Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

TheWevel posted:

This is more of a home selling question:

Where's a good place to keep the proceeds from selling my house? I don't want to buy for at least another year or so (I'm in transition) but I don't want to put that money in just a regular savings account. It's not a lot but it's more than $10k. When I do buy again I would like to be able to pull it out without getting asked a lot of questions from the mortgage people. Any ideas? I was thinking maybe a mutual fund, something relatively low risk but with a better return than a savings account?

How much are you willing to lose chasing gains? CDs would give you a slightly higher risk-free return. Some kind of high-grade bond fund would probably be up next, slightly higher returns for slightly higher risks. A stock index fund would have potentially very big gains (the S&P 500 was up 11% for 2014 and nearly 30% for 2013)... but you could also get annihilated (47% drop in 2008).

It should be easy to answer any questions from the mortgage people - just sell the funds and give them some brokerage statements. I gave them three months of statements and they were happy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Sound_man posted:

I got my home inspection done today, everything looks ok. The hot and cold water are switched in the master tub but that it not too big of a deal.

I hung out in the house during the inspection and it became clear to me the previous owners had smoked in there. Any tips or tricks for getting that smell out? We are already under contract is there anything I can ask for to help with that?

Bring it up as a point of inspection. You're not limited to things that the inspector finds or writes in the report.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Adiabatic posted:

Houses are horrible investment vehicles.
I remember one writer making the point that it would be hard, in fact, to design an investment vehicle worse than housing.

1 - Homes are non-portable and non-fungible. Even houses built on the same floorplan are not interchangeable, and you'll have a hell of a time moving your house with you when you move. Forget about a condo.
2 - They generate no dividends. In fact, they generate negative dividends, because you have to pay taxes on them every year you hold, and often there are HOAs attached. You might be able to make a few bucks with AirBNB or something, but there's no guarantee and that comes with its own headaches.
3 - Aside from generating negative dividends, they require upkeep.
4 - It's very hard to diversify. Even if you're in the stock-picking game, you can generally pick a few stocks and spread the risk around. Very few people can afford to buy multiple houses.
5 - Their high value means that homes are almost always leveraged investments. You can totally lose more than you put in. Forget about kissing your down payment goodbye; if things go really bad you may have to bring money to the closing table just to get out. You know what's worse than "throwing away money" on rent? Throwing away money on a personal loan to pay off the loss on a house you don't even own anymore.
6 - The transaction costs are enormous.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Elephanthead posted:

A government tax subsidized low long term fixed rate leveraged investment is not a bad thing. This writer obviously went to a state school and majored in journalism. Leverage is how you get 5000% gains (and loses).

That's true, but the tax subsidy does you no good if your interest doesn't take you over the standard deduction, and the popularity of ARMs shows how bad people can be about locking in that fixed rate thing. I think (like leverage in general) this point's less of an absolute drawback and more of a case where people take on a lot more risk than they really understand.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

smackfu posted:

My wife refinanced her condo a couple of years ago, before we married. I was adding it into Quicken and ran into something weird: the monthly payment we make, and that's on the GFE I dug out of our files, doesn't match what online payment calculators say it should be. It's off by $0.07 per month.

Is there something I'm missing that goes into the calculation besides initial loan amount, term, and interest rate? Obviously not a big deal, but I really expect it to be correct to the penny.

Seven cents? It's probably the compounding period. If your bank calculates interest (say) daily and applies it monthly, it's going to be very slightly different than if they do both monthly, or something like that.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Leperflesh posted:

Also, I think if you sell the house for a profit and don't use that money to buy another house, you'd have to pay long-term capital gains taxes on the money, right?

If it's your primary residence, you can keep up to $250,000 ($500,000 if you're married) tax-free, regardless of whether you buy a new home or not. Above that, or for second homes or investment property, yes.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

swenblack posted:

Yeah, the per capita income of Detroit is around $15k/year. It just doesn't pass the sanity test.

Claims Journal says ~$6000 "in some neighborhoods". The city government reports 545 carjackings and over 10,000 stolen vehicles for 2014, or a bit over 1.4 stolen vehicles for every 100 people (about seven times the national average). If those are clustered in certain zip codes, I could totally see insurance rates going through the roof for people unlucky enough to live there.

