory then too of course.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Koivunen posted:

The side of our house, which is brick, got a huge dick spray painted on it. I can’t wait to be out of this poo poo neighborhood.

Do you live near any other goons? :thunk:

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Horbo, the Suicidal Senator posted:

I need advice from people with experience and who aren't involved. I'm potentially a first time homebuyer, here are my stats:

-Renting month to month
-We have 25k saved for a house.
* Annual income is about 90k
-We live in a seller's market (Denver Metro)
-Credit scores are excellent, we're both ~720-740.
-We have a car payment of 300, no other debt.

Our landlord is selling our townhouse and gave us first rights on buying before listing. He is definitely in a rush. We like the place enough to where we'd stay for at least 5 years but not so much in love with it that this is a do or die buying situation. We have a pre-approval for the potential listing it at 230,000. Our "issue" is that we feel like the listing price is a little too high for un-refurbished townhouse. Our "zillow" comps for the same price have upgraded flooring, countertops and appliances where our carpet is damaged/very old, standard rental appliances and that awesome fiberboard/laminate covered countertop that I would replace immediately. Also, further interior work will be needed, the inspector will note damage and cracking in doorways at the least.

I believe I need to know if a) I should even bother to negotiate and b) if I do offer below, what is the best way to do so--or is it better to get money off of closing costs?

I'm dumb and inexperienced, please treat me as such.
Little disjointed because I’m mashing this out in spurts in the middle of my workday.

Anyway, being fairly familiar with that exact market, 230 could be very reasonable. Most updated townhomes in quasi-desirable parts of town have been listing at 275-300++ this season. Many of the more desirable ones were selling for up to 10% over asking. That all depends on a bunch of other factors which weren’t enumerated earlier though, such as relative location, size, HoA, amenities, actual condition, etc. It sounds like you’ve done some research already though presumably factoring that in.

On the other hand, the market will definitely be a little quieter going into fall and winter, so while you’ll have fewer options to chose from, the odds of someone outbidding you by 30k are also significantly lower if you can afford to wait and look around a bit more.

It sounds like while you’re pretty set as far as income relative to what you’re looking for, you’re fairly tight on liquid cash. In light of that, I would lean towards having closing costs covered rather than reducing the sale price. If there aren’t (m)any other offers, you might be able to get away with both of the above. I did, but the whole process from offer to closing was pretty contentious and high stress. That may not be worth it to you.

Regardless of anything else, I would still have an agent take you to see comparable properties in your price range in person so you have a good idea of your other options and the relative value of the place you’re in currently.

Finally, whatever you intend to do, get an agent or lawyer to represent you.

Hauki fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Aug 30, 2018

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Medullah posted:

When you guys are out and about looking at houses, how are you tracking what you like/don't like? I created a personal Google Map and have been entering addresses of houses I am interested in as pins and noting things in an Excel spreadsheet, but it occurred to me there HAS to be an actual app/program to do the same thing.

My agent’s company had their own MLS scraping tool that could be set up for customized searches on a per-client basis with the ability to make notes, like and favorite properties and share them between users. At each viewing my agent also printed out the appropriate listing which had a bunch of blank space that I took notes on in the moment with pros, cons, random thoughts that struck me.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Koivunen posted:

The numbers I write are definitely based on my own personal experience. After taxes, family health and dental, union dues, etc come out of my paycheck, my take home is significantly less than my gross pay. I like to be able to save a lot, like several hundred a month, which is why I’m so conservative with numbers. This habit has saved us when unexpected things have happened like expensive vet bills, having surgery and being out of work for four months, when the hot water heater exploded, etc. Also, if we ever want to do fun stuff like take a vacation or travel to see a concert, we can just do it, we don’t have to plan to save up to do it.

I get that not everyone likes to save as much as we do, but it just seems crazy to me to spend so much of your income on a mortgage. A lot more happens in life than house related stuff.

If I were to apply your advice to my state on a proportional basis, you’re arguing that something like 4% of households should own the property they inhabit. That’s more than an order of magnitude different than the average across the country.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

therobit posted:

Yeah, it pisses me off because I live in a neighborhood with no sidewalks and there is huge opposition to them because people don't want to pay to maintain them. There's is a busy street separating the neighborhood from the commercial area, and I can't let my kids walk to the store because there is no safe way for them to walk there.

