Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Tivac posted:

I'm pretty sure that Desktops doesn't have that problem.

There's some caveats though. It doesn't use Aero except on the first desktop, can't move apps between desktops, has almost zero configuration options & you're limited to 4 desktops max.

It's still better than most virtual desktop apps for windows because at least it isn't just hiding windows & actually spins up new desktop objects to contain things.

Out of curiosity, is there any particular reason for those limitations? At the very least I don't see how it could have saved them any time to limit the number of desktops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

xamphear posted:

If Microsoft really gave a poo poo (they'll make bazillions just selling all the pre-installed OEM copies) they'd offer something extra with a legit purchase that you can't get by pirating it, like the music, movie and game industries are all doing.

I don't disagree, but I'm wondering if you have anything in mind in the way of extras. The game comparison has me imagining cloth maps of Redmond and Bill Gates bobbleheads.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Stanley Pain posted:

Another good question to ask would be why do the majority of people who OC come off as illiterate retards? I mean a lot of the "pro" OCing community folk are not native English speakers so that's forgivable, but the rest of them must be like 13 year olds or something.

My guess is that grownups who want to up performance buy a better processor, or more rarely one that's actually good for overclocking. The 13 year old retards are stuck with what mommy bought and have no option to increase performance other than OCing, which they inevitably gently caress up because 13 year olds suck at careful planning. Then they bitch on the internet 24/7 because they don't have jobs or enough homework, while the non retards keep to themselves or ask for advice somewhere where they won't be responded to by 13 year olds. :chord:

On an unrelated note, who the gently caress bought :negative: and what is it.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Principia posted:

I hope they include every available browser except Opera.

I wonder what would happen if they did that. I mean, they realistically can't get every browser, including unknown homebrew poo poo, so they could plausibly say they just picked the top X browsers, where X just so happened to be one too low to include Opera. :laugh:

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Thermopyle posted:

Like you, I think the VS leads to problems. Unlike you, I prefer these problems to the problems of allowing software developers to continue to write to restricted locations.

In other words, it's not a stupid design decision, it's a good design decision with some bugs.

I'm inclined to agree. The only programs I've encountered problems with are Oblivion and Fallout 3, and considering that both are made by the developers of a game where you fall through the floor so much they wrote it into the story, I suspect these problems aren't Microsoft's fault.

edit: though every so often I need to edit an ini that I know is stored in program files, and every time it takes me like five minutes of confusion before I remember about VS. :saddowns:

Blue Footed Booby fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Sep 24, 2009

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Lord Commissar posted:

I just don't remember which specific programs had the problem. I think Steam had an issue at one point, but it may have been patched by now. The Gasmask had the same problem with Blackberry software.

It seems like an access problem, and 'Run as Administrator' doesn't fix it.

Oblivion will poo poo its pants if you try to run mods if the game is installed in program files and UAC is enabled, or at least it used to. Presumably Morrowind would poo poo even harder. Titan Quest seems to have some odd problems connecting to multiplayer servers if you don't right click and run as admin. Was it any of these?

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

mcsuede posted:

Having issues lately with files saved to desktop not showing up on the desktop. They're there when viewed from explorer. :iiam:

I have this problem randomly, and had it in Vista, too. There's no rhyme or reason to it aside from seeming more common with archives unzipped to the desktops than things saved normally. :iiam: is right because it's really drat weird.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Golbez posted:

Thanks, though I just wanted to find out if I could train Windows Quick Search, which I doubt those programs do...

Launchy absolutely does learn.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

marketingman posted:

Ummm basically 99% of people. The way you can move data across the Office Suite keeping all the formatting is a HUGE thing for me and practically every office worker I know... It's a bit annoying in IT but even so I *still* keep the formatting options as default and instead choose to "paste without formatting" when I need to.

I just wrote a macro in Word that made control+shift+v paste without formatting. Best of all possible worlds.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

The rear end Stooge posted:

My boss just told me a very sad story about going to the Microsoft Store. There is one in our city, and it is in a shopping mall directly across from an Apple Store. The Apple Store was packed, as it usually is, while the Microsoft Store was completely empty except for her and eight employees, who all told her in no uncertain terms that Windows 8.1 Pro will NOT work on the Acer Switch 10 convertible tablet, which is incorrect.

I wanted to reply to this post with that photo of a Microsoft store that's barren except for a shelf with about a hundred copies of FoxPro, but I couldn't find it. :smith:

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Minidust posted:

Haha okay cool. 7zip it is. I saw some stray comment about how that wouldn't work in Windows 8, but the dude was mistaken because I'm using it right now! Thanks.

7zip is great, but for me it sometimes barfs on very large or multipart rars. I don't run into those often, of course, but I've been forced back to winrar at least twice in the past few years.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

The Lord Bude posted:

Does windows storage spaces have a mother?

Yes, but no father.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Fruits of the sea posted:

Get an app that provides an overview of what's taking up space on the drive. WinDirStat is pretty simple and free.

A blank installation of Windows takes up around 50 gb but it can vary depending on updates and what MS apps are installed. I've seen them bloat up to over 100 GB.

E: For the the best performance, install windows and games on the SSD and store everything else on the hard disk. Assuming a 256GB ssd, you'll be pretty limited in how many (recent, huge) games you can have installed.

Running the disk cleanup utility periodically can turn up dozens of gigs of update crap left lying around.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Woebin posted:

Hey cool, same old game I decided to get working a few months ago. I got things up and running in VirtualBox / Win2K, although the sound wasn't functioning properly. I'd test it and tell you specifically what I did and what issues there are, but I haven't run it since then and now the VB instance fails to launch for whatever reason. I swear it was working fine during that one night of revisiting the game though!