For the whole city, though, no, that's just silly.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Pryor on Fire posted:

Any amusing horror stories from the final walkthrough or something falling apart at closing? ENTERTAIN ME HOUSING THREAD

From a WSJ story earlier this year:

Joan Levinson posted:

I go to close on a $3.25 million house in Paradise Valley and I am about to do the last walk-through with the seller. I get there first, walk in…and I smell [something] damp.

A pipe in the master bathroom upstairs had broken and there is about a foot of water in the bathroom and the bedroom carpet is all wet. Downstairs in the laundry room, part of the ceiling looks like it’s pregnant: The plaster is hanging down about 18 inches. I’m ready to have a heart attack. The buyer is on the way to the house, in his own car.

After about 20 minutes of hyperventilating, I call the buyer and say, “Let me tell you what’s happening. It’s not great. But you’ll be happy it’s happening this week instead of next week because it’s not your house yet.”

It took me at least a month to fix the house with a restoration company, but it closed and the buyer got some money to redecorate. I can’t believe I got that closed.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

VendaGoat posted:

Why would you express this temptation to the universe at large?

Presumably, if something goes wrong enough he can escape the decision that got him here to begin with.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Ghostnuke posted:

what the hell? where do you even get a pool of mercury

Here's a first-hand account of a spill like that: https://www.jefftk.com/p/mercury-spill

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Andy Dufresne posted:

In most cases when a realtor represents both parties ("dual agency") they don't actually lower the commission, they just take the whole 6%, but your case as a buyer it wouldn't really matter. Maybe since you can assume the realtor is giving her boyfriend a discount you can negotiate lower.

If you're confident dealing with the "dual agency" situation you're foolish not to ask for a 1.5-2% buyer's rebate (provided that your state allows this). The agent still walks away with more money, and you walk away with some extra cash in hand to make that first trip to the hardware store.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Motronic posted:

Along with that day's batch of mail were THREE different notices from scammers telling me I basically need to pay right around what they said to get a copy of the deed.

loving public records scammers. My county is pretty awesome.

Did they include business reply envelopes? I always made sure to send them a random stuffing of other junk mail - grocery fliers, shreddings from other scammers, and stuff like that. They may or may not have gotten a couple shakes of glitter depending on what my mood was like that day.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Koivunen posted:

Making 55-65k and wanting a 250k house is completely unrealistic. Even if you were making 100k, a 250k house should be at the very top of your budget, and even then it’s stretching it if you want to save money.

The first part of this assessment seems pretty true, but the second seems... really conservative. Even a $250K mortgage at 5% is a payment of $1342, vs. a monthly take-home of $5500-6300 (depending on state and local taxes). You have room there to max your 401K and IRA, sock away a couple hundred bucks a month for eventual maintenance and repairs, and still be spending comfortably under 25%-of-take-home on your mortgage.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Koivunen posted:

I get that not everyone likes to save as much as we do, but it just seems crazy to me to spend so much of your income on a mortgage. A lot more happens in life than house related stuff.

That's the thing, though, even considering that, your numbers are really low; they're way past 'oh, you can spend paycheck to paycheck if you want, but we like to save a few hundred dollars a month'. Counting 401k and IRA, a modestly frugal single person (or even a couple) making $100K and carrying a $200K-250K mortgage can save a couple thousand dollars a month without much heartache. Obviously the numbers get tighter if you're raising two kids with PTA donations, soccer dues, and all that.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Dumb Lowtax posted:

Ah good, thanks

edit: Holy poo poo, how did you do that to the end of the URL? I never knew that trick!!
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3131399&pagenumber=754#lastpost%23:~:text=house

The highlighting is a Chrome-specific feature, not universal yet, so be aware that not everyone will be able to see what's going on.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Hadlock posted:

I forget but I think Forbes website is just a blog aggregator, with very little direct connection with Forbes print magazine, they split and went seperate ways a decade ago? Maybe they made up and got back together, but long story short, most articles on Forbes should be taken with a grain of salt

Forbes.com is both pieces at once. If you see "Forbes Staff" next to an article, it's from the magazine side, and you should be able to trust it about as much as you've been able to trust Forbes for the past 20-something years (which is to say, "only so much" - they started going to poo poo around the time that Steve Forbes decided he would make a good President and haven't really recovered). If it says "Contributor" or "Senior Contributor" it's worth exactly what you paid to read it, which is to say nothing but your time, and it probably has an agenda of some kind (particularly transparent where Bitcoin is concerned; that community has flocked to the thin veneer of credibility). If it says "Paid Program" it's even more of a shill than usual Forbes content.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Nice and hot piss posted:

How often is it that someone puts down like, 5% of earnest money only to not get their mortgage approved? I mean losing 20 grand plus because some underwriter didn't like how much you made the last year and declines your loan would suck lol

That would fall under your financing contingency; you'd get it back (unless you waived it, which would be... dumb).

