Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

therobit posted:

Yeah, the built in childcare and the ability to keep an eye on the in laws were most of the appeal. I thought I could handle the level of general frustration that my in laws can cause me, and it took a family crisis for them to show how amazingly hosed up they can make things. I agree that in healthier families or families that are hosed up but committed to being miserable together it can work splendidly, and some cultures multi-generational living is the norm.

The thing about built-in childcare is that when you pay for child care you can say, "No, don't hit them, no, don't put cereal in their bottles, no, don't punish them for toileting mistakes." With family? They can say "I raised you, and you turned out fine," and ignore everything you say about how you want your children to be raised.

I loved my parents a lot, and looking back on my childhood, I wouldn't have wanted them to raise my babies even if they'd wanted to. (They, wisely, said before we even had children that they'd raised their share and they were done.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

The Third Man posted:

Is there such a thing as a realtor/broker that operates at a broader scale, or are we better-off narrowing our search to a few smaller areas and trying to work with multiple agents?
Narrow your search. The useful skill realtors offer is their knowledge of an area, of the neighborhoods, and of their fellow realtors. On our latest (I devoutly hope last) house, the realtor told us that a house wasn't selling because it had post-and-pier foundations, which were dangerous in earthquakes. She didn't say "don't buy this", she said "Here's information you need." She was familiar with the climate of the area, and could tell us which homes were likely to be uncomfortable because of it. We were looking throughout Mendocino County in California, and she wasn't interested in showing houses inland because she was only familiar with the coast. Because she'd been doing business here a long time, she'd represented the house the last time it sold, and could tell us what renovations the new owner had done. When there was a hitch getting fire insurance, she gave me a list of local agents who were familiar with selling fire insurance in the area.

If we'd been dealing with a pan-Mendocino County realtor, that's 3800 sq. miles of radically different terrains and climates and history. Somebody who knew the best places to live in Ukiah (inland, relatively flat, hot) wouldn't have a clue about the best places to live in Fort Bragg (rolling hills, seacoast, lots of fog).

A good realtor -- there are lots of bad ones -- can tell you what the trends are in the market. For my previous house, the realtor said things like ,"That one's not going to sell at nearly the asking price; they deliberately underpriced so it will go into a bidding war," and "Do you see all the 8s and 6s in the sales price? That means they're trying to attract Asian-culture buyers." Inside knowledge, if you can get it, is key.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

1st_Panzer_Div. posted:

My knowledge is west coast, so I'll only give thoughts on that area:
Seattle - cools off a bit at most. Tacoma/Everett could see a modest price drop.
SF - cools off a bit at most. San X's nearby also see at most a modest price drop.
PDX - cools off with small chance of modest price drop. Vancouver/outside sees a price drop, risk of moderate drop.
Sacramento - moderate to worse price drop
LA - cooling to slight price drop
San Diego - slight price drop to modest.

Necro-post: What's the quantitative difference between "a bit", modest, moderate, and slight?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Pollyanna posted:

https://www.compass.com/listing/64-potter-road-waltham-ma-02453/1029630646395688865/?origin=listing_page&origin_type=copy_url

Kitchen is a tad questionable, I really don’t want to deal with a jacuzzi tub next to a shower stall, and that pole in the basement annoys the hell out of me, but the place looks decent enough otherwise. It performs well in location and size, at least. The poo poo I don’t like can always be changed. Is there anything obvious I’m missing that would imply this is a bad (i.e. completely unworkable over time) option?

The kitchen is dated, but looks workable. There are a couple of things that are going to be annoyances. The only path into and out of the back yard goes through the kitchen. If you have children, frequently entertain, or have dogs, that means dirt being tracked into the kitchen, as well as the cook constantly being interrupted by people walking through -- maybe even through the work triangle, although I can't spot a refrigerator. The long grey-green room, whatever it is, has a big chunk of space that has to be left free for people to walk into and out of the doors leading off it. That makes the space even narrower than it looks in the picture. Because of the narrowness, it's going to be awkward finding a furniture layout that looks good and functions well. If it's the master bedroom, this may not matter as much.

Is there a covered path from the garage to the kitchen, or do you need to carry the groceries out into the slush, up into the living room, through the house, repeat?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Pollyanna posted:

Long green room is probably the master, yeah. I wonder if they consider the finished part of the basement to be a BR. Not enough info on the site to be sure.

Good call on the kitchen, I actually don’t know.
It varies from state to state what you can legally call a bedroom. I am sitting right here in the largest room on the second floor. It is, according to the house listing and the taxman, not a bedroom. My best guess is that it's the lack of a closet.