Have you enabled Hyper-V or Linux System for Windows since then? Doing either breaks VirtualBox.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Klyith posted:

With a search warrant for your computer, the cops can tell you to type in your password (that's compel in a legal sense, not compel as in beat you 'til you give in). If you don't, you may face the consequences of not following a legal search. Currently those consequences are 18 months in jail for contempt of court, if the judge thinks the prosecutors have a good case against you and that the case would be a "forgone conclusion" if you typed in the passwords to decrypt your CP stash.

Multiple states' supreme courts have ruled that compelling password disclosure violates the fifth amendment. To my knowledge it hasn't gone to SCOTUS but that still means you can't tell people that as blanket advice absent either a specific locality or a federal crime.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Klyith posted:

The usual culprit for insane disk usage after a windows update is windows search. #1 thing to try is this:

Settings -> type "search" in the find box, choose "Windows Search Settings" -> scroll down, pick Advanced Search Indexer Settings -> click Advanced -> click button for delete and Rebuild index

(The other frequent thing is a antivirus full scan, but that should be done by now. Unless this is a laptop that is closed / suspended any time you're not actively using it. In that case, leave it alone -- turned on & plugged in -- for a couple hours.)

I've never had search so this but update leaves dozens of gigs of crap lying around on the regular.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

me your dad posted:

I have no idea how to decipher a routing table but I sure hope my work can't see where I go on my home computer :angel:

If it's making you nervous, you can run RDP from within a VirtualBox virtual machine. You'll have multiple nested taskbars, but you'll know for a fact anything outside the VM isn't visible to your employer.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Fruits of the sea posted:

Yeah, configurable usb numpads are a relatively cheap solution.

If by chance you’re a musician and have a midi controller laying about, they can also be made to work with autohotkey with a little googling and experimentation.

This gave me the mental image of flying a simulated plane with a keytar.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

GreenNight posted:

drat, I've been wondering about this for years. It happens in Excel 365 too. Thank you.

Does double clicking the tabs not work anymore? Why on earth would they make that work differently than the other office apps?

Blue Footed Booby fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Dec 8, 2020

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

MarcusSA posted:

I have the exact same issue which is why I just sleep the computer now.

Nothing I tried told me what was preventing the monitor from sleeping or the screen saver from going on.

It would be nice if it was reliable but I guess not lol.

Same, but I also randomly have it wake up and stay awake. Both problems come and go with no obvious pattern. Windows gonna windows, I guess.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

The Lord Bude posted:

The whole avoiding a Microsoft account thing is 99% spergy neckbeard bullshit. Just use your computer. Log in with a Microsoft account. When you do things the way Microsoft intended instead of going to heroic lengths to break your computer things just work better and you can get on with your life without worrying about nonsense.

No.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Toast Museum posted:

It's not that you can't add context menu items; it's that they're hidden behind an extra click (Show more options at the bottom of the context menu in the screenshot).

My guess is that this is Microsoft's fix for how slow the context menu can be sometimes. The extra click means most people don't see the delay most of the time.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

I bypassed the supported hardware check and am running Windows 11 with the machine I built to play Skyrim. I'm even getting updates. Go for it.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Computer viking posted:

Edge deflector? Microsoft basically changed their "which program is associated with this protocol" handler to ignore the association set for microsoft-edge:// and just always launches edge, which breaks the way it worked, ref ctrl.blog. We spent some time digging in debugger logs, and basically concluded that it's not fixable without getting stupid. (Daniel, the author, is my partner.)

The replacement you'll see recommended is some sort of compiled script for a hotkey tool that looks for Edge launching, and then picks out the URL from the command line parameters, kills edge again, and launches the rewritten URL. Really ugly, but I guess it works - though sadly I don't remember offhand what it's called.

Am I crazy or is this exactly the kind of thing that gets companies slapped in the EU?

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Yeah I use Start is Back for that and small taskbar icons. The software normally costs money, but the dev is Russian. None of the payment processors would work with him, so he just said "gently caress it, I'll make it free until things change" which imo is pretty cool of him.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

FunOne posted:

Nah, nothing major that I can think of on the Windows 11 side.

I've updated my laptop already. I just can't get squared on the cloud-first OS stuff. I really don't like the idea that someone else has access to reset my password, or auth in to my machine. Ever.

I really didn't like that setting up the fingerprint required me to also setup an insecure PIN (like a drat tablet!) instead of just using the password I already had setup.

Is this the current version of "thats why you need NT/Enterprise/Pro/Workstation" Windows?

Iirc, pins are local only, can't be automated from within Windows, and failed attempts are cut off at like eight before it locks you out until restart. It's dumb it doesn't let you use password as your backup, but it's not really appreciably less secure for realistic normal people threat models, imo.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

down1nit posted:

Windows doesn't know it crashed. That usually is hardware related.

A deliberate, thorough cleaning is seldom a bad thing for any electronics, starting there may be a pretty good idea you have.

And also goons lol

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Quixzlizx posted:

I honestly don't know what to tell you when you're acting like I'm insane for not wanting every modification to an open file to be immediately saved over the original copy. I don't want to have to make another copy of an Excel file every single time I have to open an existing one, then copy it back over to my OneDrive folder if I decide I want to keep any modifications I made.

I would say over 50% of the time when I'm using Excel, I'm opening some sort of template or reference document, or testing additions to a workbook/workflow, and don't want any fiddling I do in it to be saved unless I approve of the changes first.

It honestly sounds like you want one drive to work like, idk, a git repository?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Gnarly Sheen posted:

7zip... What we thinkin?

Iirc, the 7zip guy steadfastly refuses to support the Windows 11 way of doing things. There's a fork, Nanazip, where the owner is at least trying. As in, it can add an entry to the context menu in Windows 11, without making you hit "Show more options."