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

ntan1 posted:

3%, no contingency.

I think the proper syntax is "No Contingencies, 3% only, Final Offer."

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

Hilariously dumb stupid question,

What's the verdict with buying a home in Miami or New Orleans especially when it comes to flooding, hurricanes including Climate Change? What I want to know, is my Condo or High Rise Apartment going to be swallowed by the ocean in a decade? Any recommended reading on this subject is appreciated but for now I'm just browsing properties that aren't right next to the ocean or canals.

Christopher Flavelle has done some pretty interesting reporting on that, especially around Miami: cities are going to have problems that go far beyond the flood maps.

Miami Will Be Underwater Soon. Its Drinking Water Could Go First posted:

Barring a stupendous reversal in greenhouse gas emissions, the rising Atlantic will cover much of Miami by the end of this century. The economic effects will be devastating: Zillow Inc. estimates that six feet of sea-level rise would put a quarter of Miami’s homes underwater, rendering $200 billion of real estate worthless. But global warming poses a more immediate danger: The permeability that makes the aquifer so easily accessible also makes it vulnerable. “It’s very easy to contaminate our aquifer,” says Rachel Silverstein, executive director of Miami Waterkeeper, a local environmental protection group. And the consequences could be sweeping. “Drinking water supply is always an existential question.”

County officials agree with her. “The minute the world thinks your water supply is in danger, you’ve got a problem,” says James Murley, chief resilience officer for Miami-Dade, although he adds that the county’s water system remains “one of the best” in the U.S. The questions hanging over Miami and the rest of Southeast Florida are how long it can keep its water safe, and at what cost. As the region struggles with more visible climate problems, including increasingly frequent flooding and this summer’s toxic algae blooms, the risks to the aquifer grow, and they’re all the more insidious for being out of sight. If Miami-Dade can’t protect its water supply, whether it can handle the other manifestations of climate change won’t matter.

The Nightmare Scenario for Florida’s Coastal Homeowners: Demand and financing could collapse before the sea consumes a single house. posted:

On a predictably gorgeous South Florida afternoon, Coral Gables Mayor Jim Cason sat in his office overlooking the white-linen restaurants of this affluent seaside community and wondered when climate change would bring it all to an end. He figured it would involve a boat.

When Cason first started worrying about sea-level rise, he asked his staff to count not just how much coastline the city had (47 miles) or value of the property along that coast ($3.5 billion). He also told them to find out how many boats dock inland from the bridges that span the city’s canals (302). What matters, he guessed, will be the first time a mast fails to clear the bottom of one of those bridges because the water level had risen too far.

“These boats are going to be the canary in the mine,” said Cason, who became mayor in 2011 after retiring from the U.S. foreign service. “When the boats can’t go out, the property values go down.”

If property values start to fall, Cason said, banks could stop writing 30-year mortgages for coastal homes, shrinking the pool of able buyers and sending prices lower still. Those properties make up a quarter of the city’s tax base; if that revenue fell, the city would struggle to provide the services that make it such a desirable place to live, causing more sales and another drop in revenue.

And all of that could happen before the rising sea consumes a single home.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

gvibes posted:

I know the dual rep is a bad idea, but maybe I don't quite understand what you are proposing. A listing will state that it has a 2.5-3% buyer's agent fee, right? In this case, the buyer has no agent, so nobody on the buyer's side receives that fee. What does your attorney do? Is an offer just made with a statement that there is no buyer's agent and reflecting an equivalent reduction in price? Or does the attorney in effect serve as the agent and receives the agent fee instead (for transfer to the buyer)?

This probably varies by state and custom, but the contracts I've seen specify a total agent fee (4-6% depending on place, value, etc) to the seller's agent, who then handles/offers a split to the buyer's agent. Most agents will split it 50-50 but that's ultimately between them (and the buyer, potentially).

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

stellers bae posted:

Is it just me or is someone paying half your 20% down payment and then expecting half the proceeds in the future actually kind of a bad deal?