I just walk through people’s yards at that point, gently caress it and gently caress them

I understand if that’s not an attitude you want to intentionally nurture in your children though.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Residency Evil posted:

On the topic of homeowner's insurance, is my best bet to give State Farm/Geico a call and go from there?

For what it’s worth, Geico gave me a good auto quote and a hilariously out of touch homeowners quote, to the tune of three times what Allstate was asking for the same policy (and vice versa)

Hauki
May 11, 2010

as a buyer, there’s no loving way I would accept much less pay for an inspection provided to me by the seller

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Jose Valasquez posted:

If $15,000 was a couple weeks of income I'd be making almost $400k per year and I would probably look at a lot of things differently

I had the same thought!

Hauki
May 11, 2010

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Dunking a hundred thousand dollars of a Comcast exec is like a spiritual experience, I'm thrilled for you.

Same, and now I completely understand your obsession with trying to pocket the extra 15k on a million dollar home

Hauki
May 11, 2010

therobit posted:

If flippers who paid cash are trying to get out for less than transaction costs, you should be very, very happy to not have bought that house.

yeah something's hosed there for sure

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Mahoning posted:

Yeah this is pretty much the gist of it. It just so happens that around 1978 is also when inflation and interest rates rose to ungodly levels and new builds slowed to a crawl. In my city, it is hard to find a home even built in the 1980's (I honestly can't remember one and I've looked at thousands of homes over the years). And everything built in the 90's or newer is out of the price range of most first time buyers.

So to say "Oh just don't buy a home built before 1978" is pretty naive.

Yeah, exactly my thoughts. If you wanted to abide by that restriction here, you’re either looking at something 20+ miles out of town in one of the endless development hellscapes, a luxury condo or a six figure scrape. I’ve got a number of friends with newborns/young children who bought places built in the 50s-70s and they certainly didn’t have an extra 30k cash lying around for remediation on top of a down payment, appliances, moving expenses, reasonable safety net, etc. etc.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Tunicate posted:

Its a sign that the market is about to implode in a crisis.

lol I’ve been getting those calls/letters/etc. for years over the course of two different houses

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Subjunctive posted:

Depends a lot on where you are. My land transfer tax alone was 3.5% of the purchase price as the buyer.

Yeah, depends. As a counter example, virtually all of my costs outside of an inspection & the down payment itself ended up covered one way or another.

Jealous Cow posted:

I’m definitely over my ex, [three thousand words about ex].

your... ex-house?

Hauki
May 11, 2010

redreader posted:

I live in San Jose and that's basically my thinking. Definitely leaving the bay area to buy. I was looking at houses in Westminster (Denver) this weekend and none were over 400k. And the people in Denver are like "houses are unaffordably expensive!"

Westminster isn’t Denver

Hauki
May 11, 2010

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

I don't think you can even buy anything for under 200k here unless it's an empty lot full of used needles.

according to my insurance policy, my lot is valued at well over 200k and the house itself is like, 75k or some poo poo

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Leperflesh posted:

insurance on your structure is the rebuild cost, not its market value.

yes, i'm aware, it was a statement to commiserate with the dude saying 200k would afford you a trashed empty lot

Hauki
May 11, 2010

i was in the process of editing the above but it got rather lengthy and i was in the middle of making dinner so i'm just gonna doublepost

To bring this back on topic, I'm looking at refinancing in the next 3-6 months to hopefully drop my rate and/or get out of PMI - quick notes, I've done a fair bit of improvement on the property since I purchased it a little over a year ago with 10% down, comparable properties seem to be up about 15% market value in the area since I closed last year, and while I don't recall the precise details offhand, my property tax assessment went up substantially this year as well. How are improvements and potential increase in value uh, valued with regards to refinancing & equity? Is it worth having someone out to actually reappraise the place considering the work done*? As far as lenders are concerned at this stage, is there anything else I should take into consideration besides rate as I'm shopping it around? Anything else I should be aware of generally?
Planning to sit down over lunch to interrogate a friend who's an agent locally and can hopefully walk me through the nuances of the area in particular, but I'd like to have my questions/concerns/etc. prepared beforehand.

*For reference, this was a rental before and wasn't kept up very well - I've since put ~5% of the property value into materials / redoing the bathroom plus a ton of general interior/exterior improvements. That's also not counting ~10k in sewer & gas line replacement that was done at closing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Mr. Powers posted:

I am going to make an offer on a house and remarkably there is nothing awful for me to share with you guys.

yet