In my state, a basement bedroom is only legal if you can exit the room through at least one of the windows. If there's only one emergency exit from a room, it isn't a bedroom.

e: I haven't lived in Massachusetts for 30 years. When I did, traffic through Framingham to 495 or 95/128 was pretty nasty at rush hour, even for Massachusetts at that time. If you can spare the time, drive from any suburb in Framingham to where you work during rush hour. If you work at home, less of a problem.

edit edit: I note that the heating is electric baseboard and oil. Verify just how much of the heating is electric baseboard, because that can wind up very spendy very fast.

Arsenic Lupin fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Apr 24, 2022

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

QuarkJets posted:

fwiw you should hire an inspector even if you don't have an inspection contingency

The few I spoke to during last summer, when literally no one was submitting offers with contingencies, were still slammed with requests
Yeah, when I bought my house last summer, I paid for inspection, well inspection, septic inspection, and some others I can't call to mind. The house was going open to bids at a certain date, and I needed to know whether to bid.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Pollyanna posted:

What happens when you buy a house at a high price, its value drops to a very low price, and you then sell for less than the remaining money on your mortgage?

For example, you buy a condo at 500k, then two years later all hell breaks loose and housing prices drop so much that your condo is now worth $200k. You’re now on the hook for continuing to pay for that remaining ~$250k, so you decide gently caress it and sell to go rent somewhere else. You get ~$200k in exchange for the condo, and try to pay off your mortgage with that. But that’s not enough money - you need another $50k to satisfy the lender.

Is that accurate? Are you on the hook for that $50k?
Yup. Had to do it once. Not fun.

e: You can short sale only if the bank agrees to it. If they decide they'll make more money that way, they'll go straight to foreclosure.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Pollyanna posted:

I know I said I wouldn’t post here until I went through that Fannie Mae course, but anything I’m missing in this house?

https://www.compass.com/listing/65-mayall-road-waltham-ma-02453/1033845425472542129
What's that odd little door down and to the right of the kitchen door? Basement access? Is there any internal access to the basement?

I can't tell for sure, but it looks like a long-ish hike from the parking area to the kitchen entrance, with a steps along the way. No fun in a snowstorm/ice storm.

I wonder about the smoke stains on the fireplace. Badly designed for airflow? Unswept chimney? Other?

I don't see a single place you can cram a second bathroom into. That could mean it's 3br/1 bath for keepsies, and that's going to be hard to sell in the future as well as now. Up until they put me into a retirement home, I never want to live in a single-bathroom house again.

e: TacoHavoc is absolutely right about the staircase. We discovered we couldn't get any of our 6' bookcases up our staircase, nor a queen-sized "foundation" (box spring equivalent.) I don't know how you measure that, but at least walk up the stair imagining you have a 6' object in your hands and ask yourself if it could make the turn around the corner.

Arsenic Lupin fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Apr 27, 2022

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

I wouldn't at all be surprised if that out-jutting part of the living room was a converted porch.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

I bought a house at double-digit interest rates (I think 13%?) in the mid-to-late 1980s. The housing market in Massachusetts was red-hot at the time, and if you didn't buy, even at 13%, you were never going to get to buy.

The minicomputer industry tanked (rip DEC, Pr1me, Data General, ...), there was a defense industry cut-back that I don't remember the causes of, and housing prices tanked. Most recently-bought houses were suddenly very underwater. Even though there was a lot of pent-up demand, there wasn't enough to maintain housing prices at their previous level.

It can absolutely happen again.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

raggedphoto posted:

I started filtering Redfin to show homes that had been on the market for more than 30 days and while most were total crap/overpriced there were some hidden gems including the house we are closing on.

Tell us about your hidden gem and why it was hidden!

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

That sounds wonderful.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

DaveSauce posted:

Looks like an attempt at sealing some air leaks.

You know, instead of something complicated like weatherstripping.

Yeah, that was my guess, too.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Somebody needs to set up an AuctionSniper for real estate. (My son's suggestion, at supper.)

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Motronic posted:

Your real estate agent should be the person you go to for local advice on very local market things like this. If they don't have a good answer with supporting examples fire them and get a better one. They need to do something to earn their outsized commission.
Yip. We told our realtor "As of now, it's not our house, it's the buyer's." Then they oversaw the painting, reflooring, and so on, and picked the colors. The woman in the firm spends a lot of time visiting houses for sale and noting which ones get the most visitors and bids, then steals ideas, so the colors were what's currently hot. She could give you an essay on which of 95 greys is currently doing the best business.