There's nothing "kind of" about it.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

eddiewalker posted:

My real title agent gave me permission to gently caress with the fake scammer title agent.

The stranger is real concerned that they haven’t seen my $150,000 wire and angry that didn’t keep the receipt. I’m not sure where to go from here.

Say you went back to the bank and they gave you a replacement receipt. Scrawl a handwritten receipt signed Leonard J. Crabs, Esq. Include misspellings and transpose two numbers in the wire transfer number.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Glumwheels posted:

So still no earnest money at the end of the day. Apparently, the buyers were told to submit a cashiers check or wire transfer and instead uploaded a personal check into the title company’s app or whatever. So the title company and the buyer hosed up, I told my agent we expect to be compensated for this gently caress up by someone since we’re a day past the due date now.

I don't think you addressed this when it came up the first time - are those funds supposed to be released directly to you, or held in escrow until closing? You did say

Glumwheels posted:

In WA because the market is ridiculous, buyers typically provide 5-6% in earnest money immediately once under contract. Within 2 days after the contract is signed.

but that's very different from you getting to pocket it in that timeframe. What happens if you spend it and the deal falls through? If it's going to be held in escrow until closing... it really doesn't change anything, does it? It'll clear by then.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Glumwheels posted:

I told our agent I want money back from the title company or whoever but at this point we can’t walk or take a backup offer. We didn’t get many offers and it’s been over a week now. If we go back on the market it will be a hot mess and we’d probably get even less. I just want to be done and out of this house now but I want my drat money,

I understand this is stressful and all, but I think ultimately the bolded part is your bottom line. If you didn't get many offers even in your red-hot seller's market... it's not that hot for you. What's your interest rate on the earnest money you paid out? At (for example) 3% nominal mortgage rate, a whole month's interest on $30,000 is... $75. Even at 10% personal-loan interest levels, a week's delay isn't going to add up to much. Complain all you want and see if the title company will give you something to shut you up, but I think your damages are pretty small.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

CellBlock posted:

Most of that "mixed stream recycling" is actually just shipped overseas to be sorted somewhere else. (It used to mostly go to China, but I believe they've stopped taking our poo poo and so it might be going elsewhere in SE Asia now.)

Seattle does its sorting locally! The city's official numbers say that about a third of recycling (mostly paper, some cardboard) goes overseas. Of course, how much you can trust them on that is... dicey; there was a scandal a few years back where one of the "local recyclers" was just quietly most of their less-profitable stuff out the back door. Domestic recycling infrastructure has gotten a lot better since China started tightening up.

e: whoops, lost track of which thread this was. But it's still true and I'm kind of proud of the city for doing it 'a little bit right'.

Cassius Belli fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Aug 11, 2021

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Dik Hz posted:

It's funnier to imagine that it's not permitted, and that's why it got built so fast.

The funniest part would be if the broker didn't get the property lines surveyed and recorded exactly right, given the way they appear to zero right up to the other house. Imagine what would happen if they accidentally sold off a foot or two in.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited
The biggest drawback to buying this house is that you become legally obligated to host D&D nights for your group, if you have one (and let's face it, if you buy this house you probably do).

https://www.redfin.com/MI/Rochester/2009-Victoria-Hill-Dr-48306/home/99127390

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

actionjackson posted:

when you say giant houses are loving cheap, cheap where exactly? The house that was linked to was over two million dollars

Here are a few suggestions:
https://www.redfin.com/CA/Bakersfield/6212-De-La-Guerra-Ter-93306/home/69886895
https://www.redfin.com/CA/Bakersfield/1009-Halterio-Ct-93309/home/69872256
https://www.redfin.com/CA/Bakersfield/1100-Calle-Extrano-93309/home/60503336

Of course, having grown up in Bakersfield, the most appropriate response to "I grew up in Bakersfield" is "I'm sorry", so...

https://www.redfin.com/OH/Dayton/6960-Mad-River-Rd-45459/home/75958035
https://www.redfin.com/GA/Athens/105-Lavista-Pl-30605/home/124457193
https://www.redfin.com/FL/Lakeland/1314-Alameda-Dr-S-33805/home/46100316
https://www.redfin.com/FL/Lakeland/838-Woodward-St-33803/home/46245807

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

actionjackson posted:

the home in the first link is 780 thousand dollars

It is also $164/sqft, and one of the houses (the one in Dayton) is down at $110, on a 2.7-acre chunk of land.

Too expensive? How about 4,902 sqft at $85/sqft and probably some negotiation room from there?

Cassius Belli fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Dec 5, 2021

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited
e: nevermind

Here, have a derail bird

Cassius Belli fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Dec 5, 2021

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

OldSenileGuy posted:

Does the mortgage from Navy Federal really truly have no PMI? Or do they just advertise it as no PMI but really they hide it somewhere else like a lender-paid PMI where they just jack up your interest rate to cover the cost?

In the past, Navy Federal has offered "15% down, no PMI" loans for rates competitive with anyone else's "20% down conventional", but I don't think that program has been active for a few years at least. At "5%-down or lower" the insurance is going to be baked into the rate, and I'm pretty sure a fairly high risk premium for OP as well.

Aexo posted:

They explicitly say no PMI. I assume it's baked into the interest rate. I asked for info about a $350K 30yr mortgage (This is so I know what the top end would be, but can guesstimate what a lower price would cost.) and this is what they ballparked me, didn't even ask my credit rating or income.

Conventional Fixed Rate
5% down 4.625% rate
332,500 TLV, after $17,500 down
$1710/mo

Homebyers choice
- 0% down 4.875% + 1.75% funding fee of loan amount ($6125), can be rolled into loan but I said I could probably pay that
350000 TLV
$1852/mo

- 3% down 4.750% no 1.75% funding fee
10500 down
1770/mo

All loans:
2-4% closing costs
Does not include tax or insurance

In my head if I'm already payin nearly 6200 for the funding fee I may as well just scrape together the 3% down.

Motronic posted:

Those are all awful rates/fees and greatly exceed what you'd pay from a traditional lender with PMI. Assuming you have good credit.

Navy Federal has always treated me right, and I tell everyone that they're my first stop for shopping around on mortgages. In this market, though, I will tell you, Aexo, those are "please don't make us do this" rates. Compare those rates to the "well-qualified buyer" rates they advertise, and realize they are quoting you much higher numbers because they they think you are (relatively) likely to founder and make them foreclose. If they didn't, your rates would be somewhere between 4.125% for the 5% conventional to 4.5% for the Homebuyer's Choice, and pretty near 3% if you were able to scratch up 20%.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Pollyanna posted:

How come you only need to stay in a house for at least 3-5 years before you can come out on top of fees and such? Don’t you have to pay off your mortgage before you can at least get the full value of the house back? Or is my math all hosed up?

When you sell the house, you pay the bank the balance on your mortgage and pocket the difference. Around 3-5 years in, assuming the value of the house stays even, you've 'saved up' enough equity to offset the transaction fees.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Pollyanna posted:

Found a cool basement.

Hey, sometimes you pay a lot more money to have rocks intruding into your house like that.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Residency Evil posted:

https://www.redfin.com/CO/Denver/2787-S-Langley-Ct-80210/home/34167457

This house went up/down within a day and is listed “for comps only.”

I’m curious: what does that mean?

It was sold as a "pocket listing" before it ever hit MLS; it's now being listed after the fact so the pricing is public and other houses in the area can use it as a comp in appraisals.
(https://smartmlshelp.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360004330911-Comp-Only-listings)

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Motronic posted:

You need to have a hell of a mortgage and/or a hell of a lot to itemize since the standard deduction is now well over $12k.

SALT can bring the minimum interest for deduction down quite a bit, though. Presumably at the very least mortgage-holders have property taxes to pay; the mortgage interest just has to take you over the top.

Cassius Belli fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Jul 14, 2022

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Motronic posted:

Also include them freaking out about things like vanguard old school mutual fund accounts only cutting statements quarterly. Which has been a thing since the 1970s.

Vanguard has at least figured out how to ease their minds and will let you request a custom "on demand" statement for any date or time range you'd like, within the last two years. It does take up to 24 hours to process for some reason.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

SpartanIvy posted:

We put a low offer on a home after it's been on the market for 60+ days and we're now told there's another offer and to make our highest offer.

:thunk:

Depending on how badly I wanted the house vs how much I wanted to signal that I wasn't putting up with that kind of bullshit, I would be tempted to add $5 and tell them I was looking at another house all offers would be void at 17:00.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

The obvious remedy, if the owner doesn't want to swap lots, is to demolish and remove the house, at the cost of whomever is responsible for the fuckup.

And to restore the land underneath to its original condition.
Shades of tree law go here, I hope.