Because we let them do the driving, we both made out like bandits. However, we'd lived in the house for 20 years without doing any updates, so the house needed painting, floor refinishing, the works. In this market, if the house is in clean condition, that may be all you need. Ask the realtor.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Chunjee posted:

I'm trying to figure out if a manufactured/mobile home would be a good option for me. Family size needs something bigger than our condo. I don't see a way to get more sq ft without taking out an even bigger 30yr loan which I want out of. I can pay 90-100% of the cost (lets say 150k) with the proceeds of selling the condo. I have no doubt prices will continue to rise short-term but I don't like the risk plus the demand to further stretch my finances to qualify for the 380k+ it would take.
I guess the question is does a manufactured home retain any value against inflation?
On somebody else's land (a mobile home park) or your own? In a mobile home park, they absolutely depreciate.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Chunjee posted:

I would probably be fine with either of them but the rest of the family wasn't feeling it and or the neighborhood. We saw a grandma staring at us wide-eyed and slack-jawed; later a "'NO SOLICITING WE ARE TOO BROKE TO BUY ANYTHING" sign which sorta summed up the vibe there.
One thing I didn't like was the park fees were both around $900+/month so I have a hard time understanding how this is a cheaper option in the long run.
Park owners are landlords and hike up the rent regularly. And because the mobile home is 'yours' they aren't even on the hook for repairs. All they have to do is mow the lawn and cash the checks.

A mobile home in a mobile home park is a speedily-depreciating asset. Don't buy it.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

If I didn't have a realtor, I'd have to negotiate directly with the buyers or sellers, and I suck at negotiation. The realtor keeps me at arms' length from the other party, and my realtor in particular told me how to restyle the house to make maximum money.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Upgrade posted:

There are other professions who can be paid flat fees (stagers, real estate lawyers) to fill these needs without adding 5-6% to transactions.

True.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Inner Light posted:

No shade on the beach house option, but I’ve often wondered, how is your ownership going to compare to airbnbing instead? Think you’ll save over the long haul?
A couple of my son's friends have family who own vacation cabins. They reserve certain weeks for the family, then rent out the cabin for the remaining weeks. (Through an agency.) I think it's comfortably break-even, but of course you have to take the risk that guests will damage the place. It's a way of keeping a family cabin in the family.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Alarbus posted:

Also, that's harder to get into now since the pandemic drove people to work from "home" at the beach instead of a studio in NYC, house prices are up double or triple.
Yip. Our neighbors, who have lived in their house > 30 years, say nobody's ever lived in our house in that time. It was obviously built as a single-family house, but it's been vacation property ever since. Much-beloved vacation property, but not a house.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

BonoMan posted:

First offer officially submitted. Feeling like I'm going to barf.
On the way to the closing on our first house, we had to stop the car so my husband could barf. Then he got back in and we drove off and signed.

Hang in there. This is a big emotional roller coaster.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Once you add your wife's commute to her hours at work, how much time will you be spending together in your new house?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

The State of California realty association has banned people from writing love letters about houses, because they said that it gives too many opportunities for the seller to discriminate against buyers for illegal reasons. I can't see that they're wrong. The federal Fair Housing Act absolutely applies to private home sales.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

What I said, quite specifically, is that the California governing board of Realtors has told its members not to send or consider love letters, on the grounds that this can easily lead to prohibited discrimination. Like, for instance, picking the couple with White-sounding names.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

My understanding is that knob and tube is just fine if you don't disturb it. Basically, don't wake the dragon up, ever. Do not connect new wiring to it, do not blow in insulation, leave it the hell alone.

My house has some knob and tube and the insurer didn't care.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

CongoJack posted:

My friends recently bought a very old house that was a rental. It appears to have all the problems you might expect including ... a shower drain that just drains beneath the house.

Holy poo poo, that must be fifty shades of illegal.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

https://twitter.com/TheRealWBTC/status/1526572377756213248

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Involuntary Sparkle posted:

If anyone else wants to save it on Redfin to see what it sells for: https://www.redfin.com/CA/San-Francisco/200-Judson-Ave-94112/home/1976022
Huh. I went to the website https://t.co/x54bItmb76 and it turns out it's my former realtor! (Good egg.) There's a good video on the site explaining the bidding process, and the most interesting bit is how elaborate it is. You have to show up with proof that you or your contractor has experience rehabbing disaster houses, proof that you have the funding, and a couple of other things I forget. Then you're allowed to bid in the auction. He explains that the various agencies involved [paraphrase] don't want the house to fall back into its previous situation, and need proof that the new buyers will actually fix it. Also apparently a joist is cut through in the basement...

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

I'd add that in this contracting environment you are not going to be able to get major repairs scheduled, far less done, before closing.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Douchebag posted:

Half hour later I learned a whole lot about how things are going. Lots of management changes, lack of pressure or follow ups with the actual developer, lack of pressure on the town to approve the site etc. She was basically telling me without telling me, to get out. If we stick with it we probably won’t sniff closing until late this year or early 2023. If we bail we get a full refund (over $18K).

But, we got in at a great price point and would be sacrificing tens of thousands if we started over based on the current market prices. We can afford it but we are sitting on a $342K house that’s already had 3 price increases on the base price so we’d be moving in with equity. I don’t know what to do, this hit us like a brick today and our heads are spinning.

If you got in at a great price point on a shitshow, it's still a shitshow. You need somebody somewhat competent supervising the build. (I dream, I dream.) If the town hasn't even approved the site, you're probably longer than 2 years out, because that plus running water and sewer out takes time.

I thought of a better way of putting it. If the town hasn't approved the site, nobody has any idea, at all, how long it is until move-in. A whole bunch of stuff can't even start until the site is approved.

Arsenic Lupin fucked around with this message at 04:19 on May 19, 2022

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

net work error posted:

Hey all, I'm working on being a first time buyer and was going to start reaching out to buying agents for help with a purchase. Going through the thread and some other sites I have a general idea on what questions I should ask when interviewing the ones I've found but I wanted to know if there was any information that I may not necessarily need to provide or keep to myself as part of the search? As a first time buyer I'm trying to double check everything because I certainly don't know much!
Based on my experience, "How long have you lived in this area?" I've had a couple of realtors who'd grown up in the area they were selling in, or at least lived there for decades, and boy howdy did they know a lot about neighborhoods. "I've seen this house on the market a couple of times, the last buyer had to replace the entire well" is valuable information.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

BaseballPCHiker posted:

In peoples experience here how long did wired funds take to hit your account?

Is this a thing I need to keep a constant eye on? Once it hits the account is it available right away? I've got a roughly 36 hour period between closings and need the funds for the down payment on my next place.
IIRC a day. But ask your bank, right now.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Pollyanna posted:

Yeah, I’m thinking of just skipping out until another year. I’ve clearly got a lot of learning to do, and I’m not in dire need of a house or anything, so I’m willing to wait until the right one comes along.

Speaking of, I found this, and I’m trying to figure out what’s wrong with it.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/525-Norfolk-St-525-Mattapan-MA-02126/2063183146_zpid/

Listed twice, one as a condo, the other as a house (assuredly townhome). One of two units. New construction (does not mean good construction). No HOA, walking distance to public transport. Not sold in the construction or layout, but I’m no architect, so maybe it’s just not to my taste. Not really any good comps in the area. Don’t know how to vet the builder or seller, so I don’t know if this is a trustworthy option or not.

It looks decent, not perfect but reasonable. I could make the commute work, maybe. Is there anything wrong with it that I’m not picking up on?

You are paying to share a wall in a new-built home with a stranger. I would not be confident that any money had been spent on sound insulation.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

nwin posted:

Walk thru was fine. It was swept and relatively empty but not clean by my standards. One bottle of listerine left behind, a shower curtain, and the fridge needs cleaned.
That's pretty much what "broom clean" means. One bottle of listerine is neither here nor there, and a shower curtain isn't even garbage; it's something you might reasonably want. Hiring professional cleaners is a great idea.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

cats posted:

My POs left one of those tiny bottles of vodka with a sticker that said something like "in case of emergency, mix with coffee." Gave me a chuckle.
My PO left a bottle of local chardonnay, which I thought was a very kind thing to do.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Dik Hz posted:

Man, would have been nice if they at least trimmed the bushes.

:golfclap:

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Elephanthead posted:

I find the most important thing in finding a house is talking to the adjacent neighbors before making an offer to see how insane they are.

Put this in the offer as a contingency.

In my last house, I solved this problem by never talking to the neighbors.

In my current house, the neighbor calls me to warn me about storms and brings over fresh-baked banana bread. :kimchi:

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

1st_Panzer_Div, I looked at a map on FRED, and holy cow is the Midwest hollowed-out. https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/ATNHPIUS06045A

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

My home warranty (paid by realtor) is sending me emails telling me to renew. Given that they explicitly didn't cover the two things I was having problems with -- the gas fireplace that heats the house because they don't do fireplaces, and the well pump because they don't do wells -- not remotely tempted, even if I didn't know what a scam home warranties were.